Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Visiting and Flying in Canada

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Visiting and Flying in Canada

Old 08-07-2021, 02:51 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
I got briefed on this last weekend.

Before anyone starts any bashing of the AMA or even MAAC, this was caused directly by Transport Canada (their FAA) new rules
Curious. You'll comment on this, but yet you are silent on a major issue ... the AMA's continued financial decline:
Will EC member EVER acknowledge the financial trends?
Old 08-07-2021, 03:51 AM
fliers1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
Curious. You'll comment on this, but yet you are silent on a major issue ... the AMA's continued financial decline:
Will EC member EVER acknowledge the financial trends?
The good news, things are picking up.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:49 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
The good news, things are picking up.
Yeah, I watched that. The CFO's "Money in vs. money out" comment made me laugh. Talk about a "master of the obvious" type statement! Money in vs. money out? No kidding. Duh.

On a more serious note, there were ample comments about things picking up, but I noted that they were all compared to last year's numbers (dismal) rather than pre-pandemic numbers. My point being that as compared to last year the numbers darned well should be better. Anything else would be catastrophic financially. I also noted they they went out of their way to hype good news. Nearly every speaker. Struck me as almost a little too much - reeks of "spin." But time will tell. Ultimately, the IRS filings tell a much more complete story.

I'll also note whether AMA will provide a line by line status update on their 2018 strategy document (note 1)? The one that said a top objective (#1 in fact) was to increase membership by 15% by Dec 2021. While it is a typical AMA document, which means it's rather devoid of hard objective goals that can actually be measured, there are a few. But my prediction is they won't do a status report ....

• "GOAL: IDENTIFY AND SECURE NEW AMA MEMBERS AND PARTNERSHIPS. - OBJECTIVE 1: INCREASE AMA MEMBERSHIP BY 15% BY DECEMBER 2021 [emphasis added]"
  • "GOAL: INCREASE MODEL AVIATION EVENTS AND PARTICIPATION THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY. - OBJECTIVE 1: INCREASE SANCTIONED AND NON-SANCTIONED EVENTS HOSTED THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY [emphasis added]"
  • "GOAL: IDENTIFY AND DEVELOP WAYS TO ENGAGE DIFFERENT DEMOGRAPHICS. - OBJECTIVE 2: INCREASE THE RATE OF YOUTH MEMBERS BECOMING ADULT MEMBERS [emphasis added]"

I can't see how these will be up as compared to 2018 numbers, which means AMA will not provide a status update.

Note 1: SLRP_2018_FINAL_WEB.pdf
Old 08-07-2021, 05:34 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Strowe View Post
Obsess much?

And my grasp of this, and any other concept you wish to put forth, is just fine. Hell, my kid grasps those concepts just fine. Maybe you should just climb down from that big 'ol pedestal, and see that just because the truth doesn't fit your narrative doesn't make it untrue.

R_Strowe
LOL. Keep on spinning, Strowe!
Old 08-07-2021, 01:39 PM
fliers1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
Yeah, I watched that. The CFO's "Money in vs. money out" comment made me laugh. Talk about a "master of the obvious" type statement! Money in vs. money out? No kidding. Duh.

On a more serious note, there were ample comments about things picking up, but I noted that they were all compared to last year's numbers (dismal) rather than pre-pandemic numbers. My point being that as compared to last year the numbers darned well should be better. Anything else would be catastrophic financially. I also noted they they went out of their way to hype good news. Nearly every speaker. Struck me as almost a little too much - reeks of "spin." But time will tell. Ultimately, the IRS filings tell a much more complete story.

I'll also note whether AMA will provide a line by line status update on their 2018 strategy document (note 1)? The one that said a top objective (#1 in fact) was to increase membership by 15% by Dec 2021. While it is a typical AMA document, which means it's rather devoid of hard objective goals that can actually be measured, there are a few. But my prediction is they won't do a status report ....
  • "GOAL: IDENTIFY AND SECURE NEW AMA MEMBERS AND PARTNERSHIPS. - OBJECTIVE 1: INCREASE AMA MEMBERSHIP BY 15% BY DECEMBER 2021 [emphasis added]"
  • "GOAL: INCREASE MODEL AVIATION EVENTS AND PARTICIPATION THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY. - OBJECTIVE 1: INCREASE SANCTIONED AND NON-SANCTIONED EVENTS HOSTED THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY [emphasis added]"
  • "GOAL: IDENTIFY AND DEVELOP WAYS TO ENGAGE DIFFERENT DEMOGRAPHICS. - OBJECTIVE 2: INCREASE THE RATE OF YOUTH MEMBERS BECOMING ADULT MEMBERS [emphasis added]"

I can't see how these will be up as compared to 2018 numbers, which means AMA will not provide a status update.

Note 1: Attachment 2270580
I would like to hear just how they're going to do all of those things.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:51 AM
ElectriMan

BTW, MAAC has changed it's policy/rules regarding flyers from outside Canada.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:19 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

just glad to see that visiting flyers will be having to join with the national org in whichever country they visit. no more freeloading.