Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Violation while flying a drone ... Can you lose your certificate?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Violation while flying a drone ... Can you lose your certificate?

Old 12-06-2022, 09:27 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Violation while flying a drone ... Can you lose your certificate?

Some are wondering if the FAA can take action against your certificate as a result of doing things you shouldn't do with a drone. Thankfully, the answer to this question is known, and a quick search produced this:

"Has the FAA Revoked or Suspended a Drone Pilot’s Certificate?
A: Yes, the FAA has brought certificate action enforcement cases against drone pilots. Of the 70 UAS enforcement action cases we analyzed, 5 of them resulted in a form of certificate action. 2 cases resulted in certificate revocation. 2 cases resulted in certificate suspension (170 day and 120 day periods). 1 case resulted in certificate revocation AND a $3,000 civil penalty."
Old 12-06-2022, 10:22 AM
ElectriMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why this is posted here. Can you enlighten me what the purpose might be? Who are the "some"?
Old 12-07-2022, 05:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 257 Likes on 206 Posts

He can't post on RC Groups where the discussion originated so he brought it here.

Interesting information though.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:24 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

and he knows that they all watch what is posted over here, so he leaves it here for them to see.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:10 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
Some are wondering if the FAA can take action against your certificate as a result of doing things you shouldn't do with a drone. Thankfully, the answer to this question is known, and a quick search produced this:
"Has the FAA Revoked or Suspended a Drone Pilot’s Certificate?
A: Yes, the FAA has brought certificate action enforcement cases against drone pilots. Of the 70 UAS enforcement action cases we analyzed, 5 of them resulted in a form of certificate action. 2 cases resulted in certificate revocation. 2 cases resulted in certificate suspension (170 day and 120 day periods). 1 case resulted in certificate revocation AND a $3,000 civil penalty."
I read it a couple of times and it's still not clear what "certificate" those enforcement actions were taken against as there's no other information. A Part 107 operator is also a "certificate" holder and I believe that's the case in a couple of those. One thing about Jonathan Rupprecht he's always drumming up business. Nothing like a helpful article to worry potential customers into paying for advice. He was also the lead attorney on the losing side in the RDQ Appeals Court case last July. Taking on a hobby RC case always seemed dodgy to me when his day job is representing commercial drone operators
Old 12-07-2022, 11:30 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

playing both sides against the middle is a cherished and time honored method of making money in the legal profession.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 257 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
playing both sides against the middle is a cherished and time honored method of making money in the legal profession.
LOL no kidding.

When I was getting divorced many years ago someone sent me what now would be a meme called "Family Law" and it was a cow with the wife pulling on the horns, the husband on the tail, and 2 lawyers milking dollar bills out of the udders.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:29 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
Brendan Schulman is another one. Back when he was the darling of RC over the Trappy case, Schulman used to show off a picture of himself at 20 years-old with his Kaos 40 to boost his traditional RC cred. It was around that time the hero Brendan Schulman drafted AMA's FPV lawsuit against the FAA in 2014. It made AMA subservient to the drone mob, a hole they never dug out of. Of course it was hand-in-hand with Rich Hanson trying to turn some of that Trappy magic into $$. Schulman then signed on with DJI and spent six years helping wreck the RC flying hobby. DJI came out smelling like a rose under the final rule because they basically wrote it. Surprise! All DJI drones comply with Remote ID!

Old 12-09-2022, 05:40 PM
ECHO24

So nobody knows about Brendan Schulman? He used to be a regular on the AMA Chat Shack until he joined DJI and had to shush on the public comments. I got into an exchange with him over his spin on the Trappy loss but I cut it short. He's a lawyer after all, you have to have your ducks in a row. I smelled a dead rat but didn't know then all the pieces of the drone/FPV scam.

You think he just magically went to DJI?

Last edited by ECHO24; 12-09-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:35 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectriMan View Post
I don't know why this is posted here. Can you enlighten me what the purpose might be? Who are the "some"?
Franklin posted this because he felt it was of some interest to those who want to be informed about the legal aspect of this hobby.
I don't know why you feel you need to comment about a thread that obviously doesn't interest you...?