Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 College student discount >

College student discount

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

College student discount

Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: College student discount

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

When I was going to school, I flew 1/2 A 's. You know, two channel planes with a TD 051 engine. They were cheap, about 15 to 25 dollars. They were high performance. A gallon of fuel lasted for months. And I just didn't belong to the AMA for a few years.

Nowadays, I think many college students just fly E-power planes. They are quiet and you can generally fly on an empty practice field right on campus.

When you rejoin the AMA, they will generally give back your old AMA number. And with that 232 dollars you saved, you can buy text book.[:'(]
PilotFighter-

Seems like a reasonable plan. Some will come back to AMA, others will enjoy the freedom that PF's offer, and some will find other toys are affordable and drop out. I was in the 3rd category. I stayed active in modeling while a student, with 1/2 A powered models equipped with kit-built radios ($7.95 for a superregen Rx kit from World engines) and escapements for control. I flew in empty fields, solo, and no AMA required. After I got my BS in Elex Eng, I could afford other toys that I had coveted - a Chevelle SS with a Tonawanda 396 cu in engine that could do 110 mph in a city block, top of the line Kastle downhill skis and all the associated paraphernalia, a racing catamaran, a Kawasaki dirt bike, a plushly customized van that served well to put my monkish chastity as a starving student far, far behind me, et al. It was 7 years before before I went back to academia to get a MS, and a couple years after that before I rejoined AMA. I saved a bundle in AMA dues!

Abel