Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Will we wait a month for 25 April EC minutes?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Will we wait a month for 25 April EC minutes?

Old 06-01-2020, 12:33 PM
franklin_m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What struck me was the absence of any sense of urgency with respect to finances. Ad revenue is down, investment returns are down, investment value is down, paying membership is down, and acquisition of new members is down -- and they talk only of saving a few pennies here or there? Unbelievable. They need to go after this year's spending and next year's budget with a machete.

Dear God please stop with the incrementalist approach to the magazine. It's lost money every year for the past decade, I seem to remember it's $20 million in losses so far. Stick a fork in it already! But nooooooo. Let's give it to a committee for study and waste money for another six months! Unbelievable. Payroll is the biggest expense and they're considering adding to it with high dollar IT people and membership position? Unbelievable. Talk of how the "new" website doesn't work well on mobile devices? Wait, how much money did we spend on it (ED's 'baby' as I recall from about a year ago) and they didn't think of that? Unbelievable. And they want to spend more? Unbelieveable.

Time is a luxury they do not have, yet they're acting as if they can trim around the edges.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:53 PM
jcmors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
What struck me was the absence of any sense of urgency with respect to finances. Ad revenue is down, investment returns are down, investment value is down, paying membership is down, and acquisition of new members is down -- and they talk only of saving a few pennies here or there? Unbelievable. They need to go after this year's spending and next year's budget with a machete.

Dear God please stop with the incrementalist approach to the magazine. It's lost money every year for the past decade, I seem to remember it's $20 million in losses so far. Stick a fork in it already! But nooooooo. Let's give it to a committee for study and waste money for another six months! Unbelievable. Payroll is the biggest expense and they're considering adding to it with high dollar IT people and membership position? Unbelievable. Talk of how the "new" website doesn't work well on mobile devices? Wait, how much money did we spend on it (ED's 'baby' as I recall from about a year ago) and they didn't think of that? Unbelievable. And they want to spend more? Unbelieveable.

Time is a luxury they do not have, yet they're acting as if they can trim around the edges.
On the "website doesn't work well on mobile devices" this sort of statement this long after the website is out there would be unacceptable on any software development project I have ever been involved in. The last several clients I have been involved with in software design, architecture and development all expected the web site/web application to incorporate responsive design (IT industry standard term for making sure it works on desktops, tablets and the variety of mobile devices and phones out there). It isn't even something that I would expect a client to have to specifically ask for where web based development is concerned. Having the site work on mobile devices should be intuitive and part of any good design. If I had delivered a web application like the one I was responsible for that just went live last month, and it "didn't work on mobile devices well" I can guarantee you I would be expected to make the design work on mobile devices and for no additional money. Delivering a web based product today without not only having it work on different size devices but also in various browsers and on various brands (android, apple, etc) would likely cause me to be unemployed.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Naw, you could work for the company I work at(notice I didn't say FOR). They install programs that were never designed to work together and modify them so they will. Needless to say, one "upgrade" can require several weeks, at least, of correcting the errors that were because of IT's failure to verify everything is good to go before it's installed company wide