Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Old 09-26-2020, 02:03 PM
  #301  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,564
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Operational limits? Where?
49 USC §44809(a)(5) and 49 USC §44809(a)(6)
The link to Federal LAW is appended for your convenience.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Muncie is hosting a team trials right this very minute with zero operational limits.
Has AMA indemnified the participants against any FAA fines for willful operation in violation of 49 USC §44809(a)(5) and/or 49 USC §44809(a)(6)? I sincerely doubt it.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Test? By all means show me any test that is required in order for fly a recreational UAS.
49 USC §44809(a)(7). As noted above, the link to Federal LAW is appended for your convenience.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Last point, do you really think that the FAI approved Muncie as a venue for a WC without proof of suitability which included FAA blessings or do you think the FAI and special interest groups from 20+ countries just figure they're going to show up and hope for the best?
As above, I'd be curious to see if FAI is indemnifying the participants willful violation of 49 USC §44809(a)(5) and/or 49 USC §44809(a)(6)? I sincerely doubt it.


And keep in mind, as AMA is sanctioning these activities, and many more around the country every weekend, all it will take is one ugly event to hand FAA all the justification they need to deny AMA's recognition as a CBO ... for willfully allowing and in some cases encouraging operations in direct violation of law.


Note 1: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...8-sec44809.htm
Old 09-26-2020, 02:07 PM
  #302  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,564
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Just because you guys aren't hearing about agreements being made with the FAA and City Counsels (sic) doesn't mean they aren't happening.
All it takes is a few well placed letters to city/township/airport attorneys noting the limits of 49 USC §44809(a), reminding them they do not have authority to waive that. Then point out that now that they're aware of the limits of the law - if they allow the events to go as scheduled, they may well be assuming liability on behalf of their constituents.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:42 PM
  #303  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,523
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
49 USC §44809(a)(5) and 49 USC §44809(a)(6)
The link to Federal LAW is appended for your convenience.


Has AMA indemnified the participants against any FAA fines for willful operation in violation of 49 USC §44809(a)(5) and/or 49 USC §44809(a)(6)? I sincerely doubt it.


49 USC §44809(a)(7). As noted above, the link to Federal LAW is appended for your convenience.


As above, I'd be curious to see if FAI is indemnifying the participants willful violation of 49 USC §44809(a)(5) and/or 49 USC §44809(a)(6)? I sincerely doubt it.


And keep in mind, as AMA is sanctioning these activities, and many more around the country every weekend, all it will take is one ugly event to hand FAA all the justification they need to deny AMA's recognition as a CBO ... for willfully allowing and in some cases encouraging operations in direct violation of law.


Note 1: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...8-sec44809.htm

What about the fact that all these events are happening with the blessing of the the FAA do you not understand?
Old 09-26-2020, 02:48 PM
  #304  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,523
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
All it takes is a few well placed letters to city/township/airport attorneys noting the limits of 49 USC §44809(a), reminding them they do not have authority to waive that. Then point out that now that they're aware of the limits of the law - if they allow the events to go as scheduled, they may well be assuming liability on behalf of their constituents.

You mean like the local state/city have no authority to leagalize recreational pot?
Old 09-26-2020, 02:57 PM
  #305  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Perhaps if you would actually participate in the hobby you would see what is happening in the real world.
LOL. You mean YOUR little corner of the hobby?
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
before today how many of you knew that the team selections were happening in Muncie this weekend?
If it were important to me I would know about it. Not all of us live in (or care) about your little world.
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
How many of you knew that Muncie was approved by the FAI to host the 2021 F3A WC?
Again, the more important question is how many of us care? Maybe not all hobbyists do. Maybe some of us just want to know we can continue to fly as we always have. I wonder if the FAI had the foresight to get an FAA waiver before they approved Muncie as the host?

You just continue to show how ignorant you are about what is really happening. Maybe you should step back and take a look at the WHOLE forest....

Astro
Old 09-26-2020, 03:00 PM
  #306  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
What about the fact that all these events are happening with the blessing of the the FAA do you not understand?
Define blessing.
Do the organizers have waivers from the FAA, or is the FAA just not aware or turning a blind eye?
If they don't have a waiver, It is a far stretch to say they have the FAA's blessing, but that is how you usually like to spin/justify your opinions.

Astro
Old 09-26-2020, 03:03 PM
  #307  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,564
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
What about the fact that all these events are happening with the blessing of the the FAA do you not understand?
First, absent a letter from FAA exempting them from 49 USC §44809(a), the FAA hasn't "blessed" anything. And if such a letter existed, I'm pretty confident AMA would be shouting it from the rooftops as evidence of their "influence." But since they're not, I'm assuming no such exemption exits. Therefore no "blessing."

The absence of FAA enforcement at the event is not a "blessing" either. There's any number of instances where FAA waits until there's an event before they pull out the hammer. They wait until there's a mishap, THEN go digging. And if one such thing was to happen, they'd find any number of events that AMA sanctioned in violation of law. And you know what they call that when they find it? A pattern of conduct. And that my friend becomes reason to deny CBO recognition or, if given already, revoke it.

If indeed one believes that FAA has it in for the AMA, the very worst thing the AMA can do is continue sanctioning events that they know or should know are in violation of 49 USC §44809(a).
Old 09-26-2020, 03:05 PM
  #308  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,564
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
You mean like the local state/city have no authority to leagalize recreational pot?
You should really study your legal systems. Just because something is legal under state law, does not mean it's legal under federal law. The feds retain authority to charge in Federal court such violations.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:11 PM
  #309  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,523
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Astro you crack me up. I like the adolescent reply of " I don't care ". For one if you really didn't care you wouldn't bother replying. You and a few others preach about how ineffective AMA is in dealing with the FAA and then when I show an example of where they are being effective at planning world stage events at Muncie you cry " I don't care ". You gonna take you ball and go home next? LOL.

Lets talk about ignorance. The FAA is clearly handing out exemptions under your nose while you're claiming the sky is falling. Who's ignorant? I know that there are agreements at every place I fly that means no action can come from me flying over 400', were you aware of that?
Old 09-26-2020, 03:21 PM
  #310  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,523
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by astrohog
Define blessing.
Do the organizers have waivers from the FAA, or is the FAA just not aware or turning a blind eye?
If they don't have a waiver, It is a far stretch to say they have the FAA's blessing, but that is how you usually like to spin/justify your opinions.

Astro

What spin. Fact: F3A team trials are happening at Muncie RIGHT NOW! Fact: Muncie applied to the FAI to host the 2021 F3A WC and was approved. To get that approval they had to demonstrate the legal ability to host an the event. Plain and simple, if FAA did not approve a waiver for the event and NSRCA not have that waiver in the proposal the FAI would have never have approved Muncie as the venue. Argue and insult all you want, those are the FACTS!
Old 09-26-2020, 03:45 PM
  #311  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Astro you crack me up. I like the adolescent reply of " I don't care ".
Not adolescent at all (not to mention the pot calling the kettle black, but we don't need to go there again now, do we? ), just qualifying that I don't pay attention to things I could care less about. Pretty simple, really.
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
You and a few others preach about how ineffective AMA is in dealing with the FAA and then when I show an example of where they are being effective at planning world stage events at Muncie you cry " I don't care ".
Wait, you said the FAI was planning to have their event at Muncie. That is not the AMA....
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
You gonna take you ball and go home next? LOL.
Juvenile?....Again, pot calling the kettle black. LOL

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Lets talk about ignorance. The FAA is clearly handing out exemptions under your nose while you're claiming the sky is falling. Who's ignorant?
I don't know. Myself and others here have been asking to see proof of, and how many exemptions have been granted. So far, we've been told, "dozens"......As far as your, "sky is falling" remark, read Franklin's post, then read what the LAW says........Again, just because someone robs a bank and gets away with it, doesn't make it any more legal.
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I know that there are agreements at every place I fly that means no action can come from me flying over 400', were you aware of that?
Well now, that is not what you've said in the past, is it? I have asked you directly that exact question multiple times and you have not answered it. Passive-aggressive much? And you wonder why we can't have civil discussions here! LOL

Astro
Old 09-26-2020, 03:51 PM
  #312  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
insult all you want
Please show me where I insulted.
I can't help it if you are too thin-skinned and emotional to have a discussion.




Astro
Old 09-26-2020, 04:07 PM
  #313  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,523
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Ok, try to follow along this time. FAI is the governing body that oversees international level model competitions ( some full scale too ). They need to approve any venues submitted for a WC in much the same way the NFL needs to approve the venue for the Super Bowl. NSRCA is the US SIG for F3A, AMA has sanctioned the team trials and has been involved in the proposal to host the 2021 F3A WC. All 3 organizations plus the FAA had to work together to make having the WC take place in Muncie.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:18 PM
  #314  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Ok, try to follow along this time. FAI is the governing body that oversees international level model competitions ( some full scale too ). They need to approve any venues submitted for a WC in much the same way the NFL needs to approve the venue for the Super Bowl. NSRCA is the US SIG for F3A, AMA has sanctioned the team trials and has been involved in the proposal to host the 2021 F3A WC. All 3 organizations plus the FAA had to work together to make having the WC take place in Muncie.
Yes, I understand your thought process and all of the assumptions it took to get to your, "logical" conclusion. That "logic" is not necessarily FACTUAL. What you never came out and actually stated was that, YES, the FAA granted a waiver for this event.

Astro
Old 09-26-2020, 05:24 PM
  #315  
ECHO24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Nope, not to mention that me attending a regional contest is as compared to a venue submitting a proposal and being approved to host a WC is not anywhere near an apples to apples comparison. Just because you guys aren't hearing about agreements being made with the FAA and City Counsels doesn't mean they aren't happening. Perhaps if you would actually participate in the hobby you would see what is happening in the real world. Example, before today how many of you knew that the team selections were happening in Muncie this weekend? How many of you knew that Muncie was approved by the FAI to host the 2021 F3A WC?


BIGGER PICTURES, BIGGER PLANES, BIGGER FONTS - THAT WILL WIN THE ARGUMENT! (or at the very least make people lose interest in what it was about).
Old 09-26-2020, 05:29 PM
  #316  
ECHO24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Seriously, this is getting as tedious as RCGroups.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:19 PM
  #317  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,534
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
@Hydro, great story about being on deck. Sincerely glad that neither of you were injured. Indeed a great example of situational awareness ( required training at Aerojet ).
Since you've never been in that situation, I doubt you would know how dangerous it actually was. Had the Hawkeye started to unfold its wings, I could have been crushed under it since it not only pivots forward but down when unfolding. I was fortunate in several ways that day.
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
As to observation, I would be interested in you sources of observation.
For starters, I pay attention to what is said here in the forum, and by who. I also read the sources posted by those that post here in the forum. It's actually very easy to see the ebb and flow of what's actually happening through simple observation by what's being said and by who. The present conversation is a good example of this:
1) YOU say that Muncie(actually the AMA) is hosting a contest to pick the pilots representing the US in an international event WITH THE FAA'S BLESSING
2) OTHERS ask about an altitude waiver from the FAA, GET NO FACTUAL ANSWER, only that the FAA has given its blessing. I could give my blessing for the event and it means just as much as getting a blessing from the FAA. Unless the FAA grants an altitude waiver, they haven't blessed anything
3) OTHERS ask why nothing has been heard from the AMA itself? After all, hosting an international event should be considered as shouting from the rooftop type of news, especially when you consider how the AMA loves to brag about what it thinks it's accomplished. Yet the only word we have is yours that any of this is happening. You would have thought that, being a member of the EC, Andy would have said something by now, but no, not a word. Why is that?
NOW, how would you interpret 1-3 if you were in my place? Observation of the back and forth in this thread AND the AMA's past conduct says the AMA is staying on the downlow on this since they don't have a waiver to allow the competition and don't want to draw attention to themselves or what's going on. With all of that said, PROVE ME WRONG WITH SOMETHING FACTUAL AND SUPPORTED BY EVIDENCE
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
It appears to me that those in this forum speaking the loudest about the unavoidable doom coming to our hobby are those who are not very active or not currently active at all in the hobby of flying model airplanes. I'm just wondering where your observation is happening if not seeing first hand the happenings at any club site.
Just because we may not be flying almost every day doesn't mean we don't see or listen. Last time I was at a flying field, not one person was there. This was on a Saturday afternoon and a day with nice weather. The field was shut down a few weeks later. What does that tell you? It tells me that either the club or property owner pulled the plug. The fact that the club was looking for a new venue to fly at soon after says the owner shut everything down, but why? Can't personally say, just know that the members were being allowed to fly at another club almost an hour away for free until they could get a new site. Read that in the hosting club's newsletter that was freely available at a local hobby shop.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:20 AM
  #318  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,534
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Gee, this is interesting. 36 hours and no one had posted anything in this thread. Does that mean everyone was watching foot ball or what? BTW, HOW ABOUT THEM COWBOYS???
Zeke really earned his pay, being outrushed by all but one other player from either team on per carry yardage. Even Seattle's Chris Carson, who went down with a knee injury, had as many rushing attempts and almost double the yards. Gotta give credit to Dak, played a great game. Only one thing to say on that subject:
GO HAWKS!!!!!
Old 09-28-2020, 04:28 PM
  #319  
R_Strowe
Senior Member
 
R_Strowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Vermont
Posts: 287
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Hydro,
I think the answer to #2 above is simple; the FAI would require that altitude waiver from the FAA as a condition of allowing Muncie to host that event. No Waiver/No Event. Since the event is going on then there must be a ‘requisite waiver’ issued by the FAA.

Now if the actual, material waiver Is the only proof some will accept, oh well...

R_Strowe
Old 09-28-2020, 04:42 PM
  #320  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,534
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
Hydro,
I think the answer to #2 above is simple; the FAI would require that altitude waiver from the FAA as a condition of allowing Muncie to host that event. No Waiver/No Event. Since the event is going on then there must be a ‘requisite waiver’ issued by the FAA.

Now if the actual, material waiver Is the only proof some will accept, oh well...

R_Strowe
And I would agree with that EXCEPT the event going on now is a QUALIFYING EVENT. Since this is supposedly where the US team is selected, they may or may not have applied for a waiver since it's only US fliers and not the actual competition.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:17 PM
  #321  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,523
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
Hydro,
I think the answer to #2 above is simple; the FAI would require that altitude waiver from the FAA as a condition of allowing Muncie to host that event. No Waiver/No Event. Since the event is going on then there must be a ‘requisite waiver’ issued by the FAA.

Now if the actual, material waiver Is the only proof some will accept, oh well...

R_Strowe

Don't waste your time. They just don't get it, not because they can't. It's that they don't want to. You and I know the amount of effort required to compete at that level. These guys have been working for a year plus to get to the team trials. Stepping onto site 1 at Muncie represents hundreds of hours in practice and equipment preparation let alone 20K in equipment and travel/lodging expenses. Nobody is going to make these investments on the hopes that the FAA won't shut it down the weekend of the trials.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:41 PM
  #322  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Don't waste your time. They just don't get it,
No, you don't get it......
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Nobody is going to make these investments on the hopes that the FAA won't shut it down the weekend of the trials.
....You just insert your own narrative wherever it pleases you. Nowhere did anyone say the FAA was going to shut it down. It's pretty simple, based on the facts, that the FAA is not currently enforcing the law.

The really simple question was: "Was this event granted an altitude exemption by the FAA?"

So far, nobody has given a definitive answer.

Astro
Old 09-28-2020, 05:43 PM
  #323  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,345
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Now, back to the light-hearted intent of the thread for init4fun's sake.


Old 09-28-2020, 05:48 PM
  #324  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,523
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by astrohog
No, you don't get it......

....You just insert your own narrative wherever it pleases you. Nowhere did anyone say the FAA was going to shut it down. It's pretty simple, based on the facts, that the FAA is not currently enforcing the law.

The really simple question was: "Was this event granted an altitude exemption by the FAA?"

So far, nobody has given a definitive answer.

Astro

Simple answer, if the FAA hadn't then there would not have been an event in the first place! What keeps you from accepting that?

Sounds like, " my car is running, I must have gas in the tank, Astro: are you sure? Did you SEE the gas?"
Old 09-28-2020, 06:16 PM
  #325  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,534
Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

We don't need to see the gas if the engine is running. When it quits running, we know the tank is empty or below the fuel pump pick up, even if the guage doesn't work.
What we didn't see or hear from anyone, other than you, is about this competition. Since the AMA isn't "crowing" about the competition like they do everything else, it has us thinking that they don't want to anyone to know what's going on. If you go back to my response to your post on Saturday evening, you will see I asked simple questions then and asked you to refute my conclusions with answers supported by facts. You haven't done that, just tried to belittle those of us that don't fly competition for asking the questions. I guess I need to use the Freedom of Information Act to see if the FAA has actually granted a waiver, might actually get a legitimate answer that way

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.