Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Google Wings doing live deliveries Australia

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Google Wings doing live deliveries Australia

Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Google Wings doing live deliveries Australia

This is a few days old, but haven't seen it in the forums yet.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...business-news/

They are using a tether to deliver instead of landing or dropping the product.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:56 PM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
This is a few days old, but haven't seen it in the forums yet.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...business-news/

They are using a tether to deliver instead of landing or dropping the product.
What does this have to do with AMA?
Old 04-11-2019, 06:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Nothing, other than the fact that the FAA is still wrangling with the thought of Amazon doing a similar deal here in the US, something that the AMA has had issues with.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:45 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Not sure I would say that the AMA or its membership have issues with drone delivery but perhaps how it is being proposed. It is possible that Amazon can have their drone delivery without affecting AMA membership flying at club sites. It’s unreasonable to throw the 400’ blanket on everyone.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:36 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was unreasonable to have a 55mph speed limit especially for those long expanses of open and often straight highway in our larger states. (Montana and Texas come to mind but many others fit the bill as well.) But guess what? Washington did it! And all in the name of conservation.

Now in the name of whatever, could they restrict a small hobby for the sake of getting your crap to you faster? Learn from history.

And yes, the 55 was eventually turned back. But not until the majority of the public and law enforcement and the courts ignored it. And when the reason behind it, save gas, was proved to be the hoax it was. So ask yourself, will the "majority" of the public, law enforcement and the courts bother standing up for and defending some one million (less than point 3% of the population) playing with their toy airplanes? Put yourself in their shoes and ask, what's in for me?
Old 04-12-2019, 07:17 AM
GSXR1000

I could see this oxymoron in the future from Amazon... A drone delivering a drone, that would be the ultimate oxymoron...
Old 04-12-2019, 07:48 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Appowner
It was unreasonable to have a 55mph speed limit especially for those long expanses of open and often straight highway in our larger states. (Montana and Texas come to mind but many others fit the bill as well.) But guess what? Washington did it! And all in the name of conservation.

Now in the name of whatever, could they restrict a small hobby for the sake of getting your crap to you faster? Learn from history.

And yes, the 55 was eventually turned back. But not until the majority of the public and law enforcement and the courts ignored it. And when the reason behind it, save gas, was proved to be the hoax it was. So ask yourself, will the "majority" of the public, law enforcement and the courts bother standing up for and defending some one million (less than point 3% of the population) playing with their toy airplanes? Put yourself in their shoes and ask, what's in for me?

I think it was perfectly reasonable for the 55 speed limit at the time. We had lots of idiots with 300+ HP muscle cars with inadequate brakes and suspensions killing themselves and others. Our Middle East oil supply wasn't as secure as we needed. The government had the data that supported the drop is speed limit would save lives and help keep us from needing to ration gas again. A great example of that is the 1976 Trans Am that I bought in 1988. The 400 cid engine had been choked down to 185 hp and had 2:70 rear end gears.

Now with the cutrent topic, there is no data that model airplanes are any safety issue to the general public when flown at club sites.Sure there have been some accidents but overall it is safer then a children's soccer league.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:38 AM
GSXR1000

according to this, they have done thousands of deliveries with no incidents.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-...light/10983684
Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 AM
GSXR1000

And I do like the hybrid google model,multi rotor fixed wing concept.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:31 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I think it was perfectly reasonable for the 55 speed limit at the time.
Why does that not surprise me? Ever drive a 500 mile stretch, straight as an arrow, perfect weather and no traffic or cities at 55? How many times did you fall asleep?

We had lots of idiots with 300+ HP muscle cars with inadequate brakes and suspensions killing themselves and others.
You're going to have idiots doing stupid things in every activity. That's why we have Government regulations. Though it is often mis-directed and inadequate. But that's another thread. However, it's funny, we're still killing as many on the roads today as we did back then. But I guess since the overall percentage is lower, that's OK.

Our Middle East oil supply wasn't as secure as we needed.
The US was then and is now the greatest crude oil producer in the world. Right now we rank #10 in total reserves with Canada as #3. Russia is in the top 10 too. But those are numbers that change with exploration and improved technology. Our interest in the middle east is to use up their oil before we use up ours.

The government had the data that supported the drop is speed limit would save lives and help keep us from needing to ration gas again.
Data which has since been proven false. As in, manufactured! Wonder by whom?

A great example of that is the 1976 Trans Am that I bought in 1988. The 400 cid engine had been choked down to 185 hp and had 2:70 rear end gears.
So because of your experiences that must be what everyone experienced? My 73 Cutlass got 23 mpg stock. And it ran as well as I needed. And I bought it NEW!

Now with the cutrent topic, there is no data that model airplanes are any safety issue to the general public when flown at club sites.Sure there have been some accidents but overall it is safer then a children's soccer league.
In pre-drone RC, how many flyers nation wide compared to how many soccer kids? Or Little League? Even post-drone the sports leagues vastly outnumber the estimated one million RC'ers. And RC'ers aren't slamming their bodies into each other, running to exhaustion or throwing balls at each other. Between the numbers and the nature of the activities, I'm not surprised RC has fewer injuries and accidents. And since we have no data as to how many clubs have lost a flying site because of public safety concerns (way to go AMA), your argument is moot. And without searching, I know of at least one club which did. You argue with the forked tongue of a liberal.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 AM
speedracerntrixie

LOL, I should have known better. Once again I attempt to be a part of conversation and you have to stoop to insults in your closing statement. Then you actually wonder why I choose to not take the time to write an answer. Oh and for your information, in the past 5 weeks I have made 4 round trips from Sacramento to Portland. 3 of those trips pulling a trailer at 60 mph. No issues with falling asleep. Perhaps YOUR experience is not everyone else's either. Man I miss the old RCU.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

LOL, I should have known better. Once again I attempt to be a part of conversation and you have to stoop to insults in your closing statement. Then you actually wonder why I choose to not take the time to write an answer. Oh and for your information, in the past 5 weeks I have made 4 round trips from Sacramento to Portland. 3 of those trips pulling a trailer at 60 mph. No issues with falling asleep. Perhaps YOUR experience is not everyone else's either. Man I miss the old RCU.
I've driven that route as well, not very much of it is straight. Going south through Oregon and over the Siskiyou Mountains is far from straight. In fact, it doesn't get really straight until you get south of Lake Shasta. Try running across South Dakota on I-90 or across Nebraska on I-80? Maybe I-70 from Limon Colorado to Lawrence Kansas, only three turns of any consequence along the whole route
Old 04-14-2019, 02:13 AM
Appowner
Banned

Ha! Ha! Ha! You sure write a lot of answers for choosing not to. Especially after I've posted something.
And once again it's YOUR experience that is all encompassing and sets the standard by which all are judged. Get back to us when you've lived life some more.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:06 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I've driven that route as well, not very much of it is straight. Going south through Oregon and over the Siskiyou Mountains is far from straight. In fact, it doesn't get really straight until you get south of Lake Shasta. Try running across South Dakota on I-90 or across Nebraska on I-80? Maybe I-70 from Limon Colorado to Lawrence Kansas, only three turns of any consequence along the whole route

Actually I have driven from Ca to Minneapolis a couple of times. However the 3 of us are off topic again just because Appowner has a need for confrontation. Keep in mind that I gave a my opinion in a respectful manner and he fired back with insults.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Appowner
Banned

Ignored List! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Old 04-14-2019, 09:04 AM
speedracerntrixie

Thank You!!!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading this brings back memories of my Dad driving us over the Siskiyous in our old `46 Ford Woody with the chains on. Sometimes going to ski at Shasta. Up on the rope tow at the bunny slope to snowplow down again. I`m sure I wouldn`t recognize the area today. This was in the mid to late 60s.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:45 AM
speedracerntrixie

I'm sure that at some point I will look upon my trips over the summit with some fondness but right now I am more dreading it. Trip number 5 starts tonight after work and will continue every other weekend until the end of June.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those roads plus a lot of them in West Texas were, as we say, "surveyed with a cannon."