Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is the largest SIG in the AMA devoted to MR/Drone racing? Yup, looks that way!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Is the largest SIG in the AMA devoted to MR/Drone racing? Yup, looks that way!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:41 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With fpv racing a racer wants an experienced pilot as their spotter preferably another fpv racing pilot. That person will be familiar with the course, and will know and understand the specific race rules ,how things work and are run. A racing pilot,in my opinion, would not want someone from the audience or the sidelines spotting them..............it just wouldn't be good for the pilot and it wouldn't be safe.

Again, as far as mgp, I believe it is a tightly focused group based solely on fpv racing where pilots set up, run, and participate in their races. Yes some may bring a friend or family member to help set-up but I doubt they are members. With the way ama qualifies a sig those folks could be members but I don't think many if any non-flying friends,family members,wives,husbands, etc are joining mgp.

If they are I don't see how mgp is breaking or can break that down to satisfy items 2 & 4 on the ama document to qualify as a sig. http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/158.pdf
Perhaps like many things with the ama, this sig qualification document is outdated and needs to be updated.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:56 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
With fpv racing a racer wants an experienced pilot as their spotter preferably another fpv racing pilot. That person will be familiar with the course, and will know and understand the specific race rules ,how things work and are run. A racing pilot,in my opinion, would not want someone from the audience or the sidelines spotting them..............it just wouldn't be good for the pilot and it wouldn't be safe..
Hi Brian,

From watching just one event aired by ESPN, the National Drone Championships held at Governors Island, NYC, I can see that safety was well considered by the organizers. The primary safety action taken IMHO was provision of a safety net, apparently of bird netting, separating spectators from the race course and also apparently in place at the initiative of the organizers as I know of no AMA Safety Code Doc 550 mention of that. I just see no incremental contribution to safety in such an environment by the AMA spotter rule, and would like you expand a bit on why you think flying drone races wouldn't be safe without it.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:03 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This info comes from our group member who raced at Governors Island and Hawaii. He said that the organizers at the GI race had to take down a good portion of the track and redo it because the ama told them it was not safe for spectators. If they worked more closely with the ama from the start possibly that issue could have been adverted.

For spotters ,well ,in fpv racing things happen so fast a pilot needs or would want someone who is experienced in racing, knows the safety guidelines, knows how races work so they can assist them properly. At jet rallies a pilot wants another experienced ,event registered pilot as a spotter and I believe at some events that is the only person that is allowed to be a spotter.
Now not all pilots make good spotters that is for sure. I'll bet we have all had a fellow pilot spot for us at the flying field and do a not so stellar job.
At events where there are spectators the pilot and spotter need to be experienced,knowledgeable ,and on their game.

This is a problem with fpv racing as I believe (using mgp as an example) that a large number of members flying in their own little groups are not ama members and do not hold a Ham tech license.
Now someone doesn't have to be an ama member or have a ham license to fly safely but those folks are probably in the minority. Bad habits are formed early !
Old 11-09-2016, 04:16 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
This info comes from our group member who raced at Governors Island and Hawaii. He said that the organizers at the GI race had to take down a good portion of the track and redo it because the ama told them it was not safe for spectators. If they worked more closely with the ama from the start possibly that issue could have been adverted.

For spotters ,well ,in fpv racing things happen so fast a pilot needs or would want someone who is experienced in racing, knows the safety guidelines, knows how races work so they can assist them properly. At jet rallies a pilot wants another experienced ,event registered pilot as a spotter and I believe at some events that is the only person that is allowed to be a spotter.
Now not all pilots make good spotters that is for sure. I'll bet we have all had a fellow pilot spot for us at the flying field and do a not so stellar job.
At events where there are spectators the pilot and spotter need to be experienced,knowledgeable ,and on their game.

This is a problem with fpv racing as I believe (using mgp as an example) that a large number of members flying in their own little groups are not ama members and do not hold a Ham tech license.
Now someone doesn't have to be an ama member or have a ham license to fly safely but those folks are probably in the minority. Bad habits are formed early !
Thanks for the update and the insight. Funny you bring up the FCC Ham Lic. Many have no clue that they are limited ( by law) as far as how much power their unit may transmit.

Mike