Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ama Renewal Fee

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ama Renewal Fee

Old 10-10-2002, 11:16 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ama Renewal Fee

Just got mine in the mail. $58.

1. I get neat stickers!
2. Little wallet ID card with my number.
3. A totally useless magazine.
4 In the magazine, Dr Sandy Franks Monthly report rarely if ever say anything about New Mexicos 900+ AMA members. Its always Texas. Can't wait until this fool gets voted out along with our own local rep Buzz Averil who contributes nothing to this area at all. :stupid:
5 $2,000,000 insurance which will not pay out because my homeowners is the primary so what is the point.
6. Its funny, we have one major scale event here which is professional in everyway. We require you to be AMA but when you think about it, really don't have to be since AMA gives us absolutely nothing towards this event!
7 Did I mention the Stickers?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:27 PM
fly109
My Feedback: (1)

Default Yea. . . its all about the stickers

You come up with a lot more good things about our AMA than I have in the past. But did you know that some of the stickers can be used on BOTH sides! Hey and what about that wonderful headquarters. . . you gotta love the headquarters:-)
Old 10-10-2002, 11:58 PM
paero-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA

I'm sorry!!! I've got to respond. I've been reading all of the post here for quite some time. While the AMA may not be perfect and I know i could find something to ***** about, I feel it's not my place to complain because I'm not stepping forwad to do something about it.

Yes, I got my renewal, and promptly sent it in. Someone once told me that if you don't like the way things are run, either do something about it or never vote for an incumbent.

While the AMA may not be perfect, what have you done to change it. In 1984 my son and I helped with the NATS....he still talks about it as one of the best times he's ever had.

In 1990, he applied and was given an AMA scholarship toward his college education. He got this because he took the time and applied and didn't just sit and complain.

If you don't like the train you're on, get off and get on a different one. No one is forcing you to ride.

Just my nickels worth!!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Default Re: Yea. . . its all about the stickers

Originally posted by fly109
You come up with a lot more good things about our AMA than I have in the past. But did you know that some of the stickers can be used on BOTH sides! Hey and what about that wonderful headquarters. . . you gotta love the headquarters:-)

Thanks alot, I just tossed out last years stickers, There still in the trash and I just have to check that out.

Also as far as doing anything about it. It is almost impossible since it is a "good ol boy" type election. I have sent in numerous complaints to Dave Brown. The proof is in the magazine. You tell me what an entire District VIII column on a Wedding in Indiana has anything to do with the State of New Mexico. The couple wasn't even from District VIII! I'm sorry but this is stupid and Mr. Brown is up there doing nothing about it.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:51 AM
grabber4

Default It aint all sickers and paper

Well I can't say I am happy about the dues increase.
With that said the AMA is the organization that keeps this sport organized. No organization is perfect. The AMA does a lot more than print stickers and publish a magazine. There are a lot of hard working People with the AMA. I had a lot of disscusions with some very helpful people at headquarters last year when our club was having trouble. There are people like Joe Besher who helps sucure flying sites. Jack Frost who promotes education.
and the list goes on.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:59 AM
paero-RCU

Default Ama Renewal Fee

Cyclic Hardover, you might be right. Dave Brown might not have done a thing about it. But......what have you done except complain???? Why don't you run for office.....how about an area VP???? Nothing changes if you don't do a thing about it.

I don't do anything either, but I'm not going to complain.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:50 AM
fly109

Default These Are Great Stickers

Paero,

I am glad you asked the question "what are you doing to change it"

Well for me I am continually pointing out problems in hopes that the average AMA member who says things like "While the AMA may not be perfect and I know i could find something to ***** about, I feel it's not my place to complain because I'm not stepping forwad to do something about it." (please do not take this the wrong way), I just see the AMA for what it is. It is a Self absorbed bueocracy whos only purpose has become to secure its own future, possibly at the expense of its membership.

In a continual effort to open the eyes of the average AMA member to the enevitable future I make statements such as this. To the uninitiated it may look like a simple "*****ing" but in fact I am just a participant in the "Bosten Tea Party" of the AMA. Its about time!
Old 10-11-2002, 01:51 AM
MikeL

Default Re: AMA

Originally posted by paero
If you don't like the train you're on, get off and get on a different one. No one is forcing you to ride.
That's a nice phrase, but it's got little to do with my reality. The field I fly at requires AMA coverage. My options are to be an AMA member, or not fly.

The AMA is increasingly out of touch with the needs of its members. The only reason why the organization continues is that modelers are obligated to become members for insurance purposes. The AMA doesn't seem to acknowledge this situation, even though its mandates have created the circumstances.

How can an organization that doesn't recognize its primary purpose be effective? The AMA exposes that its purpose is to further the hobby of model aviation. They seem to believe this is primarily done in two ways: competition and the ongoing development of the national flying site.

How many of us are active in competition? How many have been to Muncie? How many have been there more than once? More to the point, how many would join the AMA there were a substitute insurance program available?

I'm not about to run for an AMA office. I want as little to do with that continuous SNAFU as possible. The moment a viable alternative exists I'll be leaving the AMA. If our leadership was actual leadership, they would acknowledge this situation and correct it.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:55 AM
RGarris
My Feedback: (72)

Default complain

I'll tell you what he has done. He has sent in his 58.00 which gives him the right to complain. It's the least you can let him do!
Old 10-11-2002, 02:02 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default Ama Renewal Fee

$58 for the AMA membership, $20 or so to the IMAA, $50 for the local club dues.......... Having the enjoyment of being able to be a part of this wonderful hobby......... Priceless! No complaints from me, nothing is cheap these day's. My wife complains of this being an expensive hobby. I keep telling her that I could be doing something more expensive. A $25,000 Harley or a $20,000 bass boat. Let's not forget what the insurance cost for those things and no stickers or magazine. I believe the $10 increase is most likely to cover the growing concern of liabilty and lawsuits. If you can get this cheaper through your local insurance agent then get it. I would guess that it would cost much more than your yearly AMA dues. Relax, go flying and enjoy.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:29 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: AMA

Originally posted by MikeL

That's a nice phrase, but it's got little to do with my reality. The field I fly at requires AMA coverage. My options are to be an AMA member, or not fly.

The AMA is increasingly out of touch with the needs of its members. The only reason why the organization continues is that modelers are obligated to become members for insurance purposes. The AMA doesn't seem to acknowledge this situation, even though its mandates have created the circumstances.

How can an organization that doesn't recognize its primary purpose be effective? The AMA exposes that its purpose is to further the hobby of model aviation. They seem to believe this is primarily done in two ways: competition and the ongoing development of the national flying site.

How many of us are active in competition? How many have been to Muncie? How many have been there more than once? More to the point, how many would join the AMA there were a substitute insurance program available?

I'm not about to run for an AMA office. I want as little to do with that continuous SNAFU as possible. The moment a viable alternative exists I'll be leaving the AMA. If our leadership was actual leadership, they would acknowledge this situation and correct it.
>>>>>>>>>
Sorry, Horrace, but you're not the person I want representing me in any way. I'm not impressed with your "ideas" or your attitude towards others. You aren't a team player, and would just lend your hand to the EC getting nothing productive done.

You had your chance.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:31 AM
MikeL

Default Ama Renewal Fee

Let's not forget that I'm not the one pretending to have the answers.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:42 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: These Are Great Stickers

Originally posted by fly109
Paero,

I am glad you asked the question "what are you doing to change it"
//SNIP//
I just see the AMA for what it is. It is a Self absorbed bueocracy whos only purpose has become to secure its own future, possibly at the expense of its membership.

In a continual effort to open the eyes of the average AMA member to the enevitable future I make statements such as this. To the uninitiated it may look like a simple "*****ing" but in fact I am just a participant in the "Bosten Tea Party" of the AMA. Its about time!
Pat, your RCR columns are just great. You definitely point out some big problems with AMA administrative functions.

The current AMA top officers are certainly securing their future with this separating AMA into multiple corporations and building an Insurance consortium. Yet it is going to take some kind of Tea Party to wake up this generation of modelers.
Frank couldn't do it. I am not doing it very well, and there isn't much time left, especially if Holland gets back in. AMA as we have known the AMA will disappear within the next 3 years.
The AMA membership will be the tea.

BTW, have you read the AMA document 560, Code of Regulations.
If that becomes the AMA standard for Clubs, then the Tea Party just might have to get REAL BIG.

Good Luck

Horrace Cain
Candidate AMA EVP
Old 10-11-2002, 03:51 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Default Ama Renewal Fee

Why doesn't the AMA offer a membership without a magazine at a reduced rate?

Greg
Old 10-11-2002, 04:39 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yo, Cyclic....

1- See them letters on the wing of my ol' Kaos ?
( that's my girlfriends name...." AMA " )
Got a couple planes with her name on 'em.
2- What's up with your personal mail-box ?
3- I'll be at the TOC Sat., for the Semi's.
4- I'll trade 'ya a pretty blue " Aresti " sticker for
one of them AMA stickers. Last one I saw was in
1989. :stupid:

Take care, Bro....Dave.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29884_5977.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	19091  
Old 10-11-2002, 05:16 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default AMA

Because the actual amount of your membership that goes to-wards the Mag. is quite small, around 5-10 bucks, and they are required to send News letters to its members anyway which is in the Mag. At one time they did offer Membership without the Mag but it cost as much or more to print separate news letters to those who did not get it .

AMA is not a GOD, ANYONE is more than welcome to start their own flying site that is NOT AMA chartered and find you own insurance. NO club is forced to use AMA, no member is forced to join, I flew for many years without AMA before I realized the risk I was taking. Even for the Secondary insurance and IMO a decent Mag it is well worth more than it costs. MOST but NOT ALL home owners policies are around 1 million or less for liability, IMO that is simply not enough in todays world.

I don't believe we should all just follow along, there is nothing wrong with complaining about something but it would be nice to see some realistic suggestions on how to improve things and see some actual areas that need attention instead of seeing the same ol same ol AMA is out of touch with its members.

I would bet that 90% of the membership could not care less about the politics of AMA , or the competition rules , or promoting the hobby, Most use AMA for their own purpose just as any other product . Probably 8% of the remaining 10 have all kinds of information about what is wrong and want change but have no Idea what Specifically needs to be done and have absolutely no clue what is involved in keeping an organization of this size going, they would prefer the AMA be run out of a storage rental Unit, boy , the higher powers would really take us seriously then, and the remaining 2 % are the ones who are actively involved in some degree with the clubs and actually give a hoot about the hobby other than just something to do.

Promoting of this hobby can't be done by the AMA alone , They can't be everywhere at the same time, this has to be done on the LOCAL level, YOU as a member of the HOBBY are responsible for our future , NOT THE AMA, Volunteering for trainer duty, New Hobbyist Education , Mall Shows , Fly-ins, Fun Flys, school visits, ETC, ETC. I have enjoyed this hobby for over 20 years starting before my teens , I have only been involved with a club the last couple years and was very disappointed in the number of people that join and have no involvement what so ever , out of 100 or more only maybe 20 actually care about the club or the hobby, and We have about 9 flying facilities in the Kansas city area.

So before you go off half cocked about what the AMA needs to do ask yourself what can YOU do to make changes and better things other than complain and criticize. Point out the problem SPECIFIC LY, offer a suggestion and an explanation. Nothing wrong with informing your fellow modelers of a problem, But these blanket statments like the EC has lost touch is TOTALlY worhtless .
Old 10-11-2002, 10:06 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default New, Improved

Hey, so tell me what you guys think.............

The new, improved modelers organization i am going to start up.
I'll call it NORMAL...National Organization of Radio Model Aircraft Liars. (oops, i just realised those pot guys might get mad) maybe NOMA - National Organization of Model Aircraft.
I will personally lobby in D.C. for our rights and freedoms we are allowed under our Constitution - the right to fly RC !!!!!!!

here's what you get:
Yearly dues are only $40.-, old farts and kids are $30.-

1. Badass stickers (maybe not stickable on both sides)

2. A T-SHIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (white xxl only)

2. Cool membership card to jam in your freq slot on the board.

3. Somekinda insurance, we havent quite figured this part out, maybe it will fall under your car insurance, i mean planes are vehicles, right? But your car insurance policy holder is gonna hafta pay first, thats for sure. Shouldn't be that hard......

4. A newsletter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! once a month(not a slick glossy politically motivated soapbox) it will be black and white, covering state by state events(no districts), modelers of the month, new product info, etc....

5. A headquarters that will be open to all. It's gonna be at my house in Miami aka Bikiniland (now that is a reason to travel to the club HQ) 365 days flying weather. The clubhouse (my shed) always has beer, and i might even fire up th grill. We have plenty of hands-on projects for members to feel like part of the organization. There will be no district presidents, elections, and what not. Just me, my friends, good times, and relaxxing.

What do you guys think???

Steve-o <--------your humble servant
Old 10-11-2002, 01:34 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ama Renewal Fee

Its kind of funny, I also renewed but I got a lot more than most of you seem to have. I get a very good magazine that covers a wide variety of subjects, articles explaining the problems, costs and proposed solutions to problems, very inexpensive insurance supplements, excellent representation when and where required with various factions of the government, district reports, scheduled meets and activities plus much to much more to try to itemize in such a short note.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:22 PM
paero-RCU

Default Ama Renewal Fee

I agree!!! It's easy to P & M about the negitive things, but look at the good things. I remember back when pagers used to shoot us down. Who worked that issue through the FCC???? I don't think I remember the name Cyclic Hardover mentioned.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Tattoo

Default Ama Renewal Fee

I used to be a distance runner. I never thought twice about paying the yearly local runner's assoiation fee (more than the AMA), new $100 shoes ever 3-4 months, travel fees, and $20-$50 entries fee every weekend. Not to mention the doctor bills when my knee went south and ended my running carreer. It did give me the chance to concentrate on R/C.

I gladly wrote my $58 check yesterday so that I could fly at the local field with covered pits, electricity, concrete runway and taxi ways, lots of friends and good frequency control. We have 5 local fields, the only one that allows non AMA members is a crap hole.

I have some friend who still run. Some are golfers. Some are boaters, some build muscle cars or race motorcycles. Some build Harleys. Just hanging around these guys shows me every day that our hobby is VERY cheap.

I compete at the NATS, and the Museum at the headquarters is mind blowing. I love this hobby.

The AMA isn't perfect, and there are things I don't agree with, but expensive isn't something it is. I like the train and I'm gonna ride it. I also voted for Horrice.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:48 PM
TomM

Default Ama Renewal Fee

"I used to be a distance runner. I never thought twice about paying the yearly local runner's assoiation fee (more than the AMA)...."

Now that right there makes me think we have some sick rules in this country. I mean if a guy can't even RUN without paying into someones slushfund..... I mean "association"

I'd take a walk after dinner, but I'm not a member.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Roby

Default Ama Renewal Fee

The AMA sure has been catching a lot of heat lately on
RCU but unless they read the threads they may not have
a clue as to how many of the members feel .

I would suggest that if you have issues with the AMA
complain directly to them. Then they'll know exactly how
you feel.

I'm never thrilled when the price of anything go's up
but if I want to fly...................I guess that I'm "forced"
to pay 58.00

After all the harsh words and anger, it all comes down to
one thing and it's quite simple , you pay ,or ......you don't !

Your call
Old 10-11-2002, 08:16 PM
Tattoo

Default Ama Renewal Fee

I mean if a guy can't even RUN without paying into someones slushfund
Time keepers
Event organizers
flyers, registrations
publicity
Carbo dinners
gatoraid & water stations
Manpower to man aid stations
medical personel
traffic and crowd control
locker rooms and showers
post race food
awards
etc...etc...

Not much anymore in life is free. But overshadowing all the "costs" to run an organization is this.
How much is it worth to you to belong to a group?

Sure I could have gone out there and ran alone, found an imaginary finishline and raised my hands and pretended the crowd was cheering.

I could also just go find an open field and fly my planes.

I just choose to belong to a group, and fly my planes under much better conditions. It makes it much more fun and enjoyable. My gosh, I've blown more than $58 on a night on the town...and didn't even remember it
Old 10-11-2002, 08:35 PM
fly109

Default Ama Renewal Fee

Hey guys sorry about the length of this thing but I just had to get this off my chest.

I would like to mention one thing about the position I have taken about the AMA. First of all someone mentioned all the good things they have done for us such as getting the frequencys we now enjoy and so forth. I couldn't agree more with the fact that the AMA has in the past done wonderful things for us modelers. I also believe that those who run the show are (in their minds) doing what is right for the AMA - no doubt.

However, I just believe they are growing ever out of touch with what modeleing is and where we should be headed. Basically the AMA is looking at the membership much like a government looks at its countrymen. Rule number one (and this has been known for ages) if you want to continue to rule the people you gotta keep them - fat, fed, safe, dry, warm, and protect them from outside enimies and in small part keep them stupid or at least mostly in the dark about how things are run.

If you look back at all the governments, kings and so forth that have been overthown, it was because they failed at rule number one. Even in our own system of government we regularly overthrow our leaders when we don't like the direction our government is heading by voting for the other guy. The trick for the guy in charge now adays is to at least make you think you are better off with him than the other guy.

If you want to see change - give the guys in charge the thought that the masses are watching them and are possibly unhappy. All I have ever said is that we need to be a LOT more vigilant.

And on the topic of dues, I personally would pay twice or even three times the current amount if I liked the direction of the AMA. I just think they are mismanaging the dues without the consent of us members. Here is an example of why I think this. About two years ago in the column written by Dave brown in the front of our FREE FLIGHT magazine he relates a story in an attempt to show how determined the AMA is to promote safety.

The story goes a little something like this;

In an effort to make the judges at a pylon event safer OUR AMA spent almost $ 80,000 dollars (yep) INVESTIGATING the possible best ways to construct a safer cage for the judges. After months of this investigation which included trips to other countries by our AMA and paid for by you, they decided on an design. They then spent another 80,000 dollars (yep again) to build, I believe it was either five or six of these structures, that they would place stratigically around the contry so that pylon event coordinators could arrange to pick up the cages and take them to the events - all in the name of safty mind you, which of course is a good thing - right. Well as it turns out that at the first event as luck would have it a pilot lost control and found one of these 160,000 dollar gages. Guess what. It penetrated the cage with ease! Then gues what, the project was abandoned.

When I read this I was shocked to say the least. I was then even more shocked by the fact that they would print that. What were they thinking? were they so bold as to believe that the members should read this and dismiss it? well for me it was the siginal that the AMA has indeed lost touch. Could you imagine the head of a corporation at a stock holders meeting announcing such a loss as if it was just something that happened. If this does not shock you as well then there is a good chance that you are quite happy with the way things are going but I would say this if the AMA was a coorporation, I would sell all stock immeadiatly.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:57 PM
fly109

Default One more thing

I promise to keep this one short. In a previous post I saw where it was said that if you don't like the train your on, get off no one is forcing you to ride.

Well thats not exactly true now is it. When I first passed a flying club and saw my first radio control model I was amazed, I just had to find out more and wanted to get in the air immeadiatly. When I walked up to one of the members at that field and asked on specifics about learning to fly models and so on, does anyone want to take a wild guess at the first words out of his mouth. Well lets put it this way. . .there was only one train stopping at the "remote control station" if you get my meaning.

Also I am a competitor and travel to about six events a year, do you want to guess what the first thing I am asked at registration?

I don't see how I have a choice but to join if I am to do what I love to do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.