Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA IRS Filings vs. "Annual Reports"

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA IRS Filings vs. "Annual Reports"

Old 09-15-2021, 05:41 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA IRS Filings vs. "Annual Reports"

For those who are interested, here's a link to where you can find AMA's IRS990 filings (note 1). These are considered public documents for all 501c3 organizations. No matter what they tell us in the internal annual financial reports, or whatever they try to spin in public statements, this is reliable truth data as to finances. Not saying it still can't be manipulated, or that it's the complete picture, but knowing submitting bad info to the IRS comes with some degree of risk.

As you look at the data, also keep in mind that a 2001 dollar is worth more than a 2019 dollar due to inflation. In all my calculations, I use the US Government Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI Inflation Calculator (note 2). Since AMA's Fiscal Year runs from January through December, I always use the December number for comparing years.

For example, $1,379,207 in December 2001 (amount AMA reported in "salaries" on their 2001 IRS 990 filing) is worth $2,005,765.69 in 2019. So then if you compare that to what AMA spent on "salaries" in 2019 from their IRS filing that same year, you'll see that AMA spending $2,588,949 ... or 29.07% more. Interesting, given that using the same source info and same inflation method, the membership revenue has fallen by 30%.

Big picture, while AMA membership revenue FELL by 30% ... the spending on salaries went UP by 29%!

Note 1: https://projects.propublica.org/nonp...ions/520799408
Note 2: https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Last edited by franklin_m; 09-15-2021 at 10:20 AM.