Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AOPA - Positioning to be a CBO?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AOPA - Positioning to be a CBO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone here believe for a minute that the FAA is not at least partial author of the AMA's safety code, I mean over the year's the FAA has basically laid the groundwork, with possibly some back and forth and a few compromises. I really wonder how the FAA would interact with a second CBO coming on the scene, as far as making safety rule suggestions. Do you think the AMA would try to file suit against a competing CBO for infringement on there intellectual property? I'm thinking the FAA would require such similar guidelines that it could turn into a fiasco. Just some more food for thought.

Last edited by Tipover; 08-11-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:37 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMA doesn't hold a copyright on common sense safety practices, there's nothing really proprietary about what they have written.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

re read the link in the first post of this thread. they seem to be showing some interest in small aircraft use.
i just noted how easy it would be for an already existing org to expand into the small aircraft world, if they were so inclined.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

Read it already. Again, most of what you see there is common sense stuff. I guess we'll see if others get in on the whole CBO thing, but as I noted earlier it remains to be seen what the motivation would be.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Tipover

I think when the right individuals realize they're in a favorable position, and they see the need, that they may consider becoming a CBO simply because they can. There are still those well off business types around that maintain higher than average ethical standards.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:15 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by porcia83
Read it already. Again, most of what you see there is common sense stuff. I guess we'll see if others get in on the whole CBO thing, but as I noted earlier it remains to be seen what the motivation would be.
The bottom line would be a motivation? AOPA is another insurance middleman with a community wrapped around it, much like the AMA.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:23 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipover
Does anyone here believe for a minute that the FAA is not at least partial author of the AMA's safety code, I mean over the year's the FAA has basically laid the groundwork, with possibly some back and forth and a few compromises. I really wonder how the FAA would interact with a second CBO coming on the scene, as far as making safety rule suggestions. Do you think the AMA would try to file suit against a competing CBO for infringement on there intellectual property? I'm thinking the FAA would require such similar guidelines that it could turn into a fiasco. Just some more food for thought.

The AMA has the same basic safety code long before the FAA became involved in model operations. I don’t think the FAA had anything to do with the safety code if they did we would have more restrictions including
a hard 400 ft altitude limit.

Last edited by ira d; 08-12-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Tipover

Originally Posted by ira d
The AMA has the same basic safety code long before the FAA became involved in model operations.
Like how long ago?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
The bottom line would be a motivation? AOPA is another insurance middleman with a community wrapped around it, much like the AMA.
Altruism or profit....I think most companies would go with bottom line.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:48 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:42 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like how long ago?
I have been in the hobby about 23 years and in that time I have seen few changes in the safety code other than turbines operations and the turbines have been mostly the same I would say for the last 10 years.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Tipover

I would think the FAA became concerned with the advent of modern RC equipment. Here's an advisory from June 1981, and I'm pretty sure I've seen one from the mid 70's, but I'm having a hard time finding it now.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...ular/91-57.pdf

Last edited by Tipover; 08-12-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

I would think the FAA became primarily concerned with the advent of modern RC equipment. Here's an advisory from June 1981, and I'm pretty sure I've seen one from the mid 70's, but I'm having a hard time finding it now.

Of course they did, you are spot on.

And of course they should have. The technology presents a clear potential security threat, as well as a safety and quailty of life issue for the public. The FAA has a clear mandate , and in fact obligation to deal with those issues.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:32 PM
cj_rumley

I would think the FAA became concerned with the advent of modern RC equipment. Here's an advisory from June 1981, and I'm pretty sure I've seen one from the mid 70's, but I'm having a hard time finding it now.

it's a good, concise advisory document, all that a halfway intelligent, responsible person needs to fly model aircraft safely. Some need a mommy to tell them what to do in much more detail. For those, a CBO has lobbied Congress to include their rules in federal law. Even that AC has been revised to reference the CBO's rules. Look for rev A.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Our dues hard at work!!!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Tipover

Here we go, posted by Boombang over on RCG. It's the same basic rules that became 91-57. Looks to have been published in American Aircraft Modeler in November 1972. Wasn't American Aircraft Modeler Association the forerunner to the AMA?

Old 08-12-2016, 10:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hmmm...a partnership with the FAA even back then? And here I was thinking the FAA was only involved with modeling because of drones. Go figure!
Old 08-13-2016, 12:18 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

the no room for doubt wording of item C is rather interesting.

and no, the AMA has been the AMA since 1936, and i do not remember any previous org. now, that mag, American Aircraft Modeler, may have been the one AMA bought out to serve as the foundation for Model Aviation magazine.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:30 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
Hi Mongo ,

AC 91-57 issued June 1981 was just as clear , in section 3 "operating standards" subsection c it states ;

" Do not fly model aircraft higher than 400 feet above the surface ."

This is a complete sentence that the wordsmiths here have argued in the past is somehow modified by the next sentence ;

"When flying within 3 miles of an airport , notify the airport operator , or when an air traffic facility is located at the airport , notify the the control tower , or flight control station ."

to mean that the 400 foot limit was only in effect when closer than 3 miles to an airport . Now , having some fairly extensive FAA prescribed training I feel confident in making the statement that the stand alone complete sentence that begins section 3 subsection C has no ambiguity whatsoever , the FAA's intent at the time was that no model aircraft will fly above 400 feet . The fact that the 400 foot limit went uninforced all the years since the official proclamation contained in 91-57 is , I believe , nothing more than an indicator of how well our hobby did all those years of not making a menace of ourselves to full scale operations .

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:53 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Mongo ,

AC 91-57 issued June 1981 was just as clear , in section 3 "operating standards" subsection c it states ;

" Do not fly model aircraft higher than 400 feet above the surface ."

This is a complete sentence that the wordsmiths here have argued in the past is somehow modified by the next sentence ;

"When flying within 3 miles of an airport , notify the airport operator , or when an air traffic facility is located at the airport , notify the the control tower , or flight control station ."

to mean that the 400 foot limit was only in effect when closer than 3 miles to an airport . Now , having some fairly extensive FAA prescribed training I feel confident in making the statement that the stand alone complete sentence that begins section 3 subsection C has no ambiguity whatsoever , the FAA's intent at the time was that no model aircraft will fly above 400 feet . The fact that the 400 foot limit went uninforced all the years since the official proclamation contained in 91-57 is , I believe , nothing more than an indicator of how well our hobby did all those years of not making a menace of ourselves to full scale operations .
The revised AC91-57A says
e. Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feet above ground level (AGL)
The revised version is in effect and though it includes the CBO crap, it is still advisory, i.e. compliance is voluntary. It is all that indie modelers need for authorization to fly, and frankly all I need to fly, even at an AMA chartered club site. It is the real alternative to Sec 336, not Part 107 as has been said in this forum.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

CBO crap aside....happy model aviation day.

Is this a great time to be involved if this hobby or what?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:23 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by porcia83
CBO crap aside....happy model aviation day.

Is this a great time to be involved if this hobby or what?
Yes, put the CBO crap aside. It is Celebrate Your Lakes Day, International Left-Handers Day, National Filet Mignon Day, and National Garage Sale Day. Model Aviation Day........BTDT, gave tribute to AC91-57. Next comes celebration of Filet Mignon. Every day is left-handers day and garage sale, I'll pass on that.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:53 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yes, put the CBO crap aside. It is Celebrate Your Lakes Day, International Left-Handers Day, National Filet Mignon Day, and National Garage Sale Day. Model Aviation Day........BTDT, gave tribute to AC91-57. Next comes celebration of Filet Mignon. Every day is left-handers day and garage sale, I'll pass on that.

Just got back from one of the fields I fly at and none one had a clue about Model Aviation day. I did celebrate Filet Mignon Day but on Thursday I was a bit early.

Mike.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Tipover

Originally Posted by mongo

and no, the AMA has been the AMA since 1936, and i do not remember any previous org. now, that mag, American Aircraft Modeler, may have been the one AMA bought out to serve as the foundation for Model Aviation magazine.
Found this on the AMA website, but they don't mention the exact timeline. Apparently no association with the American Aircraft Modeler magazine? It would be very interesting to know the AMA safety code as it existed in 1972,

http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/ama_history.aspx

First known as the American Academy of Model Aeronautics (AAMA), the organization dropped 'American' from its official title within a few years. The AMA’s first mailing address,1732 RCA Building, Rockefeller Center, New York, solidified its legitimacy in 1936. Later that year, the headquarters of the AMA moved to Dupont Circle, Washington D.C. as part of the National Aeronautic Association (NAA).

Last edited by Tipover; 08-13-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Tipover

Ah ha! Further down the same page from my previous link. I knew there must be a connection.

In 1966, the AMA approached the publishers of American Aircraft Modeler (AAM) magazine about the possibility of incorporating a section called AMA News into their magazine rather than printing the small but costly MA. AMA members received AAM featuring AMA News as part of their membership beginning with the July/August 1966 issue and ending with the March 1975 issue. AAM went bankrupt in February of 1975, leaving the AMA with no means to communicate with its members. AMA officers realized that a magazine rather than a newsletter was more beneficial to AMA members, and thus resurrected MA as a magazine. To this day, AMA members continue to receive MA as a member benefit.

Last edited by Tipover; 08-13-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.