Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 College student discount >

College student discount

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

College student discount

Old 11-08-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College student discount

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why doesn't the AMA offer a discount to college students? It seems unfair to me that they give seniors a discount but not students. I know that a lot of seniors are on a 'fixed income', well, try to pay $50+/yr for AMA when you have NO INCOME!!!! Why does one low income demographic get a price break and not another? To me it does not make sense.

I'm sure there are some thoughts on this... Discuss!!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: College student discount

the old folks have already "paid their dues" as it were.....
Old 11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

It is simple.[>:] There are many more Seniors than College students in the AMA.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, there are so few college students in the AMA that the AMA could get a publicity boost by giving college student discounts with little loss of revenue. But then I guess getting publicity would go against AMA policy.

So far as having no income goes, at the regional university were I was, most of the students had jobs. Maybe not the case at the high-prices universities, but meager income seems to me to be more accurate than no income.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:52 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

But then I guess getting publicity would go against AMA policy.

Harsh! You didn't have to bring truth into the argument
Old 11-08-2005, 05:58 PM

[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-08-2005, 06:03 PM
My Feedback: (51)

IMO this is not a cheap hobby, and there is generally some pretty good expenses involved throughout the year. The $58 I spend each year on AMA is a very small expense when compared to other expenses involved.($58= 4 gallon of fuel, 58= 1 or 2 lipo batteries, $58= 15 packs of cigerettes or snuff, $58= 5 cases of GOOD Beer bought for college parties, $58 might fill your cars gas tank if your lucky, etc. I don't want to sound cold here, and I truly wished everyone who wanted the opportunity to be a part of this hobby could, but the fact is that money is best suited to be spent for more important things then Model Airplanes if money is really that hard to come by. One thing a college student on a fixed income can take comfort in, is the fact that they will get a good paying job when they leave college and will be able to buy all the airplanes they want(with wifes approval of course). Another option would be to find a way to earn a little extra money to help support your hobby like picking up aluminum cans around the campus between classes and study.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

IMO this is not a cheap hobby, and there is generally some pretty good expenses involved throughout the year.
that same argument applies to seniors, but that discount exists...

personally I think a college discount should be added, and the senior one removed. (I can't collect on the college one anymore, so I only have to look forward to the senior one in about 40 years...) anyway, you want to attract young people to the hobby, once they already in they are going to remain in if they want.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: teookie

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why doesn't the AMA offer a discount to college students? It seems unfair to me that they give seniors a discount but not students. I know that a lot of seniors are on a 'fixed income', well, try to pay $50+/yr for AMA when you have NO INCOME!!!! Why does one low income demographic get a price break and not another? To me it does not make sense.

Yes, it has been discussed here before. Here is one of the more in-depth discussions on the topic:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...ip%2Cquestions.

We'll never know until somebody asks AMA the question, in the right way. One right way is to get the AMA DVP in your area interested enough in the idea to take the proposal to the EC. Can't offhand think of another one.

Abel
Old 11-08-2005, 06:43 PM
J_R

You are correct… the topic has been discussed here before. At a time when this forum was not used for personal attacks and name calling, that is to say, when ideas were discussed and debated, some members of the EC used to monitor this forum.

A college student made a suggestion that a discount for college students be made available. He did a considerable amount of writing on the subject in this forum. The bottom line was that his VP agreed to take a proposal to the EC. Guess what. When it came to actually putting a proposal together, the college student disappeared… that was the end.

Now, in this forum, so many personal attacks are made that many on the EC that used to monitor this forum no longer do so.

So… if you are serious, I suggest you read the AMA bylaws in the AMA membership manual, available on the AMA site. Within the bylaws is the method so that a member may be able to bring an issue to the attention of the EC. Don’t waste your time here, get to work on a proposal and following the procedure in the bylaws.

Let us know how you come out.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 PM

Back in the 70's I flew free flight with the Thermaleers club in St. Louis. We had two college engineering student members, the brothers Mike and Stan Stoy. Their modeling consisted of building and flying both indoor and outdoor hand launch gliders, which cost maybe a dollar or two apiece to build. Stan set several indoor handlaunch glider records, and Mike won both indoor and outdoor handlaunch glider at one of the Nats. If you really want to build and fly models in college you can do it on a limited budget. To be truthful, however,I don't think the Stoys were all that strapped, and they did spend money traveling to contests and record trials.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:36 PM
My Feedback: (1)

What makes you think that all senior AMA members are so loaded with Social Security money that a discount membership in AMA is meaningless ? Some of us worked our way through life with no chance to go to college. I have some college education but no degree. Fortunately I managed to put away a few bucks for retirement. The total income my wife and I share from SS is $391.00 per month. I planned a long time ago for the end of my income days. The $10.00 a year I save from AMA dues goes for modeling supplies. As luck would have it I have enough to get by fairly comfortably but if I hadn't planned carefully I'd be on the street or in a disabled Veteran's Home. Count your lucky stars that you have a chance to acquire an education and be better off when you do hang up your work shoes. For ten bucks a year you could give up a few soft drinks and make it.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:39 PM

What makes you think that all senior AMA members are so loaded with Social Security money that a discount membership in AMA is meaningless ? Some of us worked our way through life with no chance to go to college. I have some college education but no degree. Fortunately I managed to put away a few bucks for retirement. The total income my wife and I share from SS is $391.00 per month. I planned a long time ago for the end of my income days. The $10.00 a year I save from AMA dues goes for modeling supplies. As luck would have it I have enough to get by fairly comfortably but if I hadn't planned carefully I'd be on the street or in a disabled Veteran's Home. Count your lucky stars that you have a chance to acquire an education and be better off when you do hang up your work shoes. For ten bucks a year you could give up a few soft drinks and make it.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think they should give a BIG discount to the PARENTS of the college student(s)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry
Old 11-09-2005, 05:30 PM

As a college student who is just getting back into the hobby, I definitely at least agree that the parents should get a discount, haha. I'm a full time student and at very rigorous school, and work summers and tutor during the year, and like someone said before, $58 is not much for a full year. The bigger issue for us is time, space (try fitting more than one plane in a dorm room), and often transportation. The only thing that I'd like to see the AMA do differently (and if they do this, and I'm wrong, someone please tell me) is to offer memberships for periods of time shorter than a year. Unfortunately, I just got back into the hobby (after a three year lapse) and have a month and a half of bad flying weather left of the year before I go abroad next semester. I would love to be able to just pay for a two month membership for the rest of the time that I have to fly, and then something like a 7 month membership once I get back. Maybe they do this? I'm not exactly sure, I have not renewed yet. I was mostly frustrated to find that there seem to be no other modelers in my school, and definitely no club. That's what I get for going to a small liberal arts school.

Elliot
Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 PM

Hey, here is what I would like to see. Let's give a big break to the parent's who are sending their kids through college. Those big checks hurt. To think, I could get all kids of airplane stuff and a new van to drive to the field - each year!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:29 AM

" is there a discount for unemployed work fellows?" i happen to be unemployed and i still can afford 58 dollars plus the magazines are nice. c'mon man don't whine about the cost.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:25 PM

well i not sure if i agree with a discount but being in the military for 5 years now i would love to see a montly rate, as i am deployed on submarines for 3-4 months at a time and don't use my membership at all...

just my 2 cents

thomas mcnealy
MT2 USN
Old 12-05-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No reduced rates for nobody, one flat rate for ALL MEMBERS. This is a hobby, if you want to play, you have to pay.

This said by a self paid through college, many times unemployed, having now to save for all his retirement and still pay Social Security, yet still always had a few bucks to send to the AMA for the FULL DUES.

I was dead broke when I ws 19 and joined the AMA, and I expect I won't be any better off when I'm 70 the way my lucks been with money.

It was my local club who helped me out with old planes, used engines, radios, and would invite me to dinner when I was a starving college student. Lets keep it that way, help out our fellow flyers at the local level, and let the AMA show no favoritism towards a certian demographic.

Just my opinion on this whole subject of discounts.

Scott
Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: thomas576

well i not sure if i agree with a discount but being in the military for 5 years now i would love to see a montly rate, as i am deployed on submarines for 3-4 months at a time and don't use my membership at all...

just my 2 cents

thomas mcnealy
MT2 USN

Thomas: Your position, dedication, and job are well respected here. Yet, please consider the vast number of AMA members that spend nearly half the year all weathered in and are not out using their membership. I spent 13 years in the USAF. There were many times that I missed a lot of club flying plus many important -- to me at that time -- contests which at that time I really liked. As you do on your deployments, I too was 'deployed' every several months for 4-6 weeks to stand 'Alert' at various places with thermonuclear weapons. Would it have been worth the money to worry about AMA dues and time away? I never considered such.

There are so many inequities in this life that one could not began to list them all. Even in Marx's wildest dream society the inequities will always survive.
For examples; In this so called "free country" that you are out there defending, if you own any real property, you will always pay school taxes, regardless of whether you have, never have or not have children in school.
You will pay up to 47 cents federal tax on each gallon of fuel you use and you will also pay income tax on that 47 cents which you earned. So you have to earn more than 47Cents so you can pay the income tax and then have enough left to pay the remainder in fuel tax. An absolute rip-off of the working middle classes.
What about your home insurance? Do you cancel your fire insurance when gone away? NA" me for certain.
We can go on and on>>>>>!![:@]

As for AMA dues, think just what a club would have to do to keep its membership roles up-to-date, member wise? There some club member would be spending so much of his modeling time to keep daily records that he just might say "Flock this club, this AMA, and I'm outa' here." Just who hurts in the long run?

Now consider this: Go to your credit union: Borrow $1500. Buy a Life Membership in AMA. Itemize your deductions and deduct $1425 charitable contribution. Collect your $225 -525 tax refund. Pay off the $1500 loan within a year which at 10% with 12 equal months will cost 1582.56 (131.88 mo.). Say you received the minimum of $225 back, then your LIFE membership will have cost you only $1357.56 out of pocket. At the current $58 rate you will pay that in 23 years. Do you think AMA dues and/or whatever insurance is available at that time, will only cost $58. I seriously doubt such.

Best of luck and God Speed you in your adventures.

edit: word correction
Old 12-05-2005, 01:51 PM

I can honestly say since I can only fly a few times a year the $58 membership fee just isn't worth it for me. I will probably re-join the AMA once I am out of college but for now I'll just resort to flying my cousin's private property. I just can't justify paying that much money while my planes sit on a shelf 650 miles away for most of the year.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

<snip>
Now consider this: Go to your credit union: Borrow $1500. Buy a Life Membership in AMA. Itemize your deductions and deduct $1425 charitable contribution. Collect your $225 -525 tax refund. Pay off the $1500 loan within a year which at 10% with 12 equal months will cost 1582.56 (131.88 mo.). Say you received the minimum of $225 back, then your LIFE membership will have cost you only $1357.56 out of pocket. At the current $58 rate you will pay that in 23 years. Do you think AMA dues and/or whatever insurance is available at that time, will only cost $58. I seriously doubt such.
Hoss-

Doncha wonder how many guys that are strapped for 58 bucks/yr are going ante up $1357.56 in a year to pay 23 years in advance for the same thing?

Re that trite "if you want to play, you have to pay AMA" canard, that's been proven beyond any reasonable doubt to be nonsense by the fastest growing segment of model airplane enthusiasts - ya'll know about them, the guys Dave Brown wants to dangle a carrot in front of about ten years too late.

Abel

Old 12-05-2005, 05:03 PM

Hoss-

Doncha wonder how many guys that are strapped for 58 bucks/yr are going ante up $1357.56 in a year to pay 23 years in advance for the same thing?
Not really. If anyone can afford to fly RC where AMA is needed, IMO, 58 yankee dollars per year is no big thing. I used to have a neighbor family that were next to losing their house and always "broke". Somehow they could get to Colorado for a couple skiing weeks each winter, and a couple other such trips. They had pizza or such brought in at least 3 nights a week and ate out most of weekend. They and their kids always had the latest fads and styles and a couple new cars every two years.
I know some that "cannot afford" to pay their child-support, but have no problem with staying in the bars Fri. and Sat. nights and all Sunday afternoons.
Those that do not want to be AMA, well, that is their business. OTOH, no need to do any song and dance for my sympathy, if they are flying RC models.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
<snip>
Those that do not want to be AMA, well, that is their business.
Hoss-

I agree, but there are some in AMA that think it is AMA's business, as in survival. I took that as the point of DB's Dec 05 column, though he didn't say it that way.

It might be good business to give college students a break, to extend their low-cost youth membership through tight budget times until they become earners, and then sustaining members of AMA. We'll never know that, as it's pretty obvious from this discussion and others like it in the past that the majority of the current aging membership would revolt if such a program were implemented.

As for "If anyone can afford to fly RC where AMA is needed....," where it is "needed" is shrinking and will clearly continue to do so, as there has been no plausible plan implemented or even discussed to stem and reverse that trend.

Abel
Old 12-05-2005, 08:52 PM
My Feedback: (22)

When I was going to school, I flew 1/2 A 's. You know, two channel planes with a TD 051 engine. They were cheap, about 15 to 25 dollars. They were high performance. A gallon of fuel lasted for months. And I just didn't belong to the AMA for a few years.

Nowadays, I think many college students just fly E-power planes. They are quiet and you can generally fly on an empty practice field right on campus.

When you rejoin the AMA, they will generally give back your old AMA number. And with that 232 dollars you saved, you can buy text book.[:'(]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.