Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Have you thought about What IF?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Have you thought about What IF?

Old 10-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have you thought about What IF?

How would YOU, an AMA Member, be effected if AMA should lose it's current Educational Tax-Exempt status under the IRS' IRC 501 (c) (3)? There are strong indications that IRS will soon be looking at these organizations much more closely.

For the past 3 years, I have been campaigning for AMA to be much more involved in the EDUCATION of the public via public media, direct contact with officials from local to national, about the worth of model aviation as a wholesome and educational recreation from the workroom to the great outdoors. This is true for both young and old. When I was young I spent many hours building rubber, FF and CL models and flying CL/FF. All my high-school modeling buddies became prominent businessmen or technical graduates. Back then my only competition was between the ground and me.[X(]

AMA can well provide the current liability insurance at current token cost all within the dues structure. All the other AMA insurance items such as individual accident/medical could be provided at optional additional cost.

However if Dave Brown gets reelected, then that will, IMO, definitely be the end of any program to keep AMA as a tax-exempt organization. In the last election, DB received carte-blanche to do his own thing and reelection now would be the icing-on-the-cake for him. After this year's campaigning program to the contrary, DB's reelection will surely make him the EMPEROR of AMA.

Perhaps there is a reason that certain persons would very much like for AMA to lose it's exempt status. For example, then AMA could become simply an Insurance Company with already selected individuals in control of both the money and the company. They already have a CAPTIVE audience. If you think the current liability insurance is expensive, just you wait until it goes truly commercial !!! [&o]

AMA is now required to provide a newsletter to its membership. AMA provides a magazine, mostly commercial in nature, that barely meets the requirements of "Educational" status since the DVP's columns are mostly social about the various clubs and individuals within the district or in some cases mostly outside the DVP's district (VIII!) The magazine portion, outside the AMA Section, is by IRC considered to be an "Unrelated Business" and profits on advertising become subject to Federal Income Tax. The more tax paid means that AMA has more money to offset YOUR expenses. Like you and I, the more we make, generally the more tax we pay, yet I find that 60% of something is much better than 100% of nothing.

Currently the magazine itself is supported by member dues. Advertising is almost matched $ for $ by the expense of production of such advertising plus the healthy commission paid to the advertising agent, an individual living some 20+/- miles from Mr. D. Brown. No other modeling magazine supports an advertising agent out-of-house. All other magazines have higher ad. rates than Model Aviation. This all happens under Mr. Brown's Watch.

IMO, if the member dues must support the mag then make it a member-oriented periodical with nearly no advertising. If the Industry wants that 160,000 +/- captive audience, then let the industry pay for the mag in whole. Right now the magazine costs the AMA membership more than the Liability Insurance, so well touted to be the big factor in AMA dues.

DB will NOT ever allow such as above. Just maybe -- MAYBE -- a member designated CHANGE in the President, the Chairman of the Board, the CEO or however you think of him, could open some eyes. It is the only chance available. To vote for other than the only person providing that chance, one Mr. D. Mathewson, is simply risking AMA as we have known it, regardless of the gripes, to cease to exist.

Troops, the ball is in your court. Please feel free to repeat this to all your AMA friends.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Have you thought about What IF?

Looks like the only thing that would change is AMA. Most of the people flying today care less about it. The only reason they have it is because they think they have to have it. What power do they have over the people that don't join and keep on flying. Changeing tax statice will not change AMA like changeing officers will not change it!!! These people know what they are getting into before they run for office.
A person could bring up the good old days but they are gone and it seems that no one or nothing is going to bring them back. Like education in model air craft, most of the young people in our schools do not get what they need to get along in life.
Well it is Dues time again gets to be a habbit, should I pay one year two or life to old for life.
And what the hay I voted this year?????? even was smart enough to send it to the right place.
WHAT POWER DO THEY REALLY HAVE
Old 10-26-2004, 08:19 AM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We can vote, try to make a change, or we can just drop out, and let the AMA dry up.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:18 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: scottrc

We can vote, try to make a change, or we can just drop out, and let the AMA dry up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27245.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	186891  
Old 10-26-2004, 11:49 AM
J_R

August 1996 issue of Model Aviation, page 146, President’s Corner

New President, Dave Brown’s 10 goals, for the AMA established at the long range planning session during his first year as President. As he stated, in no particular order.

How can the administration of Dave Brown be judged fairly? You decide how many of the goals have been accomplished.

To improve the working conditions for our HQ staff, specifically, to have the design, and planning for a new HQ building done within three years, and to have it built, and to be in it within five years.

To establish our museum as the premier model aviation museum in the world, and to have it accredited within three years.

To run the Nats on a financially break-even basis or better within three years.

To increase our net assets by $2 million within three years.

To have an education/research program in place within three years.

To increase the number of local flying fields by 10% within three years.

To increase the membership to 200,000 within 3 years.

To have a formal flight-training program in place within three years.

To complete the next $1 million in National Flying Site (Muncie) development

To have a Youth/Family activities program in place within three years.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:04 PM
rw Guinn

ORIGINAL: J_R

August 1996 issue of Model Aviation, page 146, President’s Corner

New President, Dave Brown’s 10 goals, for the AMA established at the long range planning session during his first year as President. As he stated, in no particular order.

How can the administration of Dave Brown be judged fairly? You decide how many of the goals have been accomplished.

To improve the working conditions for our HQ staff, specifically, to have the design, and planning for a new HQ building done within three years, and to have it built, and to be in it within five years.

To establish our museum as the premier model aviation museum in the world, and to have it accredited within three years.

To run the Nats on a financially break-even basis or better within three years.

To increase our net assets by $2 million within three years.

To have an education/research program in place within three years.

To increase the number of local flying fields by 10% within three years.

To increase the membership to 200,000 within 3 years.

To have a formal flight-training program in place within three years.

To complete the next $1 million in National Flying Site (Muncie) development

To have a Youth/Family activities program in place within three years.
well, 1 out of 10 is....well...10%? In politics, that's pretty good. Obviously, it must be the members' fault....
Old 10-26-2004, 08:10 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Well maybe it is a blessing that the AMA may be under the microscope-the only reason I have maintained my membership with them for over 20 years - it is for the mandated requirement to be covered at the local fields-I have other insurances that cover myself and my actions that I pay for already-I sure think the rag they publish sucks-Think about for a moment the AMA is disbanded tomorrow morning-how will that be a problem for me-because me is all we think about at times-I will still fly model airplanes-probaly at the same location because the landowner is greedy too-What will I miss that AMA has done for me that I can see or have knowledge about-nothing-What will I gain if AMA goes out of business-maybe the membership fee for a year or two until some other nonprofit takes off-I have several times ask for help from the AMA-ie=finding a club for a local clinic for a boyscout troop to earn their aviation merit badge and recieved no help and not even a returned phone call until four more calls and three weeks later-we got it done thru a outlaw field thru the help of one of the leaders at the scout troop-flying site assistance=was basically told that is all on the web and gave me several email addresses and they treated me like I was an interruption to their day at muncie-the AMA the way it is could go away and I would not care-but it is shame that so many good people have put the work in and are long gone to see what it has evolved into-this is my twist and I am saying what I feel and not trying to start a seperation or arguement in this forum
Old 10-27-2004, 02:37 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Well if it's just the insurance then we could always go this route, has worked for others!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75803.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	187127  
Old 10-27-2004, 03:29 AM
islandflyer

I have been pushing for AMA membership at our field, but most fliers don't join the club, and many don't join the AMA either (the latter feel that the AMA insurance will hide behind their other insurance policies, and is therefore useless).
The reason for this freedom of choice at our field is that we fly on public land, and therefore cannot get the authority to enforce any rule whatsoever.
To my knowledge, the club gets nothing from AMA, inspite of requests from our club officers to have the organization's backing to secure a flying site where membership and basic safety rules can be enforced.
Needless to say that it does me a great deal of good to read the bragging about the luxury of the headquarters and other AMA facilities in Muncie (at the other end of the country for most of us! I guess it's reserved to the good neighbors out there).
What I read about Dave Brown seems to be but a symptom of the AMA political illness: on a local basis, the only two guys I have seen part of this "machine" over the last 5 years have shined only by their non-involvment in the flying community, and their non-involvement in the organization of the few interesting events on the island. To top it off, we saw the first of the two be rewarded officially by the AMA when he left the island "for his outstanding achievement" while he was here. This was printed in the Model Aviation Magazine (AMA's PRAVDA).
I guess that it was indeed very important for us to finance the facilities where the dignitaries can rub elbows and congratulate each other.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:29 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

that is pretty funny Art!!!!!!!!!!