Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Questions for AMA Membership Mtg - 25 July

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Questions for AMA Membership Mtg - 25 July

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 10:00 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet another question:

Since 2001, the first year for which IRS990 data is available, the expenses for the magazines have exceeded the revenue. How many more years will the EC allow these losses to continue?
Old 07-19-2020, 12:35 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
Prop, can you give me one good reason why the EC should not answer any of the questions posed?

It's almost as if they might expose their inadequacies if they were to answer them.

Do you think that Franklin's questions are improper or out of line? If so, why?

I mean, Franklin COULD ask his local AMA rep, (who wouldn't have the answers), who would then be obligated to pose the question to the EC, who would, in turn, be obligated to give an answer, why not just answer the questions on the streamed MEMBERSHIP MEETING? Isn't that a proper venue for members to voice opinions and answer questions? If not, what IS the proper venue?

Astro
Have you ever attended any of these meetings in person? Your dues give you the same rights/power of a single share holder. You belong to a region, state, district or zone where you elect a rep of some sort to take your issues to the main meetings. In some organizations this is the only voice you will have. In others you have one vote either in person or via an open or closed proxy. Each rep usually carries all the votes of the area he represents. If you have a proxy system the proxies will be deducted from the number of members he represents. At a general meeting the reps all together hold all of the votes less those attending in person and the proxies registered at the start of the meeting. As you can see members in attendance and proxies have little power to do anything. In fact many times the meetings in days prior to the general meeting everything has been decided and voted upon via the directors. The general meeting is for show only. They will entertain some discussion then call for a vote. The directors who hold the majority vote as agreed upon in the prior meetings will control the result and the proxies and attendees votes noted and recorded. If they didn't do it this way and entertained a question and answer period from guys like Franklin the meeting could go on forever same as he does on the forum. Most general meetings do not allow new items or motions from the floor. If they haven't come up through the district meetings they may not be discussed at all. Questions most likely will be regulated to the motion or item at hand before the board. If they are not discussing the cost vs return for the magazine for instance a question in regard to that may not even be allowed.

The rep at his regional meeting will present motions, ideas and suggestions and the members at that meeting usually vote on which he will bring to the main meetings. If your idea, motion or suggestion are not supported by a majority of your area most likely it dies right there as there is no known support by the majority of your peers.

Questions on this open time will most likely be very general in nature and will be picked and chosen mostly on items that have been brought before the board. For instance Franklin's question about the magazine income vs expenses might be answered; "At this time the magazine is the legal method of communication to the membership. We are constantly looking into improving communications and cutting costs." and that will be the only answer.

I am a long time board member and member of an executive that deal with shareholders some with goodly investments that they think somehow gives them rights to pontificate at general meetings. They soon find that is not acceptable and if they continue are physically removed from the meeting.

If you let everyone who has a cause or ax to grind take control of a meeting nothing would get accomplished.

Every question will not be on display.
They may limit it to one question per person to give as many a chance in the time allocated. I think that Franklin knows this and that is why hes putting so many questions out there hoping others will pick up on them and ask for him.
Questions most likely will be short answered I doubt there will be any time for debate.

I'm not saying that this is how its going to be but from my experience I suspect something very similar. We will have to see how it turns out but I am sure it will never be to Franklin's satisfaction.

Last edited by Propworn; 07-19-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Have you ever attended any of these meetings in person? Your dues give you the same rights/power of a single share holder. You belong to a region, state, district or zone where you elect a rep of some sort to take your issues to the main meetings. In some organizations this is the only voice you will have. In others you have one vote either in person or via an open or closed proxy. Each rep usually carries all the votes of the area he represents. If you have a proxy system the proxies will be deducted from the number of members he represents. At a general meeting the reps all together hold all of the votes less those attending in person and the proxies registered at the start of the meeting. As you can see members in attendance and proxies have little power to do anything. In fact many times the meetings in days prior to the general meeting everything has been decided and voted upon via the directors. The general meeting is for show only. They will entertain some discussion then call for a vote. The directors who hold the majority vote as agreed upon in the prior meetings will control the result and the proxies and attendees votes noted and recorded. If they didn't do it this way and entertained a question and answer period from guys like Franklin the meeting could go on forever same as he does on the forum. Most general meetings do not allow new items or motions from the floor. If they haven't come up through the district meetings they may not be discussed at all. Questions most likely will be regulated to the motion or item at hand before the board. If they are not discussing the cost vs return for the magazine for instance a question in regard to that may not even be allowed.

The rep at his regional meeting will present motions, ideas and suggestions and the members at that meeting usually vote on which he will bring to the main meetings. If your idea, motion or suggestion are not supported by a majority of your area most likely it dies right there as there is no known support by the majority of your peers.

Questions on this open time will most likely be very general in nature and will be picked and chosen mostly on items that have been brought before the board. For instance Franklin's question about the magazine income vs expenses might be answered; "At this time the magazine is the legal method of communication to the membership. We are constantly looking into improving communications and cutting costs." and that will be the only answer.

I am a long time board member and member of an executive that deal with shareholders some with goodly investments that they think somehow gives them rights to pontificate at general meetings. They soon find that is not acceptable and if they continue are physically removed from the meeting.

If you let everyone who has a cause or ax to grind take control of a meeting nothing would get accomplished.

They may limit it to one question per person to give as many a chance in the time allocated. I think that Franklin knows this and that is why hes putting so many questions out there hoping others will pick up on them and ask for him.
Questions most likely will be short answered I doubt there will be any time for debate.

I'm not saying that this is how its going to be but from my experience I suspect something very similar. We will have to see how it turns out but I am sure it will never be to Franklin's satisfaction.
So, what you're saying is they will pick one or two that they can answer with a non-answer and blow him off. IF you're correct, that would be business as usual for the EC, don't respond to questions asked, just keep on with doing what they've always done, meaning do what they want and don't answer to anyone
Old 07-19-2020, 02:14 PM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
So, what you're saying is they will pick one or two that they can answer with a non-answer and blow him off. IF you're correct, that would be business as usual for the EC, don't respond to questions asked, just keep on with doing what they've always done, meaning do what they want and don't answer to anyone
The way I read what Prop said was that ANY board-type organization will act the same way as AMA does/is. I think he is saying that the proper channel is through the local rep, in this case.

Remember we are members, not stockholders.

R_Strowe
Old 07-19-2020, 02:21 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The AMA has tagged Franklin as a trouble maker, rule of thumb for ANY organization is to not placate trouble makers. I'm quite sure he has a couple new threads planned for after he gets blown off.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:29 PM
Hydro Junkie

But this does bring up another question. Since only 10% or so of the membership voted in the last election, how many are going to take the time to watch the stream? Maybe 5%?
Old 07-19-2020, 02:33 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

And even more amusing is to consider how few members are even aware of this forum!! You are all mostly just talking amongst yourselves. Nobody else is paying any attention.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:01 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
And even more amusing is to consider how few members are even aware of this forum!! You are all mostly just talking amongst yourselves. Nobody else is paying any attention.
And yet an EC member commented herein, which means he's aware of them, as are all other members of the EC who received my email with the link to this forum. The elegant thing is that even if they they don't answer these, the trends are unaffected. And no matter what they say, these questions are on the record, so if in a year or two nothing has changed - we can go back and bring that to their attention too!
Old 07-19-2020, 03:41 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I commend and thank you for the long, coherent post with no personal attacks.

Now, how about answering my questions?

Astro
Old 07-19-2020, 03:48 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And yet an EC member commented herein, which means he's aware of them, as are all other members of the EC who received my email with the link to this forum. The elegant thing is that even if they they don't answer these, the trends are unaffected. And no matter what they say, these questions are on the record, so if in a year or two nothing has changed - we can go back and bring that to their attention too!
On the record? How do you figure just because you sent a personal communication or posted it here. The only way things get on the record is if they are entered into the record/minutes of either the district r general meeting.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:03 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

If your counting on postings to RCU as being proof of anything in the future I hope your saving screenshots of all the info you intend to use ...

With the lack of traffic here at RCU , IB may pull the plug on it before the EC spends the AMA dry
Old 07-19-2020, 04:11 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by astrohog
I commend and thank you for the long, coherent post with no personal attacks.

Now, how about answering my questions?

Astro
The answer to your questions are contained in your last paragraph re the proper channels. Regardless of being a good or pertinent question bypassing the proper channels leaves reason to ignore the questions altogether.

I have attended meetings where even a poorly worded or poorly thought out issue has been brought up through appropriate channels has been read into the minutes, entered as a mater of record and addressed or sometimes if the issue has merit sent back for rework on the wording.

Franky knows all this being in the military. Skipping rank/proper channels with issues/and competency of those in charge doesn't open many doors. It certainly doesn't get you a favorable audience to air your concerns.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

The answer to your questions are contained in your last paragraph re the proper channels. Regardless of being a good or pertinent question bypassing the proper channels leaves reason to ignore the questions altogether.

I have attended meetings where even a poorly worded or poorly thought out issue has been brought up through appropriate channels has been read into the minutes, entered as a mater of record and addressed or sometimes if the issue has merit sent back for rework on the wording.

Franky knows all this being in the military. Skipping rank/proper channels with issues/and competency of those in charge doesn't open many doors. It certainly doesn't get you a favorable audience to air your concerns.
But you are forgetting one little detail. While you have to go through the appropriate channels in the military, you can BYPASS members of the chain of command legally. To do so, you must inform the person you are bypassing that you are going to go over their head and, if desired(or asked/ordered to do so), give the reason why. I did so back in 1985, bypassing my squadron's executive officer to take up an issue with the commanding officer. Since this had to do with another officer that had violated safety protocols that could have gotten him, me and two others killed, I wanted the issue on record and, to do so, I had to bypass the XO. When told my reason why I wanted to deal with the CO, he had no problem with me going over his head, even set up the proceedings to do so

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-19-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:15 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
But you are forgetting one little detail. While you have to go through the appropriate channels in the military, you can BYPASS members of the chain of command legally. To do so, you must inform the person you are bypassing that you are going to go over their head and, if desired(or asked/ordered to do so), give the reason why. I did so back in 1985, bypassing my squadron's executive officer to take up an issue with the commanding officer. Since this had to do with another officer that had violated safety protocols that could have gotten him, me and two others killed, I wanted the issue on record and, to do so, I had to bypass the XO. When told my reason why I wanted to deal with the CO, he had no problem with me going over his head, even set up the proceedings to do so
Read your own post there is a procedure for bypassing the members of the chain of command you followed procedure and were given the go ahead. There is a big difference between life and death situations and demanding an answer to deficit spending. I don't think you would have gotten the same reception had you complained that you felt the mess was deficit spending and you wanted answers if they were going to continue to do so.

Answering for the Hog and acting as Franky's wing man its that Minion thing again eh!!!

Last edited by Propworn; 07-19-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:17 PM
astrohog

The answer to your questions are contained in your last paragraph
In my last paragraph? I beg to differ, read my questions again.
your entire post was based on pure supposition and on how other organizations run their meetings.
I also posed questions of you that weren’t necessarily specifically related to AMA meeting protocol.

Astro
Old 07-19-2020, 08:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Read your own post there is a procedure for bypassing the members of the chain of command you followed procedure and were given the go ahead. There is a big difference between life and death situations and demanding an answer to deficit spending. I don't think you would have gotten the same reception had you complained that you felt the mess was deficit spending and you wanted answers if they were going to continue to do so.

Answering for the Hog and acting as Franky's wing man its that Minion thing again eh!!!
No, I'm pointing out that the military has a process to follow, THE AMA DOESN'T!!!!. Unless you can prove otherwise, you're not saying anything that is based on the charter or bylaws of the AMA. The officers are elected by the members and answer to them, not only the questions they want to answer but all questions. If the officers can't or won't, they need to step down. I would expect no less from anyone in an elected position, myself included. That's something called "integrity", in case you hadn't figured it out yet.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:48 AM
franklin_m

Here's another:

A look at an internet traffic website shows that Flitetest.com gets approximately 10x as many hits as modelaircraft.org; is this an indicator of relative strength of following? If not, then why do they get so much more traffic than AMA sites?
Old 07-20-2020, 03:50 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by init4fun
If your counting on postings to RCU as being proof of anything in the future I hope your saving screenshots of all the info you intend to use ...With the lack of traffic here at RCU , IB may pull the plug on it before the EC spends the AMA dry
True enough. But your comment got me thinking.

I checked one of the internet traffic data websites, and it showed Flitetest.com has 10x as many hits as modelaircraft.org? Flitetest approx 500K, modelaircraft just 55k. Another indicator that whomever we're paying to generate interesting content -- to draw hits -- isn't working.

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-20-2020 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:27 AM
franklin_m

Here's a link to the bylaws. You said above "there is a procedure for bypassing the members of the chain of command;" please point us to it.
001bylaws.pdf
Old 07-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Propworn

Here's a link to the bylaws. You said above "there is a procedure for bypassing the members of the chain of command;" please point us to it.
Attachment 2267886
Nothing to do with the AMA I was agreeing with Junkie and his tell of the actions he took while in the military I have no idea if its true or not I accept his word that is what happened. It don't think it has much to do with how the AMA functions. If you beg to differ with Junkies tell I suggest taking it up with him.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not that it's any of your concern, but I already sent Franklin a PM on this rather than fill up the thread
Old 07-20-2020, 01:50 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Here's another:

A look at an internet traffic website shows that Flitetest.com gets approximately 10x as many hits as modelaircraft.org; is this an indicator of relative strength of following? If not, then why do they get so much more traffic than AMA sites?
RC Groups gets about 10X the hits of RC Universe. Is this an indicator of what a backwater RCU has become?
Old 07-20-2020, 01:53 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
RC Groups gets about 10X the hits of RC Universe. Is this an indicator of what a backwater RCU has become?
Unfortunately , YES , , yes it IS exactly that .

Several wonky software upgrades (and a couple of other factors) have pretty much doomed this place .
Old 07-20-2020, 05:59 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Ya have to wonder if the playground antics that happen in this forum has anything to do with that. IMO FB is a much better information resource.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:58 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Ya have to wonder if the playground antics that happen in this forum has anything to do with that. IMO FB is a much better information resource.
you mean like the name-calling and personal attacks?
Or the ignoring of the facts and reality?
Nope. They happen just as much over there, too.

It’s pretty much the norm these days, sadly...but YOU knew that already, didn’t you?

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.