Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The FAA’s Remote ID Proposal for Drones is Here!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The FAA’s Remote ID Proposal for Drones is Here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 10:01 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

From my understanding the CBO needs to be a nationally recognized organization. Who else besides AMA and FPVFC is one?

ONLY COMMUNITY-BASED SAFETY ORGANIZATIONS CAN APPLY TO ESTABLISH A FRIA

FRIA stands for “FAA-recognized identification area”. A community based organization like the FPVFC or AMA can request specific locations, like their local AMA flying field, be approved by the FAA as a recognized identification area. When flying within the boundaries of a FRIA, your drone would not be required to have remote ID.
Of course this is not set in stone, yet, so procedures are unknown. More than likely there will need to be paperwork to be filled out by the club who maintains the field, but the submission will more than likely be done by the AMA.

As far as CBO, it appears that in order to be recognized as a CBO by the FAA, it needs to be a 501(C)(3) type of organization.

I guess I used "sanction' too loosely, as do others. AMA Sanctions events, and Charters clubs. So the proper term is an AMA Chartered flying field. Charters and Sanction can be easily mixed up since they go hand in hand many times, though with different definitions.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:17 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I guess I used "sanction' too loosely, as do others. AMA Sanctions events, and Charters clubs. So the proper term is an AMA Chartered flying field. Charters and Sanction can be easily mixed up since they go hand in hand many times, though with different definitions.
Actually, I believe the proper term is Chartered CLUB (as opposed to FIELD). I don’t believe there is any such thing as an AMA chartered FIELD.
I’m not trying to pick nits with you, just trying to get a grasp on all the new rules and terminology.
For instance, how would one chartered club with a fixed flying site register their alternative, float-flying site as a FRIA?
Old 01-10-2020, 10:17 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

When I google "Chartered Club", the first definition I get says:

chartered club

noun

NZ a private club licensed to serve alcohol to members

So I guess the AMA uses that term very loosely.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:36 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by astrohog
Actually, I believe the proper term is Chartered CLUB (as opposed to FIELD). I don’t believe there is any such thing as an AMA chartered FIELD.
I’m not trying to pick nits with you, just trying to get a grasp on all the new rules and terminology.
For instance, how would one chartered club with a fixed flying site register their alternative, float-flying site as a FRIA?

AH I see what you are coming from. I use "Club" and "Field" synonymous, as in one means the other. IOW to fly at the field, you need to be a club member or a guest and be required to have an AMA Membership. You can have a club without a field, but not a field without a club, at least that will be the case if this proposal makes it to official status. Private fields will not be able to apply unless it is run by a Club. That really pisses off my friend who has been flying his planes from his back yard for 20 something years now. His land abuts a gravel pit and farm fields, and is no where near an airport. Since he is not a 501 (C)(3) CBO or an AMA Club, he won't be able to register his private field.

The Club can register any and all fields they fly at, there doesn't appear to be any limitations in that regard.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:01 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

The Club can register any and all fields they fly at, there doesn't appear to be any limitations in that regard.
Except as being proposed now, the fields will have to meet the FAA's parameters. And from then on out be slated for expiration.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:13 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipover
Except as being proposed now, the fields will have to meet the FAA's parameters. And from then on out be slated for expiration.
Does the FAA clearly list the parameters that need to be met in order to qualify to be registered as a FRIA? If so, anyone have a link?

Astro
Old 01-10-2020, 08:43 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
Does the FAA clearly list the parameters that need to be met in order to qualify to be registered as a FRIA? If so, anyone have a link?

Astro
Nope. All they have said is they anticipate about 90% os current AMA fields to qualify as a FRIA. Coincidentally 10% is about the same percentage of AMA fields in controlled airspace. My suspicion is that there will not be any FRIA sites in controlled airspace.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:39 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

was wondering if i was the only one that noticed that 10% coincidence...

was definitely NOT going to be the one that brought it up.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:50 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I did some digging on the FAA site, and some googling of the net. Seems like the FAA has not released their Advisory (that the law mandates them to do) about how to register/qualify as a CBO. While the law has a few points, the most germain is that they be a 503(c) organization. Nothing about how broad a geographic area they need to cover. So at this point, even a small family could form their own 503(c) group to oversee their "club", register, and then apply for their backyard to be a FRIA. But I'm sure there will be forthcoming details to prevent that. That's the worst part of this - all the undefined terms!

And they spent years (how many man-hours?) getting to this sorry stage?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:40 PM
FUTABA-RC

The law says 501(c)3

``(h) Community-based Organization Defined.--In this section, the
term `community-based organization' means a membership-based association
entity that--
``(1) is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
``(2) is exempt from tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
``(3) the mission of which is demonstrably the furtherance of model aviation;
``(4) provides a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for all aspects of model aviation addressing the assembly and operation of model aircraft and that emphasize safe aeromodelling operations within the national airspace system and the protection and safety of individuals and property on the ground, and may provide a comprehensive set of safety rules and programming for the operation of unmanned aircraft that have the
advanced flight capabilities enabling active, sustained, and controlled navigation of the aircraft beyond visual line of sight of the operator;
``(5) provides programming and support for any local charter organizations, affiliates, or clubs; and
``(6) provides assistance and support in the development and operation of locally designated model aircraft flying sites.

Last edited by FUTABA-RC; 01-11-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:16 AM
scott page

There are no "CBO's established yet. Currently AMA will likely be a CBO. Flite Test intends to be a CBO. A group that soon to be more known called Professional Modelers of America (PMA) intends to be a CBO. All of these groups have been in close contact with the FAA and I think we can expect all to become CBO's.
Flite Test is more of a park flyer DIY from foam oriented audience. I expect they will be primarily be advocates for the Limited class of RID.
PMA is comprised of high flyers -- gliders, IMAC, Turbine, and F3A Precision Acrobatics. I get the impression that PMA is fine with Standard RFID so long as they can fly at very high altitudes, although they have not made a formal statement to that point. What PMA has said is they intend to work with FAA to sanction the fields they will fly with a greatly extended ceiling
AMA is -- well AMA -- trying to do everything for everybody and seeming to do little for most.

The most disturbing part of the RFID Proposal is section XV which addresses FRIAs -- what we in AMA call "Flying Fields". Initially aircraft without RFID can fly at FRIAs -- and it appears most AMA fields will be eligible to be a FRIA. However section XV spells out the intent to progressively eliminate all FRIAs via attrition in several ways. They also make it clear that they intend to never allow more FRIAs and never allow a FRIA to move to a new location. AMA Club fields to continue to exist if they were not a FRIA - but only if the aircraft flew using the Standard RFID or limited RFID rules.

One of the things about both Standard and Limited RFID that disturbs me is it will require a payed subscription service to monitor these aircraft -- and the subscription appears to be for each aircraft -- just as the new registration system is for each and every aircraft.

I'm proud of myself. I wrote this entire post without cursing once.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:00 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other problem with the FRIA language is subtle, but I suspect it to be important as it deals with property rights etc. How can AMA, which neither owns, nor leases, nor directly controls the land can apply for an FRIA? That tells me it has to be individual clubs that apply. And an individual club does not meet the definition (in law) of a CBO. Yes, it's a fine point. Given the FAA's desire to eventually end FRIAs, could this be a poison pill that REALLY limits who can apply for one? Or creates a reason to challenge that provision in court?

And additionally, what about the property owner? Can a third party apply for a federal designation w/o the signature of the property owner? I could see some not wanting the attention (and possible additional liability) of being a formally designated FEDERAL site for an activity.

Last edited by franklin_m; 01-12-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:33 PM
scott page

Old 01-14-2020, 01:59 PM
acdii

Hmm, I wonder how this would affect a flying field that is part of a full size private air strip. Do GA aircraft have ID systems other than the N number?
Old 01-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Hmm, I wonder how this would affect a flying field that is part of a full size private air strip. Do GA aircraft have ID systems other than the N number?
In a word, YES. All general aviation aircraft are required to have a transponder on board. If you ever watch shows/movies where planes are flying, there are times that the plane gets into trouble and the pilot is told to "SQUAWK", a function of the transponder that high lights that aircraft on the radar screen being used by the controller.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:51 PM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
In a word, YES. All general aviation aircraft are required to have a transponder on board. If you ever watch shows/movies where planes are flying, there are times that the plane gets into trouble and the pilot is told to "SQUAWK", a function of the transponder that high lights that aircraft on the radar screen being used by the controller.
Not exactly.

Required to be used when:

• At or above 10,000' MSL over the 48 contiguous states or the District of Columbia, excluding that airspace below 2,500' AGL;
  • Within 30 miles of a Class B airspace primary airport, below 10,000' MSL
    • Balloons, gliders, and aircraft not equipped with an engine driven electrical system are excepted from the above requirements when operating below the floor of Class Alpha airspace and/or outside of a Class Bravo airspace and below the ceiling of the Class Bravo airspace (or 10,000' MSL, whichever is lower);
  • Within and above all Class C airspace, up to 10,000' MSL;
  • Within 10 miles of certain designated airports, excluding that airspace which is both outside the Class Delta surface area and below 1,200' AGL
  • Balloons, gliders, and aircraft not equipped with an engine driven electrical system are excepted from this requirement
Also squawking only means the transponder is tuned to a given code. "IDENT" is what lights you up on the ATC radar screen.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Okay, I stand corrected. Been a while since I took ground school or worked with a non-airborne radar system.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:02 PM
acdii

My friend has a Cessna 142, no transponders, There is another 142 at the field I fly at along with another plane that I can't recall off the top of my head, neither have transponders. He can't fly near Chicago in his plane.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:07 AM
RCUer75345
Banned

Interesting DJI editorial here:

https://content.dji.com/we-strongly-...not-like-this/

Modelers may have allies in unexpected places...
Old 01-15-2020, 08:21 AM
acdii

Well, I can see why they say that. It will directly impact their sales too. DJI I believe is a leader in drones with the Mavic that takes no skills to use, and is quite popular, but would be affected a lot by this.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:42 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nice article

Originally Posted by grognard
Interesting DJI editorial here:

https://content.dji.com/we-strongly-...not-like-this/

Modelers may have allies in unexpected places...

Thanks for posting that link!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

It makes perfect sense that the DJI legal department would put out a statement like this.
That said, if what was said is true on the committee set up by the FAA giving the FAA a broadcast ID recommendation, then someone convinced the FAA to ignore it. That brings up the question of why did the FAA chose to go with the complex, expensive system it did rather than use the simple one recommended?
Old 01-15-2020, 02:47 PM
RCUer75345
Banned

"...why did the FAA chose to go with the complex, expensive system it did rather than use the simple one recommended?"

Just speculating, but it looks like you need to buy a DJI Aeroscope receiver to pick up the signals broadcast by the drones. If we're forced to put the information on the Internet no special equipment is needed.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

No, but we would be forced to pay for every time we go flying, bringing the question of "Do I pay once to fly, pay every time I fly or do I ignore the rules and fly illegally?" to all R/C pilots.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:09 PM
RCUer75345
Banned

"Do I pay once to fly, pay every time I fly or do I ignore the rules and fly illegally?"

Well, if you read the detailed requirements the FAA wants RID set up so your plane won't take off without an Internet connection. So it won't be up to you and me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.