Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 07:47 AM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I miss Reno!! Good to see the "Bear" still out there.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:55 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

That was 2016, but I agree. The Bear will always be my favorite Unlimited. I tend to like the F1 aircraft more as they are constructed in the same fashion as our all composite models ( or vice versa ).
Old 10-04-2020, 02:24 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
It's fairly obvious that the FAA is not interested in enforcing the law that congress forced them to create (emphasis added).
Factually inaccurate. FAA does not "create" laws. Congress does.

Why do you think they haven't produced a test yet?
Even AMA says the test is coming (note 1).

Why haven't they recognized any CBO (emphasis added)?
Read the words of the law. It doesn't say the FAA must recognize anything, just says the FAA has to establish "criteria and process" (note 2).

Could it be that they just don't want to be bothered with spending millions of taxpayer money on a hobby that is slowly bleeding to death? Given enough time they realize that there just won't be enough of us to worry about.
"Don't want to be bothered?" I guess all that work the FAA put into developing the FRIA proposed rule was just my imagination.

One such individual is seeking specific information from the FAA in an attempt to FORCE them to uphold a law they seem to not really care about.
I've heard what AMA says they've achieved, I'm looking to see what's actually been approved.

Note 1: https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...ationtimeline/

Note 2: 49 USC 44809(i) "...the Administrator shall publish an advisory circular within 180 days of the date of enactment of this section that identifies the criteria and process required for recognition of community-based organizations (emphasis added)."
https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?...edition=prelim
Old 10-05-2020, 07:49 AM
R_Strowe

That was 2016, but I agree. The Bear will always be my favorite Unlimited. I tend to like the F1 aircraft more as they are constructed in the same fashion as our all composite models ( or vice versa ).
A buddy of mine had a Cassutt. Unfortunately I was unable to fly it (I don't fit; one needs to be under 6' tall to get in with the canopy on).

And I always liked the nickname of "Casket" racer, although my friend always said it actually was a really good natured airplane.

R_Strowe
Old 10-12-2020, 05:03 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
The competition is listed under ‘Events’ on the AMA website. I’ve sent an email off to Bill Pritchett (who ran the event), to see if he can get me that information. No need to go FOIA on it😁!
So......what did Bill Pritchett have to say about the FAA exemption for this event?

Astro
Old 10-12-2020, 05:45 AM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by astrohog
So......what did Bill Pritchett have to say about the FAA exemption for this event?

Astro
Haven't heard back, which is honestly quite disappointing.

Has anyone considered contacting the FAA? Probably the Indy FSDO would be a good place to start.

I'm also going to be driving down to company headquarters, and could easily go by Muncie. I'll be happy to stop in and see what I can learn about the subject.

R_Strowe
Old 10-12-2020, 05:59 AM
astrohog

Haven't heard back, which is honestly quite disappointing.
He's probably a really important fella. Far too important than to answer an e-mail from one of the masses.

Again, don't mind the man behind the curtain, nothing to see here.....move along now......

Astro
Old 10-12-2020, 07:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

He's just an AMA contest director, not an AMA staffer, he is probably working his full time job.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:17 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
He's just an AMA contest director, not an AMA staffer, he is probably working his full time job.
It’s been 2 weeks....

Astro
Old 10-12-2020, 01:56 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It’s been 2 weeks....

Astro
The man is a contest director. He applied for a sanction for the event and received it from the AMA. The event was held, from all aspects it was a success and winners were crowned. The event is over and now you have an inquiry from some one who was not a competitor, volunteer someone with no connection to the event asking questions. For what reason to cast some sort of shadow on his event.

Don't hold your breath expecting an answer LOL. Talk to the hand LOL

Old 10-12-2020, 02:13 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

Add to that his son is on the WC team so he is coaching, maintaining equipment, helping organize the teams fund raisers and organizing team Zoom meetings. Quite the busy guy. That being said, does he have any obligation to answer the question in the first place?
Old 10-12-2020, 04:01 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Propworn
The man is a contest director. He applied for a sanction for the event and received it from the AMA. The event was held, from all aspects it was a success and winners were crowned. The event is over and now you have an inquiry from some one who was not a competitor, volunteer someone with no connection to the event asking questions. For what reason to cast some sort of shadow on his event.

Don't hold your breath expecting an answer LOL. Talk to the hand LOL
All the more reason to answer a quick e-mail with, "Yep, we were granted an altitude waiver from the FAA."

Takes all but ten seconds.

Unless.........

I love all of the responses (excuses) for not giving a simple answer! It's priceless. Three of you have now gone out of your way to guess at and give excuses for why the CD hasn't been able to send an e-mail that would take literally a couple of seconds to do.

Astro
Old 10-12-2020, 04:05 PM
astrohog

Add to that his son is on the WC team so he is coaching, maintaining equipment, helping organize the teams fund raisers and organizing team Zoom meetings. Quite the busy guy. That being said, does he have any obligation to answer the question in the first place?
For being such a self-proclaimed, "connected" guy and proponent of the AMA, I would think it would be relatively easy for you to put all of this speculation and drama to rest by providing some factual evidence of this event having had an FAA exemption. Instead, more wild guesses, excuses and suppositions....

Astro
Old 10-12-2020, 04:26 PM
speedracerntrixie

I have no such evidence that you would take at face value. That's what happens when you go out of your way to discredit what people tell you, they stop telling you things. So I suggest you find out for yourself, only way you will accept the information.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:40 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Speed he won't bother he knows he will be ignored as a pest. In fact thats what these guys have become so no one pays them any attention.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:09 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Propworn
Speed he won't bother he knows he will be ignored as a pest. In fact thats what these guys have become so no one pays them any attention.
I agree that he will likely be ignored but because he is not a member of the organization that held the contest.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:18 PM
R_Strowe

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if my request ended up in his spam box. If course I'm already satisfied they had the appropriate paperwork approved, because it's required to conduct the event, and doing so is part of the process. Obviously not everyone understands the process.

R_Strowe
Old 10-12-2020, 05:26 PM
speedracerntrixie

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if my request ended up in his spam box. If course I'm already satisfied they had the appropriate paperwork approved, because it's required to conduct the event, and doing so is part of the process. Obviously not everyone understands the process.

R_Strowe

Exactly, unfortunately there are some that will accept nothing less then a notarized copy of the actual waiver. Notice how often the AMA has been mentioned in this particular topic. This wasn't even an AMA event. But hey we have some of RCU's most observant people right here.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:50 PM
astrohog

I have no such evidence that you would take at face value. That's what happens when you go out of your way to discredit what people tell you, they stop telling you things. So I suggest you find out for yourself, only way you will accept the information.
Discredit? You haven't even provided one single shred of anything TO discredit! LOL

Unless you consider, "Of course they had a waiver, it's required" as proof.

That is paramount to saying that every driver has a drivers' license because they are required.

Astro
Old 10-12-2020, 07:01 PM
speedracerntrixie

You're actually going to compare holding a FAI sanctioned World Championship to an unlicensed driver?
Old 10-12-2020, 07:24 PM
astrohog

You're actually going to compare holding a FAI sanctioned World Championship to an unlicensed driver?
Where it concerns an FAA waiver for altitude deviation? Yes, and I will explain: These regs are all new and are unique to the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the FAI honestly overlooked those flight restrictions due to them being relatively new. Simple as that.
I think it would be easy to do, as MOST modelers I know do not think twice about breaking the 400' law, as they find it as asinine as I do.

Astro
Old 10-12-2020, 07:31 PM
speedracerntrixie

Where it concerns an FAA waiver for altitude deviation? Yes, and I will explain: These regs are all new and are unique to the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the FAI honestly overlooked those flight restrictions due to them being relatively new. Simple as that.
I think it would be easy to do, as MOST modelers I know do not think twice about breaking the 400' law, as they find it as asinine as I do.

Astro
Oviously you have no FACTS to back that up do you? Oh and the last F3A WC was held in Italy last year. Italy has altitude restrictions as well, FAI is well aware that waivers are required in most countries.

https://www.dronezine.it/english/

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 10-12-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:29 PM
astrohog

Oviously you have no FACTS to back that up do you? Oh and the last F3A WC was held in Italy last year. Italy has altitude restrictions as well, FAI is well aware that waivers are required in most countries.

https://www.dronezine.it/english/
Well, I didn't state anything as fact now, did I?
Keep trying, Speedy, keep trying......maybe some day you will be capable of having a civil discussion.

Astro
Old 10-12-2020, 10:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Why not? Let's look at this logically:
1) Muncie(read AMA) is hosting the event
2) FAI is a guest that has accepted the AMA's offer of using the site
3) The AMA should be the one to contact the FAA and get the waiver since they are both the site owner and the hosting organization
4) Since the FAI is a guest, they should expect that everything is ready to go when they arrive, which includes the altitude waiver that has to be obtained from the FAA
5) Since the AMA has a known history of misrepresenting information when it comes to it's dealings with the FAA, the FAI should feel it needs to, in fact, verify that the legal documentation is taken care of REGARDLESS of what the AMA says

Now as far as a driver's license:
1) It is required that ANYONE operating a vehicle on a public road has one, along with liability insurance covering the vehicle being driven
2) It is up to the driver to obtain a valid license from the issuing organization, that being the appropriate state Department of Licensing
3) It is required that the driver has the license with them any time that person is in control of a vehicle
4) If pulled over for violating traffic laws, by not having said license with the driver operating the vehicle, the license can be suspended and the offending driver fined by a court judge. IF the driver/operator had never obtained a license prior to being pulled over for a violation, they may be denied the ability to obtain a license for a designated period of time by the court.

So, when you compare the two, they're very much similar situation. You drive a car, you have to have your license, registration and proof of liability insurance with you. You host an event, you have to have your legal documentation taken care of and available if it's requested by any LEO or FAA official. I'm still trying to figure out why this is so hard to understand, unless you don't want to understand or, what's more likely, be willing to believe it.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 10-12-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:25 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Exactly, unfortunately there are some that will accept nothing less then a notarized copy of the actual waiver. Notice how often the AMA has been mentioned in this particular topic. This wasn't even an AMA event. But hey we have some of RCU's most observant people right here.
so, now the story is,
not an AMA event, so i guess that there actually was no AMA sanction issued?
wow, how things change in these stories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.