Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

RID Postponement: FAA's Unenforceable Threat

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

RID Postponement: FAA's Unenforceable Threat

Old 10-05-2023, 11:57 AM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick T.
Bruce Simpson (Xjet on YouTube) raises some interesting points about RID, Part 102, YouTube monetizing vs. Part 102, and FAA lack of qualifications required for Ultralight class vs. Recreational RC Flying.

Like him or not, good points here.
I'm well aware of Bruce Simpson. He and I are on a first-name basis. I have some comments on that video. When he's not flat out lying Bruce's whole pitch is to support his telling his not so bright followers to break the law and ignore the FAA and any and all rules. They'd jump off a bridge if Bruce told them so.

All of these type xjet episodes are contrived as cover for the his criminality and all are blown out of proportion. The ultralight thing has been a trope for FPVers from day one. How often are ultralights in the news for being a nuisance or at all? Flight Test are not Part 107 either.

YouTube FPV influencers here have toned down the calls to break they law because THEY ARE under Part 107 and subject more scrutiny if they put out illegal FPV videos. Bruce shoots his mouth off because he is 4,000 miles away in New Zealand and out of reach of the FAA. The other point is, if you are making money with drones just get on with it. Part 107 is not that big a deal. Bruce is an idiot basically.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:27 PM
ECHO24

My favorite comment on that video is from this guy:

"I appreciate your concern but don’t “we” from another country. You are not “we”

And seriously your going to bus drive Peter? Piss off mate."

(Bruce's intro) "I want to talk about my dis-appointment with the F-A-A ...." From 4,000 miles away in New Zealand on something that has nothing at all to do with me.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:44 PM
ECHO24

Just as I posted that about Patrick Egan he emailed me back! Since he did answer I now feel obligated to answer him back.

PatricK Egan goes way back in RC, to the first negotiations with the FAA in the late 1990's which led up to Section 336 in 2012. In his telling it was he, Patrick Egan, who said to Rich Hanson that the FAA is going to take over RC so the AMA better get cracking do something. Egan has a way with words. He's written several funny articles for sUAS News on AMA's stupidity, the absurdities of the FAA, the ARCs, decisions etc., and the drone thing in general.

I have spoken to Patrick Egan a couple of times and thought he might get a laugh out of the Chatgpt legal opinion, another FAA absurdity. So I sent it to him and we exchanged a couple of emails.

Gary Mortimer, editor of sUAS, penned an article years ago in which he threatened AMA with the loss of support of the drone community, implying using the reach of sUAS News, unless AMA supported the droners.

I brought up the Gary Mortimore article threatening AMA and said that I could never forgive Gary Mortimore for that. I also said I could never figure out how he (Patrick Egan), a supposed hobby advocate fit in at sUAS News.

Patrick Egan rolled past Mortimore's article threatening AMA and said that "they", the two of them, were trying to help AMA then.

That was enough for me. I said he had sold out and was now a Big Drone hack and don't ever contact me again.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:23 PM
ECHO24

The kicker here is Rich Hanson didn't need any convincing. He was salivating at 1,000,000 droners sending AMA $75 per year, $75,000,000 in extra cash per year for AMA to roll around in, with no extra overhead, if Hanson had pulled off the forced membership scheme and the the law was changed that you either had to be Part 107 or belong to a CBO.

Even half that Rich Hanson by now would have retired and be a rich man set for life. Which is why the other boobs at AMA went along with it. They would have cashed out half-rich. Now Hanson is back working for a salary, and $100,000 per doesn't go very far nowadays.

There is still plenty to talk about.

Tell me again that guy at RCGroups about "completely ignorant of the facts or totally irrational". Please share with us the pure love of RC flying at AMA.

Last edited by ECHO24; 10-05-2023 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Hanson doesn't have a salary as AMA president, there's no retirement plans or anything other than a travel budget.

Rolling in cash, that's pretty funny right there.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:15 PM
ECHO24

Hanson was making 100K plus previously as Pres. Glad to see his humility in defeat. That doesn't change the fact that Hanson all but destroyed the model aircraft over his greed. It is another example how one person can bring down an entire organization,
Old 10-05-2023, 04:19 PM
ECHO24

Nothing left for the near-senile Hanson to do but trimming the landscaping at home or putter around AMA is what you're saying.

"Would have been swimming in cash" had the hair-brained scheme worked.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:25 PM
ECHO24

So you're saying Hanson is not drawing a pension from AMA?
Old 10-05-2023, 04:26 PM
ECHO24

How much?
Old 10-05-2023, 08:38 PM
ECHO24

80K/yr? Plus medical 15K/yr (& dependents)? The last guy's goodbye present was 300K. Hanson's? Nice work if you can find it.

Yeah, the guy's a saint for showing up for free coffee and lunch everyday at AMA headquarters. After burning down the hobby.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:27 AM
ECHO24

Hey DickT. Like everything else Bruce Simpson is laughably uninformed about ultralights.

I taught people to fly ultralights and had 3 of them, a two-seat Eipper I gave instruction in, a single-seat Eipper (28'WS) I rented out and a Chinook (32' WS). Older RC guys were the hardest to get through to that the smallest thing in an airplane can kill you. One RC guy was skimming waves just off the beach in the single-seat Eipper and caught a wheel in the surf. It went down and rolled itself into a ball of wires and aluminium tubes in 6' of water. The plane was a total loss and he was lucky he didn't drown.

An ultralights costs ~ $30/hr in gas/oil alone. A drone costs pennies/hr. For aerial photography/video a drone can also get in closer. Ultralights are as big as a small plane and can't hover. It's a contrived controversy. The FAA could theoretically go after someone but it isn't a problem. Drones are. Some YouTube FPV outlaw influencers are buying big houses with YouTube money and there are still hundreds of illegal FPV videos up.

The initial ultralight craze was chilled by a spectacular accident on live TV. It was in Florida I think. A TV crew had gone out to an airport to film the ultralight fun. It was an odd looking canard that the pilot sat on more than in. The plane was only maybe 150' and hit an air pocket. The pilot fell out and was killed on live TV, filmed all the way down to hitting the ground. Graphic. Ultralights became a little more serious after that and you don't hear much in the news. Death is a self-regulator.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:59 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not a Bruce Simpson fan. This particular video came across in my YouTube feed so watched it to see what his point was.

Ultralights, Part 107, etc., not withstanding, I thought his points about FAA discriminatory application of ultralight rules vs. model aviation and YouTube monetization were interesting. If he is correct, recreational flying vs. commercial part 107 is confused even within the FAA.

The drone industry is larger, better financed and more influential than the RC community, which can be good and bad for us. Good if we get a reasonable place and rules, bad if the drone industry wants us out of the airspace. Amazon and others still want to drop package deliveries from drones and they don't want some stinking RC model in their way.

AMA threw us under the bus and are now scrambling to save their *****. If they can maintain any influence with the FAA, then good. But the drone industry has the dollars, above or under the table, to buy more influence than the RC industry/community can.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:34 AM
BarracudaHockey

Newsflash Dick, the commercial industry does NOT want to stifle the recreational hobby.
Old 10-06-2023, 01:28 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Newsflash Dick, the commercial industry does NOT want to stifle the recreational hobby.
But it wouldn’t hesitate to throw us under the bus if it needed to….
Old 10-06-2023, 02:31 PM
ECHO24

Hey R_Strowe. I met a guy who worked at Crazy Eddie's. He bragged about their Pro-Sales moves. Did you ever use the $100 phono cartridge trick? Their $100 cartridge cost the store $6. He said if they had someone teetering on a big system, they'd say, "That's as low as I can go on the price. But how about if we throw in this $100 cartridge". Bam!
Old 10-06-2023, 02:55 PM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by astrohog
But it wouldn’t hesitate to throw us under the bus if it needed to….
What everyone fussing about the delivery guys fails to understand is that many of them are hobbyists themselves, and as such they realize the hobby is their pipeline for future pilots and engineers. I've worked with these guys, they don't want to stifle us.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:23 PM
ECHO24

Hey Barracuda. What's up? You seem to be listing to port. Commercial Big Drone consultant is now on your resume? Nobody mentioned "delivery guys".
Old 10-06-2023, 03:31 PM
ECHO24

Hey R_Strowe.

Last edited by ECHO24; 10-07-2023 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2023, 04:21 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
What everyone fussing about the delivery guys fails to understand is that many of them are hobbyists themselves, and as such they realize the hobby is their pipeline for future pilots and engineers. I've worked with these guys, they don't want to stifle us.
I think there's a romantic notion that the hobby fliers are the pipeline, but I doubt there's hard data supporting it. Anecdotal data perhaps, that's hardly "proof."
Old 10-06-2023, 04:36 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drones don't need the skills acquired in our hobby. RTF off the shelf.
Old 10-06-2023, 06:39 PM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Hey R_Strowe. I met a guy who worked at Crazy Eddie's. He bragged about their Pro-Sales moves. Did you ever use the $100 phono cartridge trick? Their $100 cartridge cost the store $6. He said if they had someone teetering on a big system, they'd say, "That's as low as I can go on the price. But how about if we throw in this $100 cartridge". Bam!
I was in Car Audio, so never saw that. We had our own scams, though. Didn't last more than about 2 months there, if you didn't push their'specials', they became rather displeased.
I believed in selling the customer what they wanted, not what the company wanted to sell them.

R_Strowe
Old 10-06-2023, 06:41 PM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Hey R_Strowe. He said all the staff at Crazy Eddies were doing lines of coke between sales in the back room (if you can't figure it out by the commercials). He was watching their top salesman pitching a customer and his nose started bleeding. The guy casually wiped off the blood off his nose and close the deal. A Legend!.
I wouldn't be surprised, especially considering the era that was.

R_Strowe
Old 10-06-2023, 07:03 PM
ECHO24

Hey R_Strowe

Last edited by ECHO24; 10-07-2023 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:36 PM
ECHO24

Hey Billy_Mays

Last edited by ECHO24; 10-07-2023 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:09 PM
ECHO24

Only months after Crazy Eddie's IPO,

Last edited by ECHO24; 10-07-2023 at 06:24 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.