Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

something that may need to be confirmed

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

something that may need to be confirmed

Old 03-16-2022, 06:41 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default something that may need to be confirmed

got this off the AMA threads on "that other GROUP" of R/C related threads:

"A friend and fellow RC flier found this posted today on the Iowa City Aerohawks [email protected]**k page:

Quote: Heads up RC pilots: I just received word from my son in California that his RC club in Southern California had a surprise visit from the FAA. They were checking to see if the pilots were registered with the FAA and that their registration number was affixed to their aircraft per the FAA requirement. Since the majority of the planes and pilots that were checked didn't meet the registration requirements, the FAA has shut down their field for 60 days. (emphasis added)

Please go on line and register and put your FAA number on your planes, if you haven't already. Better safe than sorry.. We wouldn't want to run the risk of having something like this happen at our field.

I just found out you must also show proof you have taken and passed the FAA TRUST Test. Once you pass the test you can print out a card showing you successfully passed the test.

Note, don't confuse this with the remote ID the FAA is going to require at non FRIA locations. It's strictly about registering, displaying your number and, showing proof that you passed the TRUST Test.

Feel free to share this post."

anybody able to confirm this? gather it was southern california somewhere.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:58 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 147 Likes on 127 Posts

I believe that was at the Basin/Apollo field that had been an issue for many years. I think it was sometime in 2018. The field has since reopened. Andy may have more details.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 223 Likes on 181 Posts

Not my district but yes this has the ring of something that happened a few years ago, I'm not aware of it happening recently.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:13 AM
BarracudaHockey

According to RC Groups
There's a note on the fecabook page now that it was a rumor that one club (Palomar RC) started about another (Weed Whackers), and it's not true.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:22 AM
BarracudaHockey

Confirmed with HQ, it's fake news, as I suspected
Old 03-17-2022, 04:34 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

But

Old 03-17-2022, 06:02 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Confirmed with HQ, it's fake news, as I suspected
Andy, would it be safe to say that there currently are no recorded instances where FAA representatives “dropped in” on a club flying site in an official capacity?
Old 03-17-2022, 06:33 AM
BarracudaHockey

I've heard unconfirmed reports, I've never heard of a confirmed report of someone from the FAA showing up and checking registrations, they have better things to do for one and the FAA is largely educational over enforcement, even IF they bothered it would be to inform folks of the rules and maybe come back later and check on it.

Not saying it hasn't happened, it's possible, but it hasn't happened and been reported to us that I know of in any manner I would call confirmed and not second hand drivel
Old 03-17-2022, 07:26 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Andy, would it be safe to say that there currently are no recorded instances where FAA representatives “dropped in” on a club flying site in an official capacity?
Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I believe that was at the Basin/Apollo field that had been an issue for many years. I think it was sometime in 2018. The field has since reopened. Andy may have more details.

Which one is it? Both you and Andy have acknowledged this older incident in CA, but then go on to say there has never been an instance of this happening?

Astro
Old 03-17-2022, 08:30 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
Which one is it? Both you and Andy have acknowledged this older incident in CA, but then go on to say there has never been an instance of this happening?

Astro
In the first post I was confirming that I had heard the same rumor and thought it plausible. After Andy confirming it as not true, I simply asked for clarification that AMA is not aware of such occurrences happening anywhere else.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:53 AM
astrohog

In the first post I was confirming that I had heard the same rumor and thought it plausible. After Andy confirming it as not true, I simply asked for clarification that AMA is not aware of such occurrences happening anywhere else.
Again, Andy's statement was not clear. On one hand he acknowledged he had heard of an instance that may have happened a few years ago, and then came here and called it "fake news", but I read it as "fake news" as far as a recent occurrence. If Andy would clarify that, we could clear this up.

Astro
Old 03-17-2022, 08:59 AM
speedracerntrixie

I thought post 8 did just that.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:59 AM
BarracudaHockey

I did, a while back, hear a rumor, not something that I would say came from someone I would take as fact (the VP out there, a club officer, someone i knew personally etc)
Old 03-17-2022, 10:47 AM
astrohog

I thought post 8 did just that.
I know that is what you thought, that is why I replied with what I did. We both read the same thing and came away with a different interpretation. That is why I asked for Andy's confirmation. Based on his reply, it sounds as if we won't ever get firm confirmation, which doesn't surprise me.

Your question to Andy asked if there was a, "written record" of said occurrence. Written record where? by whom? the AMA? The FAA? As we have discussed before, vetting "facts" is a very difficult thing to do and define these days. Just because Andy doesn't have or know of a written record, does not mean that this did not happen 3 years ago at said club in California.

I think we can all agree that there doesn't seem to be any kind of evidence that this is happening everywhere with any kind of regularity (or at all), or that there is any sign of it happening in the future.

Astro
Old 03-17-2022, 12:56 PM
speedracerntrixie

Astro, for once I think we are on the same page.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:04 PM
astrohog

Astro, for once I think we are on the same page.
It doesn't happen often, but it's not the first time!

Astro
Old 03-20-2022, 04:49 AM
astrohog

I guess this forum really doesn't like it when we agree. Sure went silent fast! LOL

Astro
Old 03-20-2022, 06:15 AM
BarracudaHockey

LOL

Stunned silence?
Old 03-20-2022, 06:46 AM
speedracerntrixie

LOL, yep it sure got quiet in a hurry. I’m going to think of it as a good thing. We had a swap meet yesterday just down the road from the Evergreen Aviation Museum where the Spruce Goose is kept. I spent just as much time BSing with guys I have met since moving up to Oregon as I did looking for those little diamonds. I did however “rescue” a few kits. Picked up a Bridi Super Chipmunk from a guy who actually worked for Joe Bridi back in the day. He shared stories with me for a good 45 minutes. Overall great fun.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:07 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a stack of kits in my basement, for sure a Sig Wonder, Shrike 10, Simple 400, and Ace Pacer among some others.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:43 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
I got a stack of kits in my basement, for sure a Sig Wonder, Shrike 10, Simple 400, and Ace Pacer among some others.
I’m pleasantly surprised to to know that. I didn’t take you for a kit builder. Lately I’ve been picking up mostly kits that my father and I had during my early years. A little comfort since his passing. Almost finished with a 1979 Spickler Quickie 500 kit.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:44 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m pleasantly surprised to to know that. I didn’t take you for a kit builder. Lately I’ve been picking up mostly kits that my father and I had during my early years. A little comfort since his passing. Almost finished with a 1979 Spickler Quickie 500 kit.
Not sure what's so surprising about that. I've built a fair number of kits over the years. I've just been building ones I can fly closer to home. RadicalRC QuickWing 12mm, Stevens Aero Adrenaline Rush, misc foamies, and 450/500 helos. The big stuff requires a club field, and I don't have the free time to make that kind of investment in terms of driving to/from. I've got a few other large field kits, Golden Era 60, a 40 size CL, and a pretty old 40 size pylon racer kit. Maybe someday when I have more time to drive to/from and other issues...
Old 03-20-2022, 03:12 PM
speedracerntrixie

I only know of you what you post. I don’t recall you mentioning any kit builds.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:35 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 121 Likes on 115 Posts

Well then, would it surprise you if I said I have a Goldberg Electra kit hiding under my bed, along with four full rigged ships and an aircraft carrier?
Then again, everything else I have that fly are all gasser plans, other than the plans I have for a Kadet Jr, since there's very few kits in my area anymore that aren't way overpriced
Old 03-21-2022, 04:47 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Well then, would it surprise you if I said I have a Goldberg Electra kit hiding under my bed, along with four full rigged ships and an aircraft carrier?
Then again, everything else I have that fly are all gasser plans, other than the plans I have for a Kadet Jr, since there's very few kits in my area anymore that aren't way overpriced
Not really, you have mentioned a kit or two before and you have also given opinions on build difficulty. That Electra would be a nice build with modern electronics. You and I geographically aren’t very far apart, are there no clubs that host swap meets up there? I only have three kits that I paid “ market price “ to get. One is a Bridi Rearwin Speedster that I paid $425 shipped then a Master Kit Hyper Bipe that was $175 shipped and lastly the Q500 pictured which was &125 shipped. IMO what drove those prices up is the bogus shipping charges we have been seeing the last few years. Locally I bought a Sig Zlin kit that is pristine for an even $100. On Saturday at a swap meet I picked up Bridi Cipmunk, High Line Cherokee, Midwest Jetster and a few accessories all for under $200. There are good deals out there but you do need to get out there and look for them. I have looked through the Seattle Craigslist a few times and have seen a few good deals even.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.