Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

something that may need to be confirmed

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

something that may need to be confirmed

Old 03-23-2022, 03:15 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 141 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Threads can be fun when everyone stays civil, even if not on topic. This is one of the few AMA threads I've actually enjoyed in a long time
Agreed. And I also agree that power here in the NW is produced rather cleanly. However it’s the battery production that has a fairly large carbon footprint. Just imagine the cargo ship that transports the raw materials to the docks which truck/train to the battery factory and then another cargo ship delivering the batteries to docks that then truck/train batteries to auto plants. Not even considering the actual process to turn materials into batteries.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:48 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys have been paying attention, the greenies are now attacking our hydro power too.......

I try to see things from all sides, apply some critical thinking and common sense, but I just can't wrap my head around a lot of what is going on these days.

I'm not a full-on, tin-foil-hat-wearing conspiracy theorist, but beyond the obvious similar carbon footprint of EV's vs IC's, I would be a little concerned in the future of the ability of the government to be able to turn off the flow of electricity whenever THEY deem it "necessary".

Astro
Old 03-23-2022, 04:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 121 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Agreed. And I also agree that power here in the NW is produced rather cleanly. However it’s the battery production that has a fairly large carbon footprint. Just imagine the cargo ship that transports the raw materials to the docks which truck/train to the battery factory and then another cargo ship delivering the batteries to docks that then truck/train batteries to auto plants. Not even considering the actual process to turn materials into batteries.
Trust me, I get it. I was just looking at how having an EV affects the "end user".
Old 03-23-2022, 04:25 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
If you guys have been paying attention, the greenies are now attacking our hydro power too.......

I try to see things from all sides, apply some critical thinking and common sense, but I just can't wrap my head around a lot of what is going on these days.

I'm not a full-on, tin-foil-hat-wearing conspiracy theorist, but beyond the obvious similar carbon footprint of EV's vs IC's, I would be a little concerned in the future of the ability of the government to be able to turn off the flow of electricity whenever THEY deem it "necessary".

Astro
I've seen bills about protecting the fish, owls, eagles and several other kinds of supposedly endangered wildlife that would be saved by blowing up dams and the associated powerhouses. It seems like the "greenies" want us all back on horseback and buckboards
Old 03-23-2022, 05:32 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Trust me, I get it. I was just looking at how having an EV affects the "end user".

I get ya. Imagine living in California where they tell you not to charge until after 10PM. And IC vehicle sales are to be banned by 2035. How much sense does that make?
Old 03-23-2022, 07:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
I get ya. Imagine living in California where they tell you not to charge until after 10PM. And IC vehicle sales are to be banned by 2035. How much sense does that make?
California has had an electricity shortage for years so, when you have that, it makes sense to limit when you can charge an EV. The issue is when someone is passing through, are they going to be restricted to traveling at night? As far as banning IC sales, not going to happen. That would be like saying the only boats you can have are sailboats and that's not going to happen either.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:00 AM
speedracerntrixie

You would be charging at night. California has had power issues for decades now. The idea of banning IC sales in 2035 is a joke. The next governor will resend that. The power grid is already below the requirements they need and I haven’t seen any upgrades to the infrastructure. IMO a ploy to increase EV sales now to put money in corrupt pockets.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:49 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts