Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Well spent members' money...

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Well spent members' money...

Old 04-08-2023, 05:03 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

LOL, a smart fellow would figure out that the pictured helicopter is not in flyable condition. Notice the broken/missing ball links.Telemetry was on the sailplane.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:47 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
LOL, someone who cared would figure out that the pictured helicopter is not in flyable condition. Notice the broken/missing ball links.Telemetry was on the sailplane.
Fixed that for ya.

Astro
Old 04-08-2023, 05:59 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wrong on the missing ball links. That is a first generation Heli-Boy which did not yet have bell mixers. Collective pitch with direct Hiller flybar control. Also two piece brass flybar weights. Very stable, smooth flying heli.

Bell mixers later became an option and were included in Gen 2 kits. Made the Heli-Boy the first insanely aerobatic RC helicopter. Later flybar weights resembled elongated wheel collars.

I still have an original NIB Heli-Boy kit.

Now, back to you boys bashing each other.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:59 PM
speedracerntrixie

Somebody who didn’t care would have kept his trap shut.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:06 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Dick T.
Wrong on the missing ball links. That is a first generation Heli-Boy which did not yet have bell mixers. Collective pitch with direct Hiller flybar control. Also two piece brass flybar weights. Very stable, smooth flying heli.

Bell mixers later became an option and were included in Gen 2 kits. Made the Heli-Boy the first insanely aerobatic RC helicopter. Later flybar weights resembled elongated wheel collars.

I still have an original NIB Heli-Boy kit.

Now, back to you boys bashing each other.
LOL Dick. When I bought my first Heli Boy in 1983 it had the Bell/Hiller mixing arms and gave the option to install them or to omit them and have Hiller only control. They referred the Hiller only option as trainer mode. I’ve already located the Bell mixers on EBay and ordered them. The bushings may take some searching. If you look at the second picture you will notice the Hiller pushrod has a broken link at the Swashplate. Something that was missed in Astro’s haste to attempt to annoy me.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:58 PM
astrohog

Something that was missed in Astro’s haste to attempt to annoy me.
LOL. As usual, in reality, you fired the first shot.... But you go right ahead and live in your self-righteous, delusional, little world.

Astro
Old 04-08-2023, 07:12 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by astrohog
That thing's got telemetry?

Maybe it was your 5-digit trained eye...

Astro
Wrong again, this was the first shot. I didn’t appreciate your sarcasm. You couldn’t even come up with anything original, you had to parrot Franklin. So go ahead and dig in because you weren’t bright enough to see that the helicopter wasn’t in flyable condition and you ignored the other aircraft I mentioned. You were in such a hurry to harass me that you made a fool of yourself. That’s becoming a common thing with you.

And yes I’m fully aware that you will mount a rebuttal, I realize that in your Woke brain that you believe your silly conclusions. Don’t make them reality.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:12 PM
astrohog

had a max altitude of 399’.
pretty sophomoric, really........'nuff said.......

Astro
Old 04-09-2023, 10:57 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE........'nuff said.......Astro[/QUOTE]

That will never happen.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:21 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Dick T.
[QUOTE........'nuff said.......Astro
That will never happen.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. I guess he can’t figure out that Jeti makes an altimeter switch that is fully programmable that will turn off an ESC at any given altitude. Mine is set to 120 meters when I fly at that particular site. There wasn’t sufficient lift of Saturday morning to increase altitude after launch. We all have seen him act out when things he doesn’t understand are mentioned. Then his woke mentality allows him to believe everything he claims.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:16 PM
astrohog

More unfounded and untrue claims that the resident narcissist pulls out of thin air! LOL

Astro
Old 04-09-2023, 12:37 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by astrohog
That thing's got telemetry?

Maybe it was your 5-digit trained eye...

Astro
You jump in with this BS and then call me a Narcissist and claim that I fired the first shot? More Woke mumbo jumbo.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:29 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
This is hardly a complex website. There's software that will even check for broken links.

And where is the ED in all this? He's clearly not checking work. And he clearly hasn't implemented processes to ensure work is checked by SOMEONE before it goes live. We keep hearing that "...they're so busy..." Well, maybe they should focus on basics? Holding people accountable for doing their jobs correctly?

A quote comes to mind: "Never confuse activity with action" - Ernest Hemingway
Howdy Franklin...The AMA GOV Blog is up and running now.
I don't have the stomach to read any of their self gratulatory ridiculousness.
*If they want to earn back our respect they should submit some apologies and admissions of self interest conflicts and all out ineptitude.

Last edited by combatpigg; 04-09-2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:44 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Howdy Franklin...
The AMA blog looks like a "RIP ROARIN' success.....so far there is 1 very nice post from a 87 year old widow whose husband was pretty heavily involved with the sport back in the day.
No doubt the AMA had a commitee full of their brightest minds collaborate on this project that has already paid off with such rich dividends.
The phone must be ringing off the hook at the AMA's heavily staffed MEMBERSHIP CALL CENTER right now.......

Really though, how much effort should be placed on an aspect that 99% of the membership couldn’t care less about. Aside from my emphasis on competition, I consider myself a typical AMA member. I come to this conclusion by not only knowing many members but as a member of 44 years. Keeping that in mind, my major concern is that I am able to join that provides me with recognized liability insurance that is accepted by my home clubs and any other AMA clubs that I may wish to visit. Beyond that, I really don’t care. I’m not alone in that view, not by a long shot. The average guy accesses the AMA web site once a year, to renew their membership.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:11 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

actually, i kinda doubt that the average member is in the computer literate crowd. as in, they still renew by mail
Old 04-10-2023, 03:55 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by mongo
actually, i kinda doubt that the average member is in the computer literate crowd. as in, they still renew by mail

Good point, I do communicate with many members of the clubs that I have membership via Facebook and smart phone. Either text, Messenger or a call. Maybe more than you think are computer literate but will agree it’s most likely in the minority. IMO makes spending money on the web site even less of a priority.
Old 04-10-2023, 05:10 AM
aymodeler

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Really though, how much effort should be placed on an aspect that 99% of the membership couldn’t care less about. Aside from my emphasis on competition, I consider myself a typical AMA member. I come to this conclusion by not only knowing many members but as a member of 44 years. Keeping that in mind, my major concern is that I am able to join that provides me with recognized liability insurance that is accepted by my home clubs and any other AMA clubs that I may wish to visit. Beyond that, I really don’t care. I’m not alone in that view, not by a long shot. The average guy accesses the AMA web site once a year, to renew their membership.
I tend to agree that the average club member is not likely to engage with the AMA website that often. But I do think that communicating through contemporary platforms is a huge missed opportunity for the AMA. If the AMA wants to attract new/younger members (as it needs to do), then it needs to be present and active in a compelling way in places where those prospective members are. Platforms like TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, etc. just like FlitTest is. A website will remain a critical part of that communications platform, but only to back up and support the other platforms. Facebook is still important, but really only for us old farts and is almost totally ignored by anyone born after 1990 (pretty much only used to post pics of the grandkids for us boomers to see).

IMO, the issue that needs to be discussed is how the AMA is using technology to promote the hobby, not some minor glitch (that was probably resolved well within hosting company's uptime SLA anyway).
Old 04-10-2023, 06:13 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by aymodeler
I tend to agree that the average club member is not likely to engage with the AMA website that often. But I do think that communicating through contemporary platforms is a huge missed opportunity for the AMA. If the AMA wants to attract new/younger members (as it needs to do), then it needs to be present and active in a compelling way in places where those prospective members are. Platforms like TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, etc. just like FlitTest is. A website will remain a critical part of that communications platform, but only to back up and support the other platforms. Facebook is still important, but really only for us old farts and is almost totally ignored by anyone born after 1990 (pretty much only used to post pics of the grandkids for us boomers to see).

IMO, the issue that needs to be discussed is how the AMA is using technology to promote the hobby, not some minor glitch (that was probably resolved well within hosting company's uptime SLA anyway).
I don’t disagree and if you look at the back of your AMA card you will see the platforms that AMA has a presence. The issue comes down to interest. I’ve used the example of a $400 bottle of wine several times. There is no amount of advertising/promotion that will convince me to shell out $400 for a bottle of wine. Ain’t gonna happen. Now I fully understand that there are those who do and that helps keep that industry alive. To the younger generation we ( R/C aviation ) are that bottle of wine. Our hobby is initially expensive, doesn’t offer immediate success/gratification. An XBox offers instant fun and they don’t need to listen to an old fart drone on about safety. A smart phone links them to the whole planet and they get to talk crap without any accountability. Our own forum is a great example of that.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:44 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t disagree and if you look at the back of your AMA card you will see the platforms that AMA has a presence. The issue comes down to interest. I’ve used the example of a $400 bottle of wine several times. There is no amount of advertising/promotion that will convince me to shell out $400 for a bottle of wine. Ain’t gonna happen. Now I fully understand that there are those who do and that helps keep that industry alive. To the younger generation we ( R/C aviation ) are that bottle of wine. Our hobby is initially expensive, doesn’t offer immediate success/gratification. An XBox offers instant fun and they don’t need to listen to an old fart drone on about safety. A smart phone links them to the whole planet and they get to talk crap without any accountability. Our own forum is a great example of that.
Having spent considerable $$ on Armenian Brandy, I'm probably of the type that enjoys that fine wine. Especially given my preferred brandy does almost zero advertising or promotion.

The above though hits on some points I'd like to emphasize. Whether it's the imported brandy I enjoy, the bottle of fine wine, the hobby of R/C aviation as envisioned by Speedy (no disparagement, just his definition of typical RC), or the drone crowd (multiple categories), or even the Xbox crowd, it all comes down to values, priorities, and something I call overhead. If I value something, and it ranks high enough on my list of priorities, then it comes down to overhead as to whether I'll engage or not. Overhead being entry cost, continuing costs, maintenance and upgrade costs, availability of the "stuff" I need to participate, ease of participation (effort, travel distance, time, etc.).

If one notices, the "overhead" for an Xbox is basically up front cost. As for availability & ease of participation, both are favorable. You can find an Xbox in a lot of places and ease of participation is a simple as walking something inside your home. Contrast that with some of the things that might be considered overhead for RC aviation: high up front costs, lower availability (local hobby shop and/or fewer manufacturers), some level of continuing costs, maintenance costs (and time), logistics (getting to/from suitable site), plus things like AMA fees and club fees (if so inclined). For the drone crowd, for the sake of discussion I'm going to assume they're somewhere in between in terms of overhead. While entry cost is relatively high, I think it's fair to say there's better availability of sites to participate (particularly non-racing) and a decent supply of manufacturers. Continuing costs are at least comparable with RC, or could be lower or higher depending on type/style of flying.

Point being, one of the major impediments for the AMA style of participation vs. FliteTest is the latter does seem to minimize the overhead in several categories. Fly just about anywhere, low cost of entry (comparatively) with their designs. Compatibility of designs that easily enable transfer of equipment from one aircraft to another for little more than cost of some new foam board and tape. And then there's the no requirement for membership dues etc. But in total, the overhead is, by most measures, lower.

If indeed AMA is looking to grow using methods other than by using some form of forced membership, then I submit they need to find ways to lower the overhead wherever possible.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:25 AM
speedracerntrixie

Holy cow…..a Franklin post that I agree with except for only one single point. The Flite Test SOP of no fixed sites. Eventually you will have to add the cost of a RID module to that mix. The official start date on that is September of this year. The cost at this point is $250-$300 and they are not exactly readily available. I have a strong feeling that the date of compliance will be pushed out again.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:41 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy cow…..a Franklin post that I agree with except for only one single point. The Flite Test SOP of no fixed sites. Eventually you will have to add the cost of a RID module to that mix. The official start date on that is September of this year. The cost at this point is $250-$300 and they are not exactly readily available. I have a strong feeling that the date of compliance will be pushed out again.
Agree on FliteTest, but I didn't want t make a universal statement of NO fixed sites. If they establish even one, then the statement is untrue. So I just stayed away from it.

And yes, the cost of an RID module is an additional up front cost. But some number of AMA type folks are going to need those too, so I don't know that it's a huge discriminator. Especially given that it's easily transferable, prices are expected to come down in time (lowering "overhead"), and non-compliance will likely be high until prices come down some.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:01 AM
speedracerntrixie

Again, mostly in agreement here. I would take exception to the RID module being easily transferable. Many sailplanes won’t have room for them in the canopy area so they will have to be “ buried “ farther inside the fuselage. The 1/2A speeders that CP enjoys would have a hard time not only with fit but the additional weight of the module and additional capacity RX battery needed to operate his existing equipment plus the module.

In the overall scheme of things, probably a small percentage but should still be considered.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:41 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

..............I would take exception to the RID module being easily transferable............
If the modules are cheap enough, and if we're allowed to have more than one per person, I'd be inclined to buy a few of them and put them in the planes that I fly at a locally allowed non AMA field. At the AMA club field I belong to since the FRIA would cover that, those planes would be without the module.

And if multiples aren't allowed, I guess bouncing the same one from plane to plane is gonna have to be the way it is.....
Old 04-10-2023, 01:44 PM
aymodeler

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Agree on FliteTest, but I didn't want t make a universal statement of NO fixed sites. If they establish even one, then the statement is untrue. So I just stayed away from it.

And yes, the cost of an RID module is an additional up front cost. But some number of AMA type folks are going to need those too, so I don't know that it's a huge discriminator. Especially given that it's easily transferable, prices are expected to come down in time (lowering "overhead"), and non-compliance will likely be high until prices come down some.
I tend to believe that FliteTest represents the direction the hobby is moving. Low initial barriers to entry, high emphasis on "fun", no judgement, broadly welcoming to different ways of enjoying the hobby (quads, cheap foamies, big planes, little planes, emphasis on scale, emphasis on performance, and everything in between). I am seeing more and more 3D printed planes in this universe, too (and some with a remarkable amount of detail). However, I do think FliteTest need to take safety a bit more seriously (i.e.; no more flying planes through open bonfires and/or almost directly over the heads of spectators, and/or launching planes from moving vehicles, etc. etc.).

While I tend to agree that they have no desire to be the regulating body for fixed sites (i.e.; club chartered fields), they do have their own "fixed" site that they operate from and I suspect that more and more organic groups will tend to form around facilities and locations where they can reliably and routinely operate, which in turn will require some sort of administration, maintenance and ultimately governance (in other words, a "club" field by another name). My guess is that they will operate more or less autonomously from FTCA, perhaps only using them as and avenue to obtain FRIA status. I also firmly believe that costs of RID will only continue to come down to the point where it will be a non-issue (although it may take a few years for that to happen).
Old 04-10-2023, 01:52 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

next thing ya know, cats and dogs will be starting to sleep together...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.