Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Why are you an AMA member and not a club member? >

Why are you an AMA member and not a club member?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:17 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are you an AMA member and not a club member?

AMA President Dave Brown has, in the past, written that only about half of all AMA members are members of clubs. That means that about 80+ thousand AMA members do not belong to clubs. If you are one of them, why? What is your motivation for joining the AMA?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:36 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why are you an AMA member and not a club member?

When I fell into that category, it was because the sequence went like this :

1. Bought kit
2. Read the literature
3. Joined AMA
4. Built the kit, over a period of many months.
5. Shopped around for a club
6. Renewed AMA membership
7. Crashed at an empty field
8. Fixed the plane
9. Repeat 6 through 8
10. Join club
11. etc.

I am aware of colleagues who dropped out of the club because of family or work obligations, never intending to abandon their planes. Those people have probably maintained AMA membership, just in case they get time to fly.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-21-2005, 12:48 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I joined the AMA because:
1. Insurance
2. Fly at events

I don't join a club because:
1. Closest one is 45 minuts driving time away
2. I hate old crotchety people that take all the fun out of this hobby with politics and backstabbing.

Fritz

Old 11-21-2005, 02:40 PM

I have my own private field. No need to join a club where I have to pay, wait, obey, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing clubs. I just don't require one to enjoy the hobby.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:49 PM

1. Have small field of my own.
2. The other field is not an AMA field nor do those of us that fly there have an organized club.
3. The next closest field that does have a club (nice bunch of guys) isn't near as nice as ours.
4. If we can ever talk anyone out of some flood plain land around here, we will have a club.

P.S. Support the hobby, cover my *****, go to flyins...
Old 11-21-2005, 03:23 PM

To fly at any event you have to have a AMA card. And I think thats great for the insurance. But as far as joining a club go's, In my area, you pretty much have to join one to fly at there field. Myself like most are members at maybe 2-3 clubs so we can fly at different places. Gets a little expensive but worth it. 1 club charges 235.00 per year, the other 2 are 50.00 ea per year.. thats 335.00 per year to fly.. Welcome to California's RC costs to fly [X(]
Old 11-21-2005, 03:47 PM

AMA
insurance
event participation
most clubs require it to fly even as a guest
mag
club
politics
politics
old timers set in their ways
and O' politics
Old 11-21-2005, 06:22 PM

i joined a club here because i was tired of crashing my planes into cars that were parked at high schools, libraries and parks. damaging other people's vehicle's and running off isnt very nice just kidding... i joined because i was new to the hobby and the a.m.a. website offered alot of information about the hobby. i fell in love with the hobby and appreciate the a.m.a. for what they do.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:08 PM

I suppose I belong to the AMA because I am a full scale pilot as well as an RC'er and simply love aviation in general, whether full scale or models. AMA is another adjunct of aviation.
But, I do belong to a very good club of about 45 members and all of the members are just great people to fly and chat with.

3dbob

Nothing like the smell of burning castor oil before breakfast.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:38 PM
My Feedback: (50)

I fly at a public flying field where AMA is required but club membership is not. The flying field is part of the county Park & Recreation system and there is a Model Advisory board of flyers that advises the park administration on model avaition activities and concerns.
It's probably been 10-15 years since I've been a member of a club and I don't miss the politics, boring meetings, etc.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:13 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

already a member of the "big club", so why bother with the little ones.
besides, plenty of politics and intrigue to go around, just being an AMA member.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I belong to two clubs, one 200 miles away, the other 900 miles away. I fly at contests with the first club several times a year, and the second once a year. I get newsletters from both clubs which are about people and airplanes and stuff which interest me. The first club dues are $15/yr, the second $10/yr. Both have dedicated fields on public land. Locally I fly in a nearby churchyard, or in more distant friends' yards.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:22 PM

You guys who are not members of local clubs are missing out on one of the best reasons to be in this hobby and that's camaraderie and friendship. My local flying club flew off my property in the 80s and early 90s. I lost interest in the hobby, wanted to stop having the responsibility of having and caring for a flying field and the local club moved to a new flying field. After 14 years of doing another hobby by myself, I decided it was way more fun enjoying a hobby with other like minded folks. When my interest in R/C came back, I rejoined the AMA and joined my local club, before I even bought a plane to fly!

I had plenty of time flying by myself before. After a dozen or so times doing so, I lost interest, as without someone else to enjoy the hobby with it wasn't near as much fun.

At times there can be political bull involved in being a club member. If your not interested in this, don't be involved in the political bull! It shouldn't stop you from enjoying the really good benefits of being a member in a local club.

Yea, you can feel like a rebel and your walking to the beat of a different drummer and all that good stuff. However, in reality, you are simply missing out on the very best!

Now, if I've offended anyone, that is not my intentions. If your happy doing what you do, keep right on doing it! I have simply given you my opinion!
Old 11-24-2005, 10:16 AM

daboo, Even though some of us don't belong to a "club", we still have buddies to fly with. You are absolutely correct in stating it is much better when you have the camaraderie and friendship. No offense taken, infact, I would like to see more folks show up once in a while. It was considered forming an organized club at one time, but nobody wanted the politics, just a place to fly.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:15 AM

I really think the "idea" of there being politics involved in being a member of an orginized club is way over rated! In the five local clubs I have belonged to for various activities, I don't recall politics being much of a factor! I'm not saying there wasn't any. I'm saying I didn't give that part of it much attention. Most of my fellow members didn't give it much attention, either. Now, if your saying YOU don't like to (or can't) play nicely in the local sand box, by all means stay out of clubs, as those of us who do play nicely don't want you kicking sand on our models!

I have found that people whom play political games generally get board with the rest of us whom are not interested in the "GAME" and move on.

Maybe a non-club is a club, anyway.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:09 PM

Electing officers and a secretary, money handling and complaining about someone not getting their way....politics. I am the one who suggested it hopes we could have fund raisers and such to help pay for "luxuries" for our field. I always have a great time visiting surrounding clubs and meeting new people, it just happens we have the nicest flying site within an hours driving time. Everyone at our field practices safety and courtesy, but we rarely don't see each other unless we make phone calls before heading out. There are evening flyers, morning flyers and weekend flyers. I play just as fair as anyone, so don't assume otherwise.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:41 PM
My Feedback: (58)

I would like to know also but...Maybe? Oh well...
Old 11-25-2005, 09:45 AM

"I play just as fair as anyone, so don't assume otherwise".

I never suggested otherwise and never would! This statement was not specifically addressed towards anyone in particular.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:43 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first started flying........

-Got AMA cuz the local club required it.
-Club didn't ask me to pay cuz I'm miltary and I was leaving within 6months
-Next place the Club dues were around $120.....didn't want to pay at first. Eventually after a few years became a member, then found out I was deploying and then moving and only got to use about 1/3 of my membership time, petitioned for a Military rate or for miltary members to pay for 3months at a time vs the whole year....club voted no. Then I moved.
-Next place you are supposed to have a park pass $15 and AMA........wasn't going to join the club but talked with lots of the members and found out price was only $20. So I joined mainly to give them more numbers and keep the field.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:32 AM

New to the hobby. Joined AMA for the same reason I support the Boy Scouts. I'm not a scout, but it's a good cause, and I hope AMA stays in that oriented to supporting model aviation.
Now, the local club. Clique may be a better word here. A small group fly profile homebuilts, all gas. I became abvious that a paraiah with a small electric was in the wrong place. Twas the coldest place in the desert. So I fly at the local parks, ball fields, etc., with no hassle so far.
As a working full scale pilot, I am not here enough for any continuity, anyway. So I fly alone. But my single seat, single engine days were some of the best days in my life, anyway.

No, I said, "Break ground, and fly into the wind!"
Old 11-28-2005, 07:20 AM

I joined a club because my wife bought me an arf for Christmas. The store salesman told me that a local club would instruct me for free. Before getting qualified I had to join the club and AMA. The majority of the club members are super people, I stay out of the politics and fly my plane. I follow the rules and practice safety, and don't let the petty stuff interere with the joy of flying. My new friends at the club are great. I drive 22 miles mainly because of friendships.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 AM

I can understand, when a club turns a cold shoulder to another aspect of the hobby, another flyers interest in flying alone. I'm very sorry to hear this and am glad this is not the case with my club! I hope you can find some other flying buddies, if you so desire! Good luck!

Mark
Old 11-28-2005, 01:12 PM

I fly at a private field with about 10 others. There is an excellant feild facility owned by a large club a few miles away. But at our private field we have no meetings, committees, stupid regulations, officers, or bone-head members to contend with. We stick to AMA's safety code where we fly and we encourage AMA membership for the insurance and the need for the card if we want to participate in events at clubs around the area.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

A better question might be why be a member of a club & not be a member of the AMA. I joined the AMA solely because all of the clubs in the area required it. I enjoy the comeraderie of flying with like minded people & the only way to do so was to invite 'em out to fly with me or join the AMA so I could join the local clubs. Since I live out in the boonies, the latter made more sense. At least I got a magazine subscription for my troubles.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:57 PM

CSteveC, good response. AMA has good coverage and lots of information. I could fly in the boonies on a strip no one uses. The club I fly with is rather far but I enjoy the guys there, their company and friendship is outstanding[8D], now and then we lose a few as directors change. That is their choice, I fly, have no need for politics as long as I am in good standing I will be asked to return as a member.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.