Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Old 03-10-2020, 04:46 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grognard
My buddy and I are working on several 1/6 scale WWI planes to take to the annual "Dawn Patrol Rendezvous" at Dayton, OH this fall. We'll be some of the smaller models there - I think the 1/4 and 1/3 scale types rarely cruise BELOW 400'. And this is on an Air Force base!

And on that happy note -- my work here is done. I intended to quit after the NPRM comment period closed, this last week reinforces that decision.
All it takes is a well timed letter to an Inspector General. Trust me, they frown upon PRIVATE dues collecting organizations being permitted to use taxpayer facilities unless the same facilities are open to all PRIVATE groups. Since the can't allow the latter, they have to end the former.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:07 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
All it takes is a well timed letter to an Inspector General. Trust me, they frown upon PRIVATE dues collecting organizations being permitted to use taxpayer facilities unless the same facilities are open to all PRIVATE groups. Since the can't allow the latter, they have to end the former.
Tell that to the Navy training facilities in Pensacola who let Private dues collecting organizations use their OLFs as flying fields any time they aren't using them. And ANY Private organization could use them. We had 3 3000 foot paved runways at the field we used on the weekends near Fairhope, Alabama.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:12 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Tell that to the Navy training facilities in Pensacola who let Private dues collecting organizations use their OLFs as flying fields any time they aren't using them. And ANY Private organization could use them. We had 3 3000 foot paved runways at the field we used on the weekends near Fairhope, Alabama.
And do they allow it today?
Old 03-10-2020, 11:08 AM
mach5nchimchim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The five digit AMA member has spoken. I think we should all turn toward the west and chant in unison "We're not worthy."
Hey buddy, I got s single digit "AMA" number for ya and you know how I would show it on my hand and what you can do with it...
that goes to all you speed haters, you guys just keep trying to sucker us in and bring us down to yall's level... We tried to get this a happy post, but nope yall couldn't leave well enough alone...

Last edited by mach5nchimchim; 03-10-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:34 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mach5nchimchim
Hey buddy, I got s single digit "AMA" number for ya and you know how I would show it on my hand and what you can do with it...
that goes to all you speed haters, you guys just keep trying to sucker us in and bring us down to yall's level... We tried to get this a happy post, but nope yall couldn't leave well enough alone...
pure class right there! 😁

Astro
Old 03-10-2020, 12:38 PM
mach5nchimchim

Originally Posted by astrohog
pure class right there! 😁

Astro
Pure speculation, you don't know if I mean sign language number 7 and to stick it on you on Facebook or what ever; you are only assuming and guessing; don't make me go dig clean up your backyard and post what I find....
Old 03-10-2020, 01:18 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Pure speculation, you don't know if I mean sign language number 7 and to stick it on you on Facebook or what ever; you are only assuming and guessing; don't make me go dig clean up your backyard and post what I find....
Well without question we got a a perfect example of a happy thread now, thank you for your contribution.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:34 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why don’t you simply enlighten us with what you REALLY meant then....... people that want to have a beneficial discussion will be more concise.

As far as my backyard.....dig away....it’s all there, for the world to see...

Astro
Old 03-11-2020, 04:37 AM
franklin_m

My buddy and I are working on several 1/6 scale WWI planes to take to the annual "Dawn Patrol Rendezvous" at Dayton, OH this fall. We'll be some of the smaller models there - I think the 1/4 and 1/3 scale types rarely cruise BELOW 400'. And this is on an Air Force base!
Oh, and FYI, that's not USAF property. It's museum property, which is a separate legal entity.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:19 AM
RCUer75345
Banned

Oh, and FYI, that's not USAF property. It's museum property, which is a separate legal entity.
Bases aren't "USAF property", or "Navy property". They are federal property.
Regarding this specific case:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Questions/

As a government facility located on federal property the museum adheres to Wright-Patterson AFB policy on drones. As such, the use of small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS) on museum grounds is strictly prohibited. This included drones and model remote control aircraft. Unauthorized sUAS flights are immediately reported to security forces.
Museum events that involve remote control aircraft go through an extensive approval process with Wright-Patterson AFB prior to the event.
Next time you visit, pay attention to which side of the fence the museum is on.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:11 AM
franklin_m

Bases aren't "USAF property", or "Navy property". They are federal property.
Regarding this specific case:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Questions/

Next time you visit, pay attention to which side of the fence the museum is on.
Matters not. If you feel better pointing that out, good for you.

And here I was thinking flying was MORE easy on this than on military property. I'm pleased to see that it's much more restrictive than it has been in prior years. Gotta love it when your response means MORE RESTRICTIVE to flying toy planes than what I thought.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-11-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:30 AM
RCUer75345
Banned

And here I was thinking flying was MORE easy on this than on military property.
Actually the base has its own RC club:

https://fly-rams.com/

Oh, and it seems AMA membership is required as well:

https://fly-rams.com/faq/

You must have a valid ID in order to access WPAFB (ie: Active CAC, Dependent, Retired, Contractor, ect) AND you must be a current AMA member.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:00 AM
franklin_m

Actually the base has its own RC club:

https://fly-rams.com/

Oh, and it seems AMA membership is required as well:https://fly-rams.com/faq/
Nobody has written to the USAF IG yet. Oftentimes things go on for a while until the IG starts asking questions, then they get shut down. I know of at least one club that used a DoD auxiliary field FOR YEARS shut down after IG got involved.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:11 AM
mach5nchimchim

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
With all due respect , I would suggest you direct your request to the guy who is dishing out the majority ( by a large margin ) of disrespect towards other members and posting off topic.
+1, We agree... There is one person who is the common denominator, that turns the embers into raging infernos while fanning the flames...
Old 03-11-2020, 07:28 AM
franklin_m

+1, We agree... There is one person who is the common denominator, that turns the embers into raging infernos while fanning the flames...
- 1 ... As there are two people who, almost magically, speak with one mind!
Old 03-11-2020, 07:48 AM
mach5nchimchim

- 1 ... As there are two people who, almost magically, speak with one mind!
RCG buddy, we know how you are...Boom "mic drop"
Old 03-11-2020, 08:29 AM
RCUer75345
Banned

Nobody has written to the USAF IG yet.
That you know of.

By all means, submit a complaint if you feel so inclined. I really, really doubt the IG will take much notice of the poutings of some busybody type in a different state who isn't affected by the event one way or another.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:51 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Guys it doesn't take but a child to figure out your being baited. Any thread or topic that doesn't disparage against the AMA Franklin will first post a benign few lines hoping to get a response. Once he has someone on the hook he quickly moves to taking potshots at the AMA and anyone who objects or defends the AMA. You could start a topic about how you and your group of friends had a great time at such and such AMA event and along would come Franky in an attempt to direct the topic so he could rail against the AMA. He hijacks thread and trolls to promote his personal dislike of the AMA regardless how the topic/thread originated. Then when when he has hooked a few into the back and forth he repeats over and over Everything he has posted in prior threads. Then his minions pile in. Start at his post 19 then follow through he keeps casting about with the odd anti AMA quip by post 33 and beyond the peacock has dropped all pretense and plumage is in full display showing his true colors railing against his old enemy the AMA. LOL its so predictable its actually sad. Right wrong or indifferent I don't see any other organization other than the AMA attempting to speak on modelers behalf.

Guys if you just refuse to take the bait and ignore him and his minions they will wither and go away. I urge you to try it don't respond no mater how irritating they are and watch how fast they go away. That or with luck they will start to feed on each other and that might be worth the price of admission.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 03-11-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:09 AM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1
Old 03-11-2020, 09:24 AM
mach5nchimchim

Originally Posted by Propworn
Guys it doesn't take but a child to figure out your being baited. Any thread or topic that doesn't disparage against the AMA Franklin will first post a benign few lines hoping to get a response. Once he has someone on the hook he quickly moves to taking potshots at the AMA and anyone who objects or defends the AMA. You could start a topic about how you and your group of friends had a great time at such and such AMA event and along would come Franky in an attempt to direct the topic so he could rail against the AMA. He hijacks thread and trolls to promote his personal dislike of the AMA regardless how the topic/thread originated. Then when when he has hooked a few into the back and forth he repeats over and over Everything he has posted in prior threads. Then his minions pile in. Start at his post 19 then follow through he keeps casting about with the odd anti AMA quip by post 33 and beyond the peacock has dropped all pretense and plumage is in full display showing his true colors railing against his old enemy the AMA. LOL its so predictable its actually sad. Right wrong or indifferent I don't see any other organization other than the AMA attempting to speak on modelers behalf.

Guys if you just refuse to take the bait and ignore him and his minions they will wither and go away. I urge you to try it don't respond no mater how irritating they are and watch how fast they go away. That or with luck they will start to feed on each other and that might be worth the price of admission.

Dennis
yeah, but he thinks he's the omnipotent end all be all when it comes to USA aerospace regulations or future regulations.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:25 AM
franklin_m

By all means, submit a complaint if you feel so inclined. I really, really doubt the IG will take much notice of the poutings of some busybody type in a different state who isn't affected by the event one way or another.
I just may. It also helps that I know the exact language to use (supplied by my SJA) that highlights the DoD prohibition against favoring one PRIVATE group when the same offer is not made to all other PRIVATE groups.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:29 AM
franklin_m

yeah, but he thinks he's the omnipotent end all be all when it comes to USA aerospace regulations or future regulations.
Well...
When AMA was saying language of 336 required membership, who was it that got FAA to issue statement that they did not interpret 336 as requiring membership?

And when AMA submitted comments recommending use of AMA number in lieu of registration number, who's comments were quoted not once but twice in FAA's justification for NOT doing that?

And when the latest FAA authorization was up for renewal, who was it that got his Congressman to change a critical "and" to an "or" in imfamous "programming" statement in the recreational exception?

And now, when AMA is pushing the FRIA idea as yet another way compel membership, who is it that has been joined by DJI in noting legal issues with that part of the proposed rule?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:32 AM
mach5nchimchim

Well...
When AMA was saying language of 336 required membership, who was it that got FAA to issue statement that they did not interpret 336 as requiring membership?

And when AMA submitted comments recommending use of AMA number in lieu of registration number, who's comments were quoted not once but twice in FAA's justification for NOT doing that?

And when the latest FAA authorization was up for renewal, who was it that got his Congressman to change a critical "and" to an "or" in imfamous "programming" statement in the recreational exception?

And now, when AMA is pushing the FRIA idea as yet another way compel membership, who is it that has been joined by DJI in noting legal issues with that part of the proposed rule?
So the AMA benefits, but not those other groups you listed and you want to hold it against the AMA, so is the AMA the only real legit group or do those others ones you listed count to? What is somehow they get a fria approved? What then?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:48 AM
franklin_m

So the AMA benefits, but not those other groups you listed and you want to hold it against the AMA, so is the AMA the only real legit group or do those others ones you listed count to? What is somehow they get a fria approved? What then?
I didn't list other groups, because policy is that ALL other groups have to be offered similar access. DoD knows they cannot do that, so they have to be exceedingly careful to whom they do grant special access. That's why IGs tend to get involved when they find out about such things.

As to what happens if the FRIAs go through? Honestly, I think the chances are low. It clearly has Constitutional and letter of the law issues (and FAA has been burned once before on the latter), but also once OMB sees the $60 million or so in costs (membership fees) not considered in the financial analysis. That said, if it goes through, I'll keep working to oppose them on the same grounds. But I suspect DJI will take the case to court, and they have the resources to win. And ultimately, I think most people will walk away from the hobby (not enough "true believers").
Old 03-11-2020, 09:52 AM
mach5nchimchim

I'm just a lowly six digit AMA member going about my day, as one who accepts that I can never be as accomplished, honored, knowledgeable, or revered as the five digit nobility.
See, just because we have a 5 number or lower; and have been AMA members for years, you hold it against us cause of our long standing association with the AMA. Why go to the lengths to point that out? Because we have been paying Muncie for all these years and you can't stand it. I'm proud of my 5 digit number, you are so scared by it you want to demean any AMA member or supporter.

Last edited by mach5nchimchim; 03-11-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.