Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Returning after 6yrs - What do I have to do?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Returning after 6yrs - What do I have to do?

Old 11-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Returning after 6yrs - What do I have to do?

I'm returning to the hobby after a 6yrs break (divorce.. sold everything in 2014)

What are the rules now? I'll pay for my AMA membership in Jan 2021. I'll be flying at a sanctioned field only. Mostly gasoline powered and 10lbs---12lbs minimum weight. Do I need to register myself or my planes with the FAA? Or both? Or nothing since it's a sanctioned flying field?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Bigshark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too! As I see it you need AMA and you need to pay $5 to the FAA and put both numbers on your planes somewhere.

You know it's not easy to find decent nimh batteries anymore and I've yet to invest in lipo chargers and spded controls and the like for my old fleet. Sounds like that won't be an issue if you are starting from scratch
Old 11-20-2020, 09:55 AM
Rcpilot

Originally Posted by Bigshark View Post
Me too! As I see it you need AMA and you need to pay $5 to the FAA and put both numbers on your planes somewhere.

You know it's not easy to find decent nimh batteries anymore and I've yet to invest in lipo chargers and spded controls and the like for my old fleet. Sounds like that won't be an issue if you are starting from scratch
Well AMA cost and 5 bucks for the FAA doesn't sound horrible.

When I say that I sold it all in 2014 .... I sold it ALLLLL. I had to buy everything all over in 2020. Sanding blocks, exacto knives, work benches, chargers, kits, glue..... everything.

I only kept my old 72mhz JR8103 TX as a momento. It sits on a shelf where I can see it and remember the good times I had with it.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:28 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Current regulations are that you must register with the FAA. Unless a commercial venture, register as recreational. This means you only need to register yourself and not each model. You will immediately be given an FAA number that needs to be displayed in a legible manner on each airplane. The site will also have you agree to some safety guidelines including not flying over 400'. Some sites have agreements with FAA to exceed 400' so you will need to check with the particular club that you intend to fly with ( provided you want to join a club ).

All AMA sanctioned clubs will require AMA membership to fly at the club site ( nothing new there ) AMA membership is not required to satisfy the FAA requirement of operating within the " programming " of a community based organization. By definition the AMA is the only CBO in the US although the FAA has not officially recognized the AMA as such . All the AMA safety guidelines you recall from several years ago are still in place. AMA insurance is till secondary if you have homeowners/renters insurance that covers modeling activity. You need not be at an AMA sanctioned club site to be covered.

Some guys still use 72mhz radios, not all clubs allow them. If you choose to buy a new 2.4ghz setup, check with your club to see what is popular within your club. Programming help is always nice to have. Of the current name brands ( Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Jeti and Graupner ) it comes to personal preference. None are any more or less reliable then the other.

Electric and gas power are at this point more popular then glow. I personally use what I deem most appropriate for the particular airplane. I still have a few glow models that I fly once in a while. Finding fuel can be an issue depending on your location.

Welcome back!
Old 11-20-2020, 07:52 PM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by Rcpilot View Post
Well AMA cost and 5 bucks for the FAA doesn't sound horrible.

When I say that I sold it all in 2014 .... I sold it ALLLLL. I had to buy everything all over in 2020. Sanding blocks, exacto knives, work benches, chargers, kits, glue..... everything.

I only kept my old 72mhz JR8103 TX as a momento. It sits on a shelf where I can see it and remember the good times I had with it.
That JR XP8103 is still a perfectly good radio, by the way (I still have one I fly). Check Horizon Hobby for a Spektrum 2.4ghz RF module for it, works fine.

R_Strowe
Old 11-20-2020, 08:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Strowe View Post
That JR XP8103 is still a perfectly good radio, by the way (I still have one I fly). Check Horizon Hobby for a Spektrum 2.4ghz RF module for it, works fine.

R_Strowe
It may have to be an aftermarket module since JR APPEARS to have gone out of business due to the failure of the manufacturing plant to maintain the quality that JR required. The name has, unfortunately, been picked up by Dee Force Aviation so you may or may not get quality. I did find an FrSky module that is supposed to work, on Amazon, the link posted below. The only drawback is you also have to use a FrSky receiver.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-20-2020, 09:05 PM
Rcpilot

Thanks for the info on the FAA. My question was about the FAA and I appreciate the information.

Don't need help with radio gear. I only mentioned the JR8103 because it's the only thing I kept during the divorce. I'm never going to fly with it again. It's a conversation piece now ... a momento.

Last edited by Rcpilot; 11-20-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:00 AM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
It may have to be an aftermarket module since JR APPEARS to have gone out of business due to the failure of the manufacturing plant to maintain the quality that JR required. The name has, unfortunately, been picked up by Dee Force Aviation so you may or may not get quality. I did find an FrSky module that is supposed to work, on Amazon, the link posted below. The only drawback is you also have to use a FrSky receiver.
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...k_ql_ql_al_hza
I wasn't aware that JR also made a module. I was thinking of the Spektrum unit.

It's a shame about JR; I always felt their stuff was just a little bit higher quality over the typical stuff of the day.

Thanks for the info on the FAA. My question was about the FAA and I appreciate the information.

Don't need help with radio gear. I only mentioned the JR8103 because it's the only thing I kept during the divorce. I'm never going to fly with it again. It's a conversation piece now ... a momento.
Too bad, it's really a very good (albeit older) radio. Of course the new Spektrum/Futaba/FRSky stuff is also very good as well.

Best of luck, and welcome back to the hobby! I know many who have gone down your road, the hobby is almost like therapy for them.

R_Strowe

Last edited by R_Strowe; 11-21-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:04 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm returning to the hobby after a 6yrs break (divorce.. sold everything in 2014)

What are the rules now? I'll pay for my AMA membership in Jan 2021. I'll be flying at a sanctioned field only. Mostly gasoline powered and 10lbs---12lbs minimum weight. Do I need to register myself or my planes with the FAA? Or both? Or nothing since it's a sanctioned flying field?

Thanks
Why Jan 2021? If you're worried about getting your full year worth, renewals now occur on your anniversary date so if you join in November you renew next year in November
Old 11-21-2020, 06:38 AM
speedracerntrixie

JR is alive and well. They were bought out by Dee Force Aviation and are not only continuing production but developing new products.

https://www.deeforce.net/
Old 11-21-2020, 07:48 AM
Rcpilot

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Why Jan 2021? If you're worried about getting your full year worth, renewals now occur on your anniversary date so if you join in November you renew next year in November
Because I have nothing to fly ...... yet. I'm scratch building a 125% Kadet Senior. It had to be big enough for a gasoline engine. Shooting for a completion date in January 2021. Then I'll renew my AMA and pay for the club membership.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Rcpilot

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
JR is alive and well. They were bought out by Dee Force Aviation and are not only continuing production but developing new products.

https://www.deeforce.net/

This is an AMA discussion. I would appreciappreciate it, if we could stick to AMA and FAA discussions.

To clarify, and this is the only comment I'm going to make about my radio......
I tried Spektrum years ago, before the divorce. (2009---2012??) I tried a 2.4ghz module for my JR8103. I also bought a DX9 back in the day. I switched to Futaba 2.4ghz and bought an 8FGA system in 2012. That got sold in the divorce.

I now have a Futaba 16SZA and have ZERO interest in ever using my old JR8103 or any Spektrum products.

Just leave it alone guys and stick to AMA and FAA discussion please. This is an AMA forum and I asked an AMA (FAA) question. Thank you for the help on the new regulations.

Last edited by Rcpilot; 11-21-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks cool, welcome back!
Old 11-21-2020, 08:23 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is an AMA discussion. I would appreciate it, if we could stick to AMA and FAA discussions.
So would the rest of us. You'll just have to learn to deal with Speedy, he is very eager to share his "knowledge", whether it is solicited or not.

Welcome back to the hobby!

Astro
Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll delete this post since it apparently is too far off topic despite being a response to an earlier post.

Last edited by FUTABA-RC; 11-21-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:31 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might want to consider doing the FAA registration now. It is only $5.

The reason I suggest this is that a provision of the Remote ID rules that are coming is that individual registration for each and every model will be required for any new registrations after the RID rule goes into effect.

Registrations done before the rule is in effect have a 36-month grace period to comply with the individual requirement.

This provision was in the proposed rule and there is no indication it will not be in the final rule, which is apparently going to be done by the end of next month. So hedge your bets and do the FAA registration now.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:08 AM
speedracerntrixie

Fair enough, my apologies to the OP

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 11-21-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:30 AM
Rcpilot

I just reported my own thread and asked it to be locked.

Reporting posts that took this off topic as well.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!! .... with allllllll the sarcasm I can muster up on a Saturday morning. Now I remember why I quit using forums. Way to screw up and derail a legitimate question/discussion about rules and returning to the hobby. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with radios and you guys took it there anyway.

May a weird camel spit on your sisters.

Last edited by Rcpilot; 11-21-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:18 AM
Rcpilot

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC View Post
I'll delete this post since it apparently is too far off topic despite being a response to an earlier post.
Well there's one of ya with a redeeming quality.

How about the rest of you?
Old 11-21-2020, 10:43 AM
astrohog

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
My post about JR still alive and well was in response to Hydro's statement about JR appearing to be gone.

UMMM..Your post below is the one that took the OP's post into left field, and was posted before Hydro had posted.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Some guys still use 72mhz radios, not all clubs allow them. If you choose to buy a new 2.4ghz setup, check with your club to see what is popular within your club. Programming help is always nice to have. Of the current name brands ( Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Jeti and Graupner ) it comes to personal preference. None are any more or less reliable then the other.

Electric and gas power are at this point more popular then glow. I personally use what I deem most appropriate for the particular airplane. I still have a few glow models that I fly once in a while. Finding fuel can be an issue depending on your location.
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Why is it that a certain group when making false statements
False statements? Better check your mirror! LOL

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-21-2020, 02:39 PM
flyboy2610

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just reported my own thread and asked it to be locked.

Reporting posts that took this off topic as well.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!! .... with allllllll the sarcasm I can muster up on a Saturday morning. Now I remember why I quit using forums. Way to screw up and derail a legitimate question/discussion about rules and returning to the hobby. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with radios and you guys took it there anyway.

May a weird camel spit on your sisters.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry I went in the wrong direction. Now with that said, I have to agree, contact your local FAA office and get registered now. As already posted, it will grandfather you in and, since you will need the FAA number anyway, it will let you determine how you want to do so before/during your covering. You might also want to check into the part 107 requirements as it may be another option for you. BTW, build looks really good
Old 11-21-2020, 03:11 PM
init4fun

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post

Thank You flyboy2610 , you read my mind !!!!!
Old 11-21-2020, 03:35 PM
Rcpilot

Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Thank You flyboy2610 , you read my mind !!!!!
Just reported both of you idiots for instigating. Neither of your posts were necessary. You're both trolling.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:45 PM
init4fun

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just reported both of you idiots for instigating. Neither of your posts were necessary. You're both trolling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.