Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Unsolicited CD

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Unsolicited CD

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA Unsolicited CD

Companies send us unsolicited mail asking for money ALL THE TIME. What's the big deal this time around?

You people are constantly complaining about how the AMA isn't seeking other sources of revenue, and how the AMA isn't being run like a successful business. Well, successful businesses send out unsolicited mail on the off chance that some small percentage of people will actually send money back, and they manage to make a profit doing it.

Besides, it's not really the AMA that's risking money in sending this out. From what I've heard it's an independent marketing firm that paid the AMA good money for its mailing list, the right to represent the AMA and the right to use the AMA logo. Careful reading of the information that came with the DVD should reveal that. I think that no matter what happens, the AMA comes out of it with additional revenue.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch
Companies send us unsolicited mail asking for money ALL THE TIME. What's the big deal this time around?
(1) The fact that OUR organization - the AMA - has now sunk to such despicable depths.
(2) The fact that the letter was deliberately written so as to try to dupe some of OUR members out of money.

I think that no matter what happens, the AMA comes out of it with additional revenue.
... as well as an even more tarnished reputation than before, and a lot of p'd off members.

Maybe DB is so full of himself that he thinks that alienating the membership in order to gather a few more bucks for him to waste on unwanted and uneccesary projects is just a great way to show who's in control ? Wouldn't surprise me.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gordon,

I haven't seen this letter, but EACH and EVERY recount of it in a complaint thread has the same theme. The letter gives two options:

1. View the video. If you like it, send in $9.
2. View the video. If you don't like it, send it back in the PREPAID envelope.

There's also the third option:
3. Toss it in the trash. Owe nothing, know nothing.

...and a fourth option:
4. Keep the video as a free gift. Whether expressed or implied in the letter, FEDERAL LAW says that anything you receive in the mail unsolicited is yours to keep with no obligation whatsoever.

I feel truly sorry for the AMA member that gets "duped" out of money by this.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:35 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I've heard it's an independent marketing firm that paid the AMA good money for its mailing list,
Another good reason to be pissed. I'm on enough junk mail lists without AMA selling my address to another one, if that IS the case. I almost need a larger mailbox now, with all the daily crap I get. Too bad you can't just get the mail you're supposed to get out of the box and leave the rest for the US Snail to deal with. Mass mailers only contribute to rising postal rates; regardless of automation, it takes more time and manpower for the mail service to deal with the volume. By itself, it may just be a drop in the bucket, but added to all the other thousands of drops, the bucket gets full. But that's an issue apart from the main one in this thread. Actually, there are about 4 threads on this same subject, all of which have been relegated to the AMA Discussions. I think it might have struck a nerve.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:47 AM
J_R

khodges

You proved with your inital posts that you do not read and you are continuing not to. You have not read the thread that I pointed you to. If you had, you would have found that the AMA did NOT sell or give the list to anyone, other than a third party mailing company where the AMA has control.

Fruther be aware that the Postal Service not only solicits this type of business, but will actually help a business to design the mailing. It is profitable because it is automated.

There are 4 threads because people do not read. People just like you.

For those of you that do respond to this offer by purchasing, be aware that the company will then actually have you address, since you supply it, and it would not be amazing if you were to recieve other offers. I suppose it is possible the AMA has an agreement with them not to do this, but, I doubt it.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havn't received the DVD, which I have no way to play.[] Maybe they will send me a hard copy rulebook instead.

Jim
Old 02-27-2005, 12:01 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: khodges

From what I've heard it's an independent marketing firm that paid the AMA good money for its mailing list,
Another good reason to be pissed. I'm on enough junk mail lists without AMA selling my address to another one, if that IS the case. I almost need a larger mailbox now, with all the daily crap I get. Too bad you can't just get the mail you're supposed to get out of the box and leave the rest for the US Snail to deal with. Mass mailers only contribute to rising postal rates; regardless of automation, it takes more time and manpower for the mail service to deal with the volume. By itself, it may just be a drop in the bucket, but added to all the other thousands of drops, the bucket gets full. But that's an issue apart from the main one in this thread. Actually, there are about 4 threads on this same subject, all of which have been relegated to the AMA Discussions. I think it might have struck a nerve.
ORIGINAL: J_R

khodges

You proved with your inital posts that you do not read and you are continuing not to. You have not read the thread that I pointed you to. If you had, you would have found that the AMA did NOT sell or give the list to anyone, other than a third party mailing company where the AMA has control.

Fruther be aware that the Postal Service not only solicits this type of business, but will actually help a business to design the mailing. It is profitable because it is automated.

There are 4 threads because people do not read. People just like you.

For those of you that do respond to this offer by purchasing, be aware that the company will then actually have you address, since you supply it, and it would not be amazing if you were to recieve other offers. I suppose it is possible the AMA has an agreement with them not to do this, but, I doubt it.
In addition, the moderators may know something you don't. It may well be that they moved the thread because they were aware that factual information exists in this forum relative to the topic, as well as the empty rehtoric folks like you offer.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Live Wire

Reruns ,Reruns and More reruns . Just how did they get my name I still think Nitro Woman should have got one [&o]

[8D]

Old 02-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Chopper Bob

This kind of reminds me of Netflix. You get the DVD in the mail, you burn it onto a recordable DVD, send it back in the mail. That's what I did with AMA's DVD. Hope someone else can enjoy it.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:26 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

JR- Matt being one of those moderators who might know, I responded to him as if he DID know, but I also stated "if that is the case" in case he was opining popular rumor. If AMA wants to send me stuff, I guess they think it is worthwhile, and even if I can keep it without paying, that should be the case at any rate; they shouldn't have to ask $9 or $.09. And maybe the postal service does solicit this kind of business; I still say they only make more work for themselves down the road. And I have read every post on every thread regarding this subject. While I might not share the same opinion of it as you do, I have seen a majority that lean toward my "side" of the issue. That's neither here, nor there, because if I were the only one who felt that way about the issue, I'd still feel that way. I'm sure there is a lot I don't know about it, and maybe if I had an inside view of AMA's logic and reasoning, I might feel differently; I doubt it. I'm not so much blasting AMA for this idea of unsolicited mailing as I am the whole concept of it, from any source.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:59 PM
J_R

khodges

There is no question that the huge majority of the membership will reject this program. The projected income is $50,000. The projected amount that will go to the AMA is about $1 a disc. If the series is 6 dvd's and the adult AMA membership is about 140,000 that equates to about 10,000 members that are expected to respond in a positive manner. Conversely, 130,000 members will reject the offer.

The Postal Service has a long history of providing services that many wonder about. If the rates were the same for this type of offer as for first class mail, we would probably see a lot less of it. The direct mail business accounts for billions and billions of dollars for the economy, resulting in jobs, taxes, etc. . No one can even guess what the affect of eliminating direct mail might have. It's not likely to disappear soon.

Old 02-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Gordon Mc

Gordon,

I haven't seen this letter
There's a copy of it posted in one of the threads in this forum, so if you care about it you can read it.

, but EACH and EVERY recount of it in a complaint thread has the same theme. The letter gives two options:

1. View the video. If you like it, send in $9.
2. View the video. If you don't like it, send it back in the PREPAID envelope.
Since marketing scum have no right to expect that anyone should waste any of their precious time on this crap,
it really doesn't matter in the least whether the return postage is prepaid or not. The only value that the prepaid return postage has IMO, is that if I receive one of these junk mail offerings I will use the prepaid return to send them a load of crap back (and NOT their DVD).

I feel truly sorry for the AMA member that gets "duped" out of money by this.
I feel sorry for anyone who gets duped out of money by ANY means, whether it be this one or a phising scam, etc.

Gordon
Old 02-27-2005, 03:44 PM
J_R

deleted by JR
Old 02-27-2005, 05:09 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad news.....mine is blank! My computer finds the CD and it shows ZIP! So should I send them $.00 for this one

Jerry
Old 02-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry,
It is NOT a CD but a DVD.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:03 AM
tailskid

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.......guess I'll have to bother the wife and see if I can use the TV for a minute or two

Jerry
Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i wouldna risk it, ifn i were you.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:14 PM
fast_bro
My Feedback: (8)

How about this, we have three members of AMA in one household(husband,wife and son). We have recieved two copyies already. Didn't ask for the first one, sure don't need two. Take about a waste of time and money.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:21 PM
tailskid

I just received my second copy - addressed to my son - which I shall return so some other lucky individual may watch.

Jerry
Old 02-28-2005, 11:30 PM
J_R

A second came to my wife. Her only intersest is keeping balsa dust out of the house. She read the letter and asked if she could keep it. When asked why, she said "it says I can keep it as a gift, and I need the case for another dvd".

Oh, well... at least she read the letter
Old 02-28-2005, 11:41 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

well, jon:

it appears yer old lady has hit upon a useful purpose fer the mailing.

i could make use of a few DVD cases as well.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:56 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: J_R

A second came to my wife. Her only intersest is keeping balsa dust out of the house. She read the letter and asked if she could keep it. When asked why, she said "it says I can keep it as a gift, and I need the case for another dvd".

Oh, well... at least she read the letter
She's obviously got too much time on her hands. Might best take notice before the pool boy does. [8D]

Abel
Old 03-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger
She's obviously got too much time on her hands. Might best take notice before the pool boy does. [8D]
LOL ! Trust you to find a new way of looking at it !
Old 03-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

UNICEF, CARE, PBS, and now the AMA. Do you have any idea how much mail I get requesting donations? Well, guess what. I give away to the ones I believe in and I don't give to the ones that overlap or represent causes that I don't believe in. AMA? Sure, what the heck, I'll give them a few bucks. You can whine about the generals all you want, but remember they are on our side. It is rare for them to ask for support of this manner and when they do a good soldier doesn't take a step backwards, he steps up. Thier cause is our cause. We may argue about tactics but I believe that all the parties involved are good people and believe in what they are doing. 9 bucks ? I'll give them 50 !

LOL ... what on earth makes you think that the AMA gets the $9 ? The marketing, distribution etc is almost certainly being done by a third party company that makes a huge profit on each DVD, and pays a paltry little percentage of their profits to the AMA. It's not uncommon for such companies to keep 95% or more of the profits, so don't be surprised if the AMA sees only 50 cents of the $9 that you thought you were giving them.

If you really want to donate to the AMA, then donate directly to the AMA and NOT to some sleazy marketing organization.

Gordon
Per http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2712366, I rest my case ... I hope you can feel as good about donating $8.28 to the external marketing organization, as you feel about the 72c or so of your $9 that will actually make it to the AMA.

One can but hope that the AMA makes really good use of the "good soldier"'s 72 cents.

Gordon

Old 03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
J_R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.