Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Bless the AMA for trying , , , , But .......

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Bless the AMA for trying , , , , But .......

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:24 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder as I think a lot of members and non members alike here do, why is it you never see any ads on tv about the AMA? Billions are spent in all types of media to plug products, and I think it`s safe to say most consumers spend more time with their butt parked in front of the idiot box than reading a magazine.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:58 AM
jcmors

I believe we do need to generate articles, exposure, ads in places other than the members only club magazine. The article was great but the people reading it were already AMA members who would have already given some exposure to the hobby to their kids and grandkids.

Perhaps local clubs could contact their local chamber of commerce. If you go to any chamber of commerce website you will usually see listings of things to do in the area. Parks nearby, grocery stores, banks, etc. I have never gone to a chamber of commerce site and seen a local RC flying club listed as something to do in the local area. Why not? Just one way we might get our hobby out there in front of the public.

Of course putting the hobby and our clubs out there like that only does any good if we are accepting of and friendly to, those who do show up s a result.

Other thoughts?
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcmors
I believe we do need to generate articles, exposure, ads in places other than the members only club magazine. The article was great but the people reading it were already AMA members who would have already given some exposure to the hobby to their kids and grandkids.

Perhaps local clubs could contact their local chamber of commerce. If you go to any chamber of commerce website you will usually see listings of things to do in the area. Parks nearby, grocery stores, banks, etc. I have never gone to a chamber of commerce site and seen a local RC flying club listed as something to do in the local area. Why not? Just one way we might get our hobby out there in front of the public.

Of course putting the hobby and our clubs out there like that only does any good if we are accepting of and friendly to, those who do show up s a result.

Other thoughts?
http://www.niagaracounty.com/parks/G...l-Flying-Field

There then lies the rub. I've belonged and visited many, many clubs in my 47 years in the hobby. Most, if not all of the club instructors and some club members really were not happy about bringing in new members, at least not beginners.
Suppose, hypothetically, AMA advertised on the Super Bowl, as a result every RC flying club were inundated with newcomers, who instructors would have to train. A scary thought for each club's instructors. As far as the solo pilots go, many have a serious problem with flying with more than 2 or 3 planes in the air at the same time.
Most instructors claim to like teaching, but most instructors finds giving flight training to be a very stressful endeavor and not something they look forward to doing. Which is probably why some clubs only offer instruction one day a week or on the weekend. Then there is instructor burnout.

Last edited by fliers1; 09-22-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:39 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Stickslammer and jcmors have the same idea I've had for a while , a little bit of mainstream media advertising .

Now fliers1 brings up a very good point indeed , if we had a great sudden influx of new flyers at the club field , whose gonna train/check flight them all ? With the prevalence of good flight sims why not have the new flyers get their first exposures on a flight sim (one purpose written for RC training) and come to the field at least introduced to which stick does what and so on ? I think the real world RC flight training would go a good bit faster if all trainees had a few hours on a decent flight sim .
Old 09-22-2018, 01:10 PM
fliers1

"I am not sure that the average member of the AMA today is concerned about the growth of the hobby. In fact I am reasonably sure he or she doesn’t care. As an organization the AMA and the industry have a common interest in seeing the activity grow. In this sense the AMA and the industry have more in common than the AMA and a large portion of its own membership. The typical AMA member is rightfully interested in what AMA is doing for him, not what AMA is doing for aeromodelling."

Dave Brown 1998 (?)
RCM

Last edited by fliers1; 09-22-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:24 PM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to see TV ads too but I'm afraid it's beyond the AMA Budget. Unless the membership would like to kick in some extra?

Fox was able to charge $5 million for a 30-second spot for the 2017 Super Bowl. About half of AMA's annual revenue.
The average price of a 30-second ad during Game 7 of the 2016 World Series was just over $500,000.
The price for a similar spot during the 2016 Oscars cost about $2 million.

And those are a single 30 second spot. NOT a 30 second commercial shown 2 or more times.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:27 PM
fliers1

I believe Traxxas had tv ads for a while, but haven't seen any lately. I asked members of several clubs how would they feel if I could help to double or even triple their membership in a short period of time. If looks could kill, I wouldn't be here right now. I would like to ask AMA and any industry member the same.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:16 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how expensive, but TV adds during regular programing are nowhere near as expensive as during exclusive programming. an alternative is radio adds,.... much more affordable.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:07 AM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not but newspapers are still printed and have reasonable ad prices.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:15 AM
fliers1

There are some 2500 AMA clubs and approximately 170k -+ members. What is stopping all of those members from talking about their hobby to friends, neighbors and relatives? Ads haven't seemed to work. Our hobby/sport is what I call a W.O.M.B.
Word Of Mouth Business. Imagine if just one member from each club brought in just one new member on a regular basis? Doesn't cost anyone a dime. Going back to the W.O.M.B. lol
Every time I bring up RC flying to anyone, the first thing they say is "I know I'll crash", or "It's too expense". So what I do is get them out to the field and let them (read: twist arms) fly my trainers. Once they realize the plane won't fall out of the sky when they take the tx and I explain that there are tons of previously owned outfits out there, plus how inexpensive many of the good flying foamies are, they quickly change their mind. Not to knock the club system, but too many clubs tend to make newbies jump through a lot of hoops to get a few minutes of stick time.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:08 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by r ward
I don't know how expensive, but TV adds during regular programing are nowhere near as expensive as during exclusive programming. an alternative is radio adds,.... much more affordable.
Radio ads would be good but they would need to be more for the locals where clubs are. And include the local club in the ad. Maybe Muncie could do a 50/50 thing with the local club for the ad?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:15 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by fliers1
There are some 2500 AMA clubs and approximately 170k -+ members. What is stopping all of those members from talking about their hobby to friends, neighbors and relatives? Ads haven't seemed to work. Our hobby/sport is what I call a W.O.M.B.
Word Of Mouth Business. Imagine if just one member from each club brought in just one new member on a regular basis? Doesn't cost anyone a dime. Going back to the W.O.M.B. lol
Every time I bring up RC flying to anyone, the first thing they say is "I know I'll crash", or "It's too expense". So what I do is get them out to the field and let them (read: twist arms) fly my trainers. Once they realize the plane won't fall out of the sky when they take the tx and I explain that there are tons of previously owned outfits out there, plus how inexpensive many of the good flying foamies are, they quickly change their mind. Not to knock the club system, but too many clubs tend to make newbies jump through a lot of hoops to get a few minutes of stick time.
The vast majority of people who get into this hobby already had an interest in either aviation or model building or both. Neither activity holds the interest and fascination for people that they once held.

When I returned to my home town last year (after a 43 year absence), one of the reasons we bought the house we did was because I can hear the Lycomings and Continentals in the pattern at the local airport just 2.5 miles away. I grew up with that sound and God willing I'll live out my life with it.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:34 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
Radio ads would be good but they would need to be more for the locals where clubs are. And include the local club in the ad. Maybe Muncie could do a 50/50 thing with the local club for the ad?
I think local adds might be more effective than national adds. areas where r/c is popular and active are much more well known by the local population than in areas where there are comparatively less flyers and less club activity. it's more likely that adds would be more effective in areas where the activity is generally known about and recognized. our group as whole, is simply not big enough to gather the recognition that catalyzes people to want to be involved unless they already know a club or activity exists in their locality. national advertising is for things that you see in every town and every store, anywhere you go. that condition simply doesn't exist with r/c hobbies.
my club has 7 or so active members, ask around town about r/c flying and few people even know it is here, because the field is 7 or 8 miles out of town on a member's farm and there is no shop with r/c stuff within 45 miles. a few adds on a radio isn't going to change that because there is nowhere for people to go and see what the models are all about. we have an "airport days" in which the club participates, but people come and look because of curiosity ("oh look at all the model planes!"), not inquisition about the club and flying.
bottom line,......, it does no good to hear about the activity and not hear where it can be seen locally. national level adds can't do that. if the AMA wants to help develop membership and activity , it might think about developing a fund assistance program, like the air strip assistance program, that helps fund radio and/or short TV adds in areas where the activity is there, but real well recognized. additionally, clubs should have a policy of putting on public displays more often than a yearly airport show attendance.
maybe weekly adds in a small local newspaper saying where to come see the flying activity every weekend, or something like that.
simply put, too many people don't know it's around, or that our planes are just toys, with that,..... " meant for kids",.... stigma..
Old 09-26-2018, 05:08 AM
fliers1

I think local adds might be more effective than national adds. areas where r/c is popular and active are much more well known by the local population than in areas where there are comparatively less flyers and less club activity. it's more likely that adds would be more effective in areas where the activity is generally known about and recognized. our group as whole, is simply not big enough to gather the recognition that catalyzes people to want to be involved unless they already know a club or activity exists in their locality. national advertising is for things that you see in every town and every store, anywhere you go. that condition simply doesn't exist with r/c hobbies.
my club has 7 or so active members, ask around town about r/c flying and few people even know it is here, because the field is 7 or 8 miles out of town on a member's farm and there is no shop with r/c stuff within 45 miles. a few adds on a radio isn't going to change that because there is nowhere for people to go and see what the models are all about. we have an "airport days" in which the club participates, but people come and look because of curiosity ("oh look at all the model planes!"), not inquisition about the club and flying.
bottom line,......, it does no good to hear about the activity and not hear where it can be seen locally. national level adds can't do that. if the AMA wants to help develop membership and activity , it might think about developing a fund assistance program, like the air strip assistance program, that helps fund radio and/or short TV adds in areas where the activity is there, but real well recognized. additionally, clubs should have a policy of putting on public displays more often than a yearly airport show attendance.
maybe weekly adds in a small local newspaper saying where to come see the flying activity every weekend, or something like that.
simply put, too many people don't know it's around, or that our planes are just toys, with that,..... " meant for kids",.... stigma..
Several years ago a modeler spoke of attempting to increase their membership.

"One of our biggest events for about 5 years running was having two booths in the Old Humble Oil Days. That was a downtown Humble, TX show of all kinds of stuff, booths lined back to back for 6 or more blocks down Main Street. Lots of folks coming by. We had all the things, models of all sizes, simulators, actual LARGE Trainer with Transmitter. and Buddy Cord for demonstrating how actual training worked. Lots of old magazines, with Club info inserted in, Club/Event Flyers for when, where,, contacts and about everything one could imagine for showing our fine facility on Club-Owned 50 acres with 500 ft. shelter, and indoor rest facilities.
Each year, the CLUB AND A LHS DONATED AWARDS including a low cost electric trainer for a raffle at the show.

DID WE EVER GET A NEW MEMBER OUT OF THAT? NOT ONE! Therefore we shut the program down as the club could no longer invest the 3-500 Yankee dollars each year it cost us to show there with ZERO return on investment.

We have advertised and performed the AMA TAG program a number of times. In Sep. '09, we had a huge IMAC event. Sunday afternoon we ran a TAG program. Over 40 - I forget actual number - spectators received both simulator time and actual hands-on training by Club Intro. Pilots. Any new members? Not that I know of."
Old 09-26-2018, 05:55 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Several years ago a modeler spoke of attempting to increase their membership.

"One of our biggest events for about 5 years running was having two booths in the Old Humble Oil Days. That was a downtown Humble, TX show of all kinds of stuff, booths lined back to back for 6 or more blocks down Main Street. Lots of folks coming by. We had all the things, models of all sizes, simulators, actual LARGE Trainer with Transmitter. and Buddy Cord for demonstrating how actual training worked. Lots of old magazines, with Club info inserted in, Club/Event Flyers for when, where,, contacts and about everything one could imagine for showing our fine facility on Club-Owned 50 acres with 500 ft. shelter, and indoor rest facilities.
Each year, the CLUB AND A LHS DONATED AWARDS including a low cost electric trainer for a raffle at the show.

DID WE EVER GET A NEW MEMBER OUT OF THAT? NOT ONE! Therefore we shut the program down as the club could no longer invest the 3-500 Yankee dollars each year it cost us to show there with ZERO return on investment.

We have advertised and performed the AMA TAG program a number of times. In Sep. '09, we had a huge IMAC event. Sunday afternoon we ran a TAG program. Over 40 - I forget actual number - spectators received both simulator time and actual hands-on training by Club Intro. Pilots. Any new members? Not that I know of."
Why should they spend their own money on the stuff when they can see and use it on your club's dime? It was a big show and all but, when push came to shove, they had other things to occupy their time and checkbooks
Old 09-26-2018, 08:01 AM
willig10

I think what most of you don't seem to understand is that the times and technology have changed. For the younger crowd, they are all about computer games and Facebook. They could give 2 --its about learning anything that involves them getting out of the house. For those rare few kids that do have ambition they are few and far between.

Now we need to talk about clubs and flying fields. When you do have a captive audience, I have seen time and time again the "click" stay to themselves and not be friendly to outsiders. And for those who are persistent to keep flying, getting those old guys to open up is very hard at times. Your club may be different. However my job takes me all over the USA and I can tell you from first hand experience that most clubs are stand offish to visitors.

what needs to happen in order to get new blood into the hobby is to start campaigns that target schools, be it junior high or high school or even colleges. The armed forces do it i.e. ROTC etc. don't know if you can pass out flyers or even maybe have a class elective that covers it. I guarantee you though all it takes is for a couple of students to get turned onto R.C. And it will go viral very shortly.

yep guys that takes time, effort and money.

The old old way of doing things is long gone. Kids don't wrench anymore. It's going to take some one on one and getting out of your comfort zone of, well that's the way we always done it. That won't work in today's environment.

im sure there are other ways to get kids involved, as a group I'm betting you can solve it

heres hoping
Old 09-26-2018, 08:15 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by willig10

Now we need to talk about clubs and flying fields. When you do have a captive audience, I have seen time and time again the "click" stay to themselves and not be friendly to outsiders. And for those who are persistent to keep flying, getting those old guys to open up is very hard at times. Your club may be different. However my job takes me all over the USA and I can tell you from first hand experience that most clubs are stand offish to visitors.

what needs to happen in order to get new blood into the hobby is to start campaigns that target schools, be it junior high or high school or even colleges. The armed forces do it i.e. ROTC etc. don't know if you can pass out flyers or even maybe have a class elective that covers it. I guarantee you though all it takes is for a couple of students to get turned onto R.C. And it will go viral very shortly.

heres hoping
From what I've seen is that there are already many aeromodeling school programs in existence. But what happens as far as rc flight instruction goes? I'm sure everyone would agree that giving and taking instruction is something that is an unpleasant experience. Something that I doubt that anyone really looks forward to. Once the paper airplanes, rubber band and free flight is taught in school, few, if any rc flight instructors usually are readily available.

AMA has been preaching to get out there and train kids for decades now, but look where we are.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:13 PM
speed20
My Feedback: (31)

Yeah and I see various clubs in my area of Chicago, the majority of the members are old geezers like myself! When I was a kid in the 60’s, building and flying models was really cool. Now,the airplane is just taken for granted like buses and trains. There is indeed a pilot shortage , but many youngsters getting qualified did NOT start with modeling unless maybe Dad was involved with RC.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:07 AM
Appowner
Banned

Sounds to me like a Mall show might be something your club could benefit from. It would expose you to the public in large numbers. Many with kids along and all with cash to spend. Back n the day when I was more involved in club activities, we always would get several new members from a mall show. And several times that many would at least make the effort to come to the field and watch for a few hours. Great PR!

Last edited by Appowner; 09-27-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:31 AM
Appowner
Banned

That's been my experience as well as my military career took me around the country and the world. In fact, I found clubs overseas to be far more friendly and receptive to new comers than here in the States.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:50 AM
fliers1

I think what most of you don't seem to understand is that the times and technology have changed. For the younger crowd, they are all about computer games and Facebook. They could give 2 --its about learning anything that involves them getting out of the house. For those rare few kids that do have ambition they are few and far between.

yep guys that takes time, effort and money.

The old old way of doing things is long gone. Kids don't wrench anymore. It's going to take some one on one and getting out of your comfort zone of, well that's the way we always done it. That won't work in today's environment.

im sure there are other ways to get kids involved, as a group I'm betting you can solve it

heres hoping
Every year one club has a 2 day public demonstration. They usually attract hundreds of spectators, yet for the most part seldom sign up new members. Several years ago, this club was allowed to fly at a Thunder Birds airshow, where there were 50k or more spectators. The club set up booths and flew several types of RC aircraft before full size aircraft were flown. From what I heard, they didn't sign up any new members as a result.

Getting the word out means nothing if the club doesn't offer the same type of excellent customer service any business finds absolutely necessary.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Appowner
Banned

Every year one club has a 2 day public demonstration. They usually attract hundreds of spectators, yet for the most part seldom sign up new members. Several years ago, this club was allowed to fly at a Thunder Birds airshow, where there were 50k or more spectators. The club set up booths and flew several types of RC aircraft before full size aircraft were flown. From what I heard, they didn't sign up any new members as a result.

Getting the word out means nothing if the club doesn't offer the same type of excellent customer service any business finds absolutely necessary.
Personally I wouldn't expect many if any new members from an Air Show. The people that go to an air show have an interest in aviation to start with and therefore some basic knowledge at the very least. And specifically an interest in full scale. The rest being the disinterested family and friends that "tagged along." I'd venture to say if you polled the audience the majority would already know of the RC hobby and have already elected NOT to participate. Some choosing instead to participate in full scale and the rest for whatever reason being satisfied with their simple interest in full scale.

A mall show IMHO has a better chance at drawing in new members for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it's not in direct competition with the full scale.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:52 PM
fliers1

Originally Posted by Appowner
Personally I wouldn't expect many if any new members from an Air Show. The people that go to an air show have an interest in aviation to start with and therefore some basic knowledge at the very least. And specifically an interest in full scale. The rest being the disinterested family and friends that "tagged along." I'd venture to say if you polled the audience the majority would already know of the RC hobby and have already elected NOT to participate. Some choosing instead to participate in full scale and the rest for whatever reason being satisfied with their simple interest in full scale.

A mall show IMHO has a better chance at drawing in new members for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it's not in direct competition with the full scale.
BTW, that club also puts on an annual mall show and the results are the same...no new members. Who is to say that out of 50k spectators maybe a tiny few would show some interest in RC airplanes?
When I ran a hobby shop, I would ask anyone who came in if they would like to fly a RC airplane. If they said no, I would ask why. Their answer was usually "I know I will crash". Most would first say they were not interested, but once I got them on the store sim and then out to the field, which was 3 miles away, to fly my LT-40, all of a sudden they were very much interested.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:18 PM
jcmors

So... a question. I hadn't thought about it before reading this thread. After the new FAA bill passes (does anyone here seriously doubt that it will?) what happens to trainers and letting folks fly with a buddy box at the club field? Are folks who want to try to learn to fly going to have to pass the FAA test in order to even test it out to see if they are really interested?

I don't think this scenario has been addressed anywhere.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:21 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by jcmors
So... a question. I hadn't thought about it before reading this thread. After the new FAA bill passes (does anyone here seriously doubt that it will?) what happens to trainers and letting folks fly with a buddy box at the club field? Are folks who want to try to learn to fly going to have to pass the FAA test in order to even test it out to see if they are really interested?

I don't think this scenario has been addressed anywhere.
To answer that I would look towards the way the FAA handles full scale students. In short, the guy with the license, in either the left or right seat, is the Pilot In Charge or PIC. He/she is the one held responsible. The other seat can be occupied by any unlicensed, untested individual you wish to put there. I see no reason why RC will not be treated in a similar manner.

As a kid I flew right seat with my Father in our Piper Cherokee for many hours. I could take off and land the thing with no problem. I could talk to towers and ATC for whatever reason. We did a family trip from Michigan to California and back one year. Of the 43 hours clocked on the engine in that trip, I flew 30 of them. My father was always in the left seat and was always able to take over. But I did a majority of the flying. As for a license? I was only 15 at the time. Not old enough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.