Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Will EC member EVER acknowledge the financial trends?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Will EC member EVER acknowledge the financial trends?

Old 09-19-2021, 03:36 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aymodeler View Post
I am a member of 3 clubs and all are able to support themselves financially. The biggest problems clubs are having (at least here in the Northeast) is the dwindling supply of open area to operate in. Many clubs are losing their fields which they had leased from local farmers or landowners because there are now much more profitable uses for the land. The other problem is increasing governmental regulations on the public lands. One of the clubs I belong to is losing its field (which it leases from the town) because it turns out to be the nesting ground of some endangered critter. The state EPA says we can lease the land, but we can't mow the grass on the runway anymore!
That is my point. If the AMA leadership is banking on the local clubs to attract members, you would think that it would be spending the majority of its $$ not on salaries, museums, indoor flying facilities or funneling $$ to the "AMA Foundation", and simply giving it back to the clubs that are struggling to keep their flying facilities. I mean, it doesn't take a freaking rocket surgeon to understand that with every flying site lost, a certain percentage of the hobby dies, never to return.

Astro
Old 09-20-2021, 07:00 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
That is my point. If the AMA leadership is banking on the local clubs to attract members, you would think that it would be spending the majority of its $$ not on salaries, museums, indoor flying facilities or funneling $$ to the "AMA Foundation", and simply giving it back to the clubs that are struggling to keep their flying facilities. I mean, it doesn't take a freaking rocket surgeon to understand that with every flying site lost, a certain percentage of the hobby dies, never to return.
But that would mean ending the "Muncie Welfare Program" that is the HQ payroll. An example? It's been 50 days and STILL no EC minutes from the 1 August EC meeting, despite the fact that ED, assistant ED, and at least one staffer are PAID to ensure they get prepared, "proofed," and posted promptly.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:32 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aymodeler View Post
If they are serious about it, then they need to make the AMA look a lot more like FliteTest and draw in a younger crowd that has a completely different outlook about the hobby. But as I have said elsewhere, that kind of irreverent, casual and carefree approach to the hobby is totally anathema to the stodgy old baby boomers (like myself) that make up the current membership. We can talk all day about the EC and the magazine and all other would've-could've-should'ves, but at the end of the day, the membership is getting exactly the kind of organization it wants and until that membership finishes aging out, nothing fundamental will change.
Very much agreed. I am part of the Instructor Program and one of my club's 5 official trainers. It feels hollow and disingenuous when I tell a new pilot after they've done super super well on the buddybox that they have to sent 75 bucks to Indiana every year just to play with their RC airplanes knowing full well that's 75 bucks flushed down the toilet. I hate having to say these words, but I have no choice; I tell them 'It's the rules we have to have an AMA card to fly here'.

I hate it. And I have a pretty foul opinion of the AMA in general. If I could fly off my own land or off my neighbor's land without putting my plane in a tree or a power line I wouldn't bother flying at clubs anymore except to teach student pilots. I'd drop the AMA like a bad habit if I had the ability. And I fly nothing but balsa fuel stuff; it's no surprise to me the newbies flying lightweight foamies and flite test planes just do it in their own back yards or schoolyards or whatever and don't bother with clubs and AMA.

The AMA's performance during the whole RID debacle was abysmal as well. Their true colors shined quite clearly the whole time; Josh Bixler did more for us...all of us you me the thread starter all of us...in ONE MEETING than the AMA has done in the past three years! They just sorta grinned and rubbed their hands together at the thought of FAA rulemaking FORCING AMA membership just to fly anything at all. Salivating at it really.

I really really love this hobby. I'm passionate about it, I enjoy it, doesn't matter what else is going on when I'm at the field flying something I'm all grins and laughs. I'm more than willing to dedicate my time and risk one of my airplanes to train new pilots totally for free, no questions asked no investment needed, until they can solo on a basic 4ch glow trainer. But I am sick and tired of the AMA being utterly worthless.

As for what I'd change about the AMA...firstly I'd give them a set of balls, make them stand up to the FAA, to Amazon, tell them where they can shove their draconian RID policies and TRUST Test. After that, I'd make their dues a little more reasonable in value; maybe not change the dollar value but make it where the dollars that go there actually feel like they were well spent. I'd drop the pointless magazine like a bad habit(Or maybe make it an optional extra that old guard members can opt into if they wish so long as they pay for it), I'd encourage new members to fly whatever they enjoy flying(As I do when instructing them on the buddy box; I may teach them to fly on an RCM Trainer 60 powered by a K&B 61 but I stress that the correct plane for them to fly is the one that puts the biggest grin on their face even if that means they never touch a fuel plane for the rest of their lives), extend coverage to non-club sites so long as the models are operated safely, and...well, actually cover mishaps. And don't forget improving communication. I think with these changes the AMA might actually be worth 75 bucks a month.

Last edited by 378; 09-25-2021 at 04:36 PM.