Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Time for the AMA to step up

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Time for the AMA to step up

Old 05-18-2023, 06:18 AM
  #76  
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)
 
Propworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,429
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

It will be interesting in the race for the cheapest remote ID module which ones actually get aproval by the FAA.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:42 PM
  #77  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,664
Received 307 Likes on 249 Posts
Default

There are several already approved.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:21 PM
  #78  
FUTABA-RC
 
FUTABA-RC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,409
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Remote ID is not required at a FRIA.

It will be after the RID goes into effect until the FRIA is approved. Unlikely FRIA approval will happen before RID effective date.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:51 AM
  #79  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,831
Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
It will be after the RID goes into effect until the FRIA is approved. Unlikely FRIA approval will happen before RID effective date.
If the FRIA application is not approved then the site is NOT a FRIA.😒
Old 05-28-2023, 06:09 AM
  #80  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,546
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill
If the FRIA application is not approved then the site is NOT a FRIA.😒
Exactly.

This month's MA has article where it sounds like a club did it right. Some wanted to hold a soaring event at the site, and club leadership told them (paraphrase) "Show us the written waiver to the 400 limit..." to which they could not. So club decided to not jeopardize their FRIA application by hosting event they knew or should know is in violation of the law. BZ to the club for thinking long term and making sure that if anyone looks, the FAA sees them as "doing it right" when nobody is looking.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:38 AM
  #81  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,425
Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Exactly.

This month's MA has article where it sounds like a club did it right. Some wanted to hold a soaring event at the site, and club leadership told them (paraphrase) "Show us the written waiver to the 400 limit..." to which they could not. So club decided to not jeopardize their FRIA application by hosting event they knew or should know is in violation of the law. BZ to the club for thinking long term and making sure that if anyone looks, the FAA sees them as "doing it right" when nobody is looking.

Here is the actual article. Also keep in mind that lead time on print articles is typically 3 months, this information is 3 months old.




Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 05-28-2023 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:53 AM
  #82  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,546
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Here is the actual article. Also keep in mind that lead time on print articles is typically 3 months, this information is 3 months old.
1. Was there anything I said untrue?
2. Why does the fact that it's three months old make any difference?
3. Writer even comments that late news was 700 or 1200 was forthcoming, but then indicates that's not enough.

If you look at the airspace around Taft CA (area of the state with which I'm very familiar), you see that the floor of the class G in that area is 1200, which is the max they'll get unless they hold their events in controlled airspace. But that comes with more strings. You'll also note several Victor airways very close to Taft: V173, T263, V183; not to mention low altitude military training routes, VR1262 and VR1256.

I personally think it's a mistake that AMA isn't starting to shape the expectations of members like this, that with few exceptions, either 700 or 1200 is the likely max they can expect in class G. I personally don't see FAA approving any higher than that, as most airways begin at those altitudes. And, unlike airspace around busy airports, the primary radar coverage is lacking in class G. And given the impact on other Victor Airways above 1200, I don't see FAA vectoring off Victor Airways to avoid people flying toys.

Last edited by franklin_m; 05-28-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:52 AM
  #83  
FUTABA-RC
 
FUTABA-RC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,409
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill
If the FRIA application is not approved then the site is NOT a FRIA.😒

The point I was trying to make is this:

Say the RID goes into effect in September as scheduled. If you fly at a site with a pending FRIA application that has not yet been approved then you will need a module in your model until the FRIA application is approved. Once the FRIA application is approved you will no longer need to have a module in your plane.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:30 PM
  #84  
mongo
My Feedback: (15)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 3,442
Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

details, some folk like to make em into mountains,
then try to move them to mohamed...

most of us, understood your intended meaning and accepted it.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:36 AM
  #85  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,425
Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
The point I was trying to make is this:

Say the RID goes into effect in September as scheduled. If you fly at a site with a pending FRIA application that has not yet been approved then you will need a module in your model until the FRIA application is approved. Once the FRIA application is approved you will no longer need to have a module in your plane.
Iím hoping that the date will get pushed out again. The Modules arenít what I would call ď readily available ď meaning that if every R/C pilot ordered one at this point the few manufacturers canít deliver the quantities. The price is also well above what the FAA anticipated.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:19 AM
  #86  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,425
Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Long game LOL

Yep, the FAA sure is playing the long game.


FAA Altitude waiver NOTAM
Old 06-11-2023, 03:31 AM
  #87  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,664
Received 307 Likes on 249 Posts
Default

I actually flew at an event this weekend with an altitude NOTAM, CD said it was a very easy process.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:56 AM
  #88  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,425
Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

IMO, if anyone puts their bias aside it’s pretty clear that the FAA is working with the CBA’s and aviation stakeholders in order to ease some of the initial regulations so we can continue our hobby as before. Yes there is a bit more work these days but the end result is driving out to a local club field and fly as we always have. I understand that some avoid the club atmosphere, that is their choice to make.
Old 06-11-2023, 07:09 AM
  #89  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,664
Received 307 Likes on 249 Posts
Default

I just saw the re-authorization bill drafts and there's more of the same, working with the CBO's and easing some restrictions.
Old 06-11-2023, 01:55 PM
  #90  
Hobby Inn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I understand that some avoid the club atmosphere, that is their choice to make.
Yes, we always have a choice, but a 140 mile round trip to the nearest club makes it more difficult for some, than for others.

Last edited by Hobby Inn; 06-11-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:08 PM
  #91  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,425
Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobby Inn
Yes, we always have a choice, but a 140 mile round trip to the nearest club makes it more difficult for some, than for others.
Again, your choice on where to live.
Old 06-11-2023, 05:11 PM
  #92  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,458
Received 127 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Again, your choice on where to live.
Not necessarily. I live where I do because of the location as well as the prices of houses and utilities when the wife and I bought the one we live in. It wasn't as much a choice as it was a necessity to buy what and where we did.
Old 06-11-2023, 05:25 PM
  #93  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,425
Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Not necessarily. I live where I do because of the location as well as the prices of houses and utilities when the wife and I bought the one we live in. It wasn't as much a choice as it was a necessity to buy what and where we did.

Then the choice would have been to continue with a hobby that requires a certain amount of travel. Regardless there are choices involved.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:00 AM
  #94  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,458
Received 127 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Then the choice would have been to continue with a hobby that requires a certain amount of travel. Regardless there are choices involved.
So, let me see if I understand your last few posts. You're saying that, if someone would have to drive 140 miles to fly at a FRIA that either doesn't want or can't afford to should find another hobby?
IF I'm reading that correctly, you're telling me that, since I drove between 180 and 190 miles yesterday to go to an R/C boat race, I should find another hobby if I am unable to afford the drive(which, for the record, cost me half a tank of gas in my truck) or don't want to waste the time to do so.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:32 AM
  #95  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,425
Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
So, let me see if I understand your last few posts. You're saying that, if someone would have to drive 140 miles to fly at a FRIA that either doesn't want or can't afford to should find another hobby?
IF I'm reading that correctly, you're telling me that, since I drove between 180 and 190 miles yesterday to go to an R/C boat race, I should find another hobby if I am unable to afford the drive(which, for the record, cost me half a tank of gas in my truck) or don't want to waste the time to do so.
No, Iím saying that if you pursue a hobby that requires travel time and expense that is the choice that you have made.

Now that RID is eventually going to be a requirement, either get a module or fly at a FRIA. If neither of those choices are agreeable to you then the options are now fly illegally or quit.

Honestly though, youíve been talking about finishing your airplanes for years now, is this really a concern of yours?
Old 06-12-2023, 08:37 AM
  #96  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,458
Received 127 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

In a word, YES!!!
If I took your last several posts to mean what I posted, how many others took them the same way?
I spent a considerable amount of time, yesterday, talking with new and prospective club members and encouraging them. Had I said to them "If traveling or costs are an issue, find another hobby", what would they have done? For someone that's thinking about getting into the hobby, they would have walked away and and never looked back. For the new members, each of which had already bought a used boat, we would have probably seen every one of their boats in the club website "For Sale" area or on Ebay
Old 06-12-2023, 09:34 AM
  #97  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,425
Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

First off, if they were at the lake or flying field they are already aware of the travel time/expense. I also think that the best policy is to give any perspective newbie all the required information so they can make an informed decision.

You really need to stop trying to make more out of my posts then what is actually there.
Old 06-13-2023, 05:27 AM
  #98  
ElectriMan
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: East Coast of Wisconsin
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

How Long?

Old 06-13-2023, 10:19 AM
  #99  
mongo
My Feedback: (15)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 3,442
Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

Well,
obviously,
not quite long enough, yet
Old 06-13-2023, 01:36 PM
  #100  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,458
Received 127 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

As far as I'm concerned, the "attitude" has gone on too long as demonstrated by the last several posts

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.