Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 AMA Discounts for Disabled Flyers >

AMA Discounts for Disabled Flyers

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Discounts for Disabled Flyers

Old 08-30-2005, 05:45 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA Discounts for Disabled Flyers

I have just one question. Does the AMA give a discount or some sort of lifetime membership for people who are 100% disabled for life? I can no longer afford to pay yearly dues, and have sent many e mails with unanswered questions, all being the same one I am asking here. I too would like to be part of the AMA, and fly at some of the best clubs or sites with ADA approved restrooms and parking. But under the circumstances, I guess I will have to fly without my AMA card at locations not approved, or catered to handicapped people.
Thanks for the memories T.J. Kigar
Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA Discounts for Disabled Flyers

I have one question. How if you are 100% disabled how can you use a keyboard to send messages, how can you fly R/C, how can you maintain a model, set it up, how will you get to the flying site? In the R/C hobby the AMA dues are an insignificant expense considering everything else you need to participate.

I truly feel sorry for people that are dissabled in any way, and go out of my way to help them become un-dissabled.

How can we help you?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

How if you are 100% disabled how can you use a keyboard to send messages, how can you fly R/C, how can you maintain a model, set it up, how will you get to the flying site? In the R/C hobby the AMA dues are an insignificant expense considering everything else you need to participate.

Good questions Red.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:58 PM

TJ
After reading these posts you may be better of than you think, Some do not know what the handicaped can do and do better than use with all our faculties
Old 08-30-2005, 07:22 PM

i'm still waiting for the starving college student...
Old 08-30-2005, 07:58 PM

If you were actually disabled, you would have a lot more time to fly, therefore, more time to have an accident. However, after a little browsing, it seems you spend a lot of time in a boat, TROLLING...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:39 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a friend of mine is a quad, 100% paralized, yet he can fly and get this, drive a car. he has some movement with hands and toes, I spent some time with him teaching how to fly. i bought a car out of the area about 12 years ago. i needed a ride to pick it up, and sammy drove me. i was amazed watching him drive.

does he need or deserve discounted rates? no. If you want to enjoy this hobby, WELCOME.
but be like the rest of us. Ama yearly dues are not that bad. same price as a tank full of gas.

mark
Old 08-30-2005, 10:02 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: smokingcrater

i'm still waiting for the starving college student...
I think we did that last year...
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

If we (because the AMA really is all of us that are members) give discounts for certain classes where do we stop?

The youth I can see, they need to get involved if the hobby is to grow and move forward.

But how bout teachers? They don't get paid alot. Or do we only give it to teachers that teach aeromodeling? How about our Police or Fire Fighters? Well if we give it to the police and FF's how about the paramedics? Military? What about the guys that are overseas for 6 months out of every year and a half? They certianly deserve a discount. Who decides who gets and doesnt get the discount?

Like Trivol says, it costs less than filling up my wife's Suburban.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM

It also costs less than filling up HIS Suburban.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 AM

wow tough crowd!!! Ok I already posted this at another site...........so head on over to RCGroups and read the ama post there, or someone else please copy and paste.
BHole74 excuse me sir? a troll? you need your a** kicked for saying that. and yes I do own a suburban too. I am glad you can read or find posts by me. Sir walk a mile in my shoes or limp with a cane as I do. It was not my fault I got run over by a steam roller. I was curious if they had a discout rate or if there was something that they offered. I was in no way of asking for free if it wasnt deserved. Red also comented about my avatar on the other forums. Wow just goes to show you some people in the state of Newberry, FL are just plain stupid LOL. Yes Red I am talking about you. someone shopuld just lock this thread as this is going no where. have a nice day.............me I am going to get another shot of moraphine, take a few oxycotin, and wait for friday to go get the fluid drained from my leaking back. you guys can go back to talking bad about a person Good day
Old 08-31-2005, 02:07 PM

I'm sorry tkigar, but reading your posts in the revver thread doesn't sound anything like the person who is posting here who suddenly doesn't have a pot to pi$$ in. Maybe you should just send in your $58 before you decide to fill up that 44 gallon gas tank and pull the camper trailer from your new house on 88 acres up into the mountains for a weekend getaway, with video camera and cell phone in hand.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:14 PM
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: tkigar

I have just one question. Does the AMA give a discount or some sort of lifetime membership for people who are 100% disabled for life? I can no longer afford to pay yearly dues, and have sent many e mails with unanswered questions, all being the same one I am asking here. I too would like to be part of the AMA, and fly at some of the best clubs or sites with ADA approved restrooms and parking. But under the circumstances, I guess I will have to fly without my AMA card at locations not approved, or catered to handicapped people.
TJ,

How can you afford an R/C model anything or club dues if you can't afford $5 a month for AMA insurance? If you're flying at non-AMA sites, then you should have homeowner's insurance. If you're poor now, imagine how poor you'd be if someone sued you for damage, or heaven forbid, injuring a person.

Daren
Old 08-31-2005, 02:18 PM

"me I am going to get another shot of moraphine, "

Don't pick up that transmitter afterwards, someone might get killed.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:57 PM

If one is to assume that his injury also contributed to his spelling problems, one can assume that he is on some mind altering drugs. The next question is why he would be flying in direct and open violation of parts of the AMA Safety Code? Clearly he may be uninsured, but seems to feel that is his victims problem.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:04 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Also, please don't think I (and I am sure most of the people here) am making light of your disablity.

However, I detest the idea that people who don't want to be stereotyped because of disabilty or race or sex or whatever reason, then try to come across as if they are owed something because of membership to said group.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:25 PM

I never intended this to be a "what will you do for me now" type of thread. It was a simple question. Is there some sort of discount. It really doesnt matter what it is for as it is not yours or any others, problem other than mine. Yes I love to fly, or should I say crash. I buy alot of diffrent r/c stuff from this board and a few others on the web. I am not a bad guy and do not want to be stereotyped, and nothing is expected in return. 58.00 dollars to me is money that I just wont spend. There is no where in the law that says I cant fly my r/c plane if I am not a member of the AMA. It just means I cant fly at certain spots. Hey no big deal. Tell you what. I will post a few more things in the for sale section ( so stay tuned ) and with the money I make I will pony up and re-new my membership. That way all you hard working guy out there will feel much better that I am not bilking from the system, and I am paying my fare share. Good day to you all T.J.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 PM

Maybe it’s just me but if I were only pulling in $400 a week with a family to support I wouldn’t be spending any money on frivolous items such as flying model airplanes. They come first regardless of my situation.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tkigar

Thanks for the memories T.J. Kigar
About the Emails which you have sent, asking questions that went unanswered - check your Spam filter settings. I frequently see posts on this subject, with subsequent posts by the company or institution, saying they had replied and the poster's filter must have filtered out the Email.

You were on the right track, to ask the AMA. They re the correct people to ask. If you get no Email response, just phone them. They have people on staff who can answer that question immediately.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 08-31-2005, 11:58 PM

Ok I feel the need to respond on this one as some replies have ticked me off a bit. Now first Red asks how can you type etc if you are 100% disabled??? HHMMMMMMM?? I am classified as 100% disabled and I don't seem to have a problem. there are a lot of different to be disablities Red so before you make statements like you did might I suggest you do a little research? Now as far as getting a discount on the AMA dues I say pay the full amount because if you can afford this hobby you can darn well afford the $58 a year.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:48 AM

Umm.. I own a small retail store,butcher shop, and work 6 days a week. Therefore I only am able to fly on Sundays. Also,because I live in Mass. I only have a few months of good flying weather. Can I get a "I work too hard to play as much" discount?
Come on......I am sorry you are disabled, but a discount? Why? Dont you want to be treated like everyone else?
You stated you needed an ADA approved bathroom with ADA approved parking..that stuff costs clubs money to get, so I think if you are in need of these facilities we charge you for them.

Oh and ummm all the drugs and fluid draining from your leaking back...ummm....that is unneccessarily graphic, and may I suggest a few clubs other than mine to fly at?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

Ok I feel the need to respond on this one as some replies have ticked me off a bit. Now first Red asks how can you type etc if you are 100% disabled??? HHMMMMMMM?? I am classified as 100% disabled and I don't seem to have a problem. there are a lot of different to be disablities Red so before you make statements like you did might I suggest you do a little research? Now as far as getting a discount on the AMA dues I say pay the full amount because if you can afford this hobby you can darn well afford the $58 a year.
No disrepect intended, but if a person is 100% disabled but can still type, then they can find a job which they are capable of doing and pay up. It is not the disability which I don't agree with, many people have disabilities, my best friend included, but to live large and then whine about not being to AFFORD $58 per year is absurd.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:25 PM

Red and others
Old 09-01-2005, 01:45 PM

Red and others,

100% disabled. You need to think before you type. I have a son that I conceder 100% disabled but we both enjoy flying RC.

My son has autism. There are many levels of autism and he is completely there. Yes some are called that will not make eye contact and some rock.

Ronnie and I fly every week if not twice a week. We are getting ready to go to Taylor MO for the MDA fun fly tomorrow morning We also work on our planes together during the week. I even took him to a Probro event and they welcomed him.

Don't get me wrong I am not crying about this. I love both of my sons with all my hart and mind. The point I am making is 100% disabled people can enjoy the hobby as much as you and I.

Thanks
Crash99

He will never be able to leave home not drive a car (He is 16) live alone ect. 100% disabled would be about right.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: bhole74

No disrepect intended, but if a person is 100% disabled but can still type, then they can find a job which they are capable of doing and pay up. It is not the disability which I don't agree with, many people have disabilities, my best friend included, but to live large and then whine about not being to AFFORD $58 per year is absurd.
Geez, I thought I was way over to the right of center and expect people to be self-sufficient and all that, but some of you guys are making Pat Robertson look like he's in the camp of Hillary and that other fat rich senator from Mass.

I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if the AMA extended the (optional) discount given seniors to guys with disabilities.

One of the guys I'm coaching is pretty much limited to a wheelchair and O2 tank. He has been a member of AMA and the club for the past 2 years, has made it the field perhaps 5 times, when his health and availability of somebody to drive him allowed. He watched me fly his plane and went home to correct what I told him needed fixing 3 of those times, and flew briefly with assistance on the other two occasions. He can afford it and isn't complaining but it pains me that he is getting so little value for his money.

Abel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.