Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is the rational economic reason for joining AMA?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is the rational economic reason for joining AMA?

Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 PM
franklin_m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
7. Executive Director’s Report (Chad Budreau)
Standing Rules (Angie Martin, Andy Argenio)
- Currently have 66,000 Youth members.
- AMA is planning on bringing in 400,000 youth members through JROTC partnerships to include the Airforce.
- Insurance premiums will increase substantially for youth, costing AMA millions.
As I recall the more recent AMA releases have said "over 180,000 members." So that puts paying members at what? Around 120,000? That's down about 15% from the 140,000 or so paying members just a couple years ago.

As for JROTC and third point. I don't know if it's a ...because of ... bringing in 400,000 youth members ... will cause ... insurance provisions to increase substantially? Or if something else?

Also, I don't know what it would accomplish other than juicing the total numbers or trying to tap into the DoD funding. The former is nothing more than what they tried to do by handing out all those "free" youth memberships ... which I'm not sure they can continue (there are costs). As for the trying to use JROTC programs to tap into military funding, that is a very high risk strategy. First, if other CBO type groups see AMA doing it, they will go hat in hand to DoD for the same ... which might bring up issues. Why? Because DoD policy requires that whatever you do for one group, you have to do the same for all similar groups. So funding AMA via JROTC creates a real problem for DoD, because they will have a great deal of difficulty saying no to other CBOs, whether aviation related or not. Even if the AMA succeeds in getting funding, that's a feast or famine thing. You want to know what is some of the first things to cut when DoD budgets get tight? Like when trying to find money to offset 6 TRILLION in spending? All these "nice to have" and "feel good" efforts. So it might lead to a big cash infusion one year, but could easily go to zero with little or no warning.

Just some thoughts. Once again, they better really think hard about unintended consequences of this kind of approach...
Old 03-28-2020, 12:27 PM
fliers1

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
As I recall the more recent AMA releases have said "over 180,000 members." So that puts paying members at what? Around 120,000? That's down about 15% from the 140,000 or so paying members just a couple years ago.

As for JROTC and third point. I don't know if it's a ...because of ... bringing in 400,000 youth members ... will cause ... insurance provisions to increase substantially? Or if something else?

Also, I don't know what it would accomplish other than juicing the total numbers or trying to tap into the DoD funding. The former is nothing more than what they tried to do by handing out all those "free" youth memberships ... which I'm not sure they can continue (there are costs). As for the trying to use JROTC programs to tap into military funding, that is a very high risk strategy. First, if other CBO type groups see AMA doing it, they will go hat in hand to DoD for the same ... which might bring up issues. Why? Because DoD policy requires that whatever you do for one group, you have to do the same for all similar groups. So funding AMA via JROTC creates a real problem for DoD, because they will have a great deal of difficulty saying no to other CBOs, whether aviation related or not. Even if the AMA succeeds in getting funding, that's a feast or famine thing. You want to know what is some of the first things to cut when DoD budgets get tight? Like when trying to find money to offset 6 TRILLION in spending? All these "nice to have" and "feel good" efforts. So it might lead to a big cash infusion one year, but could easily go to zero with little or no warning.

Just some thoughts. Once again, they better really think hard about unintended consequences of this kind of approach...
Has any thought given to club instructors. They're going to love having 400k newbies looking for instruction if this program gains traction.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:34 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

04/2020 issue of MA page 100:

approximately 111,000 adult members
Old 03-28-2020, 03:01 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it was never a financial decision. It was, and still is, based almost entirely on it being required to access my local flying sites and to enter various areas of competition that I have enjoyed over the years.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:04 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
And therein you cite rather elegantly the fundamental reason AMA will ultimately fail. .
Which raises the question, once you are done dancing deliriously on its grave how will you occupy yourself?
Old 03-28-2020, 04:04 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC View Post
Which raises the question, once you are done dancing deliriously on its grave how will you occupy yourself?
I have no desire to see AMA go away. What I do want is for them to once and for all:

1. Stop trying to manipulate law and regulation to compel membership, and

2. Do like other CBOs (NRA, AOPA, EAA, ARRL and FliteTest now too), and advocate for ALL participants equally, not just their members and for special carve outs.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-29-2020 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:07 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
04/2020 issue of MA page 100:

approximately 111,000 adult members
I'll have to go check my notes, but I recall they quoted 140,000 a few years back. That would be quite a drop.