Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

I just realized ....

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I just realized ....

Old 12-11-2021, 09:58 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just realized ....

There's two ways to fly turbines w/o needing to go through AMA:

Option 1: Join Flite Test Community Association. No restrictions at all on power source. All you gotta do is stay below 400 AGL. It's certainly possible to do that with turbines helicopters quite easily. It's more challenging with FW, but I know I've seen video of 80lb turbine FW operating at Apollo Field in Los Angeles where the limit is 400 AG (or less).

Option 2: Get your 107. If flying helicopters, probably no need for anything more. If flying fixed wing, will likely need to ask for speed waiver.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:30 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, AMA membership wasn't ever required at Apollo XI field until very recently, I think??, 3-4 years maybe,, Frankly I'm not 100% if it's required now or not

There was always a 400' ceiling agreement with the Airport, but other than that it was the Wild Wild West for years

there are more detailed flight restriction now, thanks to out FAA friends, LATEST UPDATES

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 12-12-2021 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:38 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With all of your wonderful credentials and supposed history, your sure make some stupid suggestions.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:16 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulsf86 View Post
With all of your wonderful credentials and supposed history, your sure make some stupid suggestions.
Stupid why? Because it doesn't require AMA? Not like that is an guarantee of good results. Look at summer EC minutes to see that despite all their 'oversight', there's serious compliance problems. So my point is that why bother with AMA's turbine program at all? Not like it produces any better behaviors .. at least based on their own EC minutes and several videos I forwarded to the ED.