Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 AMA Discounts for Disabled Flyers >

AMA Discounts for Disabled Flyers

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Discounts for Disabled Flyers

Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AMA Discounts for Disabled Flyers

Wow ... some of these replies seem a bit harsh.

All I can say is that if I knew of anyone who is in (or wanted to join) any of the RC clubs I'm in, who was handicapped and genuinely needed some assistance in paying his AMA or club dues, I'd pay it for him / her in a heartbeat. Being unable to work leaves many such people going stir crazy if they don't have a hobby to distract them, and I have no issue helping out where it's needed. Now, if the person in question was flying multi-thousand dollar IMAC airplanes, jets, etc., I'd figure there was no genuine need, and they could afford their own AMA or club membership, but for anyone playing with the lower end toys and in genuine need - I'd be honoured to help.

Maybe the harshness of some replies is because some people feel they are being conned about whether the need is in fact genuine ? I know that for a while, when I lived in the UK, "spazzing" was a popular con ... able-bodied people would do door-to-door sales of ordinary household goods at vastly inflated prices, with the guy faking spastic symptoms, and making a fortune off of people who would buy goods out of sympathy ; when the truth came out about how this was nothing more than a con, the enormous backlash caused such a distrust of "disabled" people, that charities etc all suffered big-time. Maybe some of the people here are just similiarly distrustful ?

Later,
Gordon
Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Terry, Ramon and Gordon. I think that about sums it up.
Some folks just want to understand, some try to explain. Gordon is right. A bad taste is left by those that defraud. Disabled is now such a broad term that it sometimes defies logic.
Happy flying.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:58 PM

One thing more,
it's just an observation I made about the disabled after becoming one myself.

Before I became disabled the only things that were ever said about anyone that was disabled was something like - "yeah, he or she is riding the disability bandwagon" or "they're to lazy to work so they're drawing disability". All this was said with that knowing look and/or a wink of the eye. So I naturally thought that those on disability just didn't want to work.

After becoming disabled myself, I couldn't find ANY of those that didn't want to work. What I did find was those just like myself that just wanted to be "normal" again and work and have a "normal" lifestyle. I still hear about all those that are drawing disability that could be working - but I still haven't meet the first one of these yet, even after all these years.
I've come to the conclusion that if those people do exist, they are few and far between. Common sense says that a person can make many many times more money working than getting the small disability checks that are common for the disabled. And, no matter what some of you may think, there is much more satisfaction to working than sitting home doing nothing.
It's one of those things one finds out very quickly when in this situation.

I hope the truth isn't too harsh for those reading this. But sometimes life just gets that way.
And I'm glad that, by Gods grace, I can still pay the full amount. It could be worse you know. But God is good to provide for His children.

Ramon
Old 11-02-2005, 02:08 PM

Hey Ramon, I actually know a couple that like being on the diabled list. The difference is they faked getting on it. I have a bro-in-law that's been on welfare forever. Likes it but *****es all the time about how he's broke all the time. Go figure.But by and large Ramon is right. Disabled folk don't like being disabled. I'd like to go running with my dog. Or better yet, my grand kid. But we are who we are.
I'm off to try to build a little fan jet. Maybe it'll fly.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Let me add here also as I am disabled. I lost my ability to do what I loved as a job many years ago (law enforcement) and the disability just kept getting worse. Do I like being this way and getting a low check every month?? Hell no! I haven't been able to run in 30 years, go hiking or skiing, nothing and you will never know hom much I envy those that can. It's hard watching the rest of the world having fun while you sit and take pain pills just so you can watch. Many have told me to just suck it up as it can't be all that bad, spoken like a true able bodied person. I am right now waiting to see the back surgeon as things have gone really bad and it's all I can do to walk from one room to another and I spent my summer not in the shop or the field but on my front porch, day in and day out, try it sometime and tell me how long it took you to crazy from the boredom and pain!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:42 PM

Go get 'em Art. It's not often you get the chance. As a Green Beret, you know how.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 PM

Hey Ramon, I actually know a couple that like being on the diabled list. The difference is they faked getting on it.
That is a surprise that they can get away with that. With medical science being what it is today - I thought that "faking it" was just about impossible, but I guess some can still find a way. With some of the tests they have done just on me at the VA hospital, they could tell how much of the nerve was still alive and how much was gone and even if the motor end was still functioning or already dead. They can tell how much damage is being done to the internal organs also due to the nerve problems and also due to the pain meds. With one test, that I don't remember the name of, they could pretty much map out the most painful areas of my body. I remember one where the doctor was going into the nerves in my spine with a small tube to inject some medicine, with him being guided by pictures being taken of my back as he went. Not the most pleasant thing in the world.

Now if they could just figure out how to fix the problems.

Let me add here also as I am disabled. I lost my ability to do what I loved as a job many years ago (law enforcement) and the disability just kept getting worse. Do I like being this way and getting a low check every month?? Hell no! I haven't been able to run in 30 years, go hiking or skiing, nothing and you will never know hom much I envy those that can. It's hard watching the rest of the world having fun while you sit and take pain pills just so you can watch.
Exactly my feelings -- Thanks for the post.

Many have told me to just suck it up as it can't be all that bad, spoken like a true able bodied person.
Yes - I have had some of that also. When they do that, I just hope and pray that THEY never become disabled because they are in for a surprise and they are going to have a very rude awakening.

As a man that I call a friend said just the other day - there is some reason for this and all part of a plan that I don't understand at this time - But God knows best and is never wrong.

Many thanks to those of you that have shown understanding and compassion. God Bless You.
To the others - God Help You.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:22 PM

the doctor was going into the nerves in my spine with a small tube to inject some medicine, with him being guided by pictures being taken of my back as he went. Not the most pleasant thing in the world.
It's called a spinal nerve block and have had a few myself, last one a month ago and it lasted for a whole week![&o] Yes they are very unpleasant and painful but great if they work.[&o]
Old 11-05-2005, 12:09 AM

ok, I am not disabled. I have an electric plane, probably the unsafest piece of carp up there, it's cheap, but it flies, I've modified it had fun with it. BUT for no reasonwhatsoever will anyone catch me with a worthless AMA membership card. Who wants to go fly at a place where I hafta have a card? Ya know, I don't fly over houses or peopel or cars, If for some stupid reason I think there is anydanger of my plane hurting someone or other's property, I will and have intentionally crashed it. I also exercise common sense. I know where there are some really big open feilds, ( soybean fields are beautiful) so why would I bother spending $58 on something I have no need of. Now if for some reason a person has no other option than to fly at a feild that requires this membership, and they are disabled, i feel sorry for them, first for having the major disability of having the freedom of flight being reigned in by stupid regulated clubs, second for the way the idot morons on this thread have perceived them to be. oh as an example of how intelligent the local flying club is,, they have a sign at the field,, it says, feild closed, fly at new field, no phone number for those who might wanna join the club, no direction or address of the new field,,, yeah,, smart,, I'll skip that. I'd rather teach my girlfereind how to fly than fly with some uptight farks.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 PM

Thanks to all who have taken the time to share a little about themselfs. GrnBrt, is right as far as some of the tests done with dye. I have had numerous Discograms, which in turn is done with hitech cameras, then they wake you and ask if you can feel the pressure of the fluid they inject into the spinal canal and right into the disks. It was then I heard the nurses say "Dr.....its leaking out all over the place" next thing I new I was rushed again to the OR to try to mend or seal the leaking disks, and Anular tears.
Loubud, Ramon, and to the many others that go through what I do each and every day.....My hats off to you. As far as the excellent question about the medications.......wow some people have no clue LOL Demoral ya right.....that was a good choice many years ago for me....but now I wake up to 210 mg of straight Morphine, followed by a few vicodine 10 grain chasers throughout the day.....the 750 ES just didnt seem to work anymore, then theres the numerous other pills they have.....and when the pain is totally un-bearable I just try to deal with it......because I would rather have a little or even alot of pain.....than not be able to function with my kids or other friends. Please remember......I have been prescribed these meds.......Its called Pain Mgt, and I see a Dr every month. Is it legal to drive......you betcha, because its prescribed. I have had Nanogram Tests done and though my levels might not be in the legal limits....its whats called a judgement call by the local authoritys and I have not been told to surrender my License as of yet. So does this mean I should not fly.......LOL in my case I crash so this rule doesnt apply but for a normal person who has control on there meds this is not an issue. I have made a bunch of new friends in this hobby, and thank God each and every day that I wake up. To the people who just dont get it......or didnt understand the original question............have a nice day.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 AM

Just noticed where you are at, small world. I have fond memories of swimming up at the dam there in Littlerock but heck that was back in the 50's when I was a young teen living in Palmdale.[X(]
Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 PM

Hello Art. Due to my injury I have lost my house, in Littlerock....but now live north east out in the Lancaster hills, in a quiet town called Alta Vista. Just south of the base. The damm has had a complete facelift, and they have raised the spillway nearly 15 feet.....added some day use area picknick tables....and a few over night camp sites. They have opened up the back side of the damm for 4x4s and off road vehicles. The lake is stocked each and every thursday with 12" plus trout.....If you had fun back in the day.....its a whole new damm now Glad you know the area. Hope all goes well with the back Dr.......Things will get better......it just takes time to adjust to a new way of life Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 04:01 PM

Ah Ha! You're disabled so it should be discounted for you. Interesting. Why should I and other able-bodied folks supplement where you cannot? What good comes of it?

Kraus
Old 11-11-2005, 04:39 PM

Hey Kraus. What EXACTLY was the question?
Better dead than Red.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:05 PM

airbatic,

Exactly what do you care? You feel deprived because you don't get the discount? How exactly is that supplementing anything?

The whole deal is if folks can't afford it, and you make it affordable, you MIGHT just get something where before you had nothing. You do get that right? If by lets say discounting the price $20 and get 500 folks to sign up, thats another $19,000 for the year. Hardly chump change.

GrnBrt,

Everytime I see your Avatar I laugh my butt off. Thats EXACTLY what he looks like he is saying. Good war face!
Old 11-11-2005, 05:32 PM
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: airbatic
Ah Ha! You're disabled so it should be discounted for you. Interesting. Why should I and other able-bodied folks supplement where you cannot? What good comes of it?
... don't stop there ...

Why should working-age adults subsidize kids' or senior's AMA membership ?
Why should a non-parent subsidize the schooling etc for other people's kids ?
Why should an American tax-payer subsidize other countries via economic aid, etc ?
Why should a legal American citizen subsidize medical care, schooling etc for illegal immigrants ?
Why should people who opposed starting another war have to subsidize it's cost via their taxes ?
Why should a non-smoker subsidize the health care of those who choose to smoke ?
Why should an insured motorist have to pay even more to cover the fact that others choose to disobey the law and carry no insurance ?
Why should those who keep themselves fit have to subsidize the health care for those who are obese ?
Why should those who don't abuse their homeowner's insurance have to subsidize those who do abuse it ?
Why should those who aren't environmental fanatics subsidize the plans of those who are ?
etc., etc., etc...

The list goes on & on. Everyone subsidizes others in one way or another, and in all liklihood everyone is subsidized by others in one way or another. Good luck in trying to change all of that.

Gordon
Old 11-11-2005, 05:41 PM

Very good point Gordon, but those are pretty much necessities which are needed or affect us in everyday life. Not hobbies. (except #1 of course)
Old 11-17-2005, 01:07 PM

Loubud, The orginal question was some disabled guy wants a discount on his A.M.A. dues. And the many who do not wish to support the few let him have it. And that's a beautiful doggy you have there.

Liberator, Wrong! The disabilities act the liberals invented in the ninties, makes them disabled folks act as if they're the nation's priority. They are not. To the back seat they go.

Gordon MC, Point very well made. Your input implies one feeding off the many. And that's the trend to which this neation is headed.

Kraus, a.k.a.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:22 PM

So let me guess...you're not disabled, nor do you encounter anyone on a daily basis that is...right?

I love the how the whole "Liberal" word gets tossed in as though it's a bad word. By the way, I voted for Bush in the last election, so go ahead and try to throw that label at me, I dare ya.

The Americans with Disabilities Act does not put disabled folks out as the priority, it makes sure that they have a fair and even voice, access into buildings, bathrooms, ETC. among various other items.
The very reason that it was invented was because backward thinking, self rightous, neanderthalic idiots have never cared about folks that are disabled. Since that was the case, laws were made to force the issue, and frankly I applaude the laws. It is a sign of a more mature and caring society.

I would imagine that the law probably really ticks you off...and for the record, that tickles me to death.

Smell that?????

I smell troll.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:39 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Liberator,
While I am glad that law tickles you and I agree it was necessary to get the proper care and attention for our disabled brethern, I still hate it because it contributes to the full employment of lawyers, as do other 'protective' laws. Check the actual cost of medical care if the cost of lawyers was removed, which happens to include lots and lots of simple paperwork. Check the costs of lots of things where someone from the government has 'helped' us. Sorry, I really have a problem with the 'big brother' approach to almost anything, but that is a personal opinion.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:40 PM

So liberator, to even up things for the disabled means extra, unnecessary money spent on additional restroom fixtures, cement ramps, etc.

So to close, "Round 'em up! Yee ha!"

airbatic out
Old 11-17-2005, 04:49 PM

Jim,

The law does not "tickle me to death", the fact that it makes airbatic angry is what I think is funny.
The fact that, as a society, we don't automatically make arrangements for disabled people but instead are actually forced to make these changes? Means that we sort of get what we deserve in my opinion.

We have always had disabled folks and always will, it's how we respond that sets us apart.

airbatic,

Now I'm just confused, what are you saying/asking? Yes we need to "even" things up by putting in very necessary ramp, doors, lower drinking fountains and anything else that is appropriate to make ALL individuals feel welcome and comfortable.

I certainly hope for you're sake that you never become disabled airbatic. That would be a HUGE piece of humble pie you would have to swallow, but I would happily force feed it to you...just to help you out.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:06 PM

Gee willakers fellas.
First off, the question was the guy asking if there was a discount for disabled dudes and dudettes. Check out the first post and look for the "if". The ADA law was signed by Pres. Nixon and written by a Democrat controlled House and Senate. Plenty of blame to go around if you feel the need to blame anyone. The original law has grown to the point to where the original intent is now lost. That's the problem as I see it. In 1996, the Republican Congress wrote a law that was signed by Pres. Clinton that removed from the ADA dissabilites related to heroin addiction,drug addicts and alcoholics. Turned out these guys could apply for Social Security Benifits, recieve cash and be considered disabled and we all payed for it. Plenty of congrats to go around here if you see the need. Of course I don't need a ramp to the bathroom as I still pee on trees. Good enough for the doggy, good enough for me.
Better dead than Red.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:14 PM
My Feedback: (38)

i've seen a lot of people that should have been flying under the influence of drugs it would have been safer my two cents is ama should give a discount to the disabled as they do to youth or extra household member and we all will survive
Old 12-05-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just had an ugly thought......

What if the AMA went the other direction, since it is based on liability coverage, and increases the rate of a disabled person because they may induce a higher risk? The insruance company sees all those people with one eyes, arms, and legs flying airplanes as a risk by coming up with all sorts of excuses that these folks don't meet the norm thus need to be charged higher rates.

A close relative just had this happen to his car insurance. He ended up 95% permant disabled due to a leg injury and had a history of seizures and they jacked up his rates high enough to disuade him from driving.

Scott