Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Amazon Drone manager fired for Raising Safety Concerns

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Amazon Drone manager fired for Raising Safety Concerns

Old 01-17-2023, 10:29 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Amazon Drone manager fired for Raising Safety Concerns

Amazon has spent billions and had 8 drones crash in one year, with one starting a 25 acre brush fire. There is something fishy about the whole drone delivery thing when Amazon themselves admit it costs $63 per delivery. That's not a business decision for delivering toothpaste. Maybe these things will become flying cell towers but it's anyone's guess what's really going on.

https://techxplore.com/news/2023-01-...ne-safety.html
Old 01-18-2023, 12:01 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

"During times of universal deceit...telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"....George Orwell

Once the day arrives that someone gets killed by greedy Amazon driven drones...I hope that those who are responsible get put to death with extreme and swift prejudice .

Last edited by combatpigg; 01-18-2023 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:08 AM
aymodeler

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way that drone delivery ever scales economically. Simple physics will tell you that the amount of energy required to keep a load aloft by pushing air down with a fan is going to make this wildly inefficient. One small drone carrying one package is no big deal, but scale that out to the massive number of deliveries Amazon makes every second of every day and the numbers explode. Add to that the logistics cost associated with operating and maintaining an enormous fleet of individual small machines and the costs skyrocket even higher. I can see drone deliveries for certain highly time sensitive items (possibly for certain medical items), but not as a general vehicle for general package delivery.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:38 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

It's always been my belief it was just a marketing scam,, can't count how much free press Amazon got on this impractical idea

What does this have to do with the AMA?
Old 01-18-2023, 10:56 AM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me

What does this have to do with the AMA?
Stories about drones buzzing all around us should be of some interest to AMA Members who now find ourselves subject to government restrictions that only a science fiction writer could have visualized 50 years ago.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:05 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

So the story about a bonehead wrongful termination law suit is absolutely of no concern to me as a AMA Member or as a RC hobby guy.

It's just one more free exposure story for Amazon
Old 01-18-2023, 12:23 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
So the story about a bonehead wrongful termination law suit is absolutely of no concern to me as a AMA Member or as a RC hobby guy.

It's just one more free exposure story for Amazon
Well I wont waste any time trying to explain what the underlying concern is here.