Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA, Whos Intrested in promoting the hobby

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA, Whos Intrested in promoting the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA, Whos Intrested in promoting the hobby

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

I notice the above wording was ''should'' and not ''must''. There is no prohibition against non AMA fling ''uninsured'' with the exception that if the landowner has granted ''exclusive'' flying rights to AMA members, then that prevails.
Exactly...but should "not" is just an opinion of the author(s). Sometimes maybe we "should"...instead of "should not"....
Old 11-01-2009, 07:40 PM
bradpaul

Sure within reason, let them fly, but at some point they will need to make a decision........

TANSTAAFL still applies..........
Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 PM
littlecrankshaf

But I am not talking about a "free lunch"...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
littlecrankshaf

TANSTAAFL still applies..........
BTW you don't seem to mind posting here without paying...whats up with that? Hmmm....so do a lot of other's that make a similar case....I call BS... now what? rationalize that some...
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: 804

<snip quoted text>
That is the club policy. AMA doesn't prevent them from doing that. I think it is great.
And, I think LCS read Robo wrong, too, JMO.
Not what AMA says. From AMA Doc 911:

''To preserve the availability of low cost insurance to your club and its site owner, the people who fly with your club should contribute their share of that cost. They can do so by becoming dues paying members of your AMA charter club as well. In the same vein, if the landowner for your club’s chartered club field has granted the club exclusive flying privileges, the club should ONLY allow AMA members and current members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) to fly at the field. If your club is flying on public land and it has not been granted exclusive flying rights by the public agency in charge, your club activities should be confined to AMA members, and you are not responsible for other (non-AMA) flier’s actions. Should the public agency be named as an additional insured, it has coverage only for the actions of your club, its members, and other visiting AMA members who are considered guests.''

Robo denounced ''me, me, me'' attitudes, but AMA policy does not in any way reflect his altruism.

I expect the way it works for TUFF is the club has not been granted exclusive flying rights by the land owning public entity. That is what takes to make it okay by AMA.

littlecrankshaf- pls enlighten us with facts to supercede my speculation

Cletus
Like I said, it is up to the club and/or landowner to decide. Local rule, as it should be. The wording apparently isn't what you would like to see. For all I know, there may be a legal reason for that. Maybe not.
For an interesting conversation, bring this subject up at your next club meeting, if you are a member of one, and see what the reaction is. Could be enlightening.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:31 PM
KidEpoxy

and the fuller AMA text is (blue by me)
As part of an organization of considerable size, AMA members and clubs pool their resources in order to obtain insurance for themselves and their flying site owners at very low rates. This is a key point to keep in mind when considering the use of club flying sites by non-AMA members. If a flying site owner relies on your insurance for an accident caused on its property by a non-AMA member, your money is being spent to finance the activities of someone who paid nothing for that benefit. More importantly, should this occur at flying sites around the country, imagine the effect on the low insurance premiums that you and your club are now paying!

To preserve the availability of low cost insurance to your club and its site owner, the people who fly with your club should contribute their share of that cost. They can do so by becoming dues paying members of your AMA charter club as well. In the same vein, if the landowner for your club’s chartered club field has granted the club exclusive flying privileges, the club should ONLY allow AMA members and current members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) to fly at the field. If your club is flying on public land and it has not been granted exclusive flying rights by the public agency in charge, your club activities should be confined to AMA members, and you are not responsible for other (non-AMA) flier’s actions. Should the public agency be named as an additional insured, it has coverage only for the actions of your club, its members, and other visiting AMA members who are considered guests
'your money is being spent to finance the activities of someone who paid nothing for that benefit'
And what would that benefit be?
Having the land owned covered by AMA Site Insurance even when non members use the club facilities?
Is that the benefit that the nonmember is assume to not pay for?
Cause it sure aint the magazine
Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

and the fuller AMA text is (blue by me)
As part of an organization of considerable size, AMA members and clubs pool their resources in order to obtain insurance for themselves and their flying site owners at very low rates. This is a key point to keep in mind when considering the use of club flying sites by non-AMA members. If a flying site owner relies on your insurance for an accident caused on its property by a non-AMA member, your money is being spent to finance the activities of someone who paid nothing for that benefit. More importantly, should this occur at flying sites around the country, imagine the effect on the low insurance premiums that you and your club are now paying!

To preserve the availability of low cost insurance to your club and its site owner, the people who fly with your club should contribute their share of that cost. They can do so by becoming dues paying members of your AMA charter club as well. In the same vein, if the landowner for your club’s chartered club field has granted the club exclusive flying privileges, the club should ONLY allow AMA members and current members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) to fly at the field. If your club is flying on public land and it has not been granted exclusive flying rights by the public agency in charge, your club activities should be confined to AMA members, and you are not responsible for other (non-AMA) flier’s actions. Should the public agency be named as an additional insured, it has coverage only for the actions of your club, its members, and other visiting AMA members who are considered guests
'your money is being spent to finance the activities of someone who paid nothing for that benefit'
Having the land owned covered by AMA Site Insurance even when non members use the club facilities?
Cause it sure aint the magazine
Does this prove me wrong?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:21 PM
cj_rumley

It's not having the land owner covered by AMA Site Insurance according to the last sentence of the next paragraph
Should the public agency be named as an additional insured, it has coverage only for the actions of your club, its members, and other visiting AMA members who are considered guests
I think AMA paid some freakin' lawyer to translate whatever they drafted into borderline Swahili.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 PM
KidEpoxy

Cletus-
yup

Have you counted the number of times "should" is used,
vs the number of "must" / "have to" ?

Have you considered what it would mean if we say that
inviting non-ama to fly as a club activity, is an action of the club,
in regards to that last line talking about it has coverage only for the actions of your club, its members, and other visiting AMA?

Ever hear about the trespassing biker that got killed by an AMA club chain(cable?) locking the road?
Its the classic Slip & Fall insurance hit, but taken to a whole new level.

804-
uh... it was just Fast Reply
just getting some more of that text out there so folks dont get the wrong ideas about it
... wrong ideas like Its Clear, or Non Contradictive, or Should Means Must Uh Dont It?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 AM

Cletus-
yup

Have you counted the number of times ''should'' is used,
vs the number of ''must'' / ''have to'' ?

Have you considered what it would mean if we say that
inviting non-ama to fly as a club activity, is an action of the club,
in regards to that last line talking about it has coverage only for the actions of your club, its members, and other visiting AMA?

Ever hear about the trespassing biker that got killed by an AMA club chain(cable?) locking the road?
Its the classic Slip & Fall insurance hit, but taken to a whole new level.

804-
uh... it was just Fast Reply
just getting some more of that text out there so folks dont get the wrong ideas about it
... wrong ideas like Its Clear, or Non Contradictive, or Should Means Must Uh Dont It?
It's pretty clear to me. If a club/landowner wants to get all magnanimous and let non-AMA'ers fly, they better call the Hartford, as per you, via STL.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Robotech

I can't speak for any other and would never pretend to. I do know this, our club has NEVER turned a cold shoulder to anyone who showed even the slightest inclination to take up the hobby we all enjoy. Not the casual visitor just wanting to check it out or the Dad and son with the 27MHz toy in hand.
Here is a quantified and essential difference in its rawest form for one of the base points argued in this forum that many other points are predicated on as well and the very reason philosophies like yours are so diametrically opposed here...and probably always will be.

How someone feels they can qualify someone based on initial contact just amazes the L out of me.

I can personally relay many times a son and father came to the field with a small RTF box foamy and continued on to become ever greater serious modelers.

Robo, it is guys with like mindsets such as yours that are the real detriment to AMA as well as the hobby in general IMO. Now, you can continue on with some suck-up words but the in the end you can either appreciate the truth or continue the farce you believe in…be my guest.
The only thing I can gather from your response is that you have misread/misconstrued what I wrote. Perhaps I didn't compose it correctly.

My point was/is that we extend the hand of friendship to ANYONE, at any level, who has an interest in the hobby.

Someone commented on how we handle the dad and son with the 27Mhz parkflier. Well, we do all we can for them including checking their setup, trimming the plane, reange checking and even flying the first flight for them to get the plane flying as well as it can. Point is that we help all who ask for it and we do all we can to ensure they have a good first experience. We invest what could have been our time to fly our aircraft in assisting possible new aeromodeling enthusiast. First contact is a critical.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:24 AM
KidEpoxy

Someone commented on how we handle the dad and son with the 27Mhz parkflier. Well, we do all we can for them including checking their setup, trimming the plane, reange checking and even flying the first flight for them to get the plane flying as well as it can.
and then send them up,
or send them packing ?

the city of Tyler Tx found a way to send them up, the ama club field helps everyone in the hobby within the Law,
you gonna go that route at your field?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

I can't speak for any other and would never pretend to. I do know this, our club has NEVER turned a cold shoulder to anyone who showed even the slightest inclination to take up the hobby we all enjoy. Not the casual visitor just wanting to check it out or the Dad and son with the 27MHz toy in hand.
Here is a quantified and essential difference in its rawest form for one of the base points argued in this forum that many other points are predicated on as well and the very reason philosophies like yours are so diametrically opposed here...and probably always will be.

How someone feels they can qualify someone based on initial contact just amazes the L out of me.

I can personally relay many times a son and father came to the field with a small RTF box foamy and continued on to become ever greater serious modelers.

Robo, it is guys with like mindsets such as yours that are the real detriment to AMA as well as the hobby in general IMO. Now, you can continue on with some suck-up words but the in the end you can either appreciate the truth or continue the farce you believe in…be my guest.
The only thing I can gather from your response is that you have misread/misconstrued what I wrote. Perhaps I didn't compose it correctly.

My point was/is that we extend the hand of friendship to ANYONE, at any level, who has an interest in the hobby.

Someone commented on how we handle the dad and son with the 27Mhz parkflier. Well, we do all we can for them including checking their setup, trimming the plane, reange checking and even flying the first flight for them to get the plane flying as well as it can. Point is that we help all who ask for it and we do all we can to ensure they have a good first experience. We invest what could have been our time to fly our aircraft in assisting possible new aeromodeling enthusiast. First contact is a critical.
I'll go with your "perhaps" if in fact you meant to say; yes, even the casual visitor just wanting to check it out or the Dad and son with the 27MHz toy in hand… Instead of the negative connotative version;Not the casual visitor just wanting to check it out or the Dad and son with the 27MHz toy in hand.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
cj_rumley

Someone commented on how we handle the dad and son with the 27Mhz parkflier. Well, we do all we can for them including checking their setup, trimming the plane, reange checking and even flying the first flight for them to get the plane flying as well as it can.
and then send them up,
or send them packing ?

the city of Tyler Tx found a way to send them up, the ama club field helps everyone in the hobby within the Law,
Send them off with an offer to help them further when (if) they they come back after getting their AMA cards, as they were by told by others that they "can't fly here without it."
I've done exactly what Robo described, with one more step - before I arrived at the field they had been told not even a card-carrying club member could fly a model airplane owned by a non-AMA member. I offered to buy it (a Hitec Sky Scooter ARF) for 10 bucks, with a condition that either party to the deal could call it off after a test flight. Deal accepted, I checked it over, made a trim flight, then told them I didn't like it and wanted my 10 bucks back. They left happy campers. Whether they ever came back with AMA cards I know not.

Cletus
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Robotech

and then send them up,
or send them packing ?

I've sent more than one of them up. Little parky types that is. Wouldn't you?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:39 PM
KidEpoxy

Not at the AMA chartered club I fly at,
but I used to just that and more 'on the street'.

Is your club doing this activity at the club field?
If so, as I asked others about the BoyScouts in the other thread,
what is your club doing to keep Muncie out of your hair about the club letting nonAMA fly as a club activity?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Robotech

Not at the AMA chartered club I fly at,
but I used to just that and more 'on the street'.

Is your club doing this activity at the club field?
If so, as I asked others about the BoyScouts in the other thread,
what is your club doing to keep Muncie out of your hair about the club letting nonAMA fly as a club activity?
Other than sactioned events, the AMA has no control over who flies at our field. The landowner is the determining factor in who flies at ANY site.

The AMA rules on chatered club membership and santioned events
The landowner rules on everything else
cause we don't want the AMA getting too ruley
no matter, the landowner is the ruliest
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
KidEpoxy

ahhh, ok... the old Club lets them fly uninsured in with the club approach.

Given the attitudes we read online
toward letting uninsured (or otherly insured) folks fly anywhere near their clubs,
I think this would be a tough sell to talk other clubs into doing
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 AM
bradpaul

Round and round and round we go.... where it stops ?????????

As I have said before we let newbie pilots fly, we provide supervision (training) and we recommend they join the AMA. They can fly a few times over a few weeks but at some time they will have to make a decision to fly at parks on there own, or join the club. With either decision at least they were treated with friendship and respect and could at least fly safely.

In the end how a "Club" handles the "father and son" is a "Club" thing and not an "AMA" thing. Do some clubs use the AMA to be exclusive, sure some do, should they?

You see here is where I differ from some here. This is still a somewhat free country, and the right of free association allows groups to make the rule for how they want to offer membership and privileges, all of course subject to the law. If a club want's to be exclusive, I may not agree, I will not defend their policy, but I will defend their right to operate the way they want.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Robotech

toward letting uninsured (or otherly insured) folks fly anywhere near their clubs,
Not if an offering of coffee and donuts precedes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
cj_rumley

You are most certainly right about that. I belong to a club with a BOD that interprets the obtuse AMA position on this (and other matters) to the extent that a kid w/o an AMA card would not be allowed to fly an AMA Cub. Most would agree that's ridiculous, but where should the line be drawn? I suggested the line that has been drawn in Tyler, TX. It can be modulated up or down, preferably with the clubs deciding where to draw it, and AMA deciding as a second best alternative. One way or the other, it would need the endorsement of AMA. As you suggested with the 'attitudes' comment, the AMA-Or-No-Way crowd will oppose it tooth and nail unless/until it is consecrated as the AMA way.

Cletus
Old 11-03-2009, 12:12 PM
littlecrankshaf

Round and round and round we go.... where it stops ?????????

As I have said before we let newbie pilots fly, we provide supervision (training) and we recommend they join the AMA. They can fly a few times over a few weeks but at some time they will have to make a decision to fly at parks on there own, or join the club. With either decision at least they were treated with friendship and respect and could at least fly safely.

In the end how a ''Club'' handles the ''father and son'' is a ''Club'' thing and not an ''AMA'' thing. Do some clubs use the AMA to be exclusive, sure some do, should they?

You see here is where I differ from some here. This is still a somewhat free country, and the right of free association allows groups to make the rule for how they want to offer membership and privileges, all of course subject to the law. If a club want's to be exclusive, I may not agree, I will not defend their policy, but I will defend their right to operate the way they want.
Brad,

I agree...for the most part.

OK the world stopped turning for a moment there.

Only slight variance is that I think AMA should rigorously implant the thought as well as the authorization to allow more interaction with non-AMA modelers at the club level...especially for the beginners and others with a desire to learn more. After all the Academy should be just that… first and foremost...after that, competition and other benefits but promotion of the hobby, first and foremost IMO

Unfortunately, most every thing I read coming from AMA supports an exclusionary rational… i.e. One time buddy box…”We should not allow non-AMA pilots to fly at club site”…must have an intro pilot for more instruction of non-AMA, that is really nothing more than an AMA member paying five more dollars more and doing needless paperwork to be allowed to do so… These type things retard our ability to reach out and expand our base IMO.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:12 PM
KidEpoxy

kudos for you guys
Great to see you guy's clubs choosing to allow the uninsured rest of the hobby to fly there as a decision the club not the ama makes