Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Model Aeronautics Association Canada (MAAC) to ground members

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Model Aeronautics Association Canada (MAAC) to ground members

Old 12-19-2022, 10:52 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Model Aeronautics Association Canada (MAAC) to ground members

Franklin will be pleased as punch:

"The reason beggars belief, they have sanctioned flying sites within controlled airspace that have not done the paperwork and as such are non-compliant with NAV CANADA rules."
https://www.suasnews.com/2022/12/mod...eid=0c805b84d1
Old 12-20-2022, 02:19 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Franklin will be pleased as punch:

"The reason beggars belief, they have sanctioned flying sites within controlled airspace that have not done the paperwork and as such are non-compliant with NAV CANADA rules."
https://www.suasnews.com/2022/12/mod...eid=0c805b84d1
You bet I am. It's called following the rules. It's not that difficult. Accurate official filings. Oh the horror! Oh the imposition! Oh the injustice of it all! Gimme a break.

And it's actually not that hard. But what doesn't help is EC members encouraging people to submit false information. Or AMA members rationalizing their own actions in violation of two specific points in AMA safety code AND in violation of what FAA publishes. Sorry, play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Deservedly so.

Oh, and you think FAA isn't paying attention? Just wait and see what happens to AMA's CBO status when they notice the same thing...
Old 12-20-2022, 04:19 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

where is propworn when ya need him...
Old 12-21-2022, 05:20 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how many of the 13,000 MAAC members that are "grounded" right now, are actually experiencing WX that would be conducive to outdoor flying at the moment? LOL

Astro
Old 12-21-2022, 06:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Look at it this way, Astro. Right now, you are grounded due to the weather as much as I'm "beached" by it
Old 01-01-2023, 09:35 AM
S1Pitts
My Feedback: (4)

As a MAAC member since 1975 that has followed the rules and put such effort into growing this hobby Iam more than annoyed over this grounding. Especially over an infraction that has terrible optics thus far. The leadership of MAAC has been virtually silent and expect the members to take it on the chin. I cannot understand how this came to be and I don't have a clue what MAAC will look like when the dust settles.

Last edited by S1Pitts; 01-01-2023 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:54 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by S1Pitts
As a MAAC member since 1975 that has followed the rules and put such effort into growing this hobby Iam more than annoyed over this grounding. Especially over an infraction that has terrible optics thus far. The leadership of MAAC has been virtually silent and expect the members to take it on the chin. I cannot understand how this came to be and I don't have a clue what MAAC will look like when the dust settles.
Everywhere I look I see signs of the Ruling Class Elite taking more and more liberty from the goyim masses.
It's always done in small bites incrementally.
The clever way they typically use...is to convince the goy that there is a crisis that necessitates the removal of their liberties and that they must submit to the creation of more restrictions.
I believe the Elite are not above creating "False Flag Events" in order to convince the goy that drastic measures must be taken to ensure their "freedom".....
Young people who have been raised in a world with less freedom take this for granted because they have no other point of reference.
They are much easier for the Social Engineers to "Obedience Train" and to brain wash via their vast mass media empire.

Last edited by combatpigg; 01-01-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:14 PM
Propworn

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
I wonder how many of the 13,000 MAAC members that are "grounded" right now, are actually experiencing WX that would be conducive to outdoor flying at the moment? LOL

Astro
We have a hardy lot who engage in winter flying with events in our club called numbums LOL. I often wondered if the reference was to the event or the guys attending. The harsher the conditions the more challanging to get out there. We also have a badge/recognition for those who put in at least one flight every month.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:52 PM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Everywhere I look I see signs of the Ruling Class Elite taking more and more liberty from the goyim masses.
It's always done in small bites incrementally.
The clever way they typically use...is to convince the goy that there is a crisis that necessitates the removal of their liberties and that they must submit to the creation of more restrictions.
I believe the Elite are not above creating "False Flag Events" in order to convince the goy that drastic measures must be taken to ensure their "freedom".....
Young people who have been raised in a world with less freedom take this for granted because they have no other point of reference.
They are much easier for the Social Engineers to "Obedience Train" and to brain wash via their vast mass media empire.
You ain't seen nothin' yet!
Do an internet search on the phrase "Great Reset".
"You will own nothing, and you will be HAPPY!" They want to make it sound like a promise.
It's more of a threat. "You WILL own nothing, and you WILL be happy!"
Old 01-01-2023, 02:13 PM
combatpigg

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
You ain't seen nothin' yet!
Do an internet search on the phrase "Great Reset".
"You will own nothing, and you will be HAPPY!" They want to make it sound like a promise.
It's more of a threat. "You WILL own nothing, and you WILL be happy!"
YEP..!
..but isn't this just a "TIN FOIL HAT CONSPIRACY THEORY".... []......?
Just between you and me I think we have more people than ever before who are beginning to see what George Orwell tried to warn future generations of freedom loving people about 80 - 90 years ago.
As the world becomes more and more populated and people become more and more difficult to monitor and control..what we see happening today was entirely predictable.
So OK everyone..nothing to see here..please move along....please everyone, just lower your eyes and chew your cud......we have everything perfectly under control....

Last edited by combatpigg; 01-01-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:24 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I just looked at the MAAC website, and neither in "NOTAMS"

https://www.maac.ca/en/notam.php

Nor in "Recent news"

https://www.maac.ca/en/news.php

can I find any mention of a nationwide standdown ????? Can anyone point me to where on MAAC's website the standdown is posted?

In fact, the only thing a Google search turned up on it was this article, dated Dec 19, in "SUAS News"

https://www.suasnews.com/2022/12/mod...round-members/
Old 01-02-2023, 10:29 AM
init4fun

This excerpt from the SUAS article sure makes it look like the SUAS group is pushing the whole "one hobby" thing pretty hard here ;

"Also, as a group, if you only have 13k members best start embracing new forms of an old hobby so you have a bigger voice.

My money is on there being more DJI fliers in Ottawa than total members of the MAAC.

I wonder if the RPAS Wilco app gave MAAC members away."

Last edited by init4fun; 01-02-2023 at 12:25 PM. Reason: damn typos ;)
Old 01-02-2023, 12:03 PM
combatpigg

In Canada do you have to submit stamped proof of vaccination compliance to fly RC [unless of course if you're an Illegal Immigrant] ...?

Old 01-02-2023, 12:31 PM
S1Pitts
My Feedback: (4)

combatpigg - No vaccination stamp of any type required to fly r/c.

The general maac membership were informed of the grounding through the regional zone directors or their assistants by email if the memeber had one on record..Club presidents were contacted directly in order to spread the knowledge of the mandate through the clubs in a timely manor..

I have no doubt there are more rogue drone pilots operating drones in restricted areas than all of MAAC and AMA members conbined. My realtor came over when listing my house for sale last year and did an aerial video of the house and neighbourhood which was located well within a airport no fly zone. I asked him after seeing the video in the listing if he was a qualified drone pilot, etc and he asked why? His drone was well over the 250gram limit and he had no knowlege of any restrictions or regulations to use it..
I believe these guys are more of a danger to air traffic than organized modelers who have an inkling.or two about flying safely.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:44 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by S1Pitts
combatpigg - No vaccination stamp of any type required to fly r/c.

I was being sarcastic...but no amount of government over reach would surprise me either.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:29 PM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I was being sarcastic...but no amount of government over reach would surprise me either.
I'm just wondering when the US Federal Railroad Administration will come knocking on my door and tell me I'm running my model railroad in conflict with accepted standards and practices.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:35 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I'm just wondering when the US Federal Railroad Administration will come knocking on my door and tell me I'm running my model railroad in conflict with accepted standards and practices.
SHHHH...!!
Once they outlaw model railroads..then only outlaws will have model railroads.
As long as you keep your Train Operator's License current and do the 24 hours worth of accredited "continuing education" as well as get your Low Voltage Electricians License [if you want to assemble your own track without a permit or safety inspection]....I don't think you'll have any problems.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:34 PM
init4fun

I figure once I plug this monster in the Federal model railroad administration will bust the door in and haul me off to the Lionelville jail.......

Old 01-02-2023, 04:58 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by init4fun
I figure once I plug this monster in the Federal model railroad administration will bust the door in and haul me off to the Lionelville jail.......
Howdy Init4fun..!
that's the exact xfmr that came with the train set I was given as a kid. Those were big cars, I'd guess the locomotive weighed 5 pounds..
You could put smoke pellets down the smoke stack...[I guess it had a heating element]
IIRC the coal car had the whistle, there was a Minute Man Missle Car and also a self propelled "tie-ejector" car with a gravelly sound when it ran
I tried to get my son and his friends to stop playing nintendo long enough to play with it...with no luck
So in the early 1990s I advertised it for X amount of dollars and the only responses I got were from angry "Railroad Guys" who were whining about my price being too high.
I eventually sold it to some kid's Mom or some man's wife for my asking price.
Whatever the price was that I got.....it's probably worth 10 times more now...?
Old 01-02-2023, 05:10 PM
init4fun

Hi CP, I've had this one since the mid 1960s, and have powered several different layouts with it. The most recent layout, which now all resides in boxes in my basement, was set up in a 20' X 15' pool house at my former house. Since I downsized I really haven't found the right place to set it all up and so it sits (I went from a 4 bedroom raised ranch with an attached 2 car garage and an in ground swimming pool with it's adjacent pool house, to a much smaller two bedroom house, the perils of advancing age I guess).

Someday, , perhaps......
Old 01-02-2023, 07:11 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi CP, I've had this one since the mid 1960s, and have powered several different layouts with it. The most recent layout, which now all resides in boxes in my basement, was set up in a 20' X 15' pool house at my former house. Since I downsized I really haven't found the right place to set it all up and so it sits (I went from a 4 bedroom raised ranch with an attached 2 car garage and an in ground swimming pool with it's adjacent pool house, to a much smaller two bedroom house, the perils of advancing age I guess).

Someday, , perhaps......
Well it makes sense to sell high and not live in any more house than you need...!
Thankfully I live where Seniors get 50% off on property tax..so my "rent" works out to $150 /month and God provides 1/2 of my energy needs with more fallen trees all over the place.than I can cut up, split and find room to stash.