Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA's Demographic Problem

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA's Demographic Problem

Old 06-10-2021, 01:43 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Well, you're in an district, you have a person that represents your interests, feel free to reach out.

If you don't feel they are doing the job then run for office or find a candidate that will/can run that is more inline with your views, its a lot like the elections we have in the nation/states/counties/cites every year.
you think my interests differ from those in your district?
Are you too busy to bring up the concerns posted in this thread?
you don’t feel responsible to bring up the very real concerns in this thread?
As an elected representative to the AMA, your responses here are, quite frankly, childish and speak volumes to the, “Good Ole Boy Club” that has been mentioned many times in this forum.

Instead of pushing back, what is your reason for not simply raising these issues to the EC and letting us know how they respond?

Astro
Old 06-10-2021, 03:30 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you're in an district, you have a person that represents your interests, feel free to reach out.
In advance of the last EC meeting, I asked for a copy of what would be voted upon - the various proposals, etc. This is so that I, as a member, could voice my feelings in favor or against each proposal. After all, isn't that how his "represent[ation] of [my] interests" is supposed to work? But alas, I got nothing, and this "representative" voted w/o even telling me what he'd be voting upon. AMA transparency at its finest!

If you don't feel they are doing the job then run for office or find a candidate that will/can run that is more inline with your views, its a lot like the elections we have in the nation/states/counties/cites every year.
Why? When any candidate that runs against Hanson cabal, Hanson (and others) use columns in the official magazine to denounce the opponent. They should change the name to Pravda!

Last edited by franklin_m; 06-11-2021 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:42 PM
franklin_m

But when you rise to the level that you know whats better for the organization than everyone else involved, the office staff, the board, the treasurer, you really have reached the pinnacle of where you should be involved. It's not hard at all to run for office.
Well, let's examine the work of those who've "reached the pinnacle of where you should be involved..."

Using IRS990 date and constant year inflation adjusted 2019 dollars, across the years 2016 - 2019:
- Total Assets: DOWN 17%
- Net Assets: DOWN 24%
- Member Dues: DOWN 23%
- Total Revenue: DOWN 18%
- Magazine Revenue: DOWN 41%
- Profit/Loss across the period '16-'19: LOSS 3,172,676
- Salaries: UP 0.49%

Using IRS990 date and constant year inflation adjusted 2019 dollars, across the years 2004 - 2019:
- Total Assets: DOWN 48%
- Net Assets: DOWN 45%
- Member Dues: DOWN 38%
- Total Revenue: DOWN 33%
- Magazine Revenue: DOWN 52%
- Profit/Loss across the period '04-'19: LOSS $4,698,384
- Salaries: UP 9%

One more interesting fact about AMA. Over the period 2004 -2019, Executive Compensation is UP 147% !!!

I humbly submit that many of those individuals in those seats at "the pinnacle of where you should be involved" ... are really the problem. At least based on the performance above.

Last edited by franklin_m; 06-11-2021 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Fix line spacing and a couple readability edits
Old 06-11-2021, 08:26 AM
astrohog

It's funny how it always goes silent when direct questions are asked.....

Happens every time!

Astro
Old 06-11-2021, 12:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
It's funny how it always goes silent when direct questions are asked.....

Happens every time!

Astro
But who's question? Three or four of us asked direct questions
Old 06-11-2021, 02:32 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
But who's question? Three or four of us asked direct questions
That's what I meant. They never answer any direct questions, regardless of the source.

Astro
Old 06-11-2021, 03:24 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the original topic ...

I absolutely agree that the AMA as an organization is in the process of aging itself out of existence. That has been the main thesis of several of my posts here. Please note that I do understand that there is a personal side to this too and mean no disrespect to those who have had their "final flight" (nor do I mean to trample on the feelings of their families and friends). Nonetheless, it is a simple fact that existing members are aging out faster than new members are joining.

Another simple fact is that the AMA has done very little to engage with a younger audience to combat this trend. As a simple barometer of this, compare the YouTube footprint of the AMA (35.4k followers) with that of Flite Test (1.92M followers). As a measure of the AMA's actions to appeal to a younger audience, this is a gross oversimplification. However, as a valid data point of this measure, the contrast is beyond stunning.

I also firmly believe that most of the AMA membership is quite happy to continue on as is. As we transition into retirement, we are able to spend more time with the hobby in general, and at the club field in particular, doing what we have always done. The average AMA member does not want change, instead they want to hang on to the glory days as long as they can. I'll even confess to being at least a little bit guilty of this myself.

So the AMA will fade out of relevance, but the hobby is likely to continue. It will look a lot more like what you see at Flite Test, less formal, less structured, more about in the moment fun. But I also suspect it will be more creative, more diverse, and maybe even a bit more innovative with much lower barriers to entry (and exit).

Final thought: We all know that "the only constant in life is change". The world is changing, demographics are changing, the RC hobby is changing. The AMA is resisting that change (and truthfully, I think it is incapable of changing), as a result it too is headed for its own final flight.

Last edited by aymodeler; 06-11-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:48 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

if ya search back through the past post in the AMA forums sections, you can find threads as old as from 2001 that mention the ageing out of the bulk of the membership and a lagging influx of new younger folk. nobody had a good answer back then either.

at least i hope we can still go back that far in the archives.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:39 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
if ya search back through the past post in the AMA forums sections, you can find threads as old as from 2001 that mention the ageing out of the bulk of the membership and a lagging influx of new younger folk. nobody had a good answer back then either.

You got me thinking ... I first mentioned the AMA's demographic problem back in 2007. Post #40:
AMA, time to end membership discounts?
And AMA's ignored us all. Since then those "pretty smart" folks leading AMA have produced the "results" above!
Old 06-12-2021, 04:37 AM
aymodeler

Originally Posted by mongo View Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
You got me thinking ... I first mentioned the AMA's demographic problem back in 2007. Post #40:
AMA, time to end membership discounts?
And AMA's ignored us all. Since then those "pretty smart" folks leading AMA have produced the "results" above!
No real surprise here. The RC hobby, along with the entire hobby and leisure industry, grew rapidly ln the '70s and '80s when us Baby Boomers started plunking down our disposable income. AMA membership also rapidly grew because Baby Boomers were joining in at far greater rate than existing members were aging out. But by the turn of the century, there were no more new Baby Boomers to join in and the failure of the AMA to attract Gen Xers and Millennials in big numbers turned the tide. While the Baby Boomer AMA population probably remained fairly consistent (until recently), there was no new blood to offset older existing members continuing to age out. Now that trend is drastically accelerating as the Baby Boomers themselves are aging out.

To be fair, trends like this are playing out across all sectors of the economy. Millennials are taking over as the dominant economic demographic (except maybe in healthcare) and the AMA has failed to connect with millennials.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:56 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by aymodeler View Post
Millennials are taking over as the dominant economic demographic (except maybe in healthcare) and the AMA has failed to connect with millennials.
Your last line prompted a thought. I think there is no better indicator of AMA's failed connection with millennials than the AMA Beta. Thirty bucks for a rubber band powered uncontrolled plane? What? The EC spent God only knows how much money developing this Edsel. Why? Because it's what THEY played with as kids. Sixty years ago in many cases. But it's not what kids today play with. As I've often repeated, the EC's basic premise is that everyone everyone eats lives and breathes model aviation like they do. Unfortunately, that's not the case. And time and time again they fail to realize it. Especially in the case of millennials.

Meanwhile, over on Amazon if you search "RTF RC plane", and then look 25-40 bucks, there's lots of options for something with a lot more capability for just a little more money. And if you search MRs, there's LOTS of options.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:01 PM
aymodeler

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
As I've often repeated, the EC's basic premise is that everyone everyone eats lives and breathes model aviation like they do.
The thing is though, it's not just the EC, this is the prevalent attitude of just about all of the AMA membership. The EC is just a reflection of that. If I am honest, I somewhat fall into that camp myself. I am quite happy to fly my traditional RC in a traditional manner at a traditional club field. Like I have said before, I am getting what I want/need out of the AMA today. That doesn't mean I don't see the handwriting on the wall though.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:20 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by aymodeler View Post
The thing is though, it's not just the EC, this is the prevalent attitude of just about all of the AMA membership. The EC is just a reflection of that. If I am honest, I somewhat fall into that camp myself. I am quite happy to fly my traditional RC in a traditional manner at a traditional club field. Like I have said before, I am getting what I want/need out of the AMA today. That doesn't mean I don't see the handwriting on the wall though.
I think the difference for me is that while some members feel that way, not all do. But that's almost irrelevant anyway, because it's the not the membership who's charged with setting strategy for the future. The EC is charged with setting organizational strategy and they can ill afford let their personal emotions about years gone by and the way it used to be in the 1960's to guide decisions in the 2020's.

For once, I'd like to see the EC acknowledge the financial trends over the last five to ten years, and admit that their strategies have done nothing to change that. Over this same time, FliteTest was able to connect with youth, but AMA couldn't in numbers anything close. So the market is there, AMA has done an awful job of capturing it. And the reason is, I think their inability to change THEIR thinking.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:59 AM
fliers1

Who in the AMA is really in charge, the ED or EC?
Old 06-14-2021, 03:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

The EC makes policy, the ED is tasked with implementing it.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:26 AM
fliers1

Could the EC fire the ED? Just curious. Obviously, I have no idea how the system works.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, the EC hires and can, if needed fire or not renew the contract of the ED

The ED is responsible to oversee the staff and day to day operations.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:35 AM
fliers1

Yes, the EC hires and can, if needed fire or not renew the contract of the ED

The ED is responsible to oversee the staff and day to day operations.
Thanks for the info
Old 06-15-2021, 02:16 AM
franklin_m

So who's accountable for the continued downward financial performance over the last decades (see above)?

Is it bad policy (i.e. EC's job)?
Or bad implementation (i.e. ED's job)?