Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA recreational UAS operator change for 2020?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA recreational UAS operator change for 2020?

Old 01-31-2020, 05:00 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
, all this does is supposedly make it easier to catch the idiots.
That is assuming the idiots will bother to comply in the first place. Which, I doubt they will, so......no easier to catch them either!

Astro
Old 01-31-2020, 06:13 PM
ira d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the real reason behind these proposed laws is drive people out of the hobby, and as more and more people leave the hobby the companies that manufacture and sell RC products close down also.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:38 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
That is assuming the idiots will bother to comply in the first place. Which, I doubt they will, so......no easier to catch them either!

Astro

You are correct, keep in mind that this is being driven by the same congress that thinks we need more gun laws to prevent mass shootings when what we really need is an economy that affords parents the time to actually parent.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:31 AM
jcmors

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
You are correct, keep in mind that this is being driven by the same congress that thinks we need more gun laws to prevent mass shootings when what we really need is an economy that affords parents the time to actually parent.
Parents these days, at least the majority, don't parent. The typical concept of being a parent today revolves around sitting the kids in front of the TV, buying them video games and basically ignoring them unless they become a nuisance. When they get older and get into trouble the parents wonder why!

Just my 2 cents.

Agree though that an economy where both parents don't have to work 60 hours a week to make ends meet would be a tremendous help and make a huge difference.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:42 AM
init4fun

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grognard View Post
I see it a bit differently. The preamble section of the NPRM makes it clear that Remote ID is needed for the new Unmanned Traffic Management (UTM) system. If drones are going to operate BVLOS (which the commercial operators are desperate for) they have to be able to "sense and avoid" each other. Not just where they SHOULD be, but where they ACTUALLY are.

This is the fundamental reason FAA wants Remote ID; it isn't really about safety at all. "Safety" (in their minds) is about keeping UAS below 400' and away from critical airspace via LAANC.

I agree they are responding to media hysteria (and law enforcement pressure) by making the data available for security purposes. They also don't want to spend money they don't have on "drone controllers" and ground stations - so they try to make an Internet-based system work.

I think some official must have said, "Give me a system by the end of the year, and make it pay for itself". This is the result. Well, if you want it real bad, that's how you get it: REAL BAD.
If the same "like" tab existed here in the AMA forum as it does in the entire rest of RCU , I'd give this post a like ......
Old 02-03-2020, 11:12 AM
CactusJackSlade

Most who have been suggesting it are correct, the big delivery Boys are the ones behind the big push. We should ALL be concerned and be submitting comments... not only to the FAA but to your state Representatives.

HERE is a direct link to the FAA comment area and proposed rule changes - PLEASE make your comments known!
Old 02-03-2020, 11:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Actually its not the delivery companies, its Home Land Security and DOD
Old 02-03-2020, 12:07 PM
CactusJackSlade

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Actually its not the delivery companies, its Home Land Security and DOD
I'm absolutely sure that is part as well, but by the reaction from the FAA rep I talked to I was spot on when I mentioned Amazon and Fed-Ex certainly has their hand in it.

In either case, unless we, the AMA and others step up, comment and push back IMO our hobby will be decimated.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:05 PM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post
I'm absolutely sure that is part as well, but by the reaction from the FAA rep I talked to I was spot on when I mentioned Amazon and Fed-Ex certainly has their hand in it.

In either case, unless we, the AMA and others step up, comment and push back IMO our hobby will be decimated.
Actually, BarracudaHockey has it right. Blaming Amazon, UPS, etc is really more of a red herring.

This is being driven by DHS and DOD.

R_Strowe
Old 02-12-2020, 07:00 PM
RCUer75345
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Strowe View Post
This is being driven by DHS and DOD.
With respect: What's your evidence for this conclusion?

Absent evidence, I take FAA at their word that Remote ID is needed as a building block for UTM, to make "detect and avoid" possible.

And UTM is needed by commercial drone operators - not DoD and DHS.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:37 PM
CactusJackSlade

Originally Posted by grognard View Post
With respect: What's your evidence for this conclusion?

Absent evidence, I take FAA at their word that Remote ID is needed as a building block for UTM, to make "detect and avoid" possible.

And UTM is needed by commercial drone operators - not DoD and DHS.
I would say LARGE commercial drone operations like Amazon, FedEx, UPS etc.... the current LAANC system we have now is just fine for most middle and smaller operators.

Recreationally, this will devastate the R/C hobby industry.