Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA test for RC fixed wing?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA test for RC fixed wing?

Old 09-08-2019, 05:18 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAA test for RC fixed wing?

• Eric Williams (District II) noted that the FAA testing boards seem to agree that the proposed tests need
to be on the level of a 13-year-old. Eric has worked with the FAA from the perspective of a modeler. He
expects the testing result to be something along the line of possibly a 1-hour informational presentation
and then the test.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:17 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

You're talking about the government. Nothing surprises me. It has been said that a camel is a horse designed by a government committee.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:21 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
You're talking about the government. Nothing surprises me. It has been said that a camel is a horse designed by a government committee.
Good one. How about this one: there is no such thing as a temporary government measure.
or: I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:58 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
• Eric Williams.. the proposed tests need
to be on the level of a 13-year-old.
Due to our great school system, at least half of the adults can’t read on a 13 year old’s level.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan

Due to our great school system, at least half of the adults can’t read on a 13 year old’s level.
Most couldn't pass an eighth grade math test from 100 years ago, either.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Most couldn't pass an eighth grade math test from 100 years ago, either.
And who, pray tell, is at fault for that?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:38 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

the department of education...
Old 09-13-2019, 04:48 AM
Hydro Junkie

I was thinking more along the lines of the parents since they let everything happen without saying anything or complaining
Old 09-13-2019, 06:10 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I was thinking more along the lines of the parents since they let everything happen without saying anything or complaining
The Parents prior are the Blind being led by their Blind Parents. Each Generation allows for less, Parents don’t discipline their kids, those kids disrupt classrooms creating a non-learning environment. Those teachers can’t discipline and lack the ability of laws to protect them, other than now here in Florida are allowing teachers to use guns, but can’t use them to discipline kids. Teachers have no business having guns in school. Because the Parents and Teachers don’t discipline, it is left to the police doing the job of poor parenting. Then, Parents get all bent out of shape when their ill mannered 13 year old is disciplined by the police and goes to jail. IMHO 🤔
Old 09-13-2019, 06:21 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
the department of education...
Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Perhaps at first glance , you can see the blame here as being a chain of "who done wrong" , the parents , the department of education , societal erosion , etc .

BUT !

At the end of the day , once the child has grown , doesn't the ultimate responsibility lie with the person who allows his or her self to remain uneducated ? As in , what about taking personal responsibility for correcting areas in one's life that are lacking ?

Yes of course young children need to be properly educated , that much is obvious . But by the time they are teenagers/young adults , by the time they are 18 and we're putting guns in their hands and sending them into combat with our military , they should have already developed the presence of mind to realize that knowledge IS power , and that in order to become powerful the quest for knowledge has to be nothing less than a personally driven lifelong commitment . Making excuses for people's unwillingness to actively help educate themselves leads to all kinds of mollycoddling of people who otherwise should be taking the personal responsibility of taking care of themselves .

The government can't mandate or otherwise force someone to WANT be educated anymore than the government could force someone to want to make other healthy life/lifestyle choices , "Supersized" fast food menu bans be damned ! .....
Old 09-13-2019, 08:31 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Perhaps at first glance , you can see the blame here as being a chain of "who done wrong" , the parents , the department of education , societal erosion , etc .

BUT !

At the end of the day , once the child has grown , doesn't the ultimate responsibility lie with the person who allows his or her self to remain uneducated ? As in , what about taking personal responsibility for correcting areas in one's life that are lacking ?

Yes of course young children need to be properly educated , that much is obvious . But by the time they are teenagers/young adults , by the time they are 18 and we're putting guns in their hands and sending them into combat with our military , they should have already developed the presence of mind to realize that knowledge IS power , and that in order to become powerful the quest for knowledge has to be nothing less than a personally driven lifelong commitment . Making excuses for people's unwillingness to actively help educate themselves leads to all kinds of mollycoddling of people who otherwise should be taking the personal responsibility of taking care of themselves .

The government can't mandate or otherwise force someone to WANT be educated anymore than the government could force someone to want to make other healthy life/lifestyle choices , "Supersized" fast food menu bans be damned ! .....

I assume that most of you guys are older then me, I am 54 and it wasn't until recently that I have no children in the house. These days parents are severely handicapped as to how they can discipline their children. In many states a spanking is considered an assault. Raising your voice is mental abuse, sending them to bed without dinner is physical and mental abuse.

Government has taken our parenting power away, think of all the money the judicial system brings in? How many people the judicial system employs. Our government wants crime to keep that machine running and keep the American citizens in fear.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:12 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi , I briefly talked to one of the district VPS at a swap meet a few weeks and he told me that there was test in works and it was going to have easy questions on it. He also said that FAA is pushing transponders for our RC aircraft just like they have on full size airplanes.
Michael Johnston
Old 09-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by init4fun

BUT !

The way I see it, you want to make our kids smarter, take away their smart phones. They can't do math, the smart phone calculator function does it for them. They can't write, too much time texting so spelling, grammar and actually forming sentences is foreign to them. Some school districts are actually dropping the requirement of being able to write longhand as it's no longer needed. That's news to me, I have to write quite often in my work and doing my hobbies. I've actually been told that if you can't find something on the internet, it doesn't exist. If you can't find an item for sale on the internet, it doesn't exist either.