Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Crickets....

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Crickets....

Old 07-25-2022, 11:32 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay guys, this is what I had when I got the boat. It was more for scale looks than anything else. It did work but it couldn't take a hit, which was what happened to it
And this is what I have now. Much more robust but talk about a pain to install due to the internal boat structure. I had to reroute the pushrod from its original location to the right by over an inch(can we say PITA) and then locate the screw holes and tap for the screws, only to find that the metal structure was too thin in some places to tap into or fell into a seam between plates. I ended up filling two of the screw holes with an epoxy/silica fiber mix to give them something to grab and, using the same epoxy mix, glued the bracket to the outside of the transom after removing some of the paint to give bare material to glue to. This was the step I was at when Astro arrived and where I had gone when I was nowhere to be found. I had gone home to get the epoxy and silica and to get some Dremel accessories to clean off the paint and a few other needed items

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-25-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:11 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
Yep, sorry I missed you, I was too busy picking the brains of all the guys running each different class of boat, trying to decide which direction I may want to go and by the time I made it back to your tent, you were nowhere to be found. Glad you got your boat up and running!

Astro
I'd have loved to have been able to be there as well, to have met you & Hydro and to have seen the boats in action
Old 07-25-2022, 12:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

These aren't from last weekend, but it was the last R/C Unlimites points race and my first for the season, if that works for you.
2022 R/C U Bernie Little Memorial - YouTube
Old 07-25-2022, 02:41 PM
Tailspin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are those races at the Gissberg Twin Lakes near Marysville?
Nice scale hydros and looks like a lot of fun!
I went there many years ago to watch the races.

Steve

Old 07-25-2022, 04:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

The ones I linked above were in Ellensburg on July 10th. That said, we raced at Twin Lakes this past weekend. We will be back at Twin Lakes on August 27(test and set up day) and 28th(race day) if you want to come out.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gee, is it just me or did the thread get quiet really quick? Maybe we should start talking about the faults of the AMA again, to liven things up a little
Old 07-26-2022, 01:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Tailspin and Astro, I have something you guys might be interested in.
A few weeks ago, I had told some people about the Columbia Cup hydroplane races coming up this weekend. Two people said they wanted to go so, accordingly, I ordered four arm bands for park and pits access and two parking passes. You can probably guess what happened next. One was told she couldn't have the time off due to scheduling issues and the other claims he can't afford to go, having bills to pay. Obviously, the second parking pass and two bands are for the wife and I since I'm definitely going and the wife wants to visit a friend in Kennewick one evening
So, this leaves me with a parking pass and two armbands, if either of you would like them. Since I got them at a discount, all I ask is for my cost and not the $100 face value.
The bands get you access to:
  • the entire Columbia Park, including the pit area
  • all of the full sized and scale races
  • vintage heats of boats from the HARM which will include the 1974 Pay'N Pak, 1977 Atlas Van Lines, the brand new 1979 Squire Shop and the 1980 Miss Budweiser
  • an air show that has, in the past, included vintage and WWII aircraft, modern jets and demonstration teams
  • testing and qualification runs and the "Dash for Cash", a $10,000 three to five lap sprint, winner takes all
Sound interesting? If so, let me know and we'll work something out. If you want more information as to what's all going on, here's the website:
https://waterfollies.com/

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-26-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:26 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a very generous offer Hydro! Normally, I would jump all over that, but I was just on vacation last week and I just found out my truck needs u-joints and is going in the shop Friday and won't be done until next Wednesday.

I've been to both Seafair and the races in Detroit, it would've been nice to be able to add Columbia Cup!

Thanks again for the very generous offer, wish I could take you up on it.

Astro
Old 07-26-2022, 07:28 PM
Tailspin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I would love to watch the Thunder boats race again. Thanks for the offer but I think it's going to be way too hot in the Tri-Cities next weekend for this fat old man! Maybe the race will be televised on this side of the hill.

Steve
Old 07-26-2022, 08:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Nope, not on TV. You might find it on the internet but it's just not the same, something I'm sure you are well aware of.
How hot can triple digits be? I'm no spring chicken and I'll be out there all weekend
Old 07-27-2022, 02:20 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Aside from hosting F3A team selections, NATs, National fun fly etc. AMA gives scholarships. They have a flying site assistance program

But the big difference is that the AMA lobbies government.
Both NAR and Tripoli ( rocketry organizations ) work with goverment and the FAA with great success. Both are smaller in membership but manage to get things done. Neither has the bureaucracy the AMA does. Both also manage to involve to youth of America. I won't even mention the help they give to their sections.
Go figure

https://rocketcontest.org/

https://www.nar.org/

https://www.tripoli.org/

Here's the latest on RID from the AMA.
https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...nes-draw-near/

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-27-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:35 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

I think you hit on the main difference, size. Then we have different flight times. R/C aircraft flight times range anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours. Can you fly a rocket BLOS? Is the general public developing a fear of model rockets? Does the DOD have issues with model rockets?

Not really a direct comparison IMO. Don’t get me wrong, I think the AMA could be doing a better job. They are stuck in old school thinking. But then again 90% of their membership is old school. They gambled on “ forced “ membership and pushed the FAA to make a decision if membership was required. Think about what would have happened had membership been required. Would RFID been required if everyone were flying from FRIAs? Sure, it saves them $85 plus club dues but how much are a couple RFID modules going to cost? Could it be said that the “ Park fliers “ without a structured training program suffer more crashes? Plausible?
Old 07-27-2022, 06:00 AM
rcmiket

I think you hit on the main difference, size. Then we have different flight times. R/C aircraft flight times range anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours. Can you fly a rocket BLOS? Is the general public developing a fear of model rockets? Does the DOD have issues with model rockets?

Not really a direct comparison IMO. Don’t get me wrong, I think the AMA could be doing a better job. They are stuck in old school thinking. But then again 90% of their membership is old school. They gambled on “ forced “ membership and pushed the FAA to make a decision if membership was required. Think about what would have happened had membership been required. Would RFID been required if everyone were flying from FRIAs? Sure, it saves them $85 plus club dues but how much are a couple RFID modules going to cost? Could it be said that the “ Park fliers “ without a structured training program suffer more crashes? Plausible?
We hold a waiver to 15,000 feet. I deal with the FAA monthly when we fly to activate a NOTAM. Just who as a recreational flying is flying for a "couple of hours" . Let's keep this in perspective "Public fear" driven by the government. Now that crap started when the drone craze started back a few years. 99% of those sold were either crashed on the first flight or sit in closets across the country. The AMA jumped thinking it would swell the membership and they were wrong. My whole point is NAR and Tripoli smaller organizations ( and IMO better run) seem to work with the powers to be and get us what we need to fly rockets. Time will tell how this pans out. I'm very interested to see just how this whole FRIA thing is handled. Just my 2 cents.

Mike
Old 07-27-2022, 06:34 AM
speedracerntrixie

Mike, sailplanes routinely fly for a couple of hours. To be LSF level 5 requires a flight of 8 hours.

Bottom line is there are more security concerns with R/C flight then Model Rocketry or R/C boats. It stands to reason that the AMA spends more money on lobbying and has more red tape then other organizations.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:46 AM
rcmiket

Mike, sailplanes routinely fly for a couple of hours. To be LSF level 5 requires a flight of 8 hours.

Bottom line is there are more security concerns with R/C flight then Model Rocketry or R/C boats. It stands to reason that the AMA spends more money on lobbying and has more red tape then other organizations.
Bet we fly more high powered rockets than guys with sailplanes flying for a couple of hours....................................Just saying..................FYI R/C boats can carry a pretty good amount of explosives if some jackass wanted to........................................There's evil everywhere , haven't run across any at the flying fields I've visited. The AMA seems more concerned with keeping things as is at Muncie rather than dealing with the needs of the members. We have all tighten our belts and they should do the same.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-27-2022 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:27 AM
speedracerntrixie

My soaring club holds two events a month April-September with an average turnout of 25 guys. Granted we fly a max of 13 minutes during those events but there are sailplanes in the air most of the day. Rocketry, I can’t say as I don’t participate.

A boat with explosives is not going to bring down a jet full of people into a populated area or a multi billion dollar military jet. Granted it could severely damage a cargo ship or cruise liner however the DOD is not focused on that.

Agree, the AMA could be more diligent with cost saving measures. My Model Aviation copy has a 10 minute lifespan.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:00 AM
astrohog

When the AMA chose to romance the drones, they almost insured that they (we) would be regulated and increased the security concerns and red tape exponentially. That was their single biggest misstep in my opinion.

Astro
Old 07-27-2022, 10:23 AM
speedracerntrixie

I don’t disagree with that. I also keep an open mind to as their motivation. Bringing the drones into the fold would have come with an Avenue to educate them. Would the AMA been successful with that venture? We’ll never know.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:57 AM
rcmiket

I don’t disagree with that. I also keep an open mind to as their motivation. Bringing the drones into the fold would have come with an Avenue to educate them. Would the AMA been successful with that venture? We’ll never know.
Sure we do.
Based on membership numbers I'd say it was a epic failure. Education was never their reasoning behind that. That whole looking at drones through rose colored glasses and dollar signs was foolhardy at best.

Mike
Old 07-27-2022, 12:13 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Not even close, it was an attempt to get these guys into some safety programming before the FAA came down on everyone.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:34 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Not even close, it was an attempt to get these guys into some safety programming before the FAA came down on everyone.
Still towing the company line I see!

While I don't doubt that MAY have been a talking point around the table, it is clear that the main motivation was for the AMA to become larger, wealthier and (presumably) more powerful.

To think the AMA would be able to have any kind of considerable impact on "educating" the droners is a ludicrous proposition. Name one program that the AMA has rolled out to a large percentage of the membership that affected any kind of behavioral change on any kind of relevant scale.

Astro
Old 07-27-2022, 12:37 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

well andy,
that idea was doomed before they words were even finished being written.
the droner folk are not joiners, and mostly not interested in safety, at all.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:50 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm telling you (not asking you) what the thought process was at the time.

I'm not saying it was or was not a good idea.

Personally I like the concept of the guy going into Best Buy to buy a DJI being introduced to some safety programming. I also agree that many of the FPV crowd aren't into safety rules, though anyone that races Multi-GP is an AMA member and MGP is an AMA SIG

Old 07-27-2022, 12:50 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

Go figure. I was waiting for you to chime in here. I don't believe that for one second, nor expect you to admit it.

Mike
Old 07-27-2022, 12:51 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by mongo
the droner folk are not joiners, and mostly not interested in safety, at all.

That addresses Astro’s question nicely. Most club members are safety oriented. Unfortunately within any group of people you will find those that seem to take safety rather lightly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.