Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA insurance coverage overseas

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA insurance coverage overseas

Old 08-17-2004, 03:31 PM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default AMA insurance coverage overseas

I am going to be in the UK for about 10days and was wondering if my AMA insurance covers me while I am traveling abroad. The place I will be staying has enough room to fly and as long as there are no local clubs to worry about I would like to try and fly and was wondering about the insurance thing. Any info will be appreciated!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 03:40 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA insurance coverage overseas

Nope. For more information, call AMA Special Services in Muncie. There is a reciprocal agreement with Canada. You could get coverage for FAI events (extra charge) abroad, but not sport flying.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

You don't have to worry about insurance as much overseas - believe it or not countries outside the USA are not full of blood sucking tort lawyers that try to drain money out of everyone for "safety sake" In the UK - if someone sues you and they lose - they pay all the legal fees for BOTH SIDES. As a result, there are very few frivolous lawsuits and ambulance chasing blood suckers trying to tap you for everything you own... its called proof beyond reasonable doubt .. and even then you might not get sued. Tort reform is sorely needed here in the US too, but as long as we keep electing more and more lawyers to public office that will never happen.

I have flown r/c often outside the US - many of the fields where I have flown in foreign countries have disclaimer signs stating "spectate and fly at your own risk" - basically you are on your own.. which is a good thing if you ask me. Of course, this is not true everywhere so do some homework before you assume...

Nothing is 100% safe and we need to be accountable for our own actions. If we chose to be around flying objects with rotating knives up front - then we best protect ourselves with health insurance coverage. If someone comes to watch us - then they best have it too or they can go away.

The fact that we have to carry insurance on everything to protect ourselves from opportunists here in the US makes me sick.

Just go fly and enjoy yourself!!
DP

When are they going to declare open season on lawyers... !!
Old 08-18-2004, 12:07 AM
vettediver

Hopefully you will be flying on a frequency that is legal to use for r/c flying in the Uk. I do not believe that the 72 mhz band is legal to use in the Uk.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I was going to mention that... 72MHz is not a legal frequency in the UK for R/C. Who knows who's using it over there, what you'll be interfering with, or more importantly who will be interfereing with YOU!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:25 PM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Seems I should just try to enjoy the fish&chips and the lovely weather. Maybe I'll take an old U/C combat plane with me. No frequency problems there!!! Thanks for the insight.......