Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 06:35 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The only thing I have read is that your FAA number must be on the airplane somewhere and must be legible. I think I will move all mine to the rudder as typically the tail survives a crash.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:37 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever happened to the knowledge test?
Old 03-15-2020, 07:15 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Thank You for the replies guys .

Before this trusty dusty ol trainer hits the skies again it will have my FAA number on it , my AMA number is already stuck to the outside of the battery door on the bottom of the fuselage (with a home made label from one of those "P Touch" label makers) . What I was really curious of is if anyone had read anywhere in the new FAA rules anything about the FAA number needing to be the most prominent or anything like that . I had considered removing them , but if I don't have to , since it's survived 10 years like this , maybe the numbers are it's good luck charm and it'll crash and be destroyed on it's very next flight if they're gone
My AMA number along with my name and address is on a sticker inside the battery compartment and my FAA number is on the outside of all my models using a label maker. I haven't read anything about a change in positioning of the FAA number since we were all advised that it had to be on the outside of the model and clearly visible/legible. I wonder, if some sort of RID comes into effect, either in it's current form or, hopefully in some modified form, if the broadcast of your information, registration number, FAA number, whatever the criteria are, will replace the need to display the FAA ID on the outside of the craft. If registration of the pilot as we have now goes away in favor of registering each individual model, then the FAA number we currently have would not be in compliance with the new regulations, or so it would seem.

You may have a point about that number being good luck! I think I would leave it as is unless we can find some announcement to the contrary.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:00 AM
speedracerntrixie

It just occurred to me as I started to work on the rudder of my new build, there is plenty of room on the trailing edge for my FAA number.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:04 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
What ever happened to the knowledge test?

The FAA is still working on it.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:17 AM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
The only thing I have read is that your FAA number must be on the airplane somewhere and must be legible. I think I will move all mine to the rudder as typically the tail survives a crash.
FAA requires it to be on the outside of the plane. No rule on size or placement. I've seen people put it on the bottom of the wing in the bevel for the ailerons.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Knowledge test is coming.

For all the anti-AMA ranting, the AMA got involved heavily in this process and has worked very hard to make it as painless as possible. It will be administered online by a number of testing centers and be extremely easy to pass.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:19 PM
jcmors

It just occurred to me as I started to work on the rudder of my new build, there is plenty of room on the trailing edge for my FAA number.
That looks like an excellent placement for it!
Old 03-15-2020, 12:21 PM
jcmors

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

For all the anti-AMA ranting, the AMA got involved heavily in this process and has worked very hard to make it as painless as possible. It will be administered online by a number of testing centers and be extremely easy to pass.
Thanks for bringing some Happy News back into the Happy AMA thread!
Old 03-15-2020, 03:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Andy, not all of the so called "anti-AMA ranting" is just ranting. When the AMA does something good, IMHO, I'll say so. If the AMA has been involved in coming up with a workable knowledge test, that is a good thing. We all know most that don't support the AMA are looking at only one or two things the AMA is trying to do that we can't agree with or, for that matter, condone. I'm pretty sure most know where I stand, no need to repeat it here.
That being said, is there anything else happening for the good of aviation and not just for the good of the AMA in Muncie?
Old 03-15-2020, 10:16 PM
FUTABA-RC

Which brings into question for having such a requirement in the first place.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:30 AM
BarracudaHockey

Congress mandated that the FAA does a knowledge test for rec flying.
We (the AMA) tried to make it as painless as possible

We know remote ID of some form is coming, we are trying to lobby to make it workable.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:07 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

A couple thoughts to keep the " goodwill thread " going, maybe expand to what we do if anything to keep our AMA cards from getting dirty, lost and such and maybe some pictures of models bearing our AMA numbers. The latter would be a good tool to let others know what it is each of us are fighting the FAA to preserve. I for one appreciate all forms of model aircraft and others workmanship.
Here you go Speed , if you want to see a great picture of what we're trying to preserve , I believe this shot encompasses the idea perfectly .

This is my Son (who is now a grown adult) standing with the very same PT-17 that's in my avatar , parked alongside the real thing at an airshow . If you look closely you can see my AMA number on the side of the model

Old 04-11-2020, 07:30 AM
init4fun

PS , any and all are invited to join Speed and I in posting pics of what you think is good about model aviation and what it means to future generations of aviators , both model and full scale ...
Old 04-11-2020, 09:17 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

That Army Air Corps scheme is one of my favorites! Seeing that scheme as a child is truly one of the reasons I am a sucker for all things aviation. Not sure what it was, but it sure caught my attention!

The second plane I built was a Sig Astrohog (go figure!) in that scheme. That scheme lent itself well to that particular model, and many times it was mistaken for a PT-19. I have pictures, but have not digitized them yet. I guess that really shows my age!! LOL.

Astro
Old 04-11-2020, 05:21 PM
speedracerntrixie

The wife and I have spent time at the flying field both yesterday and today. After the Covid 19 crisis hit my wife was laid off from her job and spends her day alone while I am at work. Some evenings we just take a short drive just to get her out of the house. Today's outing to the field was a bit more special to me as it was maiden day for my buddy Russ. Russ was the first guy to buy one of my Divergent kits and has been building it during the winter. The thrill I got while watching an R/C brother enjoy a product of my efforts is something I can't quite put into words. I myself was able to obtain a personal goal and that was to bring my different interests together for a flying session. Today I flew my Divergent pattern airplane, X-Cell helicopter and Supra Sailplane.

Future pilot?

Russ's brand new Divergent with the Prototype looking it over.

Part of the fleet.

All packed up after a rewarding day.

Now at home, our granddaughter has been dropped off for an overnight visit with us. Once she is old enough she will be joining us on our trips to the flying field. I have no idea if she will get the spark to fly or not but she should enjoy the abundance of wildlife and fresh air.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:10 PM
init4fun

Hi Guys ,

Astro I'm right with you on the PT-17 and PT-19 color schemes , my beginnings in the hobby involve a Sterling .049 powered control line kit that I built in the Army Air Corps scheme . Once I learned how to not crash & reglue it back together and actually fly it I flew it to the point of actually wearing out a couple of Fox .049s .

And Speed , What can I say , Wow your granddaughter is a cute baby , congratulations to your family for the new member !!!! Also , I wish you much success in selling your Divergent kits , seeing such kits still available from fellow members is really great .

Last edited by init4fun; 04-12-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:54 PM
speedracerntrixie

Thanks Init, I suppose you can guess which one I am more proud of. Although I can't take much credit for the grandchild. All that credit goes to my wife and step daughter, they have the beauty genes. My step daughter came into my life when she was 12. I am blessed to be able to have witnessed her grow into the woman she is now and start a family of her own.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:38 PM
init4fun

I've always believed that when you let someone into your life who has a child , and then you treat that child as your own , you become that child's parent totally , no steps about it . From 12 years old you've been your daughter's dad and are now your granddaughter's grandpa specifically due to your influence in their lives , this means so much more than genes ever could . You have every reason to be proud , bringing forth the next generations is our ultimate responsibility to life and you have done very well .
Old 04-12-2020, 06:04 PM
speedracerntrixie

You are correct, I always considered her and her brother my children. I knew no other way. We found out about being grandparents a few months prior to the scheduled shut down of the company I was working for, I just looked over at my wife and told her we needed to move up to Portland to be close to her and the baby. My last day in Sacramento was the same day my youngest son's recruiter came to pick him up to take him to MEPs, then off to Camp Pendleton the next day. That was my 8th and last drive from Sacramento to Portland in a 3 month timeframe. I am truly blessed to have 5 children making their own way through this world, of course with a little help from us time to time. As it applies to this thread, I realize that not every R/C club is as welcoming as they could be. That being said, the two clubs that I have joined up here have truly been extremely welcoming. My wife and I have both met new friends since being up here through the R/C clubs. One of the guys in the Soaring club even refers to my wife as his " Soaring Girlfriend ".

Thank you for your kind words, it's nice to have somone realize there is more to ones life then what we see here.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:32 PM
jcmors

Now at home, our granddaughter has been dropped off for an overnight visit with us. Once she is old enough she will be joining us on our trips to the flying field. I have no idea if she will get the spark to fly or not but she should enjoy the abundance of wildlife and fresh air.
Congrats on your kits being successful and that is one adorable grandbaby. I have a few of those myself!
Old 04-13-2020, 02:57 AM
BarracudaHockey

Got some social distancing done Saturday morning. (no one got closer than 1 wing span)

New H-9 XCub 60cc, Evolution 62cc, PowerBox CORE radio and rx and soon to be a new glider tug as soon as the parts get here.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:17 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I'm designing and 3D printing universal anchors for helis, MRs, and FW that I can use in a rack I'm building for the back of my SUV. The road to my land is pretty rough, and gravity isn't enough to prevent "car rash." I know there's commercial options, but the skid clamps are too expensive in my opinion, not available for the larger MR skids, and not something easily modified for FW. So I'm trying to design something that works for all and requires nothing more fancy than standardized pattern of holes in the "shelf" of the rack.

Second project is 3D printing small PF's for one friend, and 3D rockets for a teacher friend.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:51 PM
speedracerntrixie

Got some social distancing done Saturday morning. (no one got closer than 1 wing span)

New H-9 XCub 60cc, Evolution 62cc, PowerBox CORE radio and rx and soon to be a new glider tug as soon as the parts get here.

What parts are required Andy? I am currently recovering/Painting my 30% Reed Falcon and want to incorporate the option to do some glider towing. I was going to simply make up a device that attached to the upper wing that enables me to release the towline.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:52 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by franklin_m
For what it's worth, I'm designing and 3D printing universal anchors for helis, MRs, and FW that I can use in a rack I'm building for the back of my SUV. The road to my land is pretty rough, and gravity isn't enough to prevent "car rash." I know there's commercial options, but the skid clamps are too expensive in my opinion, not available for the larger MR skids, and not something easily modified for FW. So I'm trying to design something that works for all and requires nothing more fancy than standardized pattern of holes in the "shelf" of the rack.

Second project is 3D printing small PF's for one friend, and 3D rockets for a teacher friend.

I'm actually glad to hear that you are making something tangible, I wish you success.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.