Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Who First?

Old 09-24-2021, 04:18 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Who First?

For years now we have seen posts about the financial health and many claims that the AMA is eventually going to close doors. Has anyone looked around and noticed the decline of content and advertising here on RCU? Could the switch be flipped on RCU before the AMA? If so where will posters go to point out the AMAs flaws?
Old 09-24-2021, 04:28 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
For years now we have seen posts about the financial health and many claims that the AMA is eventually going to close doors. Has anyone looked around and noticed the decline of content and advertising here on RCU? Could the switch be flipped on RCU before the AMA? If so where will posters go to point out the AMA’s flaws?
Ah ... welcome back. I knew you couldn't stay away forever.

Well, RCU doesn't have depreciation, maintenance, and other such large ticket items looming without any money saved for it. Furthermore, even if it does fold, that won't change the trajectory of AMA. Your beloved organization is dying. I sent the entire EC a long list of pro bono advice in response to recent EC meeting notes. I heard back from LT, who of course did the tried and true "get involved, run for office, etc. etc." knowing that is slow boat to China approach. In other words, preserve the status quo.

They can't move fast enough to save the organization. With competing CBOs, decreasing value of Taj-Munice to vast majority of members, they've dug themselves a significant hole. Heck, they're still hand wringing over what to do about magazines that are losing hundreds of thousands a year - money that could go toward depreciation, improving more fields close to members (something I've advocated for years), etc. Yet they still haven't decided what to do.

Bottom line, I've seen glaciers move faster than the EC. The problem is, with competition, increasing regulation, inflation, and looming major costs for Taj-Munice, time is not a luxury they have.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:56 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For years now we have seen posts about the financial health and many claims that the AMA is eventually going to close doors. Has anyone looked around and noticed the decline of content and advertising here on RCU? Could the switch be flipped on RCU before the AMA? If so where will posters go to point out the AMAs flaws?
The real question is: Where will you go to try and get your ego stroked and bloviate about your vast experience in the hobby?

Astro
Old 09-24-2021, 05:48 AM
fliers1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
Ah ... welcome back. I knew you couldn't stay away forever.

Well, RCU doesn't have depreciation, maintenance, and other such large ticket items looming without any money saved for it. Furthermore, even if it does fold, that won't change the trajectory of AMA. Your beloved organization is dying. I sent the entire EC a long list of pro bono advice in response to recent EC meeting notes. I heard back from LT, who of course did the tried and true "get involved, run for office, etc. etc." knowing that is slow boat to China approach. In other words, preserve the status quo.

They can't move fast enough to save the organization. With competing CBOs, decreasing value of Taj-Munice to vast majority of members, they've dug themselves a significant hole. Heck, they're still hand wringing over what to do about magazines that are losing hundreds of thousands a year - money that could go toward depreciation, improving more fields close to members (something I've advocated for years), etc. Yet they still haven't decided what to do.

Bottom line, I've seen glaciers move faster than the EC. The problem is, with competition, increasing regulation, inflation, and looming major costs for Taj-Munice, time is not a luxury they have.
I'm sure they won't take it, but I'm curious as to what advice you gave the EC?
Old 09-24-2021, 06:10 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
Shoot me a PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:12 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
Franklin has posted it all in this forum in the past.

Astro
Old 09-24-2021, 06:16 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

speedy, ya gotta realize that rcu isn't a money maker for IB. it is, however, a live test vehicle for new developments to the software they make and sell to other sites. that is why they never really respond to or attempt to fix any of the criticisms that folks have about this site. we are just unpaid beta testers for them. so, kinda doubtful that the switch will ever get flipped to off.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:35 AM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

As for what happens when RCU is dead, the switch has already happened for many. Facebook groups are far more active than RCU forums are. It's just a simpler way to connect, especially for those who have multiple interests that they like to talk with people about. It's a shame though, because old threads won't be preserved the way they are on RCU. So this vast repository of knowledge gets lost. The other benefit that RCU provided was professional reviews. I suppose there are enough pro and talented amateur Youtubers doing that to fill the need, but it was nice to have that curated content all in one place.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:53 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
The other benefit that RCU provided was professional reviews.
You mean the highly biased, "professional" reviews by those who receive free products and "exalted modeler" status for performing said reviews?

Astro
Old 09-24-2021, 07:12 AM
franklin_m

Ironic that the most recent issue of Model Aviation has the CFO recommending the clubs do something that apparently AMA has failed to do. So much so, that I went through my running file that contains all EC minutes back to 1999, and the issue has barely been mentioned (even by the same CFO).

These guys don't look forward any farther than the end of their own noses, and only recognize issues when they trip over them.

I also note that our exulted EC member herein had his name mentioned in the minutes (other than as an attendee), precisely TWO times. More importantly, in the meeting on 1 August there was a discussion of compliance issue directly related to an are of interest of his - yet no mention of any input significant enough to make the minutes.

This is what I mean when I talk about disengaged EC.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:14 AM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
You mean the highly biased, "professional" reviews by those who receive free products and "exalted modeler" status for performing said reviews?

Astro
Well, considering I am one of those reviewers,no, that's not what I mean at all. I did get paid for the review, which I put a considerable amount of time into producing. I didn't get a free airplane, but rather reviewed a plane that I really wanted and bought. You can review my biased work in the Freewing A10 Thunderbolt review that's published on the front page of RCU.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:43 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I got my membership due statment on 9 - 23 - 21. There wasn't any solicitation for donations or enquiry about modeling areas that you participate in.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:32 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

i got mine 25th, had the vote for vp ballot, did not even see any thing about areas of interest or pleadings for donations, now that you mention it.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:18 AM
franklin_m

As for what happens when RCU is dead, the switch has already happened for many. Facebook groups are far more active than RCU forums are. It's just a simpler way to connect, especially for those who have multiple interests that they like to talk with people about. It's a shame though, because old threads won't be preserved the way they are on RCU. So this vast repository of knowledge gets lost. The other benefit that RCU provided was professional reviews. I suppose there are enough pro and talented amateur Youtubers doing that to fill the need, but it was nice to have that curated content all in one place.
That's why FliteTest was so visionary ... they have their own forums, for their own community. I'd argue they get the best of both worlds.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:29 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone looked around and noticed the decline of content and advertising here on RCU?
Advertising, no. I am vicious about adblocking so RCU has no ads at all for me no matter what. But I have noticed this place turn into an absolute ghost town over the years. A decade ago this place was thriving nowadays every time I pop by I swear I hear either crickets chirping or that cheesy cowboy western sound effect.

Could the switch be flipped on RCU before the AMA?
Yup. Could be turned off tomorrow. I've seen sites 5 times this busy go dark for good because the people operating it couldn't afford server costs.

If so where will posters go to point out the AMAs flaws?
Reddit, Facebook, Discord, and RCGroups.
I really don't like using Facebook at all but that's where I go for most of my RC plane discussions. Only thing I use the site for even, and it's all pseudonym'd out.

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post

Astro
Look up Petrinicic Brothers RC. They don't get free planes.
Originally Posted by A. J. Clark View Post
I got my membership due statment on 9 - 23 - 21. There wasn't any solicitation for donations or enquiry about modeling areas that you participate in.
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
i got mine 25th, had the vote for vp ballot, did not even see any thing about areas of interest or pleadings for donations, now that you mention it.
I'm not due for renewal for a long time, but I haven't gotten any emails from the AMA begging for scraps either.

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
That's why FliteTest was so visionary ... they have their own forums, for their own community. I'd argue they get the best of both worlds.
Only part of it. The real reason FT is so visionary is they make getting into the hobby easy and affordable for younger folk. Like, 9-12yo young. The aircraft are small, light, slow, fly nicely, cheap to build, durable, can be flown in a schoolyard or even in a suburban back yard for the mini series; place the AMA is not required to fly and places club dues are not required to fly.

It's a hard pill to swallow when you tell a budding pilot that they need to spend 75 bucks a year on insurance and then atop that pay club dues, but FT's path sidesteps all of that.

I'm an instructor with my club, and things aren't that bad there. Dues are only 30/year and, because the airstrip is provided by the City and is part of the Parks Department, club membership is not required to fly there. Still, it feels a bit meh to tell someone they need an AMA card to fly their own plane there, especially when I would drop the AMA like a bad habit if I could.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:31 AM
fliers1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Franklin, Sent you a pm