Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Visiting and Flying in Canada

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Visiting and Flying in Canada

Old 08-04-2021, 03:43 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Visiting and Flying in Canada

Just a heads up when the border finally opens and those of you who fly/attend events in Canada MAAC has changed it's policy/rules regarding flyers from outside Canada. First you must be a member in good standing of your home organization then you must purchase a MAAC membership as well. They will be offering a temperary as well as a full year option. The old reciprocal agreement is no longer acceptable in Canada.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

I got briefed on this last weekend.

Before anyone starts any bashing of the AMA or even MAAC, this was caused directly by Transport Canada (their FAA) new rules
Old 08-04-2021, 06:16 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post

Before anyone starts any bashing of the AMA or even MAAC, this was caused directly by Transport Canada (their FAA) new rules
It's not anyones fault its not as simple as it once was where the USA and Canada enjoyed using the reciprocal agreement when we flew in each others airspace. This agreement was exclusive between the USA and Canada and does not exist anywhere else. The part where you must be a member of your home organization before you can apply for MAAC membership eliminates any chance of poaching and retains the integrity of the home country membership. I asked if the same would apply for pilots from other countries but I haven't received an answer yet. I know in the past traveling outside North America it was a hassle at times trying to fly legally. It would be nice if this became standard so all you needed to do was join the country of entry to legally fly anywhere in the world.

Also be aware there might be a delay between signing up and when you can fly so please contact MAAC directly before you go. I would sure hate to see someone make the effort to come on vacation or for an event and be told they could not participate.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:18 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

I found it interesting because, even though an AMA member might join there, they are covered by their AMA insurance when they fly in Canada, that was part of the MOU
Old 08-04-2021, 07:26 AM
Propworn

I found it interesting because, even though an AMA member might join there, they are covered by their AMA insurance when they fly in Canada, that was part of the MOU
I will have to ask for clarification on that point. I know that MAAC members have an exemption to the new Transport Canada rules this might be the driving force for becoming a MAAC member. AMA members flying in Canada have always been covered by their own insurance, AMA.

If this is the case and it only gives the US flyer the same exemption from Transport Canada rules without any further benifits it sure seems the cost is on the high side. Again I will have to ask.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:47 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact that you would pro-actively post something like this is very telling about how out of touch and blindly defensive you are with the sentiment of those who have voiced their displeasure with the AMA in this forum.

With our hobby now being regulated by the Feds, it was just a matter of time before they had to make changes to the reciprocal agreement that had been in place for many years. It is clearly an FAA and Transport Canada thing and not an AMA or MAAC thing.

Astro
Old 08-04-2021, 09:10 AM
R_Strowe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
The fact that you would pro-actively post something like this is very telling about how out of touch and blindly defensive you are with the sentiment of those who have voiced their displeasure with the AMA in this forum.

With our hobby now being regulated by the Feds, it was just a matter of time before they had to make changes to the reciprocal agreement that had been in place for many years. It is clearly an FAA and Transport Canada thing and not an AMA or MAAC thing.

Astro
You know, Astro, there is an old saying:

"If you cannot say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

Maybe some here should heed that sage bit of advice.

R_Strowe
Old 08-04-2021, 09:35 AM
Bigshark

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Astro
Yes because this forum is always so fair minded and willing to give the AMA the benefit of the doubt........
Old 08-04-2021, 10:01 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

don't be judging all, by the actions of the few...

you guys.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:13 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Bigshark View Post
Yes because this forum is always so fair minded and willing to give the AMA the benefit of the doubt........
No organization is perfect and there always will be a few who will go to great lengths to attempt to run the organization into the ground. We have our fetid few in MAAC as well. The whole idea of this thread was to make those who are interested and plan to fly in Canada aware of the changes. No hidden agenda from me and like it or not I intend to keep my opinions out of it. Our leadership has gone to great lengths to accommodate our friends from the USA should they choose to attend events or vacation in Canada.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Propworn

Yes but your AMA insurance is secondary and MAAC insurance is primary at 7.5 million. Here is the answer to some of the questions I posted to head office.

The Temporary Foreign Membership application form is for all non-Canadians, not just Americans. Under this membership an American who is not an AMA member might join for the 3-month period. If an American takes the full MAAC membership, they must show their AMA number so that we can validate current membership. In all cases MSD 25 must be adhered to. The membership includes our liability insurance coverage, but only while flying in Canada. The form allows the non-Canadian member to indicate a start date (their planned arrival in Canada probably) and the expiry date will be 90 days later. We chose the 90-day period because some come for more than a weekend and we know that some Americans hold cottage or other property here.

For your info
Dennis
Old 08-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 86 Likes on 83 Posts

As odd as this may sound, I actually commend you for starting this thread and giving everyone a heads up on the rule change.
Now, for my response to some of the things that have been said by everyone to this point:
1) I've been accused of being anti AMA when that isn't the case. When the AMA was started, it served a purpose and was a benefit to modelers. I think I can speak for many(not for all as we all know opinions vary) when I say it's the AMA management and its wasteful spending, lack of accountability and lack of transparency that I take issue with. Enough said on that subject
2) I saw it as a matter of time before TC took similar action to what the FAA has, for whatever the reason. We know the FAA had to act because of the "drone pandemic" and safety issues it caused. Why TC and MAAC took this action is on them though it would be interesting to know the reason why

We all know this is a mute point until the border reopens later this month(unless Montreal extends it further, much like what they did with the cruise ports being closed through next February) but, for those that do plan on flying in Canada, it gives them time to take the appropriate action before going.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:16 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
As odd as this may sound, I actually commend you for starting this thread and giving everyone a heads up on the rule change.
Now, for my response to some of the things that have been said by everyone to this point:
1) I've been accused of being anti AMA when that isn't the case. When the AMA was started, it served a purpose and was a benefit to modelers. I think I can speak for many(not for all as we all know opinions vary) when I say it's the AMA management and its wasteful spending, lack of accountability and lack of transparency that I take issue with. Enough said on that subject
2) I saw it as a matter of time before TC took similar action to what the FAA has, for whatever the reason. We know the FAA had to act because of the "drone pandemic" and safety issues it caused. Why TC and MAAC took this action is on them though it would be interesting to know the reason why

We all know this is a mute point until the border reopens later this month(unless Montreal extends it further, much like what they did with the cruise ports being closed through next February) but, for those that do plan on flying in Canada, it gives them time to take the appropriate action before going.
Please take your AMA crapola back to the threads you were this is a cross border flying thread so that as information becomes available those who actually would like to cross the border do so with the least amount of drama. Your asinine AMA bashing lends zero value to this topic. Do everyone a favor and get lost.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 86 Likes on 83 Posts

It's your thread.
Forget I said or gave you credit for anything
Old 08-04-2021, 04:09 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
It's your thread.
Forget I said or gave you credit for anything
Who cares I don't have time any more for your petulant whining over an organization you don't even belong to. Go away I have better things to occupy my time like getting my home made test stand ready for sale.

Stand fits most beam mount engines I have tried it with a .25 OS up to a Moki 2.10

Beam clamps are adjustable by moving the flat head screws.

YS 1.25 fits easily in the test stand.

Last edited by Propworn; 08-04-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:07 PM
mongo

who would pay a dime for that piece of carp...

probably the same idiots that would take time to even consider a trip the the great wasteland of canada, you know, fools.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:43 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
who would pay a dime for that piece of carp...

probably the same idiots that would take time to even consider a trip the the great wasteland of canada, you know, fools.
MONGO BAD no can spell carp is fish little one LOL. MONGO go back to grade school for refresher get sent to principals office for playing drop the pencil LOL.

Now back to reality and ignore the Minions who seem lost without their leader.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:24 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by R_Strowe View Post
You know, Astro, there is an old saying:

"If you cannot say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

Maybe some here should heed that sage bit of advice.

R_Strowe
There is, "nice" and there is truth. I prefer the truth.

Using your cute little, "sage advice", nobody would have ever spoken out against the Nazi's, right?

It's funny that those who are usually quick to name-call, turn my observations and post into some kind of negative, anti-AMA rant. Are you all so jaded and punch-drunk that you aren't able to see things through non-AMA-tinted glasses and have a discussion about them?

Astro

Old 08-05-2021, 05:37 AM
R_Strowe

There is, "nice" and there is truth. I prefer the truth.

Using your cute little, "sage advice", nobody would have ever spoken out against the Nazi's, right?

It's funny that those who are usually quick to name-call, turn my observations and post into some kind of negative, anti-AMA rant. Are you all so jaded and punch-drunk that you aren't able to see things through non-AMA-tinted glasses and have a discussion about them?

Astro
If this was some new argument then fine, not so much of an issue. But the same broken record, month after month, year after year, gets tiresome.

But, as an added plus, we can now discount your statement, as it is a direct violation of Godwin's Law, and therefor invalidates the statement in it's entirety.

Buh-Bye.

R_Strowe
Old 08-05-2021, 07:08 AM
Propworn

Here is a link to the signed exemption for MAAC and its members in good standing Exemption%20-%20Signed.pdf
This is the guidance as set out by Transport Canada Exemption%20Guidance%20Material.pdf
More FAQ from Transport Canada https://www.maac.ca/en/transport_canada_faq.php

Here is the link for foreign membership and there is a link to MSD25
Old 08-05-2021, 07:26 AM
astrohog

If this was some new argument then fine, not so much of an issue. But the same broken record, month after month, year after year, gets tiresome.

But, as an added plus, we can now discount your statement, as it is a direct violation of Godwin's Law, and therefor invalidates the statement in it's entirety.

Buh-Bye.

R_Strowe
So cute and convenient! I'll say that your, "cancellation" of my point due to, " Godwin's law" is just another example of your use of logical fallacies. Funny how your, "rules" only apply to one mindset.

Astro
Old 08-05-2021, 07:41 PM
R_Strowe

So cute and convenient! I'll say that your, "cancellation" of my point due to, " Godwin's law" is just another example of your use of logical fallacies. Funny how your, "rules" only apply to one mindset.

Astro
Hey, you brought up Nazis, not me, but whatever.

R_Strowe
Old 08-05-2021, 08:29 PM
astrohog

Hey, you brought up Nazis, not me, but whatever.

R_Strowe
Just because you are incapable of grasping the concept because you couldn't get past the term Nazi does not make my point invalid or irrelevant, but whatever.

Astro
Old 08-06-2021, 05:35 AM
R_Strowe

Just because you are incapable of grasping the concept because you couldn't get past the term Nazi does not make my point invalid or irrelevant, but whatever.

Astro
Obsess much?

And my grasp of this, and any other concept you wish to put forth, is just fine. Hell, my kid grasps those concepts just fine. Maybe you should just climb down from that big 'ol pedestal, and see that just because the truth doesn't fit your narrative doesn't make it untrue.

R_Strowe
Old 08-06-2021, 01:14 PM
mongo

do you know how many times in history, that the truth not fitting the narrative of whatever crackpot was pushing, has turned out to be nowhere near as true as the prevailing wisdom pretended it to be?

hint, it is more than once.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.