Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Old 09-22-2020, 04:24 AM
  #251  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I would say there is a mix of observation and emotion in this post.
Hmm..please point out the emotional part. There is not an emotional word in there.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Now for a hard fact, we are now 2 years into the re authorization and still not a single citation issued to a LOS traditional modeler.
And your point is?

Are you saying that because they haven't prosecuted anyone yet that the law doesn't apply?
If you want to talk facts, we can take a look at precedence that has been set where the Feds have turned a blind eye on illegal activity....until they choose not to.
Fuzzy logic..

Astro
Old 09-22-2020, 04:25 AM
  #252  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 27,051
Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

So much for it being a happy thread
Old 09-22-2020, 04:38 AM
  #253  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
So much for it being a happy thread
First, there are no, "unhappy" words in what I posted. If one chooses to view it that way, that is their prerogative and should not be cast on the one who posted it.
Second, read my words. Speed made a statement that lead nowhere. I asked for clarification and provided context as to why I had questions. If that is not what these forums are for, why are we even here?

Astro
Old 09-22-2020, 04:46 AM
  #254  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,527
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
So much for it being a happy thread

Haven't you noticed yet Andy, Astro has appointed himself to define what is fact based, emotional , plausible etc. from now on all posts have to be pre approved by Astro. I think we need to obey the great and powerful Astro. ALM! LOL
Old 09-22-2020, 05:30 AM
  #255  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 27,051
Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by astrohog
First, there are no, "unhappy" words in what I posted. If one chooses to view it that way, that is their prerogative and should not be cast on the one who posted it.
Second, read my words. Speed made a statement that lead nowhere. I asked for clarification and provided context as to why I had questions. If that is not what these forums are for, why are we even here?

Astro
That wasn't a shot at you, just the direction the thread took.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:08 AM
  #256  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,535
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Andy, until the thread devolves into a shouting match or name calling fiasco, I'd say that's pretty happy, at least in this forum.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:17 AM
  #257  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,535
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I would say there is a mix of observation and emotion in this post. Now for a hard fact, we are now 2 years into the re authorization and still not a single citation issued to a LOS traditional modeler.
You're only half right. I don't mix in emotion when observing as, when working on the flight deck, it can get you killed. I've personally seen that happen so I make sure I don't let emotion into what I see. If I did, I would be dead right now due to the stupidity of someone else that had me end up under the prop arc of a running engine on an E-2C Hawkeye.

Just got to thinking, there has to be someone in the forum that won't understand how I could have been killed if I had let emotion dictate my reaction to an observation. So let's break it down, shall we?
1) The stupid person was sent to the shop to get a tool. When he came back, he came up behind the Hawkeye, walking "head down" right into the prop blast
2) To prevent the guy from getting killed, I ran over to the Hawkeye, avoided the prop and, when clear of it, rolled under the folded wing to get in front of the guy, stopping him a few feet from the spinning blades
3) Yelling into the guy's ear, I told him he needed to go back the way he came, go around the wingtip and give the prop a wide berth(the wings on the E-2C fold back, along the sides of the fuselage)
4) Guy says OK, heads right for the prop a second time. Does the same thing twice more and almost puts his arm into the blades. I ended up having to tackle him to prevent him from going into the prop. In the process, of tackling him, I end up with my head and shoulders under the spinning prop arc.
5) I stayed on the deck with my head and shoulders under the prop until one of the guys from that squadron pulled me out by my feet. Had I tried to get up, being totally furious, I would have been decapitated. By not letting my emotions get the better of me, I not only survived, the idiot I saved lived as well, only to almost get electrocuted a couple of weeks later.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-22-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 AM
  #258  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Haven't you noticed yet Andy, Astro has appointed himself to define what is fact based, emotional , plausible etc. from now on all posts have to be pre approved by Astro. I think we need to obey the great and powerful Astro. ALM! LOL
Great idea, Speed!
I can guarantee that this place doesn’t turn into an emotional support forum and stays to the facts of all that is toy airplanes.

Facts are facts, they stand on their own as facts, too bad anyone HAS to point out the difference here.

plausible is a grey area. Plausible should only be used when sufficient facts are not available, and should be accepted or dismissed as facts DO become available that either support or disprove the plausibility.

Emotions? Well, we have all seen where THOSE get us when we are discussing things that require critical thinking and problem solving....I know I make much better decisions in life when I put my emotions on hold.

Astro
Old 09-22-2020, 03:22 PM
  #259  
init4fun
Thread Starter
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,363
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Of course , my answer would range from somewhere between a simple yes , , , to an enthusiastic HELL YEAH !



Old 09-22-2020, 04:33 PM
  #260  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

and I concur!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:20 PM
  #261  
ECHO24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
This of course is your opinion since I assume you are not in contact with either the FAA or Congress who informed you this was a fact, right?
Neither is AMA.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:23 AM
  #262  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 27,051
Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Neither is AMA.
That's factually incorrect.

Govt relations has weekly meetings with the FAA
Old 09-23-2020, 04:09 AM
  #263  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,527
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
That's factually incorrect.

Govt relations has weekly meetings with the FAA

What? Something got past the fact checking staff?
Old 09-23-2020, 04:22 AM
  #264  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,527
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
You're only half right. I don't mix in emotion when observing as, when working on the flight deck, it can get you killed. I've personally seen that happen so I make sure I don't let emotion into what I see. If I did, I would be dead right now due to the stupidity of someone else that had me end up under the prop arc of a running engine on an E-2C Hawkeye.

Just got to thinking, there has to be someone in the forum that won't understand how I could have been killed if I had let emotion dictate my reaction to an observation. So let's break it down, shall we?
1) The stupid person was sent to the shop to get a tool. When he came back, he came up behind the Hawkeye, walking "head down" right into the prop blast
2) To prevent the guy from getting killed, I ran over to the Hawkeye, avoided the prop and, when clear of it, rolled under the folded wing to get in front of the guy, stopping him a few feet from the spinning blades
3) Yelling into the guy's ear, I told him he needed to go back the way he came, go around the wingtip and give the prop a wide berth(the wings on the E-2C fold back, along the sides of the fuselage)
4) Guy says OK, heads right for the prop a second time. Does the same thing twice more and almost puts his arm into the blades. I ended up having to tackle him to prevent him from going into the prop. In the process, of tackling him, I end up with my head and shoulders under the spinning prop arc.
5) I stayed on the deck with my head and shoulders under the prop until one of the guys from that squadron pulled me out by my feet. Had I tried to get up, being totally furious, I would have been decapitated. By not letting my emotions get the better of me, I not only survived, the idiot I saved lived as well, only to almost get electrocuted a couple of weeks later.


IMO knowing what a guy is all about based on what we read on these forums is a difficult task. One of the reasons why I said a while ago that I didn't think you were a bad guy. You and I have had a pretty open mind about one another since then and I think the forum has been better for it. That said, you would have to admit that you have had ( not as much lately ) a habit of using an abundance of capital letters and punctuation in your posts. That could easily lead somone to think you had a good dose of emotion while writing that post. Not arguing about your state of mind while posting, just pointing out that what perception we get of one another based on our writing style could be off.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 AM
  #265  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
What? Something got past the fact checking staff?
It was humor.
You're not very astute, are you?

Astro
Old 09-23-2020, 04:53 AM
  #266  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
IMO knowing what a guy is all about based on what we read on these forums is a difficult task.
Others, not so much..

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I said a while ago that I didn't think you were a bad guy.
LOL. I guess you've self-appointed yourself the, "character guru" now? Based on your posting history, I'm not sure you are the right guy for the job.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
you have had ( not as much lately ) a habit of using an abundance of capital letters and punctuation in your posts.
SHOCKING....NOT PUNCTUATION!..NOOOOO!!!!.....As opposed to threats of physical violence, calls for censorship, banning, expulsion and egregious name-calling? LOL

Like I said, I'm not sure you are the right guy for the job, or one that should be publicly judging and making statements about others' character.

Astro
Old 09-23-2020, 05:33 AM
  #267  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,535
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
IMO knowing what a guy is all about based on what we read on these forums is a difficult task.
It's only difficult when someone has ulterior motives that they want to hide. I don't have ulterior motives since I have nothing to gain through them
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
One of the reasons why I said a while ago that I didn't think you were a bad guy.
I'm actually a very laid back kind of person but, on the other side, I DO NOT like someone trying to push me around or try to convince me I'm wrong without anything to base that on. Many will do that in the forums just because they think others have no way to find them and no recourse against it
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
You and I have had a pretty open mind about one another since then and I think the forum has been better for it.
So what's changed to cause that? My thoughts on most subjects haven't changed and I'm still just as stubborn as I've always been
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
That said, you would have to admit that you have had ( not as much lately ) a habit of using an abundance of capital letters and punctuation in your posts. That could easily lead somone to think you had a good dose of emotion while writing that post.
Just following the rules that apply to the written form of communication. Punctuation is how the written words are arranged and given the subtle inflections not available to the writer in the way they are when talking face to face. If using punctuation confuses people, it's not my fault I've had college level writing and they haven't. As far as using capital letters, that is a common way to make a point more stressed than just using lower case letters. While using italics is also an accepted form of stressing a point, capitals make that point more pronounced. It also can infer shouting when used on line
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Not arguing about your state of mind while posting, just pointing out that what perception we get of one another based on our writing style could be off.
Glad to read that but, that said, it doesn't matter how two people communicate, unless you can do so using telepathy, almost all communications are subject to interpretation and are almost always subject to the receiving party's bias as to what's really being said. I don't play those games. What you read is EXACTLY what I am saying. To make sure what I type is exactly what I mean, I actually read a post twice before hitting "submit" and reread it again after it's posted. I'm sure you have seen that many of my posts have edited below them. That is, in a nutshell, why so many of my posts have that tag on them

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-23-2020 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:05 PM
  #268  
ECHO24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
That's factually incorrect.

Govt relations has weekly meetings with the FAA
AMA isn't talking to any decision makers at the FAA, obviously, or AMA wouldn't have been blindsided by the NPRM.
AMA has zero influence on anything meaningful.

Last edited by ECHO24; 09-24-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:39 AM
  #269  
mongo
My Feedback: (15)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 3,524
Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
Default

AMA currently is residing in the "mushroom" section of the FAA garden.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:29 AM
  #270  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 27,051
Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ECHO24
AMA isn't talking to any decision makers at the FAA, obviously, or AMA wouldn't have been blindsided by the NPRM.
AMA has zero influence on anything meaningful.
Again, factually inaccurate.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:46 AM
  #271  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,535
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Again, factually inaccurate.
Okay, so how about you fill us in with the facts, at least as much as they will allow anyway. Inquiring minds will want to know
Old 09-25-2020, 05:22 AM
  #272  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 27,051
Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

The contents of the NPRM, while issued by the FAA, are largely being driven by security. DOD, DHS etc.

For the most part, the FAA realizes that we, that is LOS modelers are NOT the problem, that we are in fact an asset.

The problem is BLOS idiots and uneducated operators that go into Best Buy and get a new toy and think they can operate it anywhere.

What gets largely touted as a "money grab" by trying to get this crowd in the AMA is/was in fact an attempt to get these folks ignorant of airmanship into an educational and club based fold, give them somewhere to safely fly and learn what is and isn't legal/acceptable.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:16 AM
  #273  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,535
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
The problem is BLOS idiots and uneducated operators that go into Best Buy and get a new toy and think they can operate it anywhere.

What gets largely touted as a "money grab" by trying to get this crowd in the AMA is/was in fact an attempt to get these folks ignorant of airmanship into an educational and club based fold, give them somewhere to safely fly and learn what is and isn't legal/acceptable.
So, you're saying that those that didn't know what they didn't know are the problem(and I can agree with that, BTW) and figured they can do as they wish after watching all of the other yahoos doing the same thing on Youtube. Okay, I get that BUT most that fly quads do so because they don't need/want to have a designated flying site or a rules structure to have to follow. They also don't want to have to be taught how to fly their toy once they get it home. This is where the AMA's plan falls flat, not having a way to publicize all of this that works and the perceived(and rightfully so) need to increase the membership pool to keep the treasury solvent. What might have been a better option would have been to have the FAA required posting of a warning at all retailers that the drone operator needs to complete a training program that will at least familiarize the purchaser/operator of the regulations that are associated with the drone and have that tied to part 107 or an AMA club location. Just a thought to ponder on this one
Old 09-25-2020, 07:06 AM
  #274  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 27,051
Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

The thinking was, get these people educated and maybe we can keep the FAA, DHS, DOD etc off ALL of our backs.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:37 AM
  #275  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,535
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
The thinking was, get these people educated and maybe we can keep the FAA, DHS, DOD etc off ALL of our backs.
And, if there was a way to require that training, it could have worked. Without any consequences to the people that bought/received the drones for not having gone through some sort of training program, before actually going out and operating their new toy, the plan was doomed to fail. It's like everything else, unless there are consequences, most will ignore the laws/regulations

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.