Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA administrative lapse causes US Capitol evacuation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA administrative lapse causes US Capitol evacuation

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 01:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I saw it to, Mongo. Kind of shut down all debate on whether a CL, or any other powered model can fly or not, didn't it.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:25 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Hey Asstool, where did I mention CL?
UMMMM….How easily you forget! Do you even read what you type?

It’s my understanding that CL and FF are excepted from this regulation.
For a whiner who lives in a glass house, you sure like to stir the pot! LOL

Does it make you feel like a, “Big Man” to call people names? Asking for a friend.

Astro
Old 04-25-2022, 01:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

There you go AGAIN assuming that I don’t know the definition of decibels. You and your boyfriend Astro really need to stop thinking that the two of you are smarter then anyone else. First off I know the tone difference between a muffled pipe and a non muffled pipe. If you would actually read and give my posts some thought instead of instantly trying to come up with something to debunk what I am saying you wouldn’t sound like such an idiot. The tone/pitch difference I hear in that video is the difference between muffled and non muffler pipe. There is no way in hell a non muffled pipe is going to make the 85DB that you originally claimed. Both of us have confirmed that NAMBA requires 95DB. A huge difference from what you originally stated. I do give you credit for correcting yourself though.
I also corrected the club requirements AS BEING 5DBS LOWER THAN WHAT NAMBA REQUIRES!!!!!!
With that said, you are forgetting a few things that will also account for different exhaust pitches:
  1. How about we start out with different pipe lengths? A longer pipe will have a lower pitch
  2. How about we follow that with different nitro and oil contents? A higher nitro content requires a richer needle, lowering the pitch
  3. Now, what about head clearances? Does that matter? A shorter squish band will use less fuel and a shorter pipe, raising the pitch
  4. And what about boats that are set up to run leaner? Seems to me a richer running boat will be lower pitched than a leaner one
  5. Then again, the prop can't make that much of a difference, can it? A 1.6 pitch thrust prop should need a different needle setting than a 1.4 lifting prop due to a heavier load though the 1.4 will not have as much thrust due to a different blade shape that is optimized for lifting the hull
And none of that even takes into account if a pipe is muffled, has an inline muffler after the pipe's stinger or if it even has a need for a muffler

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-25-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:11 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
UMMMM….How easily you forget! Do you even read what you type?

For a whiner who lives in a glass house, you sure like to stir the pot! LOL

Does it make you feel like a, “Big Man” to call people names? Asking for a friend.

Astro
OK, I’ll concede the CL comment. The rest is more of your trash talk. I’m not the one that hides.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 04-25-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:17 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I also corrected the club requirements AS BEING 5DBS LOWER THAN WHAT NAMBA REQUIRES!!!!!!
With that said, you are forgetting a few things that will also account for different exhaust pitches:
  1. How about we start out with different pipe lengths? A longer pipe will have a lower pitch
  2. How about we follow that with different nitro and oil contents? A higher nitro content requires a richer needle, lowering the pitch
  3. Now, what about head clearances? Does that matter? A shorter squish band will use less fuel and a shorter pipe, raising the pitch
  4. And what about boats that are set up to run leaner? Seems to me a richer running boat will be lower pitched than a leaner one
  5. Then again, the prop can't make that much of a difference, can it? A 1.6 pitch thrust prop should need a different needle setting than a 1.4 lifting prop due to a heavier load though the 1.4 will not have as much thrust due to a different blade shape that is optimized for lifting the hull
And none of that even takes into account if a pipe is muffled, has an inline muffler after the pipe's stinger or if it even has a need for a muffler

Nice try there Water Boy, your buddies Frank and Astro ( whatever his name really is, maybe Frank Jr. for all we know ) may buy your crap but you and I know your supposed technical fun facts are fake.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Nice try there Water Boy, your buddies Frank and Astro ( whatever his name really is, maybe Frank Jr. for all we know ) may buy your crap but you and I know your supposed technical fun facts are fake.
Are they? Let's find out:
  • When did you become an expert on hydroplanes and marine two stroke engines?
  • When have you actually raced a scale hydroplane?
  • When was the last time you were at an R/C hydroplane race?
  • Do you even know the difference between a 1.4 and a 1.6 prop?
  • What is the rear wing on a hydroplane used for?
  • Why is the rudder offset to one side instead of being centered on the transom?
  • How deep is the prop normally set under the hull?
  • What is the normal starting size of prop for a nitro scale hydroplane?
  • Why do scale boats run clockwise and the full size boats anti-clockwise?
Take your best shot, but no using any search program

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-25-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:05 PM
speedracerntrixie

Are they? Let's find out:
  • When did you become an expert on hydroplanes and marine two stroke engines?
  • Have you actually raced a scale hydroplane?
  • When was the last time you were at an R/C hydroplane race?
  • Do you even know the difference between a 1.4 and a 1.6 prop?
  • What is the rear wing on a hydroplane used for?
  • Why is the rudder offset to one side instead of being centered on the transom?
  • How deep is the prop normally set under the hull?
  • What is the normal starting size of prop for a nitro scale hydroplane?
  • Why do scale boats run clockwise and the full size boats anti-clockwise?
Take your best shot, but no using any search program

Remember that time you had the same attitude when you asked me when did I become a helicopter expert? Did you net get enough embarrassment from that? So to show you I know my way around a piped 2 stroke how about a couple pictures. The first is two seasons worth of pylon racing with a couple piped Rossi engines. The second picture is the carbon fiber pipes on my 3W 106 that a buddy and I designed last year. Those pipes boost power enough so that the 106 is able to spin a 26x12x3 to the tune of 7400 rpm.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:12 PM
astrohog

OK, I’ll concede the CL comment. The rest is more of your trash talk. I’m not the one that hides.
LOL. Your word has proven over and over to be nothing but logical fallacies. Your whole life is a logical fallacy. Wake up and see the forest through the trees!

Astro
Old 04-25-2022, 03:22 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Thank You Mongo, I appreciate you mentioning my post. At some point it's gotta stop being about what has happened in the past between fellow members here, and instead become about how our organization is putting out dangerously misleading information to our fellow members. To be sure, I stop short of accusing the AMA of intentionally disseminating incorrect info regarding the TFRs, for all I know the AMA leadership does actually believe Control Line is kosher during a TFR, when in reality all it took was a simple Email to the FAA for me to verify that it is, in fact, verbotten. I didn't ask about free flight, mostly because I live no where near the wide open spaces needed for that endeavor, but if a plane that physically can't ever be more than 100' AGL is subject to TFRs, I can't imagine something that will fly higher than that, and uncontrolled to boot, would be OK with the FAA either.

PS, Kudos to the FAA, I sent them my Email yesterday, and got my return answer today, I wish all correspondence could be so timely ! .......
Talk about Nero fiddling while Rome burned, here I have provided written proof that the AMA is putting out mistaken info, info that could cause some members a whole lotta grief someday, and all you guys want to do is run over and over the same old tired ground of the pissing contest between yourselves. This really ISN'T about the AMA with any of you, is it?!?!?! Whatever. I've done my part, and now I'm done here.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:25 PM
Hydro Junkie

Remember that time you had the same attitude when you asked me when did I become a helicopter expert? Did you net get enough embarrassment from that? So to show you I know my way around a piped 2 stroke how about a couple pictures. The first is two seasons worth of pylon racing with a couple piped Rossi engines. The second picture is the carbon fiber pipes on my 3W 106 that a buddy and I designed last year. Those pipes boost power enough so that the 106 is able to spin a 26x12x3 to the tune of 7400 rpm.

How does a series of questions on boats get answered with Rossi powered pylon racers and a 3W 106? Seems to me the scale boats run water cooled .65/.67 with a single tuned pipe. Your post would be like comparing a ZO6 Corvette to a Mustang GT, not answering any of the questions I asked, that is unless you can't answer them
Old 04-25-2022, 03:26 PM
Hydro Junkie

How does a series of questions on boats get answered with Rossi powered pylon racers and a 3W 106? Seems to me the scale boats run water cooled .65/.67 with a single tuned pipe. Your post would be like comparing a ZO6 Corvette to a Mustang GT, not answering any of the questions I asked, that is unless you can't answer them
Old 04-25-2022, 04:05 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by init4fun
Talk about Nero fiddling while Rome burned, here I have provided written proof that the AMA is putting out mistaken info, info that could cause some members a whole lotta grief someday, and all you guys want to do is run over and over the same old tired ground of the pissing contest between yourselves. This really ISN'T about the AMA with any of you, is it?!?!?! Whatever. I've done my part, and now I'm done here.
Init, I appreciate that you took the time to find out and post the facts. Those of us that have been here for any length of time have proven many, many instances of mis-steps by the AMA, enough to show beyond a reasonable doubt, that they are running the organization into oblivion, are not serving their members, and will die a slow death and take the hobby along with it. I didn't expect speedy to chime in, as the evidence you offered directly conflicts with statements he just made, and we all know how he hates being wrong and acknowledging reality. I keep thinking that as more and more of the truth is exposed, that the court jesters will just accept the facts and maybe advocate for change along with us, rather than dig in and insist that Rome is NOT burning.

Astro

Old 04-25-2022, 04:28 PM
speedracerntrixie

The fact that regardless of what the engine is mounted on there are very small differences between marine 2 stroke and airplane 2 strokes. Since you think there is a significant difference tells me you lack knowledge. Not a big surprise as most advise you give in the airplane forums is often wrong. I once had a conversation with Terry Prather about his tuned pipes ( actually manufactured by Wally Mcalister ) and that the airplane pipes looked identical to the boat pipes. Terry assured me there was no difference. Your whole rich setting, lean setting BS was just that. Pipe tuning is dependent on one thing, rpm. High rpm is a short pipe, add more prop load and lower the rpm, lengthen the pipe.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

There is a big difference. Let's start with RPM capability for one:
  • You try running an OS .65AX at 20K and it will fly apart. My CMB .67 won't even blink since it can handle 28K.
  • You try running your 106 at 20K, something my CMB 27cc gasser can do all day long, it will explode as well.
Pipe length is only one thing that has to be set on a marine nitro engine. Since WE RUN 50%+ NITRO FUEL, we are constantly having to tweak the high speed needle due to temperature variations, humidity variations and atmospheric pressure variations. Many of us actually have a vacuum gauge that we use to keep the needle consistent, but then again, you wouldn't know that since you don't run the same way us boaters do. Our gas engines are much simpler. You install the pipe, set the needles and go. We normally start at full length on the header and shorten as needed until we get to the right length. Since our gas pipes are also are water cooled, you can't cut them at the engine end. Bet you didn't know that either.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:06 PM
speedracerntrixie

First off I would never own an OS 65AX. Compared to the engines OS used to make, the FX and AX series are junk. Your engines rev higher because they are ported to run that rpm, have needle bearing connecting rods and are tru ABC construction. Your able to run high nitro due to lower compression. All this is pretty basic info that you seem to think is rocket surgery ( not really a term, at least by those who have actually worked on rockets ). Now if you were to start explaining something like squash band contouring methods to increase fuel atomization or something other then simple tuning I may be convinced that like with you may have graduated out of the “ wannabe “ stage.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:17 PM
astrohog

First off I would never own an OS 65AX. Compared to the engines OS used to make, the FX and AX series are junk. Your engines rev higher because they are ported to run that rpm, have needle bearing connecting rods and are tru ABC construction. Your able to run high nitro due to lower compression. All this is pretty basic info that you seem to think is rocket surgery ( not really a term, at least by those who have actually worked on rockets ). Now if you were to start explaining something like squash band contouring methods to increase fuel atomization or something other then simple tuning I may be convinced that like with you may have graduated out of the “ wannabe “ stage.
Since the thread topic is about the FAA’s failure to inform the capital of an approved flight plan then the FAA’s failure to notify every registered UAS pilot of a TFR in their area certainly is relatable.

Hypocrite much? Rules for thee but not for me?

Astro
Old 04-25-2022, 06:40 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by astrohog
Hypocrite much? Rules for thee but not for me?

Astro

Do you ever not be a douche bag?

Actually it’s quite catchy, Astro Douche…….LOL
Old 04-25-2022, 06:52 PM
astrohog

You are the one that pulls douchey crap on here and then call ME a douche? Classy

Astro
Old 04-25-2022, 07:17 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mongo
am i the only one that saw and read init's reply from the FAA about control line models?
I saw it. Well done to init.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Face it Astro, we're never going to know as much as 'The Almighty Speed of the All Knowing AMA". A couple of trophies makes him the ultimate authority on anything R/C, even though he don't know crap about anything marine related. If I tried to tune a boat the way he thinks it should be tuned, it would never get up on plane.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:37 PM
astrohog

Face it Astro, we're never going to know as much as 'The Almighty Speed of the All Knowing AMA". A couple of trophies makes him the ultimate authority on anything R/C, even though he don't know crap about anything marine related. If I tried to tune a boat the way he thinks it should be tuned, it would never get up on plane.
You're just jealous! LOL LOL
Old 04-25-2022, 07:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not hardly. Truth be told, I'm in IDGAS mode at the moment
Old 05-09-2022, 08:34 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Am I the only one who has B4UFLY on their phone? It was developed jointly by Aloft and the FAA. Of course you also need to use it for it to be effective.
Also it does come with a lot of warnings about how up-to-date the information is but mostly that is to protect the developers from lawyers trying to cash in on their clients bad decisions.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:36 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I followed the link above. This is a quote from that story: "A third senior staffer said, “It’s alarming and I’m sure traumatizing to Capitol Police officers and staff who had to consider that a plane was heading to the Capitol.”" So now we are on the hook to pay for the PTSD of all those Capital Police who were traumatized.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:00 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I followed the link above. This is a quote from that story: "A third senior staffer said, “It’s alarming and I’m sure traumatizing to Capitol Police officers and staff who had to consider that a plane was heading to the Capitol.”" So now we are on the hook to pay for the PTSD of all those Capital Police who were traumatized.
Including the well-paying disability retirement signed off by department shrinks. Since PTSD became a catch word for anything uncomfortable many people are easily traumatized by anything that occurs outside of their bubble. PTSD came into the mainstream through the VA treating military people who endured catastrophic combat situations. Some came home scarred, more came home and constructively went on with their lives.

Staffers I understand, but If some Capitol Police crapped their pants due to an incoming aircraft they are more suited to delivering pizza than wearing a badge they signed up for.