Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Coin of little value

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Coin of little value

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 08:27 PM
ben flyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coin of little value

What-cha chargin us with?[X(]
Old 02-26-2005, 09:32 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: ben flyn

What-cha chargin us with?[X(]
DISKcrimination, obviously
Old 02-26-2005, 09:38 PM
ben flyn

LOL!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Live Wire

NitroWoman
I even got one
Old 03-02-2005, 10:13 PM
ELTIGRE

MILITARY CHALLENGE COINS: " NON WARRIOR FEATHER MERCHANTS??? NOT USEFUL? EXCUSE ME? TRY GETTING SOMEWHERE WITHOUT SUPPORT TROOPS & MAINTENANCE IN ANY FIELD! VERY UNGLAMOROUS, UNAPPRECIATED (OBVIOUSLY)-- BUT VERY NECCESARY. AIR FORCE HAS ITS CHALLENGE COINS AS WELL.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Live Wire

A coin of little value ,are not we all. The value is in the beholders eyes. We make of it what we want it to be.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:05 PM
ben flyn

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

A coin of little value ,are not we all. The value is in the beholders eyes. We make of it what we want it to be.
Your right. So far, It's too thin to make a door stop out of it, maybe if I drill a hole in it I can make a fender washer out of it.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Live Wire

Do not deface a friend some day they will return the favor.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:12 AM
ben flyn

Sounds like a chinese proverb.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Shakey thumb

I would much rather see ama working on keeping the dues low so the average modeler can afford to be a member. I buy videos from SKS anyway if i want it .
Old 03-03-2005, 09:30 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK--let me clear things up a bit before this becomes more about nationial amd military pride than the AMA. I now understand about the challenge coins. Something to be proud of and respected as it symbolizes accomplishment. and has a purpose in the MILITARY. It is obvious that once you leave the circle of those who own the "real thing" and understand the purpose of this symbol, it looses the value and hence becomes just an object. Kind of like "Grand ma's fake pearl necklace"--it has great sentimental value to those who cherish it--but to others who live down the block, it is just cheap jewelry-even though they respect the family's position.

HOWEVER I have never served in the military (My father was in the Airborn in the 50s and my stepfather is 20 yr retired Airforce)---And for that matter, I don't even FLY WARBIRDS!!!!

My point is this----What have I done to merit this coin????????? What accomplishment have I achived for this honor???? If there is no accomplishment for the coin to symbolize, of what value is it. If the AMA is handing them out like M&Ms, HOW SPECIAL CAN THEY BE????

So again I ask, What did I do for this coin?

Pay my AMA dues since 1989??????? Buy this video??????? Just not sure of the purpose. Point being--this coin has very little value.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I think people are missing the fact that the AMA is not running this campaign. An outside marketing firm is running this on behalf of the AMA, and is almost certainly paying the AMA for the right to use the logo and represent the AMA. In return, the AMA gets a cut of any profits. It's not costing the AMA, or its members, anything unless they choose to purchase the video.

Freak out, go on your riteously indignant tirades... You want the AMA to operate more like a successful business and seek out alternative sources of revenue. This is what successful businesses do.

Again, ANYTHING sent to you in the mail unsolicited is YOURS, no questions asked, no obligations.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:34 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

I think people are missing the fact that the AMA is not running this campaign. An outside marketing firm is running this on behalf of the AMA, and is almost certainly paying the AMA for the right to use the logo and represent the AMA.
So, what your saying is that AMA provided my contact information to a marketing firm without my permission?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Live Wire

They don't do thing like that , Thats a NO NO
Old 03-03-2005, 01:04 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: P-51B

So, what your saying is that AMA provided my contact information to a marketing firm without my permission?
From the July 2004 EC minutes:

T. Schwyn has been working with various groups offering affinity programs. Of the proposals he has reviewed, he thought the TN proposal would produce the most favorable results and not cost the Academy anything to participate. A handout was offered and a brief presentation given. Schwyn did visit the facility in Minneapolis/St. Paul area and found it to be very professional. Schwyn proposes that AMA proceed to the sampling stage of the program.
When asked who owns the copyright to the DVDs/tapes/books of the product, Schwyn thought TN would hold it for the first 18 months after which the AMA would own it. He would however, get confirmation of this. The members would be contacted and asked if they would like to receive this product; only those who choose to would receive it. AMA would not give up any rights to the membership list and they only have access to the database if AMA allows. As far as content, AMA has full input over the content and the right of refusal of any content. AMA would insist that mailings be done through a third party mailing house; T. Schwyn thought TN would be agreeable to this. Length of the sampling video would be around 10-20 minutes with the full production video being anywhere from 45 minutes to one and one half hours. Average price for production per piece is $17.00-$19.95. If AMA chooses, the video would contain trailers leading individuals not already AMA members to the organization. TN would look for direction from AMA in marketing to those outside the existing membership.
T. Schwyn will develop a plan to market this video to the general masses in an effort to generate interest and membership in AMA. A straw poll of Council showed that T. Schwyn should proceed with the project.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

I got my coin from my Grandson when he returned after Operation Enduring Freedom. In addition to getting this coin he also got a full boat USAF Scholarship to finish his degree and get his commission. Now in Flight School at Moody AFB.

Proud Grandad
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79761.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	237512  
Old 03-03-2005, 01:14 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Proud Grandad
You got every right to be.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:28 PM
P-51B

JR, thanks for clearing that up. I feel a little better now.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:30 PM
P-51B

Hey Red, I'll trade you the coin that came with the video for your coin!

Anyway, tell your grandson thanks for his service for me, and congratualtions!
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Hey Red, I'll trade you the coin that came with the video for your coin!

Anyway, tell your grandson thanks for his service for me, and congratualtions!

I'm hanging on to that one, but how about a mint NRA - Classic Collectors Series - White Tail Deer?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51797.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	237579  
Old 03-03-2005, 05:47 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Freak out, go on your riteously indignant tirades... You want the AMA to operate more like a successful business and seek out alternative sources of revenue. This is what successful businesses do.
Matt-

You may be too young to remember this but some will, from from a talkie that was already old when I saw it as kid during the 50's.

Scene: The flimflam man had just completed a 'transaction' when he notices a companion looking askance at him. He said (paraphrasing):
"Son, that's business. Business is when a man with money meets a man with experience; the man with experience gets the money and the man with the money gets the experience."

Sumpin' in what you said caused that scene to flash into mind.

Abel

Old 04-13-2005, 12:41 AM
ELTIGRE

actually these coins do cost something to produce especially if you want high quality. they are produced by the" lostwax" method & do take some skill &effort to design &produce . whilethey do not have pure monatary vaue , the metals used as well as certain sentimental value do make them collectables. the value of some coins being much higher than others.