Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ama Renewal Fee

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ama Renewal Fee

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 09:38 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ama Renewal Fee

Originally posted by paero
Cyclic Hardover, you might be right. Dave Brown might not have done a thing about it. But......what have you done except complain???? Why don't you run for office.....how about an area VP???? Nothing changes if you don't do a thing about it.

I don't do anything either, but I'm not going to complain.

According to AMA I am not qualified-yet.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:49 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Default Ama Renewal Fee

I wonder if that new headquarters building has "pay toilets"
Old 10-11-2002, 10:34 PM
Stewart-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ama Renewal Fee

Hello,

AMA retains our frequencies with the FCC. Without these, nobody flies!

Stewart
Old 10-12-2002, 11:06 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default Ama Renewal Fee

1. I get neat stickers!
Say what!
I didn't get any stickers!
They must of come up short.
Oh well

Doug
Old 10-13-2002, 07:05 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Default Ama Renewal Fee

Fly109, I guess you did not know about the guy who got KILLED by the pylon plane that penetrated the cage and the subsequent lawsuit that led up to spending money trying to develop safer cages?

What would YOU have done? Nothing? Kept flying with the same cages, although they had already proven unsafe? Just banned pylon racing?

l
Old 10-13-2002, 08:13 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: One more thing

Originally posted by fly109

I don't see how I have a choice but to join if I am to do what I love to do.
This could have been said by:

1- the golfer who wants to golf but not pay the club membership..

2- the drag racer who wants to race but not pay the NHRA membership..

3- the mountain biker who really wants to race but doesnt want to pay the IMBA fee...

ON AND ON! Any organised hobby/sport/organisation has dues and membership is, last time I checked, optional! Either pay and play or quit whining!!!

Why cry and cry about joining the AMA? Its the same guys here that whine and complain to each other, and profess to know exactly what Dave Brown and all the other guys are doing "wrong" but havent given any good ideas forward in order to make things better. When asked to run for office, they say "oh Im too busy, not qualified, etc"...

Well thats just crap! I think that some of you guys will just ***** and complain about having to pay any fee, whether it is $5 or $58. If you want to fly models in a club, and attend events and participate in contests, why is the $58 so much $$? Any modeller I know spends more than that in a heartbeat on a giant scale prop, or a few jugs of fuel, or whatever.

So, keep making fun of the AMA, whine about the increase here on RCU to all the other whiners, and hope that that somehow will change things..

In case you are wondering why someone from Canada is having there say on this topic, I AM a member (and I still think that Model Aviation is one of the best model magazines I get), and also we have the same issues here with MAAC (canada's version of AMA). Same guys allways complianing about the increase in dues, "crappy" mag, etc. Funny thing they too dont want to get involved to try and improve things.

Andrew Coholic
Old 10-13-2002, 08:46 PM
MikeL

Default Ama Renewal Fee

And there's always someone willing to whine about the whining...
Old 10-14-2002, 01:30 AM
ajcoholic

Default Ama Renewal Fee

MikeL, regarding your last post "And there's always someone willing to whine about the whining..."

Very true, but you I guess you have to hear from both sides on every "discussion" now dont you?

Its still a simple equation - either join the AMA and have fun, or take the money you saved and, well do what ever else you can do with a lousy fifty bucks...

And for those who think the magazine isnt worth wiping your bum with, what magazines DO you buy? Its as good a rag or better than FM, RCM, or MAN.

AJC
Old 10-14-2002, 01:47 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Default Ama Renewal Fee

You are wasting your breath. Mike L is a troll, plane and simple, and this forum's moderator has a well-known anti-AMA bias. It's not really a "discussion", but an ongoing rant against AMA by the same old people. And Horace Cain will get elected when pigs fly Lomcevaks. So why bother to answer? Better to go bash some balsa instead...
Old 10-14-2002, 03:10 AM
flap

Default Pardon my ignorance.......PLEASE,

Is this not a free country!??
I have access to a farm, fly there all the time, never once crossed my mind about HAVING to buy AMA ins, but I did, because I also want to fly with other folks who choose to fly at a AMA sanctioned or whatever, feild.
If AMA breaks ones balls, so to speak, do we not have the option to fly, with EXTREMELY comon sence, on private land, (there is a heck of lot of it around) if we so choose!!?
Talk about beurocratic b.........t
I could care less, see you at the farm.
Figure this to be worth about what you paid for it

Roger Bivins
Old 10-14-2002, 05:54 PM
Heavybird

Default Get A grip!

Andrew,

What ARe you talking about? I read the post by fly 109 and he did not seem to be whinning about anything. In your post you seem to insist that 109 was whinning about paying a measily 58 bucks. Did you read the part where he said he would easily pay three times that much?

I thought his post was well written and just explains his views, he never once made fun of the AMA. Now you attack him with complete exageration in your post - well done.

I think being vigilant about what is happening to an orgonization that represents you is part of being involved.

Seems to me 109 was replying to an earlier statement that asked if you don't like the train your on that you need to get off of it. His point is well made that there are no other trains. I wish guys like you would just lighten up and let others have their say without attacking them - is that too much to ask? Is it imperitive that you attack others opinion? Why don't you (if you're so happy and content with things) take some of your own advice and pay your dues and go have fun we will be able to take care of things down here without you attacking people okay.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:17 PM
flailing
My Feedback: (1)

Default Ama Renewal Fee

Can someone tell me why the guy that only flies 7 gram rubber powered free flight models has to pay the same as the guy who flies a 30 pound 200mph model? not a bash just curious
Old 10-14-2002, 06:56 PM
Blackie

Default Ama Renewal Fee

Patrick, well said, I would say that I could not say it any better but the fact is I couldn't you said it just perfect.

I am curious who works for who concerning the AMA? Do we work for them are do they work for us?

Randy
Old 10-14-2002, 07:07 PM
Blackie

Default Ama Renewal Fee

I see a portion of repliers that have no problem with the new fee and will gladly pay it, as I have no problems with either. I am new to the hobby (2 years) and asked questions concerning this issue at my local field and have learnt that the previous cost was at the same level for quite sometime without an increase. Now my question is will it stay at its new and current level or will it continue to increase?

Randy
Old 10-14-2002, 07:49 PM
ajcoholic

Default Ama Renewal Fee

Heavybird,
I did at no time attack fly109, just used a quote from his posting to prove a point. That being, if you read my posting again and try and understand it, that WHATEVER organisation I have been a member of (lots of them) there are allways the ones that want to complain about the price of admission, and that wont change. EVER! Go back on RCU on all the AMA bashing posts, its the same damn people all the time. Maybe I shouldnt say anything, maybe I should -point being I can and chose to, same as you.

"Why don't you (if you're so happy and content with things) take some of your own advice and pay your dues and go have fun we will be able to take
care of things down here without you attacking people okay."

I would have replied sooner, but I was out having fun flying my planes at the club. Dont need to take any of my own advice, I am allways early in paying my dues, and never personally attacked anyone - just that the whining gets so loud sometimes I can allmost hear it "up here"...

So you "take care" of things "down there"...
Old 10-14-2002, 07:54 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Default Ama Renewal Fee

Originally posted by flailing
Can someone tell me why the guy that only flies 7 gram rubber powered free flight models has to pay the same as the guy who flies a 30 pound 200mph model? not a bash just curious
To a large extent, its because the lion's share of your dues is NOT used for insurance - it's used for all sorts of other things - including the magazine, the office buildings, more office buildings ;-), office equipment, lobbying, wages for full-time staff, expenses for part-time staff, the flying site in Muncie, awarding scholarships, and so on and on.

The membership dues could nevertheless still be tailored more to suit the needs of each modeller - whether he wants the mag or not; whether he wants to fly at Muncie or not ; whether he is considered a higher insurance risk (because he flies fast planes, or because he's a beginner, or because his eyesight and reactions are fading, or because he flies at a site that's near a housing development, or whatever) and so on.

Of course, once you have translated all those different options into membership categories, don't forget to figure out how much additional administration that costs, and raise everyone's dues to cover that extra admin overhead. The term "economy of scale" comes to mind ... treating 170,000 members (or whatever the current amount is) the same is relatively cheap to administer; treating them as 49 sub-categories of members is a bit more expensive, especially when you deal with one member fitting into 13 of those 49 categories, etc.

YMMV, which is fine.

Regards,
Gordon
Old 08-30-2016, 05:55 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

14 years later still talking about the same stuff
Old 08-30-2016, 06:28 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

14 year old thread brought to life for that. But good point, the same stuff is being complained about. Still waiting on that AMA alternative too!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:49 AM
TimJ

There will always be whiners. Some people ***** because they have to pay to play.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:32 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

[QUOTE=porcia83;12252699]14 year old thread brought to life for that. But good point, the same stuff is being complained about. Still waiting on that AMA alternative too! [/QUO

I keep telling you that you are not invited
Old 08-31-2016, 11:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

[QUOTE=PLANE JIM;12252967]
Originally Posted by porcia83
14 year old thread brought to life for that. But good point, the same stuff is being complained about. Still waiting on that AMA alternative too! [/QUO

I keep telling you that you are not invited
And it's keeping my up at nights! Will begging or bribing work? What if I provide adorned shirts and lapel pins...will I have a shot?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:10 AM
mike1974

I'm more irritated that RCU doesn't display the response date and time correctly on my mobile device then I am about a 58 dollar AMA membership fee. That also includes my son for FREE until he is 18! So thats 29 for each of us. Free kids membership (til 18!!!!!), stickers, insurance, representation and a great magazine for 58 a year and people are complaining? "Here's your sign!!!!"

My son and I just enjoy the magazine instead of picking it apart like vultures on fresh roadkill.

I pay almost 58 dollars for 1 magazine I subscribe to that is hobby related and there are only 9 issues per year. No stickers, no insurance, etc.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:12 AM
mike1974

And can someone please tell me how the heck I can see just the threads I'm subscribed to on a mobile device!?!?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mike1974
I'm more irritated that RCU doesn't display the response date and time correctly on my mobile device then I am about a 58 dollar AMA membership fee. That also includes my son for FREE until he is 18! So thats 29 for each of us. Free kids membership (til 18!!!!!), stickers, insurance, representation and a great magazine for 58 a year and people are complaining? "Here's your sign!!!!"

My son and I just enjoy the magazine instead of picking it apart like vultures on fresh roadkill.

I pay almost 58 dollars for 1 magazine I subscribe to that is hobby related and there are only 9 issues per year. No stickers, no insurance, etc.

Well in all fairness some folks do appreciate this "rag", or at least make good use of it lining birdcages. Complainers love to complain (oops, I mean "question" things). If that goes on for 10-12-14 years it's hard to tell the difference sometimes between a "complaint" and a "question".

And can someone please tell me how the heck I can see just the threads I'm subscribed to on a mobile device!?!?

Good luck on that. I rarely do that, but I think you can hit the "MY FORUMS" tab in the upper left corner and they should come up. Could also ask for clarification from the tech guy here, I believe it's iBobi?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:37 AM
rcmiket

It's $75 a year as of last year.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.