Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Offering Commercial Insurance?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Offering Commercial Insurance?

Old 11-12-2017, 04:25 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Many of the same arguments and "consternation" came about when helicopters first started to become popular..
Actually, This is not the same at all. The divisiveness that came with the popularity of helicopters was internal, between members. NEVER did it escalate to the general public, six o'clock news, or the FAA and the Federal Government.

I do agree that our participation in this hobby is a privilege and not a right. That is precisely why I believe we need to create separation from drones. As long as drones are causing a stir in the public arena, we will be threatened with legislation. Until the advent and proliferation of flying camera platforms (public privacy concerns) and autonomous, BLOS flight (public airspace and safety concerns), modeling has been "off the radar" and largely left to enjoy our endeavors.

Astro

Last edited by astrohog; 11-12-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
Actually, This is not the same at all. The divisiveness that came with the popularity of helicopters was internal, between members. NEVER did it escalate to the general public, six o'clock news, or the FAA and the Federal Government.

I do agree that our participation in this hobby is a privilege and not a right. That is precisely why I believe we need to create separation from drones. As long as drones are causing a stir in the public arena, we will be threatened with legislation. Until the advent and proliferation of flying camera platforms (public privacy concerns) and autonomous, BLOS flight (public airspace and safety concerns), modeling has been "off the radar" and largely left to enjoy our endeavors.

Astro
The divisiveness is the same and likely will never be resolved because unlike helicopter operators the operators of these drones have little or no background in RC modeling or flying in the traditional sense. Escalation to the general public, six o’clock news, FAA etc. is a byproduct of their lack of understanding how fragile our privilege of flying as we have done in the past.

As to your so called right to privacy better check with your lawyer on that one. If it can be viewed from a public place even airspace such as a low flying full size aircraft with camera there is little you can do legally. Someone peeking in your window you may have options under trespass legislation but then again you allow people to come to your door.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:59 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As to your so called right to privacy better check with your lawyer on that one. If it can be viewed from a public place even airspace such as a low flying full size aircraft with camera there is little you can do legally.
We can discuss the legality of privacy all day. The law as it is written now doesn't really matter. If the general public is concerned about flying camera platforms, they will speak out and the legislators will (and have) listen and take action. This very thing is currently happening in municipalities all over the country as we engage in this very discussion.

If we want to stay ahead of the legislation, we best be looking at what the public is saying and work with them in order that we retain our current state of flying PRIVELEGES. After all, there are many more of them than there are of us by a LARGE margin.

Astro
Old 11-13-2017, 05:04 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, the consternation is not from "backwards thinking people" (NICE touch! classy stereotype right there!), but rather from those who understand that drones are so distinctly different than any other type of craft that we fly, that they deserve and need different rules than those we currently abide by. Flying clubs and fields across the country are all facing regulation and insurmountable attacks like no other time in the history of our hobby (regardless of what Rich Hanson states in his November column of Model Aviation. (LOL)).

This regulation is not born from the "traditional" modelers as we have been operating our models in largely the same way for 80 years (regardless of propulsion system, blade configuration, etc). It was not until flying camera platforms and autonomous guidance systems became prevalent that we started to face public outcry and Government regulation. You can choose to deny it, but it just doesn't change the facts.

Regards,

Astro
Well said.

Mike
Old 11-13-2017, 05:08 AM
rcmiket

Many of the same arguments and "consternation" came about when helicopters first started to become popular. I think the difference was the heli group was willing to compromise and work with so called traditional modelers to achieve a common ground. I think this was due to many more heli fliers being from a traditional modeling background and understanding the mechanics of safety and common sense needs.

A much higher percentage of the mulirotor and FPV Drone crowd lack this link to traditional modeling and are not willing to compromise but instead insist that we must change to accommodate them. The many years of safe and responsible operation means nothing to them, as does our needs/wants. All I ever seem to hear is we must change or die.

How stupid to expect us to throw everything out that has laid the groundwork for what you want to do today. No mater what you say flying models, drones or multirotors is not a right its a privilege and you have to earn and work at keeping those privileges or they can be taken away.
Unfortunately many ( not all) of the mutli guys have that attitude.

Mike
Old 11-13-2017, 05:56 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My comment about backwards thinking people is based on a solid 2 dozen conversations about drones and other newer RC vehicles I've either participated in or have observed. We used to be a group that embraced new ideas and new tech, mostly because we used to be a young group. That's how the AMA grew and the hobby in general grew. New things were exciting, not to be feared. Today aeromodeling is past its apex as a culture. We are nostalgic, stagnant, and past oriented. The first signs of death for any organization is a backwards minded approach to current situations, a focus on maintaining tradition. That the killer of innovation and the first step toward becoming irrelevant. So yes, because I love this hobby and the AMA's stated purpose of developing and promoting it, I have no problem calling out those who have a knee jerk reaction to new things just because they create new concerns and new inconveniences.

Consider what would have happened if RC had come out in the social climate of today. Suddenly planes wouldn't be restricted to their control line circles. They can be flown anywhere! They can be used as weapons. The danger factor is increasing! Had our hobby, not to mention society as a whole, not been forward thinking with a mindset to look at the positives and address the risks and new problems creatively, we'd have had the same reaction. Perhaps there would have been regulations proposed to limit radio range or fuel capacity or aircraft size. "Traditional" aeromodelers would have sought to exclude the newfangled equipment from their clubs, stifling the growth that it would up bringing. And those backwards thinking people would have been wrong as our hobby's history clearly shows that RC led to an explosion of growth in our hobby.

FPV, autonomous flight, and quadcopters could do the same if we embrace them. I don't see the negative stereotype that many others do for quad pilots. Sure, there are a few yahoos with no thought for others' safety who do stupid things, but that's always been true with model planes. What I see in the multirotor culture is a group of technically savvy people, many of whom are taking their flying skills to a serious level. FPV racing is as technically demanding as anything we "traditional" modelers do, and getting a commercial FPV license is no walk in the park either. People generally want to be safe and not cause problems, evidenced by the vast majority of drone pilots who fly without incident. I find it interesting that no one in our organization is looking to exclude Q500 pylon racing or RC aerobatics due to the occasional accident that leads to claims on AMA insurance.

So my whole point here is simply that if we as a community adopt a forward thinking mindset, considering the good possibilities that this developing technology brings us, we may well be a part of the next big explosion of growth in the RC aircraft hobby in general. But if we stay focused on the past (which isn't really the past, just a myth of the good old days) we could be dooming our community to fading away in the next 20 years or so. I don't want to be a part of the latter scenario, so I will embrace the new pilots and their new equipment and work toward sharing AMA resources and club fields with them the best I can.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:35 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If we want to stay ahead of the legislation, we best be looking at what the public is saying and work with them in order that we retain our current state of flying PRIVELEGES. After all, there are many more of them than there are of us by a LARGE margin.

Astro
Your right on the privacy issue time will tell how any new changes will hold up in court. I don’t even know if it’s an actual right I do know it’s one of the most misunderstood and misrepresented one if it is. If it is an actual right then I bet federal interpretation would trump municipal. I’m not disputing your thoughts on what’s happening with the AMA over this. I’m thinking that most of your woes are a result of the direction your leadership has chosen.

The ratio of us vs. them I imagine is near the same in Canada though the number of participants in both will be much less. We have the exact same problems and misconceptions that you guys do. The only difference is our organization has refused to have anything to do with the commercial aspect or non-members. We are strictly hobby organization representing members only, leave the enforcing, regulation of the commercial and non-members to Transport Canada (Transport Canada is the same as your FAA)

As such Transport Canada has carved out MAAC and its members so they are allowed to fly as before without the restrictions of the rest. We are exempt from the restrictions of commercial and the general public. Even FPV is allowed. Height restrictions have not been implemented for MAAC members flying at MAAC clubs and MAAC clubs on airport property or adjacent to it have not been affected.

Huge difference from the direction the AMA has chosen to take and the resulting actions of the FAA.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 11-13-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:41 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

My post is in response to Jester's post .

Jester , What you say is true about embracing new technologies , I couldn't agree more and in fact have said more than a few times that anyone who wants to follow the AMA safety code should be made to feel welcome . For real . Now , The AMA has tried to make the hobby based drone flyer part of the fold , by both enticement and force (The CBO debaucle) and neither effort has seemed to produce the desired resulting membership expansion . Remember , the hobby based drone industry is bragging of the Millions of drones sold each year , and if this is true then where IS this huge influx of new members that should accompany such robust sales figures ? Just how much can you embrace , entice , or otherwise lure folks to be members of an organization they seem to want no part of ?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 PM
jester_s1

I agree with you, init4fun, that the AMA has not seen the members they hoped for with embracimg drones. I think there are 2 issues there. First, the AMA was too slow in making a place for multirotors. I remember the threads 8 or 9 years ago about tricopters using helicopter tail gyros for stability and thinking that the AMA should start developing a program for them. But that community took off on its own apart from the AMA. Second, once the AMA did decide to get involved, they didn't offer drone pilots any significant value aside from insurance. Drone pilots don't need a flying site, and the insurance doesn't cover the way most of them fly. All is not lost though, as the AMA can develop what it does for drone pilots and catch them as they mature. Multi GP is a way they could do it-adding value through competition.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:34 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I agree with you, init4fun, that the AMA has not seen the members they hoped for with embracimg drones. I think there are 2 issues there. First, the AMA was too slow in making a place for multirotors. I remember the threads 8 or 9 years ago about tricopters using helicopter tail gyros for stability and thinking that the AMA should start developing a program for them. But that community took off on its own apart from the AMA. Second, once the AMA did decide to get involved, they didn't offer drone pilots any significant value aside from insurance. Drone pilots don't need a flying site, and the insurance doesn't cover the way most of them fly. All is not lost though, as the AMA can develop what it does for drone pilots and catch them as they mature. Multi GP is a way they could do it-adding value through competition.
Because they don't need the AMA or AMA Club Fields to fly. They don't see value in it. It's just that simple.

Mike
Old 11-14-2017, 06:06 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It's the same thing as people that ride trikes or quads offroad. They don't license them or, in some cases, insure them since the vehicle laws in many areas doesn't require it. Now, let's look at the people that buy "drones". What do they plan to do with them? Fly them at the beach, in their yard, in a sport field and just about anyplace else that they think is a prime flying area. Why go to an AMA affiliated club and have to share the airspace with people flying old fashioned airplanes if you don't have to. And, since probably 95% of the people that fly them are male, if they can use the onboard camera to check out chicks without getting caught, so much the better. Better still, if it crashes, you just go down to Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, or your local hobby shop(if you're in a hurry) or order one from one of the internet hobby supply houses and you're back in the air without getting caught. What could be better than that? No need of the AMA or any of its stupid rules and since the law won't ever catch me, why should I worry about any of that crap?
Okay, now that I've described the average "law abiding quad flyer", do we really need to talk about why the AMA is wasting their time and money trying to court this new tech? Hell, the AMA and the local clubs can't even control some of their members flying airplanes outside of the safety code so how do they figure they'll be able to do any better with drone flyers?

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 11-14-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:16 AM
rcmiket

The AMA was drooling over the drone racing as a added source of membership. Didn't happen. Resources wasted in the attempt.

Mike
Old 11-15-2017, 11:52 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok boys, I want to step in here for a second and clear up a misconception that at least one person (if not more) operate here on RCU. When Jester_S1 posted in this thread I had someone reporting the post saying that I should remove Jester's post because he shouldn't be saying things like he did because he was a Moderator here on RCU. So here is the deal guys. Moderators, Community Moderators, and the Admins of RCU have as much right to express their viewpoints on a given subject as any other member. The only restrictions on their posts are that the posts have to follow the same RCU Community Rules that every other member of RCU is held to. So if one of my Moderators wants to come into the forum and express how he feels on a subject I'm not going to lift one finger to take action against him. As far as his post upsetting people, or a group of members, then all I have to say is PLEASE, there has been far worse things posted in this thread than what Jester had to say. You guys have been insulting and pissing each other off for years now, and I've only stepped in when those posts were outside the Rules of RCU. So let's climb off of the high horse and get back to reality.

So let's climb off our high horses and discuss this manner like adults.

Ken
Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Ken, are you saying we have to be good for a day or two?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:40 PM
jester_s1

Back to the topic at hand...
One poster here mentioned that drone pilots won't bother with AMA fees because they go to parks, sports fields, etc to fly. Yet the AMA flourished back in the days of control line when all a guy needed to fly was a reasonably flat acre of land and a few ounces of fuel. Why did control line pilots pay for AMA back then? I think I know the answer, but I'm interested in how those who think the AMA is wasting its resources think the AMA was successful back then when nobody needed access to a club field either.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Hydro Junkie

It's easy to figure out why it used to be the norm and now it's not:
Back in the day, those that flew planes also had to build them. This meant that there was an investment in the aircraft, other than just the cash needed to buy the RTR/ARF stuff being sold now. There was pride in the resulting plane since a plane that looked and flew good reflected well on the person that built it. Information and help with a build was also hard. Having an AMA membership gave those in the hobby access to information that is now readily available through the internet. The insurance provided by the AMA was also something that was felt to be needed by the guys flying the planes, just in case.
Today's quad fliers aren't the same type of people. They will buy an RTR/ARF/quad and claim they don't have the time to build something, even though the people today actually have more free time than their parents did at the same age. They don't wan't to learn how something works or how to build/repair their aircraft. If something happens, the average person will say "So What" and go buy a new aircraft since they figure they can't be caught. Having an AMA membership today means having to follow rules and take responsibility for anything that happens when flying something. It also makes it easier to track an offender if something does happen since someone following the rules will have their name or AMA number on their aircraft
Old 11-16-2017, 05:28 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
It's easy to figure out why it used to be the norm and now it's not:
Back in the day, those that flew planes also had to build them. This meant that there was an investment in the aircraft, other than just the cash needed to buy the RTR/ARF stuff being sold now. There was pride in the resulting plane since a plane that looked and flew good reflected well on the person that built it. Information and help with a build was also hard. Having an AMA membership gave those in the hobby access to information that is now readily available through the internet. The insurance provided by the AMA was also something that was felt to be needed by the guys flying the planes, just in case.
Today's quad fliers aren't the same type of people. They will buy an RTR/ARF/quad and claim they don't have the time to build something, even though the people today actually have more free time than their parents did at the same age. They don't wan't to learn how something works or how to build/repair their aircraft. If something happens, the average person will say "So What" and go buy a new aircraft since they figure they can't be caught. Having an AMA membership today means having to follow rules and take responsibility for anything that happens when flying something. It also makes it easier to track an offender if something does happen since someone following the rules will have their name or AMA number on their aircraft
Pretty much on target. You saved me the time responding.

Mike
Old 11-16-2017, 05:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

We have probably 30 new club members in the last year that are members to participate in the drone races and come out during the week and setup a course to practice. At least 2 of our drone guys i know of used the "sign 3 fly free" program with new drone guys to get free AMA.

We have members that are 107 operators that do it for a living and are out at our field flying to test equipment and train because they can fly out there with nobody bothering them. They are AMA and club members.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:40 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
We have probably 30 new club members in the last year that are members to participate in the drone races and come out during the week and setup a course to practice. At least 2 of our drone guys i know of used the "sign 3 fly free" program with new drone guys to get free AMA.

We have members that are 107 operators that do it for a living and are out at our field flying to test equipment and train because they can fly out there with nobody bothering them. They are AMA and club members.
Which means it's, truth be told, a means to an end. They are probably not there because they want to be but more likely because they were told they had to be. If they weren't testing or training, they probably wouldn't be there. As for the "fly free" program people, just wait until their free AMA membership is up and see if they actually pay to renew it.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:21 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

And I'd point out that your situation, your club's specifically, is far from typical in AMA. Per AMA's own data (charter club search, number of members vs. number of clubs histogram) your 30 new members are the same or more than total members of 49.9% of ALL clubs. So good for you with your 30 MR folks. But that is a very far cry from typical. The unwashed masses that are the vast majority of clubs, 50 members or less, see a far different picture.

These and other statements by AMA leadership indicate why it's so critical that they get out of the echo chamber of the large club large event and spend a lot more time in the other 50% of their clubs ... ones with 30 members or less.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-17-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:05 PM
jester_s1

Maybe I'm just sheltered, but I haven't seen any of the drone pilots that get described in these threads. I could point out the logical fallacies in the thinking of typifying them as being so flaky just to be able to dismiss them, but that's easy enough for anybody to spot. Every drone pilot I know is serious about learning to control his machine and fly it safely. Even if it were only a financial investment (it's not), it's a significant one that very few would take such a cavalier attitude about. The same was said about park flyer pilots a few years ago too, and they've proven to be responsible pilots in general.
BarracudaHockey gave an anecdote of the system working- value has been given therefore drone pilots are spending their money with the AMA and club. I mentioned in a post above that racing events could be AMA's best chance at getting a strong presence in the drone community, so I'm glad to see it working. But no sooner does a success story get shared that someone has to pronounce it a fluke and predict failure for the whole effort. I don't understand that thinking; it sounds like that club is one we could learn from.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:23 AM
rcmiket

Maybe I'm just sheltered, but I haven't seen any of the drone pilots that get described in these threads. I could point out the logical fallacies in the thinking of typifying them as being so flaky just to be able to dismiss them, but that's easy enough for anybody to spot. Every drone pilot I know is serious about learning to control his machine and fly it safely. Even if it were only a financial investment (it's not), it's a significant one that very few would take such a cavalier attitude about. The same was said about park flyer pilots a few years ago too, and they've proven to be responsible pilots in general.
BarracudaHockey gave an anecdote of the system working- value has been given therefore drone pilots are spending their money with the AMA and club. I mentioned in a post above that racing events could be AMA's best chance at getting a strong presence in the drone community, so I'm glad to see it working. But no sooner does a success story get shared that someone has to pronounce it a fluke and predict failure for the whole effort. I don't understand that thinking; it sounds like that club is one we could learn from.
From what I've read and seen the numbers don't back that up. Racing is happening sure and it's fun but far from the huge influx of members the AMA was hoping for. As far as BH's clubs experience that's great but I still feel it's the exception and not the norm. Every new member we have picked up in the last year is a plank, turbine or heli flyer. Some fly mutli's also but were AMA and fliers before getting into multi's. The multi flyers that have approached us about the use of our 2 facilities walked away after we mentioned the insurance requirement along with the club dues. they go from place to place around town and fly till they are run off.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-17-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:43 AM
jester_s1

I don't think anyone is denying that the AMA hasn't seen a lot of new members from the multirotor crowd. Where I think the disagreement lies is whether or not they represent a potential market that should be pursued.
I think of early aeromodeling, which was mostly middle school boys building planes and taking them to parks and playgrounds to fly them. Had the attitude back then been what it is now, the early AMA leadership would have said they'll just go from one place to the next and since they are kids they won't stay with it long enough to spend significant money on it anyway. It's not worth pursuing them. That was probably true of the majority of early modelers, as it is today. But some stuck with it and grew an organization.
Yes, information was the selling point for the AMA back then. Great point from Hydro Junkie. I'll also add the culture was different back then. People wanted to be part of organizations and clubs much more than now. But to say that there simply isn't enough of a demand for a drone specific organization to cater to their interests is to ignore some immense potential. There are already national organizations for drone pilots, several in fact, that are growing. They offer value to at least some groups of pilots, so those pilots pay for them. I believe that like "traditional" aeromodeling before it, the drone hobby will mature (already has a lot actually) and will need a national organization to help it continue to develop. So why sholldn't the AMA step up and be that organization if it can do so without stopping what it does for its current membership?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:33 AM
franklin_m

I don't think anyone is denying that the AMA hasn't seen a lot of new members from the multirotor crowd. Where I think the disagreement lies is whether or not they represent a potential market that should be pursued.
I think of early aeromodeling, which was mostly middle school boys building planes and taking them to parks and playgrounds to fly them. Had the attitude back then been what it is now, the early AMA leadership would have said they'll just go from one place to the next and since they are kids they won't stay with it long enough to spend significant money on it anyway. It's not worth pursuing them. That was probably true of the majority of early modelers, as it is today. But some stuck with it and grew an organization.
Yes, information was the selling point for the AMA back then. Great point from Hydro Junkie. I'll also add the culture was different back then. People wanted to be part of organizations and clubs much more than now. But to say that there simply isn't enough of a demand for a drone specific organization to cater to their interests is to ignore some immense potential. There are already national organizations for drone pilots, several in fact, that are growing. They offer value to at least some groups of pilots, so those pilots pay for them. I believe that like "traditional" aeromodeling before it, the drone hobby will mature (already has a lot actually) and will need a national organization to help it continue to develop. So why sholldn't the AMA step up and be that organization if it can do so without stopping what it does for its current membership?
Your information point intrigued me. So I'm a plank and helo flyer mostly, but bought four drones of various types and sizes. A small indoor one that I built from parts obtained from various sources (frame, fc, brushed motors, props, prop guards). The second was a 220 size one that I got from an online retailer, all I needed to do what add a receiver. The third was a 500 size quad that I assembled from a kit. In each case, I had to load the FC's, configure receivers, tune PIDs, and set up various optional modes.

Back to information. Not once did I even consider AMA as source for information on how to do any of the above. Not building the kits, not configuring the transmitters, not loading and configuring the FCs, not even loading the software on my PC to interface. Why not? Two reasons: AMA doesn't have that information and it was way easy to google the specific model, fc, software etc. on the web and have a very specific solution. Even online boards like RCG, RCU, and HF offer way more detail and really quick turnaround on help requests. In that information battlefield, AMA just can't compete.

I have to wonder if the world is passing them by. They don't seem agile enough to keep up with the market.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-17-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:38 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Just saw the ad for this. Even though it's 3'rd party, when the ama has their name in the web address and their logo on the page, what are people supposed to think their affiliation is ?
https://quote.amadroneinsurance.com/...urce=WWWDirect

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.