Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Questions for AMA Membership Mtg - 25 July

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Questions for AMA Membership Mtg - 25 July

Old 07-10-2020, 05:19 AM
franklin_m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for AMA Membership Mtg - 25 July

On 25 July, AMA will host (and live stream at www.modelaircraft.org/funfly) the annual membership meeting. Required by the organization bylaws, this is your chance to ask questions of "leadership." I'd argue that they have an ethical obligation to answer questions from members, but since we know transparency is not their strong suit, I'm not holding my breath.

I submitted questions to [email protected] per the email. I copied Joyce H and Mark R so they can't say "We didn't receive them." I encourage you to submit questions as well, and post them all here so we can all see what they're answering (and what they're not). That could be very good insight into whether they're willing to to really be accountable to members, or if we're indeed just the "unwashed masses" who don't deserve the courtesy of straight answers to straight questions. Here's the three questions I submitted to the AMA ED:

(1) How many sanctioned flying sites in class G airspace have received written waivers to law, specifically PL 115-254 Section 349(a)(6)?

(2) It's half way through AMA's 2020 fiscal year; year to date has AMA total spending exceeded AMA year to date total revenue?

(3) How many sanctioned flying sites in controlled airspace have received permission to operate legally above 500 feet AGL?
Old 07-11-2020, 01:20 AM
franklin_m

AMA tells us that one of the more important reasons to be a member is their "advocacy." The questions below relate DIRECTLY to the actual RESULTS they're producing (or not) from their "advocacy." I encourage you to submit them to Chad per above. Why? Because we as members deserve answers to direct questions related to what we're getting for our dollar. For at the end of the day, what matters isn't all the "working on ..." rhetoric on blogs, but the actual RESULTS. If you submit them, and the EC, ED, President, or Executive Vice President doesn't answer them directly, then that says a lot .... and we should all pay attention to that silence. Hopefully they'll answer. They need to be honest with us all.

Can the AMA produce anything - in writing - from the FAA that permits AMA members to violate PL 115-254 Section 349 Section 349(a)(6)?

Is the EC, ED, President, or Executive Vice President aware of any sanctioned events where the Contest Directors or Event Managers, "Agents of the AMA," have permitted operations in violation of PL 115-254 Section 349(a)(5) or PL 115-254 Section 349(a)(6)?

How many sanctioned events in class G airspace have received written waivers to PL 115-254 Section 349(a)(6)?

How many sanctioned events in controlled airspace (B,C, D surface areas, or E surface areas) have received written waivers to exceed LAANC published altitudes for the sanctioned event location

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-11-2020 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 07-11-2020, 03:47 AM
franklin_m

Another important reason for membership meetings is to hold them accountable for how they're spending our money. For those so inclined, here's questions you can ask as well:

CFO stated in MA that ad revenue for the magazines has been declining; when was the last fiscal year that the total revenue produced by the magazines exceeded the total expenses for the magazines (including staff costs)?

AMAs IRS 990s show that in constant inflation adjusted dollars, the magazines have lost an average of $1.7 MILLION a year over the period 2002 to 2018. Is anyone accountable to members for over $29 MILLION that was LOST?

AMA's IRS 990s show that per the 2018 filing, AMA's total assets have declined nearly 37% since their high in 2005. What is your strategy to reverse this trend?

Per AMA IRS 990s, in constant year inflation adjusted dollars per BLS.gov inflation calculator, the total salaries paid by AMA have grown by 11.8% over the period 2005 to 2018. Over the same period, inflation adjusted using the same method, Executive Compensation has grown by 143.9%. Why is Executive Compensation growing 12 times as fast as other salaries?

Per AMA IRS 990s, in 2005 the Executive Compensation was 6.8% of all salaries; by 2018 it had grown to 13.7% of all salaries. Why is more and more of AMA members' dollar going to handful of Executives?

For each of the AMA fiscal years 2009 to 2018, where 990 data is publicly available, what was AMA's total lobbying expenditure as a percent of the maximum allowed under law?

For each of the AMA fiscal years 2009 to 2018, where 990 data is publicly available, what was AMA's total grants as a percent of total expenses?

From AMA 990 data, in constant inflation adjusted dollars, AMA's total assets are declining an average of 2.9% per year. Between 2017 and 2018 alone, they declined by 14.8%. What is the reason for the constant decline over time, and why such a big drop 2017 to 2018?

According to AMA 990 data over the period 2002 to 2018, in constant inflation adjusted dollars, member dues (accurate measure of paying members) declined in all but FOUR of those SIXTEEN years. More recently, between 2016 and 2017, it declined by 3.28 percent, and between 2017 and 2018 it declined by 10.5%. What is AMA strategy to reverse this trend?

Charity watchdogs* recommend looking at total program expenses (990 line 25 col B) divided by total functional expenses (990 line 25 col A) as measure. According to AMA 990 data over the period 2002 to 2018 in constant inflation adjusted dollars, AMA total expenses have increased an average of .36% per year, while program expenses* declined an average of 2%. Between 2018 and 2017 alone, AMA program expenses declined 11%. Why is AMA spending on program expenses (primary mission of organization)* declining while total expenses rising?

* https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...t.view&cpid=48

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-11-2020 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Adding questions
Old 07-11-2020, 08:20 AM
franklin_m

I sent the appended email to every member of the EC with a link to this thread. It will be VERY interesting to see if any of them have the ethical fortitude to answer the questions and be accountable for the trends that have persisted under "their watch."

"Esteemed Leaders of the AMA,

I've published a series of questions on RCU (note 1) that I think YOU need to answer at the upcoming membership meeting. These are questions directly related to YOUR management of members' dollars and the results of YOUR efforts. It is my observation the organization is very good at rhetoric, but transparency and accountability for results is lacking. Make no mistake, YOU are responsible for the trends detailed in these questions, and news flash - none of them are good. YOU owe members direct answers about what YOU are going to do about it.

The posting of the questions is an attempt to drive some sense of accountability for these trends. By showing members on RCU what you've been asked, they can compare against what you answer in the meeting, and thus see whether you're being transparent, open, and honest. Note, all the financial data comes from public IRS990s, so there's no "proprietary information" excuse to hide behind.

Given the significant financial challenges detailed by the CFO in MA, and the threat of an adverse RemoteID rule represents, I strongly recommend you level with members about the true state of the organization and actual results you've achieved (or not).

Note 1: Questions for AMA Membership Mtg - 25 July

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-11-2020 at 08:52 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 07-11-2020, 08:54 AM
jcmors

In general I think that opening up the meeting to an online venue is a step in the right direction. I've never managed to attend a members meeting in person before. It should be interesting.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:45 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by jcmors View Post
In general I think that opening up the meeting to an online venue is a step in the right direction. I've never managed to attend a members meeting in person before. It should be interesting.
Although I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, I hold severe doubts they have the fortitude or integrity to address any of the questions above, for to do so would admit that they've failed in their stewardship of the organization and achieved very little. I can only imagine if they'd taken just half the money they've lost on the magazine and put that into flying field acquisition and improvements.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:25 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can they host a meeting concerning the CDC guidelines? What if the state of Indiana closes up? I think Arizona is about to do that AGAIN......more to follow I'm sure.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:10 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by tailskid View Post
Can they host a meeting concerning the CDC guidelines? What if the state of Indiana closes up? I think Arizona is about to do that AGAIN......more to follow I'm sure.
Interesting, as I didn’t remember until now that they’d planned this meeting in conjunction with a fun fly - a large public gathering of people. With the latter at risk to due recent surges in COVID, I wonder if the EC (many in the high risk category) will even travel to the site.

So you’re going to have a national fun fly, at a site in the middle of the country that requires travel by a large number of people, and all of your senior leadership may not even be there?

I think they’ll switch to remote and then attendance at the fun fly will be very underwhelming. That said, the EC, ED, President, and EVP still need to answer for the performance of the organization under “their watch.” They can’t say they’re not aware of the questions. They can answer them or ignore them. The former would be a welcome change. The latter would be a signal that things are really bad....
Old 07-13-2020, 01:53 AM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
Interesting, as I didn’t remember until now that they’d planned this meeting in conjunction with a fun fly - a large public gathering of people. With the latter at risk to due recent surges in COVID, I wonder if the EC (many in the high risk category) will even travel to the site.

So you’re going to have a national fun fly, at a site in the middle of the country that requires travel by a large number of people, and all of your senior leadership may not even be there?

I think they’ll switch to remote and then attendance at the fun fly will be very underwhelming. That said, the EC, ED, President, and EVP still need to answer for the performance of the organization under “their watch.” They can’t say they’re not aware of the questions. They can answer them or ignore them. The former would be a welcome change. The latter would be a signal that things are really bad....
When AMA does the 'National Fun Fly', it is where all the AMA clubs nationwide are encouraged to hold/host a fun-fly at their home fields. It is not people traveling to Muncie just for a fun fly. Nice try, though.

And actually the local flying field should be a relatively easy place to practice social distancing, and wearing a mask while flying shouldn't be an impediment.

R_Strowe
Old 07-13-2020, 02:23 AM
fliers1

https://www.modelaircraft.org/funfly
Old 07-13-2020, 03:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Strowe View Post
When AMA does the 'National Fun Fly', it is where all the AMA clubs nationwide are encouraged to hold/host a fun-fly at their home fields. It is not people traveling to Muncie just for a fun fly. Nice try, though.

And actually the local flying field should be a relatively easy place to practice social distancing, and wearing a mask while flying shouldn't be an impediment.

R_Strowe
That's National Model Aviation Day

The National Fun Fly is an in-person event at HQ

The pre-registrations are within state guide lines and yes, some members of the EC will be attending virtually, mostly those that don't have to fly will attend in person
Old 07-13-2020, 11:50 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by R_Strowe View Post

R_Strowe
Uhmmmm.... not the "local field."

It's billed as "Academy of Model Aeronautics Fun Fly and Membership meeting", held at the AMA's "International Aeromodelling Center" and says there will be an Academy of Model Aeronautics "annual membership meeting."

Let's see. Last time I checked, the Academy of Model Aeronautics was the NATIONAL organization. And the event uses the "Academy of Model Aeronautics" in the title of the event. And the event itself is held at the flying site OWNED by the NATIONAL organization. And it includes an annual membership meeting of the NATIONAL organization. That sure meets the plain language test for using the word "NATIONAL" to refer to it.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:02 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
The pre-registrations are within state guide lines and yes, some members of the EC will be attending virtually, mostly those that don't have to fly will attend in person
Thank you. As an EC member, you are a direct representative of the AMA. By commenting, we can now confirm that you not only found this thread, but are aware of the questions herein. Thus AMA is aware of them. Now it will be REALLY interesting which questions AMA chooses NOT to answer.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:20 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since your questions are posed in your typical aggressive, accusery tone that continually insinuates and most times directly accuses anyone involved with the AMA as being incompetent even acting with possible criminal intent I think it fair to agree with you in that you will be ignored. Rightly so as its become patently obvious there will be no pleasing you regardless of the answer given. Better to serve the majority than get bogged down with a half dozen or so who have some axe to grind because of some perceived personal slight.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:46 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
Since your questions are posed in your typical aggressive, accusery tone that continually insinuates and most times directly accuses anyone involved with the AMA as being incompetent even acting with possible criminal intent I think it fair to agree with you in that you will be ignored. Rightly so as its become patently obvious there will be no pleasing you regardless of the answer given. Better to serve the majority than get bogged down with a half dozen or so who have some axe to grind because of some perceived personal slight.
People that hide behind the tone of a question as justification for not answering are merely proving my point about weak leadership. By contrast, people that have the fortitude and integrity to stand up and be accountable for their decisions (good or bad) will answer the questions regardless of tone.

However, I do find it interesting that you consider direct questions based on hard data as "aggressive, accusery (sic)". If that type of question upsets their delicate sensitivities, then don't answer them. For regardless, the trends are the trends regardless of the tone. And since they're in charge, they're still responsible for the trends. So the "tone" of the question is almost irrelevant. It's all about financial results under "their watch," and they're awful.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've tried to say out of this thread but, in your case. I'll make an exception. Let me ask you a very blunt question:
What do you have to do with the AMA meeting, being a MAAC member? Since you're not any more of an AMA member than I am, your post means nothing in this thread so, to keep things on the up and up, STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD!!!
Old 07-13-2020, 04:06 PM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
That's National Model Aviation Day

The National Fun Fly is an in-person event at HQ

I stand corrected.

R_Strowe
Old 07-13-2020, 04:47 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

LOL. Accusery tone.....
I don't know (or care) how you do it in Canada, but the AMA is a registered non-profit and is legally bound to transparency no matter how accusatory a question may be. I can just see them telling the IRS, "We don't like your tone, we're not going to answer that question...NEXT". LOL

Not only are they legally bound to transparency, they have a moral obligation to the membership to answer questions posed. That $$ is OUR money, not THEIRS. They are there because we put them there to do OUR bidding, they are NOT the exalted few who are there to do as they please.

Astro
Old 07-13-2020, 05:02 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
I've tried to say out of this thread but, in your case. I'll make an exception. Let me ask you a very blunt question:
What do you have to do with the AMA meeting, being a MAAC member? Since you're not any more of an AMA member than I am, your post means nothing in this thread so, to keep things on the up and up, STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD!!!
LOL you are certainly acting like the south end of the horse heading north.

Last edited by Propworn; 07-13-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:31 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
LOL. Accusery tone.....

That $$ is OUR money, not THEIRS. They are there because we put them there to do OUR bidding, they are NOT the exalted few who are there to do as they please.

Astro
Wow no wonder the kids are so wrapped up in their entitlement. Its not your money once you pay to belong, The money is spent according to wishes of the majority, you personally don't have any say in the mater except for a single vote which you spent when you voted for a district rep. You did vote did you not? Same as belonging to your local club. You pay your dues the members vote on a budget, majority carries and your opinion doesn't count for much more than a single vote. No one is there to do your bidding, how asinine. They are there representing the majority of the members in their district. Individuals and their personal agendas are not much of a priority. Become a pest ignoring you is easy in fact please go vote for someone else and bother him for a change. Only your district rep needs to communicate with you. The others you didn't vote for and you cannot vote for them why should they concern themselves with what you want.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

LOL you are certainly acting like the south end of the horse heading north.
I'd rather be that than be like you, a mule that thinks it knows all.
Do us a favor, stay within your own organization
Old 07-13-2020, 06:35 PM
astrohog

The others you didn't vote for and you cannot vote for them why should they concern themselves with what you want.
Because it is the right thing to do.
The AMA is an organization BY the members, FOR the members. Any representative of the AMA that is supported by membership dollars should do their best to listen to any and all voices from the membership, rather than deciding if the tone of a question suits them or not.
Talk about entitlement, your definition is all bass-ackwards.

Astro
Old 07-13-2020, 07:57 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
Because it is the right thing to do.
The AMA is an organization BY the members, FOR the members. Any representative of the AMA that is supported by membership dollars should do their best to listen to any and all voices from the membership, rather than deciding if the tone of a question suits them or not.
Talk about entitlement, your definition is all bass-ackwards.

Astro
Astro that's not the way its designed to work. Nothing would get done if each executive member had to consider and account to every member across the country. Just like your government the AMA has divided the US into districts and each district has a representative that the members of that district elect to represent their interests at meetings. I don't believe any rep from another district is going to interfere, attempt to manage, give advice or take on tasks at the request from members of another district. After all they have their own rep they should be petitioning to represent their interests and concerns.

Each rep has a full plate just addressing the needs of the members of his district attempting to solve issues from members of other districts would take away from his primary responsibility to the membership that elected him to office and would be counter productive to doing the job he was elected for.

You can rant all you want, petition all you like you will be told to take it up with your rep.

As far as the questions that Franky has posed I doubt they will see the light of day. If they will not give him the time of day at any other time I don't see them giving him time on a question and answer period.

I guess we will see how it turns out it should be interesting.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:52 PM
astrohog

Prop, can you give me one good reason why the EC should not answer any of the questions posed?

It's almost as if they might expose their inadequacies if they were to answer them.

Do you think that Franklin's questions are improper or out of line? If so, why?

I mean, Franklin COULD ask his local AMA rep, (who wouldn't have the answers), who would then be obligated to pose the question to the EC, who would, in turn, be obligated to give an answer, why not just answer the questions on the streamed MEMBERSHIP MEETING? Isn't that a proper venue for members to voice opinions and answer questions? If not, what IS the proper venue?

Astro
Old 07-14-2020, 03:13 PM
franklin_m

Another financial question for the board:

"Per AMA's 2018 IRS990 filing, the organization sold 31.9% of it's investment portfolio. Is AMA unable to meet expenses without selling assets?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.