Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should the AMA charge a membership fee for children.

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Should the AMA charge children to join?
Yes, they should pay just like we do!
42.31%
No, let them keep their piggy banks safe!
57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Should the AMA charge a membership fee for children.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:26 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
That goes without saying, I would however have the free membership expire every year and those interested would have to renew every year.
I believe they do expire every year as does any other membership..

Mike
Old 11-02-2016, 10:45 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I believe they do expire every year as does any other membership..

Mike
Nope, my 10 year old grandson is good to go for 9 more years, already has logged 5 freebie years. Tnx for the reminder............need to sign up baby sister too while the deal is on.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:41 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Nope, my 10 year old grandson is good to go for 9 more years, already has logged 5 freebie years. Tnx for the reminder............need to sign up baby sister too while the deal is on.

I had no idea I was just working off the AMA application. Learn something new everyday.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails AMA App..pdf  
Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The youth membership card actually has the expire date on it, and it's when they are 19.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I got to thinking, I still believe their should be some sort of cost but if they are a members family than the family may opt for only one MA thus reducing costs?
Old 11-02-2016, 02:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
I got to thinking, I still believe their should be some sort of cost but if they are a members family than the family may opt for only one MA thus reducing costs?
They can actually opt for no MA at all, saving even more money. I only get one MA mag, my son does not get one.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:11 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
They can actually opt for no MA at all, saving even more money. I only get one MA mag, my son does not get one.
You mean it saves the AMA money, not the child or his parents, right? Dues don't change, they just get one mag. Instead of two. Here I thought this whole thread was about value for our youth/families!

Astro
Old 11-02-2016, 02:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Trying to hard.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:35 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I stay on topic and it srill ain't good enough for you. SHOCKING. 😀
Old 11-02-2016, 05:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
You mean it saves the AMA money, not the child or his parents, right? Dues don't change, they just get one mag. Instead of two. Here I thought this whole thread was about value for our youth/families!

Astro
Originally Posted by astrohog
I stay on topic and it srill ain't good enough for you. SHOCKING. 
I know this is the desired result of the comments, but I'm making a sincere effort here for the sake of clarity. I think you know what the topic of the thread was, and you answered the question earlier and I said thank for the input, just as I did every other onpoint response to the question. The topic was a poll with a simple yes no question:

[h=2]Poll: Should the AMA charge children to join?[/h]
That was it. You took one comment and used it to launch into what you thought the thread was about to you.....value for youth, adults, a shot at AMA, and the magazine got in there too, and of course, the personal zinger. I don't know if this is a continuation of the whole effort to respond to every one of my posts, or you're genuinely interested in a conversation about perceived value and the magazine etc, but surely there can be one thread that doesn't go down the usual path right? There's been no spin here, no arguments, no zingers up to now, just some conversation and an exchange of ideas. Would it make a difference if I just said please, let's keep this one on the straight and narrow? Obviously I can't control how the thread goes, I can only ask.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:34 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what is the cost for these freebie memberships? is the underlayment to the poll. Who has an answer?

Lower dues if there is so much in the kitty. Doesn't play well that dues was raised and comments are being made that the AMA is / was flush all along.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:36 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS I have not been getting Model Aviation by email as I am supposed to. Created a ticket on the AMA site earlier this week. It was summarily closed with no explanation, just that the ticket was successfully closed. Great work. It is stuff like this that just makes me shake my head. Problem passed back to me - horrible customer service.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:00 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
So, what is the cost for these freebie memberships? is the underlayment to the poll. Who has an answer?

Lower dues if there is so much in the kitty. Doesn't play well that dues was raised and comments are being made that the AMA is / was flush all along.
No underlayment, just a simple question. Should the AMA charge a membership fee for kids. There are no hard and fast numbers on what it costs to "carry" a free youth membership. The financials reveal operating costs for the whole organization, so there is that bit of data to use as part of the yay or nay decision.

PS I have not been getting Model Aviation by email as I am supposed to. Created a ticket on the AMA site earlier this week. It was summarily closed with no explanation, just that the ticket was successfully closed. Great work. It is stuff like this that just makes me shake my head. Problem passed back to me - horrible customer service.
Don't know the particulars, but in general speaking with someone live is the best way to go. Folks answer the phone in Muncie from my experience, or respond within 24 hours.

800-435-9262

Marcia Deboy Ext 293
Angie Martin Ext 296
Cecelia Pettigrew Ext 297
Old 11-02-2016, 08:08 PM
cj_rumley

BG-

I can only relate that in relative terms, not being privy to actual cost of processing per membership issuance or renewal.

- current freebie deal of issuing membership to the youngster once, remains valid through the year of his/her 19th birthday
- previously memberships for this age group were $1.00/year and renewed annually

I doubt the cost of collecting the $1.00 dues per transaction produced any net revenue and more likely every such transaction was a money loser. If so, giving away free youth memberships saves AMA money.
The old way reminds me of the guy hawking cars on TV "We lose money on every deal, but make it up on volume."