Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 DID AMA REVOKE YOUR MEMBERSHIP? >

DID AMA REVOKE YOUR MEMBERSHIP?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

DID AMA REVOKE YOUR MEMBERSHIP?

Old 08-27-2005, 11:45 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DID AMA REVOKE YOUR MEMBERSHIP?

I was just wondering what was happening with all those "free" for a "fee" disc thingies that the AMA sent out. Did they revoke your memberships? Did they turn it over to a collection agency? Did they keep following up for $$$?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:48 AM

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts
Default RE: DID AMA REVOKE YOUR MEMBERSHIP?

Free is free.

They can't do either.

If someone sends you something unsolicited, you do not under any circumstances have to pay for it and they can't use strong arm tactics to try to make you.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I kept mine, didn't pay a dime for it, and thanked them (in my mind) for the free gift. They haven't revoked my membership.

Like Andy said above, it's an unsolicited gift, and USPS regulations are clear about unsolicited gifts.

Rick
Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No honor? Is not the AMA Worth supporting? More is spent on beer than the cost of the CD.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:58 PM

mt - What part of 'unsolicited' confuses you? Using your logic we should accept anything that AMA and their 'partners' wanted to send us and charge us for later, right?

For them to now state that one can decide to opt out of them selling or giving a third party my name and other info by checking a box on the membership form is backasswards. The requirement should be that AMA - or any other orgganization - should only be able to sell or give my info to another party if I expressly consent to it.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:38 AM

Kinda like the Muncie Site? Nobody asked they just did it. Were just supposed to set back and watch.
Mike
Old 11-24-2005, 01:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I now have a stack of six dunning letters from the original mailing and no I would never send that back from an unsolicited mailing (I did in fact give it away to a newbie). This type of marketing is in fact aginst federal postal laws which was only just avioded by the narrowest of margins with a few hidden words within the original paperwork and all subsiquent letters were with wording more obvious. Apparently changed when the AMA discovered the backlash this very ill advised sleezy marketing scam was sure to cause. Many of our locals are in fact droping membership because this type of membership harasement, Thats a fact not heresay.

Make no mistake don't confuse this program with the other programs such as the credit card program, that is no problem and junk mail is fine, you can discard it at will or use it. I,ve no problem with AMA making a buck but this sleezy, disgusting and only marginally legal CD scam was and is a big mistake for AMA.

John
Old 11-24-2005, 02:36 PM

John - To keep from getting any more dunning letters, you may wish to do what my brother and I did on the very day that we received the unsolicited DVD. That was to send emails to all the board members, the exec. director and our district vp outling our concerns and anger and demanding that they get in touch with the 'marketing partner' and have them (the 'marketing partner') remove us from their lists of all kinds and for them to then send us written confirmation that they had complkied with our demands, and furthermore, for them to also inform any other 'partners' (such as the credit card folks) to ensure that we weren't on their lists. It took a few exchanges of emails with Dave Brown, the Exec. director and the District VP, who as usual was less that useless (at the time I lived in Mchigan), but it all got done. My DVD is currently a coaster next to my computer.

Interestingly, at the time we first made our protest clear, all at AMA said that the overwhelming majority of members liked the DVD program.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:54 PM

as you said " All of the Weenies at headquarters liked the idea. thats why they are still there with a few thousand Usless CD's, only good for target practice. they got sold an advertiseing bill of goods and our dues payed for it. its another happening to forget. somehow Muncie will survive. these are rough times on a lot of frasternal organizations. there is still a NEED for AMA to get with the world and take care of the old time modelers, who are their backbone of support. that is if we get busy and support them in the proper manner. dick stamm
Old 11-27-2005, 08:46 AM

Actually, at least according to the folks at AMA, the only good thing about the DVD issue was that no AMA dollars went toward it. All expenses were borne by the 'partner'. My issue wasn't with any expenditures by AMA for this mailing/marketing, it was with the basic concept of them giving my information away without my explicit permission.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:58 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Does anyone here seriously think AMA HQ would revoke your membership for not paying for that DVD? If so, I feel REALLY bad for you, living in a world of imagined paranoia where everyone is out to get you. It must be a living hell.

FYI, it's no skin off AMA HQ's nose whether you pay or not. The independent marketing company that ran that campaign knew full well, and EXPECTED, that a good portion of these DVDs wouldn't be returned or paid for. Why do you think the content of the DVD is only so-so (some may say it sucks, even)? They're not going to give out their best stuff for free. It's called MARKETING, people. Of course they're going to try to strong-arm you into paying. It's your responsibility to be a smart consumer and know that when something comes in the mail that you didn't ask for, it's yours to do with whatever you choose.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Does anyone here seriously think AMA HQ would revoke your membership for not paying for that DVD? If so, I feel REALLY bad for
Matt.. Come on. Did you really think I meant that AMA would cancel a membership? I just wanted to get the ball rolling on peoples thoughts regarding a rediculas "Marketing Ploy" by initiated by AMA.

However, in this day and age, you never know until you've checked your credit rating what exactly happens in the background. To some, the way the original packaging and follow-up letters could have been misconstrued as "a requirement" to be a "good" AMA member in good standing.

I once had a magazine subscription "automatically" sent to me without my knowledge or permission. I tossed the magazine and all of the follow-up request for payment letters. Only later I found out that I had a black mark on my credit because of this. It took hours to get it straightend out, and of course, the Marketing Firm had all the time in the world.. I didn't.

So, be parinoid? No. Be cautious? YES
Old 11-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Matt.. Come on. Did you really think I meant that AMA would cancel a membership? I just wanted to get the ball rolling on peoples thoughts regarding a rediculas "Marketing Ploy" by initiated by AMA.

John Murdoch
Why not ask a more reasonable question in the first place in the future, instead of one that is off the wall enough to get the type of responses you got, including one which seemingly offended your sensibilities?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:45 PM

I kept mine and did not pay!
I have also recieved 6 letters written on AMA letterhead requesting I pay or return the dvd.
I know I do not have to pay for it and I won't. Nor would I like anymore dvd's sent.
These letters are not free, and are being payed for by AMA funds not a third party.
I would assume there are many people such as myself who have recieved letters, and I would like to know how much the cost has added up to.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This was an advertising stunt intended to bring in a few extra dollars that failed. AMA just wants to forget about it and hopefully learned a lesson. That is the response I got when I called HQ and telling them to quit bothering me with direct mail marketing.

I just hope they don't start dropping turkeys out of airplanes next.