Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

RDQ & RemoteID: Appeals Court Decision

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

RDQ & RemoteID: Appeals Court Decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 05:45 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FAA is moving ahead with Remote ID. In a filing in the Federal Register the FAA says some manufactures have filed their MOC's (read DJI):

"The FAA has already received some declarations of compliance from manufacturers who are likely to meet the September 16, 2022, compliance date. However, the FAA acknowledges that other manufacturers may not have sufficient time to adequately design, develop, and test unmanned aircraft and file a declaration of compliance with the FAA on or before September 16, 2022, because of the delayed acceptance of the means of compliance. Accordingly, the FAA will exercise its discretion in determining how to handle any apparent noncompliance, including exercising discretion to not take enforcement action, if appropriate, for any noncompliance that occurs on or before December 16, 2022. The exercise of enforcement discretion herein creates no individual right of action and establishes no precedent for future determinations."
Old 09-15-2022, 06:42 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by PilotSpike
Its always the other guys problem isn't it? The AMA is a CBO that represents .the community that makes up its membership, ostensibly the local clubs and fliers. Its a reflection of those in its organization in large part. If they, ie we, want the AMA and the hobby to grow by more than single digit percentages, the local communities, the ones that make up the AMA, are the ones with the best leverage and opportunity to do so.

We dont need the AMA to make press releases, your local club can do it for your local media.
We dont need the AMA to get our neighbors out to the field, we need can invite them and make it attractive.
We dont need the AMA to take the models to the general public, we can do static displays at shopping centers and community events.
We dont need the AMA to organize events, we do events events every year for those already in the hobby.
etc.
etc.

I agree that the AMA can get involved and contribute resources. That would be really awesome. At the same time I find it disingenuous to complain about what they aren't doing when so many of us fly at fields whose entrances are unmarked roads that are hidden by hedge rows. I just got back into the hobby after a 20 year hiatus and the biggest thing that grabbed my attention (other than the technology shift) is how lonely the process was from discovery to eventually joining a club and buying my (second) first plane. Thats not to say that the individuals I interacted with were cold or unpleasant. But overall there was a clear lack of road signs, processes, or even a roadmap for those interested in the hobby.

Just some thoughts.

J
There is no roadmap because it's a dying hobby mostly for older men.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:10 PM
ECHO24

With Remote ID I though sub 250 gram would be the thing (that and 3D printing). I bought a Lemon "micro brick", similar to Horizon Hobby's UMX but with 2 standard servos rather than linear. It's a full-range 4 channel receiver and a brushed speed controller under 7 grams. It also will run a brushless controller. The servos are tiny, not much bigger than a voltage pot on a buck converter. I'm not sure what size control surface they would operate. At this point it's all experimental. Meaning I've spent a lot of time just staring at it.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:35 AM
PilotSpike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fooey. That seems to me to be confusing the cause with the effect. Maybe its a 'dying hobby' because the community has not been intentional about making it something for other than 'older men'.

How many of us that are active in the hobby have invited to participate or talked to a young man or young woman about rc models? Are we relating to to STEM? I think there is a huge part of our answer in that question.

J

Originally Posted by ECHO24
There is no roadmap because it's a dying hobby mostly for older men.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Me, all the time. I have a meeting with a scout troop next week actually.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:52 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Earlier in this thread I reported on a public awareness event at one of my clubs. It was announced at our monthly meeting on Tuesday that we gained 8 new members as a result. All 8 are under 18. 3 have scheduled flight training with the club instructors.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:29 AM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by PilotSpike
Fooey. That seems to me to be confusing the cause with the effect. Maybe its a 'dying hobby' because the community has not been intentional about making it something for other than 'older men'.

How many of us that are active in the hobby have invited to participate or talked to a young man or young woman about rc models? Are we relating to to STEM? I think there is a huge part of our answer in that question.

J
People have been saying that same thing for years and the numbers keep dwindling. And now with Remote ID RC aircraft not equipped will be illegal to fly anywhere except a FRIA. So a newcomer needs to be old enough to drive and have a car. Those who could catch a ride with a parent or family member in the hobby presumably would already be flying RC if interested. They best place would be a school willing to apply for a FRIA, that is if the administrators would take on the responsibility. Some colleges have stopped school-sponsored nature walks over liability. AMA'ers don't seem to appreciate how many kids got in to RC flying with a cheapo Christmas or birthday present they flew in their back yard or empty field nearby. RC flying has to capture their imagination to keep at it long enough to gain the skills to enjoy it. They can get instant gratification with a drone. Though with Remote ID that's history too.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:39 AM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Earlier in this thread I reported on a public awareness event at one of my clubs. It was announced at our monthly meeting on Tuesday that we gained 8 new members as a result. All 8 are under 18. 3 have scheduled flight training with the club instructors.
How many had club member parents? My son would go flying too if I built the plane, trimmed it out, a turn-key operation. Let us know a year from now how many are still at it. My son, all grown up and married now, has 2 planes I built for him hanging in his garage.

The guy here who knows the actual AMA numbers won't say. That should tell you something.

Last edited by ECHO24; 09-16-2022 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:26 AM
speedracerntrixie

One has a grand parent. Can’t say about the others. I agree that long term keeping these kids interested is going to be a challenge, gotta start somewhere and without a pessimistic attitude if we want them to stick around.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:19 AM
ECHO24

One has a grand parent. Can’t say about the others. I agree that long term keeping these kids interested is going to be a challenge, gotta start somewhere and without a pessimistic attitude if we want them to stick around.
There will always be some level of interest in flying RC model aircraft and AMA fields. I was talking about the hobby as a whole and the effect of Remote ID and drones
Old 09-16-2022, 10:20 AM
speedracerntrixie

Let me put on my flame suit for this one. IMO RID will eventually need to be scrapped. There are zero indications that traditional model airplane suppliers are supporting it. A couple manufacturers with lower market share were asked about it and indicated in their answers that they were unaware that the US market was going to require it. I have directly inquired to JR and Futaba team members about it and have received zero answers. Horizon’s web site does not advertise any RTF or BNF models as being RID compliant. So what is going to be the next move for FAA if the equipment never materializes?
Old 09-16-2022, 11:23 AM
ECHO24

According to the people in charge, including the DOJ, the only place RC aircraft should be flown is at a FRIA where Remote ID is not required.
7 DJI drone are now Remote ID compliant. Modules are a temporary solution until other drone manufacturers get up to speed. Owners of older
drones that can't be fitted with a module will be told to go fly at a FRIA. The FAA's definition of obsolescence I think is 3 years.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:47 AM
speedracerntrixie

Modules don’t exist, the FRIA lifespan I believe was dropped in the final rule.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:10 PM
ECHO24

Modules don’t exist, the FRIA lifespan I believe was dropped in the final rule.
Modules are not due until next September 16th. The point is it's about drones. Model aircraft don't need Remote ID, They're supposed to stay on the reservation, at least according to the powers that be, a "generous carve-out" provided by the FAA.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:32 PM
speedracerntrixie

Agreed, however to the best of my knowledge there are no radio manufacturers ( Futaba, JR, Jeti etc. ) that have modules in the works. If this is true, one year to develop, test, submit for approval from FAA and FCC if required is a very compressed timeline.

The question remains, what is the FAA’s next move if the equipment never materializes?
Old 09-16-2022, 02:33 PM
ECHO24

Agreed, however to the best of my knowledge there are no radio manufacturers ( Futaba, JR, Jeti etc. ) that have modules in the works. If this is true, one year to develop, test, submit for approval from FAA and FCC if required is a very compressed timeline.

The question remains, what is the FAA’s next move if the equipment never materializes?
Earlier in the thread I contacted every RC radio manufacture via email or through their website about RID modules. I received 2 responses. Only RadioMaster, I think it was, said they planned to sell them. That doesn't mean other mfg's don't have them in the works. They are simple devices. If there's a market someone will do it. If not too bad. Drone owners who can't upgrade with firmware will have to buy a new drone or fly illegally. 99% of FPVers do that now anyway.

DJI's press release today makes that harder for the FPV outlaws: " DJI always complies with the laws and regulations of the countries where we operate, and is ready to comply with the FAA’s Remote ID mandate as well. DJI customers can fly with confidence that they can comply with the FAA rule.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:15 PM
speedracerntrixie

In a side note, I wouldn’t make the claim that DJI always complies with US law. Around 2009 a OPSEC bulletin went out to service members and defense contractors to the US government to discontinue the use of DJI products. Seems when they had a software update that during the update all operating logs were downloaded onto DJI servers which of course went to the Chinese government. I’m confident that still happens with civil use as information gathering.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:41 PM
ECHO24

Anyone at all interested in how the RC model aircraft hobby became subordinate to drones, here are 2 videos with Brendan Schulman, AMA's lawyer vs. FAA in 2014. The first video is on the RDQ US Appeals Court decision a month ago:
The second video is back in 2013 when Brendan Schulman was representing Rafael Pirker (Trappy):

The second video is at NY University School of Law. The key point is that the FAA in 2007 decreed that using model aircraft/drones commercially was illegal. That was the basis of the fines against Rafael Pirker (TBS). They ultimately lost in the NTSB phase for operating an "aircraft" in an unsafe manner. That was the first victory for the FAA, that model aircraft were "aircraft" for the purposes of regulation. But the take away is the allegation that the FAA didn't follow the proper NPRM procedures in establishing that commercial prohibition. Guess what, it may have taken several years but that is exactly what the FAA has done since, and at several points now backed up by statutory authority in various laws passes by Congress.

As for AMA and drones, in 2007 Rich Hanson became the AMA's Director of Government Relations. Hanson/AMA has been on every DAC, Drone Advisory Committee, from then until now. As to what happened to the model aircraft hobby, it is of no interest to the FAA in the bigger scheme of regulating drones. It is an "exception" to the rules until the old duffers die out.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:34 PM
ECHO24

AMA sued the FAA in 2014, arguing for less restrictions on drones and FPV flown OUTSIDE of AMA fields. Think about that. AMA spending membership dues on lawyer fees to file a lawsuit on behalf of drones. AMA has NEVER advocated for RC model aircraft flying outside of AMA. Nor has AMA ever taken the position that "non-advanced" model aircraft without cameras or GPS flight controllers should be regulated differently than drones.

The same AMA, in their official response to the proposed Remote ID rule in 2020, tried to back-peddle and claim AMA was strictly a line-of-sight organization. Too late to undo the damage with that lame excuse. Beginning next September 16th buy a drone if you don't belong to an AMA club because there will be nowhere else in the US to fly a model plane or helicopter.

Even if there was a market for model aircraft with integrated Remote ID, they cannot be made tamperproof. Model aircraft are made up of components. For that reason add-on modules, if anyone does make them, will be quickly scrapped. There is no way to prove a user unplugged a module if they claim it happened in flight. In contrast, no one is going to crack open their new DJI drone and try to reverse engineer it to find the chip with Remote ID and possibly ruin their investment. So DJI can issue that cheeky press release yesterday telling DJI customers they can rest assured their drone is fully compliant with all FAA regulations and Remote ID. While a year from now it will be illegal to fly RC model aircraft anywhere except at a FRIA.

That's the cosmic joke AMA and the guy running it has played on the hobby.

Last edited by ECHO24; 09-17-2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:02 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course it takes more than watching 2 videos. You have to use your brain.
Yep, and the AMA simply had to promote separation of traditional model aircraft and drones, and I believe we (traditional modelers) would be in a much better position. You have to use your brain.

Astro
Old 09-17-2022, 10:52 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are zero indications that traditional model airplane suppliers are supporting it. A couple manufacturers with lower market share were asked about it and indicated in their answers that they were unaware that the US market was going to require it. I have directly inquired to JR and Futaba team members about it and have received zero answers. Horizon’s web site does not advertise any RTF or BNF models as being RID compliant. So what is going to be the next move for FAA if the equipment never materializes?
I don't think the other stakeholders (commercial interests, military, and DHS) really care if modules are not available. In fact, that may be part of their grand strategy. The market for them is so small, they won't be commercially viable. Therefore folks will be driven to (1) DJI type (with integrated RID), (2) flying only at FRIAs, (3) flying illegally, or (4) switching to sub-250. And switiching to sub-250 is by far the easisest for those w/o a driving "need" to fly larger stuff. Thus I predict demand for FRIAs will decline over time. Heck, as some noted, just the logistics of getting to/from will make it harder. Yet another reason making sub-250 look attractive.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:16 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I don't think the other stakeholders (commercial interests, military, and DHS) really care if modules are not available. In fact, that may be part of their grand strategy. The market for them is so small, they won't be commercially viable. Therefore folks will be driven to (1) DJI type (with integrated RID), (2) flying only at FRIAs, (3) flying illegally, or (4) switching to sub-250. And switiching to sub-250 is by far the easisest for those w/o a driving "need" to fly larger stuff. Thus I predict demand for FRIAs will decline over time. Heck, as some noted, just the logistics of getting to/from will make it harder. Yet another reason making sub-250 look attractive.
Tim Mckay on YouTube is good place to start for traditional RC planes under 250 grams. He has several Guillows planes converted to electric. I'm not sure if this is the same company that put out the balsa airplane kits I built as a kid that you covered in tissue paper back then. Tim just likes these small planes. The rules now have some of us taking a second look. It's definitely different and tiny but RC flying is just a fantasy anyway.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:49 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim Mckay on YouTube is good place to start for traditional RC planes under 250 grams. He has several Guillows planes converted to electric. I'm not sure if this is the same company that put out the balsa airplane kits I built as a kid that you covered in tissue paper back then. Tim just likes these small planes. The rules now have some of us taking a second look. It's definitely different and tiny but RC flying is just a fantasy anyway.
Thanks for the link.

I've got a garage fill of big stuff, but to be honest I haven't been to an AMA field in quite a while. To me it was what I call "logistical overhead." By the time I pack the car, drive there, unpack and setup, it's the best part of an hour or even a bit more. With RC being just one of my hobbies (reloading, hunting, beer making, watch repair, among others) plus some honey-do list items, it's just not enough value/time trade off. So I made conscious move to small stuff I can fly in my yard on in a small park-let less than 100 yards away. But that's not for everyone, but it works for me.

I just think that the powerful stakeholders are rolling the dice that the module market won't last in the long run, and that the younger folks will go small (no Transpo to fields) and the dwindling die hards will go to FRIAs ... with latter becoming unsupportable due to declining membership.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:09 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Me, all the time. I have a meeting with a scout troop next week actually.
You have the numbers. Give us the breakdown of paid full members, Park Pilot Program members, under 19 years-old, seniors, family members, and honorary members.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:04 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If you're a member, go ahead and give your VP a call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.